To paint wood walls or not?
10acredreams
We have a nice sized living room, but there are two wood walls opposite eachother. We live out in the country, so my husband wants to keep the "rustic" walls.. but they have a weird orange hue to them and I'm not really a big fan. PLUS the fireplace just looks so plain and blends in. The living room is dark to start with, no ceiling lights right now (planned in the future). Would painting the walls a white/cream color be too much? Or maybe just the fireplace?. I do love the beam on the ceiling and even thought about extending that, but I'm just at a loss for what to do with the walls and fireplace! Thanks for your input.
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hi, Great clock! It looks like the floors are wood too. Stripping the angled wood on the wall and then applying an opaque stain in a light color will help to push the wall back and highlight the mantle. Remember that you want to use an opaque stain which will hide a lot of the grain and knots. The mantle can be left as it is or darkened to a much richer tone. Finish your floors in a stain that is similar to the mantle. The doors, trim, and the rest of the room should be painted in the same color as your wood wall. Of course the wood will have a different look compared to the sheet rock and trim but that is a good thing! Dress the beam at the ceiling same as wood walls. Paint the ceilings a light Blue with a little Gray in it. This reflects light and at night when the fire is lit it looks extra good. If you can, move the clock out of that corner. One last thing.......when you are finished, lower your wedding photo so it looks like it's leaning on the mantle and remove the rest of the stuff. Those items can make a better group on a console table.
September 8, 2013 at 3:38PM        Thanked by 10acredreams
10acredreams
Thanks for your advice! Can't move the clock unfortunately as there just is no good place for it. I hadn't thought of an opaque stain vs paint.. thank you! The walls are a similar tone as the floors already, so I may just leave it alone. And we can't move things to a console table because of small, reaching hands in the house :) So question- until we can stain.. still lower the pic and leave the rest of the mantle bare?
September 8, 2013 at 3:47PM   
smileyface2013
I empathize with you, as I have lots of orange-y wood window and baseboard trim throughout my house, which I hate. I think it's an 80's thing... I am going to be painting it white. I wouldn't mind it if it were more of a light or dark brown...
September 8, 2013 at 3:58PM     
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Yup! For the other pictures you might add a shelf on one of the walls.
September 8, 2013 at 4:07PM     
10acredreams
smiley- definitely an 80s thing! I generally love the wood look, and my husband thinks it makes it look more like a cabin but it just seems super dated to me and really darkens the room! Jeffrey- you know, everytime I walk past that mantle I'm frustrated, it seems I can never make it look like pinterest, I guess that's because there's too much going on then? I never thought about that. I thought about putting the wedding pic in our bedroom instead, but I didn't know what I could put there to offset the ugly walls. Thanks for stirring my brain on that one :)
September 8, 2013 at 4:14PM   
10acredreams
jlplatts- I thought about adding a large mirror, but the opposite wall is the same angled ugly wood and I thought it would just cause the same problem! Although the room is pretty big and you are right, it would brighten things up! I just have to resist the urge to load up the mantle with "stuff" :)
September 8, 2013 at 4:16PM   
10acredreams
good call, I still think we may go with the opaque look, I can at minimum change out the photo with a mirror until then.
September 8, 2013 at 4:40PM   
lisadolanroth
Consider moving the pic to a more personal space and clearing the mantle. Try a larger vertical piece of art which will also cover more of the wood. I like the opaque idea as opposed to paint or removal. Show us the other wall pic too. It doesn't look like any furniture faces the fireplace. Is it unloved?
September 8, 2013 at 5:33PM   
10acredreams
I uploaded 2 photos, not sure where the other went, ill post tomorrow when im not on my iPhone. The furniture is a whole other issue. We moved I year ago from a teeny living room so we only have small coffee and end tables, and although I had a large chair facing the couch, so that we could see the tv or fireplace.. But the coffee table didn't reach both sides and it was awkward.. Any suggestions? i was thinking a large coffee table or end table? maybe another chair? id like to keep it pretty open if possible.. I am 5 days overdue with our firstborn so priorities have been focused on getting the nursery done! I like the idea of art vs a mirror too! Thanks for your advice :)
September 8, 2013 at 6:30PM     
Kris
I would leave the wall and paint the fireplace to make it more a focal point
September 8, 2013 at 7:08PM   
mimiincincy
I struggled for years with this same dilemma in the master bath around a large jacuzzi tub. The 70's and 80's taught us to be wood 'worshippers.' Instead of painting it. a decorator implored us to just take it down and replace it with drywall. It's so nice to be able to choose any color I want for the room and I love it! All that worry was wasted. Absolutely no one cried when the "good wood" was gone. My advice: get rid of it!
September 8, 2013 at 7:48PM     
10acredreams
lisa- I attatched a photo of the opposite side...Kris- what color would you go with if you suggest painting the fireplace only??
September 9, 2013 at 6:13AM   
lisadolanroth
Just realized you sent pic of other wall. Consider painting the organizer to minimize wood on wood. Just wondering what you ended up doing with the wood walls?
February 3, 2014 at 11:31AM   
To paint/not to paint wood panel wall around fireplace and what color(s)?
We just purchased this house and would like some opinion...
To paint wood walls or not?
We have a nice sized living room, but there are two...
Wood interior of A frame. Paint or not??
An A frame cabin built in 1963. Original wood is gorgeous....
To paint heritage wood trim or not?
I have an interwar californian bungalow and I'm wrestling...
Paint wood panelling or not?!
Should I paint this wall? It is a cathedral wall,...
Got the shabby, forgot the chic
Can anybody please help me redecorate and re arrange...
Help with new front door!
Not sure if we should go with a faux wood or black...
A strip of grass - is it worth it?
I really don't know about putting a strip of grass...
custom showers and bathrooms
slate tiles, granite curb, sets, shelves, heated flooring,...
bathroom vanity
how can I give a facelift to an old vanity than has...