Mantle redo please!
restonite
I have rearranged my mantle decorations many times and am never happy with it. Would love to update the fireplace as well but seems to be major expense and work. Would love suggestion on entire family room also. I have 9 grandchildren, two come and visit at least 2 times a week. The room is multi functional: play room, computer room for occasional use, family gatherings, tv video watching. here are some pix to give you an idea of the room.
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
Looks like you have lots of soft contemporary and transitional furniture in the space. Have you thought of painting the brick a creamy color to modernize the look? The stuff on the mantle is too straight across. Try groupings of various heights of items with different textures. For example, group three same colored ceramic vessels of different shapes together on one side. Orange perhaps, to tie back to the stuff on your couch? Or use aqua, which balances great with orange. Just put some aqua accessories around the room to balance the colors. Or, try a mirror on the wall with a painted frame in orange or aqua. Keep the square metal sculpture. Metal and ceramic are great together. Maybe add some wood or other organic stuff. Hang the picture elsewhere. Have fun!
September 7, 2013 at 7:56pm      Thanked by restonite
restonite
would love to paint the brick but i think that would lead to divorce! had a mirror over the mantle at one time but the reflection is a blank wall but maybe if i get one with an orange frame that might work. what a good idea about using aqua. i was thinking the room may need another color since it's mostly beige and browns with orange accents. the square sculpture is actually driftwood as is the fish. good suggestion about incorporating more organic stuff. getting tired of the picture anyway.
September 7, 2013 at 8:05pm   
restonite
marla - just so happens i saw this mirror in wisteria. what do you think. i like the poppy red color but do you think the turquoise might work. looks more like aqua than turquoise. do you think 32"X32" is too small?
http://www.wisteria.com/Mughal-Mirror/productinfo/W9777/POPPY/
September 7, 2013 at 8:17pm   
Tia Rambaran
Hey, I'm not an interior designer or anything but I have some design background. Maybe these thoughts can help you out!

1: Mantle piece decorations: I'd hang that picture higher to give it breathing room (it looks like it's sitting on top of the mantle?). Try breaking the horizontal line that's being created by the top of the curtains & picture frame. Then you can arrange the other pieces evenly across the top or keep two on each side. (In design terms, a horizontal line is usually flat and dull. It's better to break it to create a bit of energy and interest)

Vase: It'd be cool if you had some faux orange flowers and placed it elsewhere in the room?

2. i'm assuming the fireplace, like most living/family rooms, is the main focus as you walk into the space. Therefore, it would be smart to use designs that will complement it (i.e, your curtains could be a dark rusty orange to suit the brick. I see other orange accents, so this might tie the whole space together nicely). Even if you end up upgrading the fireplace, you should try to make the rest of the room work around it.

I'd even try pulling the chairs out and away from the fireplace to reveal it more. Then I'd line up the coffee table with the center of the fireplace if possible. (unless it actually is in line and the perspective is fooling me?). You'd probably have to pull that couch forward a bit, but it looks like it might give nice breathing room at the back???

3. Color: LOVE the orange that's here and there. would love to see more! I see an orange/white theme trying to happen in here. Down the road, if you wanted to do more with this room, I'd go for more upholstery to let the orange shine. Then again, that might look too 'modern' for you. I have to admit, I like the wood furniture.

Attached some orangespiration :D
good luck with everything!
September 7, 2013 at 8:19pm      Thanked by restonite
restonite
thanks so much tia for your suggestions. wasn't sure whether there is too much orange so good to know you thnk i should add some more. i really prefer modern design but am stuck with some past purchases. what do you think about painting one wall orange? if so which wall. i have orange in my mud room and pantry and i love it.
September 7, 2013 at 8:33pm   
Tia Rambaran
Oh yeah, and if you don't want to remodel the fire place, is there any way to paint/change that gold frame to white?? it might add more cohesion. if you're after more contrast, however, you could probably get away with painting the frame & mantle black!
September 7, 2013 at 8:34pm      Thanked by restonite
evamdesign
Also the drapes on the window seem to hide most of the window rather than framing it. I would put in longer rods and give the window some room to stand out alongside the fireplace. Also I agree that an rust orange in the drapes would look good and some drama. And with the height of the ceiling, perhaps a much larger scale painting or mirror over it would help.
evamdesign
Maybe swap out the painting that is just to the left of your tv that has a lot more orange in it with the one above the mantel. And then stack the two matching paintings by the tv area
September 7, 2013 at 8:37pm      Thanked by restonite
Tia Rambaran
Hmm, the wall with that large window would probably be an option. It's a pretty bold move, and you'd have to be careful of the orange you select. Curtains in the orangey colours you're going for would be really fun I think!

actually, my initial reaction was to tell you to paint it orange by the fireplace, but I had some doubts because of the shape of the roof & how tall that area is. I think the wall by the large window is safest and adds a nice surprise for the people walking into the living room from the kitchen :)
September 7, 2013 at 8:40pm      Thanked by restonite
evamdesign
Oh and I love the contemporary furniture you have but the rug is so traditional, any chance you want to change that? It looks like a bit of a clash of a traditionalist vs a modernist in the room
Tia Rambaran
Yeah I agree with evamdesign on the point about the fireplace & height of your room! If you can get something taller than that picture frame to play with the verticality of your room it'd be more energetic.
September 7, 2013 at 8:41pm      Thanked by restonite
Nancy Walton
I would paint the staircase wall orange over to the corner.
September 7, 2013 at 8:45pm      Thanked by restonite
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
Restonite: the shape of the mirror on Wisteria is PERFECT!! I am just afraid the red will not work for you. Only choose an aqua frame if you are willing to scatter in a few other aqua accessories through the space, like a pillow, vase, book covers etc. to balance the high/low of the room. If you do choose to go that way, be sure to put something orange up on that mantle with the aqua mirror.
September 8, 2013 at 9:11am      Thanked by restonite
restonite
marla - i agree that the poppy may not work. love to try the aqua but does entail some investment to make it work. what is the rule of thumb for colors designers talk about? is it 10% accent color, 20% secondary color and 70% mail color? so i guess my main colors are in the beiges, taupes & browns with 20% orange then i can do the 10% aqua. am a bit worried that with the rug the aqua may not look right since there is a slight gold/green in the design of the rug. would love to replace it but it's in very good shape and was very expensive so right now can't justify replacing it. i saw this orange cloud canvas and thought it may work on the mantle also. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Miguel-Paredes-Orange-Clouds-2-panel-Art-Set/5672377/product.html
and the rugs i like if i could swing it: http://www.grandinroad.com/miami-area-rug/area-rugs-door-mats/indoor-area-rugs/contemporary/558210?categoryId=11770&fromCart=true http://www.grandinroad.com/coral-area-rug/364726?fromCart=true http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-woven-Mandara-Orange-Border-Rug-79-x-106/6344913/product.html?TID=CartLayer http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-tufted-Safari-Orange-Wool-Rug-8-x-10/5070560/product.html

then drapes: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Raw-Silk-Terracotta-Curtain-Panel/7949971/product.html
i saw some white and orange horizontal stripe drapes on pintrest but could not figure out where they got it from.

which rug do you like and do you think there will be too much orange?
September 8, 2013 at 10:48am   
SolutionSmiths
It appears that the fireplace is on a wall with a cathedral ceiling or that is very tall. You extend the visual height of the window with the curtains set a foot above the windows. I would recommend extending the height of the fireplace. This could be done with stone up to the ceiling ($$$) or maybe some applied moldings to the wall. Google "Extend fireplace with applied moldings" -- for example, http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2011/11/fireplace-redo.html
September 8, 2013 at 11:59am      Thanked by restonite
Marla Oppenheim: Decorating Consultant
restonite: I would not even bother changing your drapes. Save the $$$. I like the neutral look on the wall., and you can overdo the orange.... If you want them hung higher as some suggest, just extend the length by sewing an 18-20 inch solid fabric on the bottoms with a new hem. Rugs: I like the first one best, but I am always partial to a Moroccan tile pattern. Just looks so great with contemporary or transitional stuff. Second choice would be the one with the orange border. I still think you need to draw that pretty orange you have throughout the room up to the mantle. If it is not a new mirror, than at least an orange vase, or grouping of orange candles.
September 8, 2013 at 12:34pm      Thanked by restonite
restonite
eric - thank you so much. yes it is a two story family room. the ceiling slopes upward toward the back stair case. stone would be impossible because of the expense. should have done it when the house was built. love your idea of applied moldings though. will definitely check into it. do you think it would make the room look too traditional with the moldings?
September 8, 2013 at 1:12pm   
Craigs List is the friend of past purchases that are no longer working out. I think matching the wall color to the background greige shade in the drapes could help unify things. Here's an ideabook on greige. There's lots of squarish-ness going on in your space - try to pull some more curves in. A round coffee table might be the place to start.
September 8, 2013 at 1:14pm      Thanked by restonite
restonite
marla - i will definitely incorporate more orange on the mantle. if i hang the drapes higher how much higher do you think i should go? the wall with the triple window is higher than the fireplace wall window so i hung all drapes following the horizon line of the triple window. that wall is 9' tall maybe i should hang the drapes all the way up that wall and follow suit with the height for the fireplace wall. may be a good idea since it always bothered me that i should have extended the rods to reveal all the window glass.
now i have double reason to redo it!
September 8, 2013 at 1:22pm   
restonite
decoenthusiasste - thank you. i love greige! wish i knew about it when i painted my living dining room top a grey. most of the rooms are a taupe and probably needs redo so hopefully i can paint it a greige. i also agree about too much square in the room. i would love to get a new coffee table but right now it hides all the toys for when my grandchildren visit. if i were to get a new one do you have any suggestions?
September 8, 2013 at 1:29pm   
I think the choice of coffee table might be related to whether or not you eliminate any of the current pieces and what would be left afterwards.
September 8, 2013 at 4:48pm   
Looking for a medium color hardwood floor with little color variation
I don't want something too dark that shows every bit...
Need help for my kitchen
Hi I need help choosing a colour to paint above the...
How to achieve a classic/ elegant/ chic decor ( key pieces)
Please, help me to decor/ furnish my living room.
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...