Which room do I start with and what do I tackle first?
roxannpete
I am not a designer & don't have a clue where to begin.
I have posted before with my kitchen & family room, but couldn't make a decision, got frustrated & gave up.
I decided to try with a new area of he house first.
(However I have my eye on a new leather sectional for the FR)
I will post more pics so everyone gets an idea.
I've painted & refinished the hardwood floors so they have to stay.
I can't afford big ticket items right now, but am open to any suggestions.
I like warm colors, golds, reds, browns, etc.
roxannpete
More pics
September 8, 2013 at 3:47PM   
roxannpete
more
September 8, 2013 at 3:48PM   
roxannpete
Have added this from Craigslist
September 8, 2013 at 3:48PM   
roxannpete
Living room
September 8, 2013 at 3:50PM     
roxannpete
Dining room
September 8, 2013 at 3:51PM     
roxannpete
More dining room
September 8, 2013 at 3:52PM   
roxannpete
Currently sitting in entry, mirror absolutely doesn't go, but do not want to put more holes in wall til I'm sure.
September 8, 2013 at 3:55PM     
I would start by angling the two chairs in the entrance towards each other as if you were going to sit and chat. I would also add a sofa table behind the sofa, not friendly walking into a back of a sofa. I am not quite sure what and how much you are wishing to do??
September 8, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Now I see chairs are gone??? I am confused *sigh* I liked the chairs better.
September 8, 2013 at 3:57PM     
roxannpete
Still have chairs, just thought I'd try something different with the settee
September 8, 2013 at 3:58PM   
Judy M
Beautiful traditional home.

I would move the grandfather clock to the foyer, perhaps move the art work and shoe to another place and place the clock there.

I would move the chairs and small table from foyer into the living room.

The mirror in living room should not be floating with nothing under it.

In the foyer perhaps a small console in place of the chairs.

The windows are stunning.
September 8, 2013 at 3:58PM     
ncreature
Only thing that jumps out at me is the pattern on the couches are a bit busy which is visually cluttering things a bit. Pattern is good but because the couches are so bulky and everything in the room is 'heavy' visually, this might be too much. Otherwise I'm not really sure what is frustrating you this is all fairly well put together.

My own opinion is that u lean too much on your golden/maroon/brown color palette so the room becomes monotonous. I'd try to wake things up with a cool accent color and maybe mix in something more contemporary to add interest.
September 8, 2013 at 3:59PM   
Judy M
Foyer

September 8, 2013 at 4:01PM     
Judy M

I like the idea of a lamp in foyer (if you have outlet for one.)
September 8, 2013 at 4:02PM     
roxannpete
Judy,
I have been wanting to move the clock to entry, but not sure if it would get beat up behind door. That or nought about moving to dining room corner right behind the wall you are suggesting.
And I want the corner curio gone from the living room corner too. Thought about adding art & tables under art on either side of fireplace?
September 8, 2013 at 4:04PM   
roxannpete
ncreature,
I agree about couches very busy!
I love gold & red in it, but I live with a very budget conscious husband & I got them for a great deal a few years back it was those or a worse set.
Lol
September 8, 2013 at 4:06PM     
September 8, 2013 at 4:07PM     
roxannpete
ncreature,
Also agree too bulky of furniture for room.
Thought maybe a couple of love seats or 4 chairs with coffee table in group setting?
September 8, 2013 at 4:07PM   
roxannpete
ncreature,
I'm not sure how to bring contemporary in.
September 8, 2013 at 4:08PM   
roxannpete
Judy M,
Beautiful, love first one more.
September 8, 2013 at 4:08PM   
roxannpete
Judy M, like 3rd one too.
September 8, 2013 at 4:09PM   
Judy M
I guess you use your front door more often than we do.

I agree about the corner curio but it was the clock and curio, bother being tall elements opposite each other I didn't like.

I am also trying slowly to change some of my very traditional rooms to a bit more transitional.

Rooms are becoming a bit less formal and a little looser, kinda of like removing the necktie.

Accessories can help that transition.
September 8, 2013 at 4:12PM     
roxannpete
Taking in all the photos I have submitted; what room should be tackled first & what to start with?
Art, furniture,. I guess I need a starting point, I haven't a clue & like so many things I see I Houzz.
I'm not sure where to start or how to put it together
I need a jumping off/in point.
Am I a lost cause for Houzz?
September 8, 2013 at 4:13PM   
roxannpete
Judy M,
We don't personally use our front door a lot( hubby & I), we come through garage.
Our only son has moved out & so the front door is used by guests.
September 8, 2013 at 4:21PM   
ncreature
You can utilize contemporary art work or accessories. Sometimes something as simple as metal or chrome picture frames or a well placed bold color. You want to think in point/counterpoint. If u want to balance the busy, offset it with something simple or subtle. A green vase on the table in the foyer might complement those red chairs for example.
September 8, 2013 at 4:23PM   
roxannpete
Margo C,
Can you give me example of a sofa table that might look good in that space?
September 8, 2013 at 4:25PM   
I will go look around for an inspiration table. BUT, I must tell you your entry way is far to good for that flimsy white shoe rack;( aaack,,,you can do better;)
September 8, 2013 at 4:36PM   
roxannpete
Aggie dba Aggie Designs,
I didn't mean to scare everyone away.
I was looking for advice & some great ideas.
:-(
September 8, 2013 at 4:36PM   
roxannpete
Margo C,
Lol
I know, I know, it just worked in a pinch about 3 years ago & haven't even noticed after some time.
Until I submitted the photo's & the comment!
September 8, 2013 at 4:38PM   
roxannpete
Still looks goofy huh?
I don't have a table to try in between chairs so I put champagne bucket to give a visual. Not so great huh?
September 8, 2013 at 4:40PM   
A lot of pictures.

Starting with the front hall: remove the mat, the chairs, that mirror and the little table. Center the larger rug with the front door. No need, right now, to have all that furniture in the hall.
September 8, 2013 at 4:45PM   
roxannpete
Another question;
To add an area rug to dining or not to.
My entry & dining are side by side.
I don't know if there is a rule of thumb on that subject.
Should they match, coordinate, or have only in one of the rooms or neither of the rooms?
Also runner between entry & living room? And should the stairs have carpet or not?
September 8, 2013 at 4:45PM   
roxannpete
iplay10s,

The rug is centered, but I will remove mat. No mat needed at front door?
September 8, 2013 at 4:46PM   
sharpkl
Your home has absolutely beautiful bones as they say and you should be proud. I do think if you get someone local to work with you it would help you clarify where to start and what direction to go. At first glance there are a myriad of details that could improve some areas. Much can be done before you even contemplate concentrating on a specific area.
I like the wall colors, windows, stairway, floors, and you have some beautiful pieces of furniture. There may be switches that can easily be made between rooms if a professional could see the whole picture.
I hope you will keep us posted as I would love to see your home when finished.
September 8, 2013 at 4:51PM   
Maybe something like this for a sofa table. Not to much wood. More glass, you have enough wood. Keep it simple too

September 8, 2013 at 4:54PM   
NO, to the photo you just posted with the chairs and mirror!
September 8, 2013 at 4:56PM   
roxannpete
sharpkl,

That seems to be the consensus, professional.
I'm not sure if that is possible for me right now, but thank you for the advice.
September 8, 2013 at 4:59PM   
roxannpete
Margo C.,
Thank you, you give me hope, not all may be lost.
September 8, 2013 at 5:00PM     
lisadolanroth
I vote no mat at front door. If you need one outside, fine, but not inside. Shoe rack needs to go. Do you have a coat closet nearby? Shoes could go inside coat closet.
September 8, 2013 at 5:00PM   
lisadolanroth
I'd love to see the clock by the door but I'm afraid the door will destroy it over time as I see the door opens that way.
September 8, 2013 at 5:04PM   
roxannpete- I think you should pick one room, ONE at a time, and let's start getting advice, implementing it, finishing, and then move on to the next room. It will be way to overwhelming to run from room to room. Confusing for you and us. Post pics as you add and when finished. Why not start at the beginning... the entry? What say you?
September 8, 2013 at 5:06PM     
Aggie dba Aggie Designs, telling someone to sell their house and downsize so they can afford a designer is ridiculous! This is all doable, just needs to be done room by room AND with a little humor;)
September 8, 2013 at 5:09PM     
lisadolanroth
Is that a floor outlet in the alcove across from the staircase or a register? Consider a tall floor vase with arrangement or a small table with an arrangement. If you have to have shoes out, find a closed piece and put it in the alcove with shoes inside.
September 8, 2013 at 5:12PM   
Judy M
Most of us have things in our home, that are a perfect decorating choice but work for practical reasons.
I have a hideous mat near my front door, because I need it and because a rug won't allow the door to open. The decorating police are expected to knock on my door, so I don't care.

But when pics are posted and questions asked, people will notice and remark on those things.

Take the comments in an then adjust to suit you and how you live in the home.
September 8, 2013 at 5:20PM     
Judy M
Me thinks Aggie needs to check her blood sugar levels.
Yikes!
If you are so opposed to helping poster, please just disregard this thread.
September 8, 2013 at 5:22PM     
Judy M
Corrections to my previous post (auto correct is a pain)
The decor police are NOT coming.
We all DONT have perfect decor pieces.
September 8, 2013 at 5:24PM   
Aggie- you need to take the Dale Carnagie course on "How to win friends and influence people";) No wonder New Yorker's get a bad rap on being friendly!
September 8, 2013 at 5:29PM     
roxannpete
Aggie dba Aggie Designs,
I apologize if I offended you somehow.
I thought Houzz was a friendly, inspiring site to get ideas & positive, helpful advice.
My biggest regret is to have taken & posted that photo with that hideous wire rack!
I should have thrown it out prior.
September 8, 2013 at 5:36PM   
roxannpete
Thanks all for the positive feedback.
I think I will shelve this for a period.
I think I was just looking for advice on which room to start first & with which items to begin with. (Most important pieces: art, furniture, rugs, etc.) No worries.

Margo C.
I like your advice. I think I will start with the entry.
Thank you.
If I get brave enough to wander back I will post a few photos.
Thanks again.
:-)
September 8, 2013 at 5:42PM   
pegonia1
It looks to like me that there is MORE than enough room in entry to place clock and not worry about it getting beat up by the door unless there are many 'bulls in a china closet' type people living there. And as others have said, remove the shoe rack and the door mat. That will be a great start.
September 8, 2013 at 5:44PM   
Well roxanpete- I would not let one person scare you away from here. Regroup and come on back. Post one room and try and give as much info on what you want to do. This can work, I have seen it;))
September 8, 2013 at 5:50PM     
Kathleen E. Hill
Your home is absolutely beautiful! I love the white trim. The square footage looks sizable and that can be very overwhelming especially if your not a decorator. So don't beat yourself up over it. It's challenging to see pictures of rooms without the whole thing. So it makes it difficult to tell you what direction to go in. I'm sure some of your furniture is interchangeable and would look good in other spaces. My advice is to look online and at several decorating magazines and pull pictures of items and rooms you like so you can figure out exactly what you want to do. That will help you replicate it for yourself and or if you can find someone local to help you. It is easier to take one room at a time. And don't be bullied by some people on this website. I'm sure you can kick yourself for posting the pic of your beautiful foyer with the shoe rack because several people stated the obvious instead of concentrating on your questions. I guess shoes on a rack is such a distraction!
September 8, 2013 at 6:16PM   
Tres McKinney Design
You seem to be at an impasse. I recommend you consult with a local interior designer to help you develop an overall vision for your home. It is hard to achieve a harmonious flow from room to room if you don't have an overall plan to start with.
A good designer can help you implement a plan and furnish the house in stages, adding items to flesh the design out over time. A designer will save you time, frustration and money in the long run avoiding costly mistakes. It is also a fun process to have someone to collaborate with when you are making these design choices.
September 8, 2013 at 6:22PM   
nighthack95
Roxan your house is beautiful and you've gotten some great ideas. I love Houzz. Have you used their ideabook feature to create your own favorites? Also the filters and search feature is great and easy to use.
September 8, 2013 at 6:29PM   
sharpkl
Roxannpete, I hope you don't get discouraged. Just plunge through. I kinda know how you feel. Your home is so close to being what you want it to be. Basically it needs tweaking. I wish I could say the same. Mine needs an total overhaul. Lol.

Maybe start in the foyer if that's where you are seeming to indicate and just play the Houzz game. You will be going in circles shortly. lol, but there are many fine people to advise you. Take what you want and throw the rest away.

In the meantime I am busy decluttering so I can someday post a picture on Houzz. Even if you don't do a thing you have a beautiful home. Good luck.
September 8, 2013 at 7:45PM     
Would you replace a gorgeous (but leaky) rusty roof?
A friend of mine has a home with a rusty corrugated...
metal roof
Husband wants to put "metal roof"on our 1870 farm house....
Need for privacy
Am I the only one who freaks out at the thought of...
Wood bathroom decor
Hi all. This is a very small bathroom in my new home....