What color sofa for formal lounge room
patriciai
I would like some advice on the color sofa I should use in this room. It's a formal lounge which will be used very often. The fabric on the curtains are red and gold from Warrick. The sofa I have in there doesn't belong in this room which I'm using as a guide. The sofa I have in mind has rolled arms and scattered cushions. I'm sampling some fabrics at the moment but its very hard to choose. As The rug has a lot of red featured, I would like to stay clear of it. I have polished timber hardwood floors and a full timber bookshelf (not visible in photo but same color as mantle). Some friends tell me to go for a darker color like black or brown and others say of a golden color like the curtains. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
I see a sofa with more formality than the loose pillow style for your room. How about something like this, I even like the green;) I would take away that red shiny runner on the coffee table.

September 7, 2013 at 6:55AM     
Rhonda Bovine
I like the relaxed sofa in the picture with the loose cushions, but the draperies may be a bit too heavy, can you consider changing the window treatments?
September 7, 2013 at 6:58AM   
patriciai
Hi Margo. I never thought about green!! I will have to get a color sample and maybe photoshop your sample into this shot. The red fabric on the table was another sample. I forgot to remove it for photo shoot :) thanks
September 7, 2013 at 7:12AM     
patriciai
Hi Rhonda. I too like the loose cushions. It's a very comfy couch. The drapes have been there for 12 years now and I really do love them. They are very heavy not only in weight but color too but somehow I have to make it work. Plus they cost me a fortune back then.
September 7, 2013 at 7:16AM   
Genevieve
That style that Margo chose I like, not in the green Look for a burgundy /wine

This one would be my choice

September 7, 2013 at 7:27AM      Thanked by patriciai
josepurr
LOVE the sofa Margo recommends for this room! It would be a great fit with the more formal style you seem to be going for. You're room is lovely but the window treatments are dating it.
September 7, 2013 at 7:27AM        Thanked by patriciai
patriciai
josepurr, do you think it's the gold swags on top that make it look a bit dated?
September 7, 2013 at 8:11AM     
*raising hand* patriciai- Yes, the draping valance dates the room. Have you tried removing it and then take a second look;)
September 7, 2013 at 8:22AM     
I also think Navy might look great in this room.;)

September 7, 2013 at 8:27AM        Thanked by patriciai
Keep in mind if this room is used a lot, pillows all over the place, and people trying to adjust themselves within the pillows. A stationary cushioned sofa always looks neat;)
September 7, 2013 at 8:28AM        Thanked by patriciai
Rhonda Bovine
If the panels could be re-worked to just hang loose and remove the swags, that would be helpful. Heck, I have almost the same thing in my living room and you are making me re-think my room as well!
patriciai
Yes Margo, I did think of the pillow situation and as we are getting two of the 2.5 seaters, one will have loose cushions and the other with fixed back and two cushions.
September 7, 2013 at 8:39AM   
patriciai
Rhonda, I was even thinking of removing the swags and using the gold fabric to make a boxed pelmet to minimise the gold??
September 7, 2013 at 8:41AM   
patriciai
Margo, I also like the Navy Blue. Navy Blue is also on the curtains which you cannot see on photo. It is also in the rug. Not a bad choice:) Thank you.
September 7, 2013 at 8:42AM   
Rhonda Bovine
I think you have lots of good choices here and I like the idea of re-purposing and updating. I am definitely a fan of tight back sofas and I love the rolled arms in the pic above.
September 7, 2013 at 9:08AM     
patriciai
Will have to keep you all posted. Am going to view the curtains without the swags and see if I can change the hanging arrangement. Very helpful info. Thanks to all
September 7, 2013 at 9:23AM     
patriciai
Just a small update. I have not removed the swags yet. But, I photoshoped some images in. What do you think?
September 9, 2013 at 2:25AM   
patriciai
more
September 9, 2013 at 2:30AM   
Rhonda Bovine
In my opinion, #1 is too boring, #2 navy is fun and unexpected, but I don't love the style, I really like the style of #3 with the tufted tight back, but not the mushroom color. I don't love #4 in the bright green, #5 &6 in the red is just too much red in the room and I think contrast would be better. Or a red leather side chair maybe.

But where is the caramel color that you first liked? Maybe with the swags absent, that color would be nice.

So, in a nutshell, I vote for style #3 tight back tufted sofa....in a different color (navy or caramel)
September 9, 2013 at 4:02AM     
A Crew of Two
Navy is a great color...it gets my vote. I think it updates the room and keeps it from looking 'heavy' and overdone, but still feels formal.
September 9, 2013 at 4:13AM     
I definetly vote for the Navy in color- NOW, as to the style, that depends on the curtains. If they stay as is, I would do #3 in Navy. My favorite overall is the Navy as shown, but the curtains should change for that one. I know this might be sensitive, BUT, I think you should seriously rethink the curtains. It's a new dawn, it's new day.....and I think Mona would still smile;)
September 9, 2013 at 5:08AM     
patriciai
I still have not removed my swags....
September 14, 2013 at 8:50AM   
Well, get to it;)) I still like the Navy best!
September 14, 2013 at 8:55AM     
OK it's been 5 hours, are the swags down yet? *tapping fingers*
September 14, 2013 at 2:25PM     
mjmil
I love the tight back navy sofa. The red sofa is too much red. I also like the style and color of the green. I think the blue sofa is my favorite.
September 14, 2013 at 8:54PM   
What do you think of these curtains patriciai, they are from Pottery Barn. I think this would freshen up the room with the ivory background but the print would go with your red rug and with any of the sofa's but especially the Navy. Then maybe paint your walls a whisper of cool blue gray Northstar SW6246;)

Flora Embroidered Pole Pocket Drape, 50 x 108", Multicolor
Statum Designs 2012
September 15, 2013 at 4:53AM   
Pros and cons of bamboo flooring
We are about to start building a house and are looking...
Living room dilemmas! I need suggestions
I've been struggling since I moved into our condo with...
Need help with windows
I need suggestions for these bedroom windows. I'm removing...
Need some backsplash tile color ideas
We are on the tail end of a kitchen renovation, just...
What color should I make the bench and table?
My other patio furniture is brown and a set of cream....