Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millergina

Please help me w foyer/entry

millergina
10 years ago
Please help me create a dynamic foyer? I'd like it to really pop when you walk in my front door. How can I achieve that?

Comments (21)

• syma1947
    10 years ago
    Chandelier makes a big difference. Also I suggest to remove the table and add a bright oversized art work with a live planter.
    At this point the entry looks very monochromatic and some accent colors and light is needed.
    millergina thanked syma1947
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    A mercury lamp shade and an interesting platter (to catch the car keys)will glam up the foyer.
    Langham Mercury Table Lamp - Damask · More Info

Venezia Leaf Platter, Gold · More Info
    millergina thanked Chem K
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    The mirror seems wrong to me for two reasons -- it's too big, and it's too plain. It's functional to have a mirror in the foyer but as it doesn't reflect anything pretty it needs to be more attractive or fun. Then its size would also draw less attention to itself. Depending on the material of the frame, you might be able to decorate it yourself, as below.

The other thing I would like to see kept on the table is a simple arrangement of flowers -- any colour flowers, but preferably a single colour at any one time, for example daffodils in spring.
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    The blue dots came out too dark, I think. I'll do a less startling version.
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    Your entryway is actually very attractive, but perhaps what you aren't liking about it is the fact that its also very safe and predictable. I think all you need to do to bring a little soul into this space is hang a piece of riveting art on the wall instead of a mirror. Attached is some work by Sharon Cummings, who comments frequently on Houzz. I just love her work! Here's some inspiration for you:
  • Danica Michelle
    10 years ago
    I love your foyer!!! I would just suggest playing with the scale of pieces on the top of the table (maybe a stack of beautiful books to prop the lamp up?) and fresh flowers, of course. Great job!
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    With flowers -- I do see the ones you have there but they are the wrong kind, I think. I'd like to play up the more informal feel of the baskets. These aren't perfectly placed (or drawn), but they give the idea. I also think that probably your sweet white pumpkin should be replaced by a curved bowl that will echo the shape of the mirror.
    millergina thanked Rina
  • karemore55
    10 years ago
    And don't forget a great rug! If you do art and a rug, make sure they don't compete with each other. One is the show stopper, the other is the supporting actor.
    millergina thanked karemore55
  • Angeline K
    10 years ago
    I think that you should take the little decorations off and use some Statement peaces. Also i like the mirror. It will take the space to the next level if you put some extra light. Just keep it simple. Good luck:)
    millergina thanked Angeline K
  • Rina
    10 years ago
    You have a mix of two styles here; the mirror and the baskets have a casual, almost beachy feel, the rest is much more formal. I was going in an informal direction above, but I see everyone else is taking a more sophisticated route and making wonderful suggestions. I particularly like the art karemore55 suggested; talk about impact ... chemayne's lamp and platter are also lovely. Not sure about the chandelier -- the one syma1947 showed is too ball room, I think. But having one is worth thinking about. Angeline's thought about statement pieces is also interesting. In which case, my dotty mirror idea is entirely ignorable. But it was fun to do.
    millergina thanked Rina
  • PRO
    SAI Contracting
    10 years ago
    The mirror facing the front door is bad Feng Shui
    http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshuicures/f/feng-shui-mirror-main-door.htm
    millergina thanked SAI Contracting
  • saratamar
    10 years ago
    I don't think you need to change to much. I would choose a more linear art piece for the wall, maybe a bit smaller. The tall thin items on the console can be replaced by one short, wide bowl placed in the centre. If the baskets can be relocated to a closet, it will open up your space a bit.
    millergina thanked saratamar
  • janeinfo
    10 years ago
    For whatever my two cents are worth, your lamp is too small and so are the accessories. You have a two story stairway so you need larger items. I think the baskets are too casual. If you need baskets, how about some pottery barn types that fit on the middle shelf. If you put things on the floor, I think the eye tends to go there. If you keep everything "up" that is where the eye moves. Also, I kind of like the white mirror, but without knowing your style, I would tone it down with maybe a bubble glass (large) lamp (think pottery barn again) and a cream colored burlap lamp shade. I would also put something shiny like a silver tray in the middle and then maybe a tall bluish solid vase on the right side of the table. Good luck.
    millergina thanked janeinfo
  • PRO
    ArtFromDenise
    10 years ago
    I agree with others about the accessories in your photo - they're too small and not doing much for the space. A nice floral arrangement with heavy pops of color coupled with a black & white zebra painting (with small touches of taupe & blue) would make a bold and dramatic statement. And the beauty is, you can use any color you want in the floral arrangement and change it out with the seasons. If you agree about the zebra art but can't find one you love, I'll be glad to create one for you. A 24"x24" would probably be a good fit.
    millergina thanked ArtFromDenise
  • industrialing
    10 years ago
    Paint the stairs that teal that your using! And chervon pattern the sides.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Replace the mirror with a black one ,the shade of the lamp doesn't really belong there .
    Kenroy Home Black Ice Wall Mirror, Black Ice Finish · More Info

Pacific Coast Lighting Metro Table Lamp, Black · More Info

Bubble Vases · More Info
    millergina thanked Geneviève
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Love the art that Karemore posted ... especially the 3rd one!

A beautiful piece of art to replace the mirror .. just a couple small items on the table .. remove the baskets underneath.
    millergina thanked indianpatti
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    When in doubt, simplify.
  • ems2409
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of a black mirror too to complement the black table. But I also liked the pop of turquoise too (or any bright color) if you could just do something bigger than the small lamp shade.
  • PRO
    Tres McKinney Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like both the white mirror and black table but the lamp and accessories are too small. The mirror is slightly over scaled for the talble but I think you could make it work with a larger scaled lamp. It is OK for the lamp shade to break into the mirror. Genevieve's lamp recommendation is striking as is the cluster of orange vases (could be turquoise instead if you prefer). A black and white inlaid bone box (not too small) would also pair nicely with the lamp.