Furniture make over, 2nd time round!
Kusten Vorland
Hello, I want to get these 2 pieces looking fabulous. My room is natural carpet and oak, so anything goes. I am timid with colour so go easy with me! I would prefer something which won't date quickly, oh and I love a girlie look or a bit of glamour! Must be good quality this time round, these seats are heavily stained- the cat just doesn't listen to me!
Idego Interior Design
Hi Kusten, If you're changing the gold wood too - say to black - you could go with a neutral like gray and then punch it up with colored pillows such as teal.
If you're keeping wood as is - then you could do something fun like eggplant upholstery with burnished gold pillows.
September 8, 2013 at 4:37AM     
Idego Interior Design
Depends how crazy you want to get and what look you're going for in the whole room.
September 8, 2013 at 4:38AM     
Kusten Vorland
Def change the gold it's flaking off, black?! I can't have black in my house! I said go easy on me Idego! ;)
September 8, 2013 at 4:40AM   
Kusten Vorland
I'd like to go crazy, yes :) but not with boys colours.
September 8, 2013 at 4:54AM   
Roos Ruud
Canvas naturel and sand the wood..give it a light oak stain..postbags for the cushions...
September 8, 2013 at 5:23AM     
Kusten Vorland
Post bags Roos?
September 8, 2013 at 6:02AM   
I'll let you and the others here investigate colors and patterns, but this Crypton fabric is supposed to be nearly pet-proof. See if they have anything suitable for your pieces: http://www.cryptonathome.com/
September 8, 2013 at 6:21AM     
wgp60
Post bags are the 'in' thing in Holland right now. Personally I wouldn't go too trendy as having furniture upholstered costs an arm and a leg. And you wouldn't want to go through the process again in three years.
If this were mine, I would paint it a very pale colour, reupholster in a dark gray. It's safe and gives you more scope to go wild with accessories and throws.
September 8, 2013 at 6:39AM     
September 8, 2013 at 7:02AM     
remodel2
I recently saw a couch similar to this done in a tan velvet with the back done in leopard print. Looked wonderful and a little fun. The gentlemen said the velvet is extremely durable.
September 8, 2013 at 7:08AM     
Genevieve
I second the leopard print idea or even a zebra print but not for both pieces . With a hot pink background to be girly has you wish it to be .

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4804162579400842&pid=15.1
September 8, 2013 at 7:16AM     
Kusten Vorland
Ohhh I love the watermelon fabric! What colour would I paint the wood? Wonder if I can find it in velvet?
September 8, 2013 at 7:36AM   
Kusten Vorland
Oh the link you sent it velvet! I'm in love with that right now. Wood colour now? If velvet is durable can I do this myself? Just over cover rather than re-cover- if that makes any sense!
September 8, 2013 at 7:38AM   
September 8, 2013 at 7:40AM   
Paint the wood trim in a shiny black. Then work in the watermelon color Genevieve suggested.
Living Room
Watermelon Fabric

I do suggest you balance those two pieces with a sofa with VERY clean lines.
September 8, 2013 at 7:41AM     
catieb
Kusten, paint them a creamy white pearlescent.....think mother of pearl, but not too iridescent.
September 8, 2013 at 7:42AM     
Kusten Vorland
Iplay10s I have done this before, high gloss black with black leather upholstery. I wanted to stay away from black if I could this time, do you have another suggestion for the wood?
September 8, 2013 at 7:45AM   
Kusten Vorland
Catieb, I think that would look amazing! Do you know of any paints available?
September 8, 2013 at 7:46AM   
aalmmark
I don't think you need to paint the wood at all. It's what makes the piece look so feminine and glamorous. If I were you I would just upholster in watermelon fabric.
September 8, 2013 at 7:51AM     
samsamyd
zebra print or leopard -- will match the cat better.
September 8, 2013 at 8:01AM     
catieb
Not sure what brands you have access to, try a paint vendor or craft store. If good ol' Martha Stewart sells anywhere near you I think she has several colors. Consider automotive paint too.
September 8, 2013 at 8:04AM     
samsamyd
If you DO want the cat to listen to you re: stay off the chair/chaise, try an unbaited mouse trap underneath a newspaper laid on the couch or chair seating (meant to scare, not to hurt - works better with dogs, as they're not so delicate about their climbing up on couches) -- or a squirt gun and some consistency -- I know very few cats who like being unexpectedly wet ...and with a GOOD squirt gun, you won't have to be close, so the cat will be surprised...which is 1/2 the battle
September 8, 2013 at 8:06AM   
Kusten Vorland
Samsanyd she is 12 years old, I'm not about to start squirting her or scaring her with mouse traps! She isn't solely responsible for the demise of these pieces :)
September 8, 2013 at 8:11AM     
Kusten Vorland
The fabric has arrived and I've stripped and painted so far, some pics to show my progress, it's hard work! Thanks for all the suggestions can't wait to see it finished.
October 12, 2013 at 3:11PM     
Kusten Vorland
Which trim do you think I should use, the sequin I'm unsure about could be fab or spoil it! The other is traditional but with a silver thread running through.
October 20, 2013 at 2:19AM   
catieb
Go big or go home!

I think the "traditional" one is too small.........is there a third option if you're hesitant about the sequin?
October 20, 2013 at 6:35AM     
amydutton Home
I suggest going with something custom and modern to juxtapose with traditional with something more personal. I am designing fabric so let me know if there is something that moves you.
October 20, 2013 at 6:40AM     
dclostboy
A narrower row of sequins might be what's required
October 20, 2013 at 6:52AM     
Kusten Vorland
Go big or go home! Love it! Catieb
October 21, 2013 at 1:27PM     
catieb
KV, I really like how the chair looks with the creamy paint and pink velvet.

in fact, I find myself visualizing your pieces at the oddest moments and thinking about how they should be trimmed out. I love the idea of the sequins, and they work around the seat back etc., but I don't like it on the chair arm. So I'm with dc.....is there a more slender sequin trim?

And the idea alluded to by amy also has appeal....not sure if I'm imagining what she's suggesting. Here's my thought: use a multi-colored fabric that is turned into the typical cording. Something with cream background and make sure to have the pink in it.

What are your thoughts?
October 21, 2013 at 1:53PM     
Kusten Vorland
Well the thick sequin makes a disco in the sunshine so I'm thinking about being bold! I can always change it after
October 22, 2013 at 1:41AM     
amydutton Home
Reclaimed doors as pocket doors provide a surprise of dimension, beauty & function!
October 27, 2013 at 11:56AM   
Living room design
I need to know what to do behind the sofa? Is the mirror...
Need HELP big time!
I need ideas! Below ground basement, long and narrow...
Ideas for space above kitchen cabinets
I have std size kitchen cabinets and 10' ceiling. Any...
Need Help: creating home office for two
We have a bonus room we use for an office, but it's...
Master bedroom and bath needs an updating.
This is a master bed and bath in a 1948 home in bad...