Style of chair to go with old wing chair
sarahfellner
I have just moved and our house has a room which we are setting up as the den. We have an older leather wing chair "grampa chair", which is set up facing the bookshelves and tv unit, which is dark brown - almost black. I want to get another chair for the room, but am having a hard time figuring out what style will work. My tastes are transitional to modern - the rest of the house has a mix of modern pieces with a few antiques thrown in. Everything is pretty neutral. Any suggestions on style of chair would be great.
sarahfellner
This is the chair my husband found and loves - I was thinking about this in a green geometric, but not sure about style together with the wing chair.
September 7, 2013 at 7:25PM   
Ann
I don't like that style with the wing chair. But, I'm confused, the chair pictured is light brown, not almost black.
September 7, 2013 at 7:37PM   
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
The wing chair and side table are classic traditional style. The chair that hubby picked is way over to the extreme modern end, and may look unbalanced. Try to find something with very simple, clean lines. Straight arms as opposed to roll, and a straight back, no skirt. If you can find a more transitional print, like a stripe, that would be great. Or go for another solid, in fabric. Maybe an aqua color, or coral color. Then get a patterned pillow with the chair color in it to place on leather chair. If you cannot find a good color, go with a total neutral, and use a colorful rug to "ground and define" the space. Consider painting the side table a bright color, and use pillows and throws that pull the rug colors. Check out various home stores for good deals. You do not have to spend a fortune to have the space look great. Have fun.
September 7, 2013 at 7:42PM   
sarahfellner
I meant that the wall unit is black (not the chair).

Thanks for the suggestions, having such a hard time finding anything where we have moved (limited shopping!) Will keep looking for ideas
September 7, 2013 at 8:02PM     
abbyjean
What about a nice wooden mission style rocker.......fabric seat that can be covered to match your decor.
September 7, 2013 at 9:21PM   
abbyjean
Consider a lamp for the table or a nice floor lamp for the leather chair......would help add to the feel in this den/library room.
September 7, 2013 at 9:22PM   
Open Shelving Design for Kitchen
I'm installing stainless steel style open shelving...
New home owner!
Please help me out. This is our first home and I need...
door handles
would it look ok to use oil rubbed bronze door handles...
Rug please!?
Am I in the right direction? I love the aqua/teal pillows!...
i need help decorating my sitting room. its an open floor plan. i
i have light tile floors and walls. and one green sofa....