Colors for my living room?
greenteagirl
Hi, any suggestions please? (pics below)

I just purchased a home and need help with my living room color. The issue is that my living room has many bold colors that I can't change. I have tiles on the floor that have tones of grey, beige and blue. The window trims are fir wood. Also the living room extends to the dining room and also kitchen.

I've painted test samples on the wall: General paint "Kazoo" (darker sample) and "Slinky" (lighter sample). Not sure if either of these work? Any suggestions? Should I go between these two?

Thanks!!!
Essentia Interior Design
Liking the first sample what colour is you furniture?
September 6, 2013 at 9:32PM      Thanked by greenteagirl
greenteagirl
Thanks Essentia Interior Design. Did you mean the 'first colour' as in the darker colour? I don't have any furniture for this space yet but I was thinking of getting a darker couch and two light chairs. Also open to suggestions for furniture too!
September 6, 2013 at 9:36PM   
greenteagirl
Thanks Cat Rowe! I like the color too. The issue with the current color right now is that it feels rather cold and too grey-blue (in person). I live in a rainy city and was hoping to find something that warms up the place.
September 6, 2013 at 9:50PM   
Essentia Interior Design
Yes I meant the deeper colour! Like your ideas for seating, will you go modern or a cottage look? need to make the decicion now, not that you cant mix them up you can but having an idea of what you like really helps?
September 6, 2013 at 10:00PM   
Rina
Hello greenteagirl. This is a lovely room, difficult tiles and all. As far as I can tell, I'd go for the lighter colour. It looks pretty and creamy on my monitor, and the room seems fairly dark. But I've also just looked for images of Restoration Hardware Latte, and it seems to be beautiful. Check the blog http://www.sadieolive.com/2012/02/10/family-room/ for a look at it on walls. It may be perfect for you -- though as usual it looks different in the different pictures the blogger has posted. Worth trying, though.
September 6, 2013 at 11:18PM        Thanked by greenteagirl
Osh Leveque_Perkins
The first thing I would suggest is pick out artwork or large area rugs and pull color choices from that. Take some chances on wall color, get neutral furniture, and add pops of color with accessories and pillows. You can always paint the wood trim white. In some houses, natural wood trim looks amazing and really adds to the character of the architecture. In this case, I think the wood really doesn't make any other statement than the house was built in the 90's or something. Once you have some nice area rugs to define your different areas, fill the space with a beautiful color, great furniture, and interesting artwork and accessories, the floor will not even be noticed.
September 6, 2013 at 11:32PM        Thanked by greenteagirl
suekat12
In my non professional opinion, if it was my house, I'd paint he walls the lighter color to brighten the room and then paint all the doors and woodwork white. I'd also bring in a large area rug to cover a lot of the tile. If there's blue in the tile, I'd go with a tan linen sofa and a pair of blue chairs. Good luck.
September 6, 2013 at 11:41PM        Thanked by greenteagirl
greenteagirl
Thanks for all of your wonderful suggestions. I picked up a couple more paint swatches. The new ones are the first two on the left (see pic below). I like the 1st and 3rd colour.

I've also looked at furniture and here are some of the items that I really liked:
1.) Pottery Barn Cameron Sofa and Loveseat
2.) LazyBoy Recliner (prefer fabric instead of leather)
3.) Chair and a Half

Any suggestions regarding what combination of furniture you would pick out? Any colour suggestions? I was initially going to get two chairs and a sofa but I am worried that it would look too formal.
September 8, 2013 at 10:16PM   
greenteagirl
As for rug and pillows, here are a few that I like. I'm leaning towards cream or beige, with light blue and yellow accents. Any thoughts? Any ideas are totally welcome. I don't really have an eye for design and so I am anxious about making the wrong purchase. Thanks!!!
September 8, 2013 at 10:20PM     
Angelina Vick
How exciting! Congratulations on your new home!

A few thoughts. Go slow, there is no hurry, you have all the time in the world. Less regrets by adding piece by piece versus buying a lot at once.

Search the houzz ideabooks....and start collecting looks that you like. It will help you define what style you like most. And you can share what elements you enjoy....so people can help you get that look.

You have a lot of dark wood and it looks kind of heavy. I would go with a lighter color wall color. I think your instincts for light color accessories are right on. But...it would be better to decide what you want the space to look like overall first. It will prevent you ending up with a mishmash at the end.

Hope that helps. =)
September 8, 2013 at 10:27PM        Thanked by greenteagirl
I need ideas for chairs to go with a table i fell in love with
Here is the table. Medium brown /w/ a golden swirling...
Am I going about this the right way?
So my daughters are getting a bit older, nearly 6....
The exterior of my house is terribly UGly please help!!
I am wanting to paint my home a nice soft green with...
Please help our Patio!
We are renters but have a nice big patio. Currently...
Lighting, paint, media center in my living room
Hello, I have uploaded a discussion about my living...