Help!! Master bath needs serious tweaking!!
katiescarletteSeptember 6, 2013
Hello Houzzers. My husband and I will be in our home for two more years before selling & downsizing. I'm trying to modestly update the areas of our home which are looking dated and our master bath is one of them. It is really a large space but isn't put together well. Here is what I'd like to do and I need all the input I can get!

1) Replace vanity top & sinks with granite or marble.
2) Replace cobalt blue tiles around jacuzzi with same material as the vanity top.
3) Replace prefab shower stall with same material as vanity and tub surround, but in smaller tiles.
4) Paint walls

I have to keep the blue floor tile and the vanity. I can replace the mirror and lighting. What are your thoughts on the material that would look good on top of the vanity, around the tub and on the shower walls. How about the vanity mirror and the lighting around it? How about a wall color - white? Many thanks to you all for reading this post and for giving me your thoughts and suggestions!!!
kadodi
I don't think you should do anything. I don't think it looks that bad or dated. Make everything sparkle and shine when you list it.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 4:56PM
Veronica Lawrence Interior Design
There is a lot you could do to improve the bathroom, it's a good size space. I would: 1. Take out the wall between the shower and the tub and put in a glass enclosed shower. 2. tile the shower back and side walls and floor. 3. Change out the cabinets, countertop and sinks and faucets and lighting - wall sconces left and right of the mirror would be better, makes you look good. You could consider gutting the tub surround and tiling. Can't tell what type of floor you have but porcelain tile would be great.
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 5:03PM
sstarr93
I think this is a very worthwhile project, and will make the house both nicer to live in and easier to sell. The shower stall in particular is a problem. What is that directly in front of the shower stall? Looks like another shower stall.

The room appears to be about 8x12, is that close? Your other ideas are good ones; I would use white marble for the vanity top, with square (or rectangular) undermount or flush-mount sinks with modern hardware. Then the same marble around the tub, which will make the room much lighter.

But back to the shower. While you are tearing this out, you have the opportunity to replace it with something slightly different; do you have a floorplan?
    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 5:04PM
sstarr93
The vanity with a marble top, more like this...
    Bookmark   Thanked by katiescarlette    September 6, 2013 at 5:10PM
Genoveve Serge Interior Design, CID # 6795
Katie, you have beautiful architectural details, your windows could be emphasized & your space could look twice as
large. Yes you need a frameless shower which would open up that corner, new vanity cabinets, appropriate size mirror & new light fixtures. I see you live in the north east & my best recommendation is to contact a professional in your area to help you save both time & money. Your design concept & concrete game plan will keep you focused & project on time. This bathroom can be the real wow factor which sells your home!
Hope that helps,
1 Like    Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 8:44PM
katiescarlette
Hi Genoveve. When you say an "appropriate sized mirror" what dimensions are you suggesting? Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 6:45AM
dclostboy
Carrera micro mosaic between vanity and mirror...same on tub surface. Switch to larger scale tile for shower with mosaic highlight as a stripe. Frameless shower door and don't think you'd need to replace anything else.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:01AM
Your width is fine, it's the wall space between your backsplash & base of mirror. I would clear a min of 2" over a 6" backsplash. The photo I've attached shows the use of split face stone wall. In this case the mirror clears the plumbing fixtures. Hope that helps.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 9:11AM
katiescarlette
Thanks to all who have given their suggestions. My biggest stumbling block was in deciding what color color to use on the vanity, tub, shower and you all seem to agree that a white carrera marble would look good. Should I paint the walls white as well, or do you think the pale blue looks ok?
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 1:48PM
dclostboy
The pale blue is nice...pale gray would add a little more sophistication
1 Like    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 2:00PM
katiescarlette
Dclostboy. Would that look ok with the cobalt blue floors? I can't change those.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 2:05PM
dclostboy
Yep...cobalt in the pics looks to be a dark neutral color...not a bright blue. Should end up soothing and pa like.
    Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 2:37PM
dclostboy
Spa like
    Bookmark   Thanked by katiescarlette    September 7, 2013 at 2:37PM
Ready to start Master Bath remodel in Mid Century Modern home and I need HELP!
We've moved drains, repaired leaks, etc. and concrete...
sarasotagirl
Need help with Master Bath remodel
We have widen the existing opening of our master bath...
ahqlin
Our master bath is in serious need of help
The tub and shower surround are in dire need of being...
Rodney Holdman
Both our master bath and laundry room need serious help!
We have been living with a hole in our bathroom due...
msnella
Need serious help for my master bedroom
I'm finally sick of how my master bedroom looks. The...
smugsy1122
i need new flooring in my 1968 ranch style house in las vegas
I am considering tile or bamboo. I am not sure how...
bunnyhale
Help with dining room?
New construction this is a phot of our dining room,...
bailey510
What color kitchen cabinets look best with black appliances?
I have all black appliances -- frig, stove, microwave,...
fiskelove
Small changes...
Even when a small decision needed (just to choose the...
VANGUARD development
Need help deciding options for opening doorway to kitchen
Any advice? We want to open up the kitchen so are considering...
michelle_ekkert