I need help in my NC farmhouse dining room
jinkie50
I am keeping the table and chairs as they are Tom Seely pieces. Need ideas on paint colors and lighting. thinking of using a pewter light fixture that is in a line design rather than the traditional chandelier.
karemore55
Your paint colors should flow with the rest of the colors in your home. What colors do you have elsewhere, both on walls and furniture, rugs, etc.? I like the idea of the linear lighting - a nice change and will definitely suit the table length. Is this room rectangular? Any other furniture in it? Is it open to other spaces, or somewhat closed off?
September 6, 2013 at 1:06PM        Thanked by jinkie50
Genevieve
I took a glance at what you already have on the table and thought about this colour for the wall
Benjamin Moore Deep Rose

Traditional Curtains
Riverton PC Pendant Bowl
September 6, 2013 at 1:09PM     
Can I talk you into taking off the napkins from the table? Please;)
September 6, 2013 at 1:11PM     
Genevieve
Hold on Margo:)
September 6, 2013 at 1:13PM   
Genevieve
I used the napkins as a reference,now take them away...please:)
http://theyellowroseflorist.com/flowers/fall-flowers/cornucopia-garden.html
September 6, 2013 at 1:15PM   
There is a strong tint in your wood furniture. I suggest trying something darker and in gray tones. BM hampshire gray.

You obviously like your dining furniture, so play it up.
Clarissa Glass Drop Rectangular Chandelier by Pottery Barn
hampshire gray HC101
September 6, 2013 at 1:22PM   
Debp
I think removing the runner and napkins is a good plan. Place a large bowl on the table - even just fill it with fresh fruit. Do let us know about the rest of the adjoining spaces.
September 6, 2013 at 1:23PM   
jinkie50
The runner and napkins could be replaced. I just put them on the table to have something on it. We have just bought this house and there isn't a lot of furniture in it yet. The room is 14 X 14. and has two windows and a door. I will need to add a china cabinet of some sort (ideas on this would also be appreciated. The table and chairs are the only things that are staying. The room flows into the den and stairway. Since I don't have furniture in the den yet, the color for the dining room will influence the den. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment so far. I really do appreciate your comments.
September 6, 2013 at 4:50PM   
jinkie50
I should also mention that this house will be a weekend house for now and that we will move in full time when we retire in a couple of years.
September 6, 2013 at 4:57PM   
karemore55
I'm basing these ideas on a nature theme, taking my cue from your country setting. First the pictures for the wall. Found these on etsy for a good price. You could have them framed in black or white frames and hang in a four square on your long wall.
September 6, 2013 at 6:01PM      Thanked by jinkie50
karemore55
Then the paint color, Healing Aloe by Ben Moore. Reminds me of the grasses, sky, all the lovely blues and greens of nature. Next, curtains - Pottery Barn. If there is another wall that needs adornment, try a large round mirror. Round would mimic the soft edges of your table and chairs whereas a rectangle might put more emphasis on the rectangular shape of the room. My preference would be round. If you will be needing extra chairs at some point, two upholstered chairs that are sympathetic to your country style will look good. And, finally, if you can get away with a credenza style china cabinet, rather than the traditional upright one, I think it would suit your room and keep it looking fresh and contemporary. Please let me know if I'm on the right track. Do you have color preferences, or other artwork you will want to bring into the space that might suggest going in a different direction? I love your wainscotting, by the way!
September 6, 2013 at 6:08PM   
jinkie50
Wow! You have really given me lots to consider. I had not thought about a print for the window treatment. I am and experienced seamstress (and a quilter) so I will probably make my window treatments. Although I do really like the ones you have suggested. I like the paint color--thought about a pale blue or light grey. A mirror would definitely be great to reflect the light. Thank you so much for all of your hard work and insights.
September 6, 2013 at 8:17PM     
karemore55
Well, if you are a seamstress, you absolutely must do your own window treatments! And, since you can sew, I thought about the idea of those Wi door-style chairs having little fabric caps across the backs of them. I have seen it done a couple of times, and its a really cute look. They would fit over the backs of the chairs like little slipcovered, only they would just come down maybe 8" or so. You could do them in the same or a coordinating fabric to the curtains. Also, if you are generally a DIYer, I thought a painted console for a china cabinet would look good. If you can find an old piece and give it a fresh coat of paint, you will add soul to your space. And about the paint color, don't take it literally. I too was picturing a pale robins egg or some beautiful atmospheric blue, because it just seemed so fresh and representative of a new beginning - which it sounds like you will be embarking on!
September 6, 2013 at 8:27PM   
I need help making my dining room blend with my kitchen.
My dining room is open to my kitchen, and my kitchen...
I need help with my built-in, in my dining room
I'd like to put a built-in, in my dining room with...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Updating color scheme
We're changing our color scheme. Out with the red/golden...
Bathroom vanity
I am in the process of renovating the main for of my...
How to update this 70s home.
We are purchasing this home. It's a story and a half....
Color of main bathroom vanity.
I am getting ready to redo a 1960's bathroom. I like...