Need help with bathroom layout to maximize closet and storage!
mshutterbug
I posted a while back asking for layout help, and got lots of great advice! At the time, I thought I wanted a separate shower and tub. Now that we are living in the home, and ready to actually get going on this part of our remodel, I realize that it is far more important to me that we maximize storage space - both in the closet space and in the bathroom itself.

With that in mind, I would love some layout ideas that use a shower/tub combo!! I'm attaching a copy of existing layout. Would like to keep toilet in space place, but everything can move (obviously the less that doesn't need to move, the better). Interior walls can, and probably will, come down. Doorway can be moved, but must stay on that same wall.

Also attaching a picture of the original space. The walls are painted now and the gross carpet is gone, but I've got a baby sleeping in there and it's not really "photo ready" anyway ;) But this should give you an idea of what the space looks like. (The bathroom itself is in a state of partial demolition lol)

Please help!!
catieb
how big is bedroom? what is clear width at entry hall? is 10'-6" the inside or outside dimension of bathroom?
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 9:25AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, you might have already said it in the previous post but can you do it on this post also:
- Are you ok if you make the bedroom smaller in order to make the bathroom larger?
- Do you need the full 12 ft wall to place furniture in the bedroom?
- Does the closet have to be accessed from the bathroom?
- Is having a double sink vanity a must?
- Do you have a window in the bathroom?
- If you have 10 ft available for rods in the closet, is it enough? What you be the minimum length?
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 9:45AM
DMH DESIGN
MShutterbug--Here is an idea for you, making the following assumptions to arrive at a bath layout, not seeing a set of plans, knowing what stacks where, floor to floor, et al. I made the assumption that your dims are inside corner to outside corner in both directions, without subtracting out wall thicknessess. I left the 12' long wall alone, because my gut tells me it is the logical bed wall, facing windows? This is not a finished idea, but a starting point from which your needs can be refined (-for example, the second door into the bath should probably back up to the actual bath door at the bottom inside corner of the closet). Specifically, what is your budget? From there, we could decide whether or not a separate linen closet, tile floor in bath, closet packs, lighting, tiled t/s with recesses, etc. Also, where is your attic access located? If it is in this closet, it will likely have to be relocated. With complete info, I would be happy to work with you directly to refine this plan to address all your design needs. Happy Houzzing.
7 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    September 9, 2013 at 10:32AM
suzanne_m
You mentioned the door way can be moved. I assumed you mean the door way of the bathroom. Can the door way of the bedroom be moved as well?
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 11:26AM
mshutterbug
Okey doke - thanks for the replies!
suzanne_m :)
-Bedroom size must stay the same, and we are using the entire wall for furniture.
-Closet does not need to be accessed from bathroom, but as stated above, we can't put any doorway on the bedroom wall as it is occupied by our bed and nightstands.
-I would like a double vanity, both for the sinks and for the bathroom storage beneath
-No window in bathroom
-10 feet hanging length should be sufficient

DMH - yep, you got it. That's where the bed is, facing the windows, and it does take up the entire wall.
At this point, I'm just looking for a solid layout idea, not so much the details or finishes :) Good question about the attic access... I'm not sure, will have to check!

Oh, the question about 10'6" - those are inside dimensions, assuming the existing interior walls of bathroom itself are removed. In other words, a quick measure on the bedroom side of that wall is 152.

Bedroom door can't be moved, just the doorway into the bathroom :)

0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 12:54PM
rinqreation
DMH has already made the only plan I could come up with, where closet and bathroom can be entered seperately without touching the wall you're using as a head end. Only thing from his plan I changed was the toilet's location, because you said it should stay. Made the layout in scale and you should be fine. 31" doors, 68" wide bathroom.
There could be more functional layouts, but there will be the need for tearing down walls and such, I assumed that was not your plan.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    September 9, 2013 at 1:28PM
I am not a builder, but I can share what we did in the situation you are in.

On the 6 feet of wall next to the sinks, we broke through from the bedroom side to make the closet. That gave several more feet in the bathroom with which to work.

In another bedroom we removed the window and replaced it with an operable transom. The bed went under that. Then we built closets on either side of the bed

So this idea…bed under window and then build closets either side. There was an electrical outlet behind the bed, so we purchased 2 plug in wall lamps and two PB floating shelves and attached them to the bedside walls of the closets.
1 Like   September 9, 2013 at 1:40PM
suzanne_m
I like Ringreation's and DMH Design's plans because they are simple and efficient. The only thing I would change from Ringreation"s plan is I would turn the toilet 90 degrees while keeping the toilet'd drain at the same location. This would give extra inches to make the vanity wider or add a 18" deep storage between vanity and tub.
1 Like   September 9, 2013 at 1:45PM
rinqreation
The reason I didn't was because of the door. When one sits on the toilet and the other swings open the door.. Well, you don't want bruised knees. (my hub and I never lock the door)
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 1:48PM
DMH DESIGN
That is why I moved the toilet, for that very reason, not to mention privacy.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 3:49PM
suzanne_m
That would probably be the floor plan with the least amount of change:
2 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 10:52PM
mshutterbug
Thanks guys!
Suzanne - Thank you, I really like that. Both because fewer things have to move (good for budget and time to functional bathroom!) and because it maximizes storage space :)
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 11:16PM
suzanne_m
In the layout above, I gave 2'-7" between the tub and the toilet and the same amount in the closet. Actually, I think the tub is too close to the toilet. The tub could be pushed another 4 in. into the closet but I think it would still be too close to the toilet.

In the layout below, the tub is not as close but you have only 8'-10" of hanging space with a lot of shallow storage. mshutterbug, I don't know if this could work for you.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 11:54PM
rinqreation
It's a good layout, but.. You are aware this means three tiny 'rooms' instead of one?
I personally would prefer some space to dry and walk, but to each his own.

You could use a pocket/barn door on the entrance too. Or leave it open and add a pocket/barn door (with satin glass) between the sink and tub&toilet area against moist. When you add a transom window above the vanity mirror, some daylight can come in.

0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 11:56PM
rinqreation
Good thing, suzanne. I thought so too.
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 11:57PM
rinqreation
Note: folded clothes require about 14" depth (at least mine do)
:)
0 Likes   September 9, 2013 at 11:59PM
suzanne_m
I, too, was going to suggest a door between the toilet/tub area. This would give more privacy in case one wants to get dressed while the other is in the toilet area. The idea of having no door at the entrance of the bathroom is good too since it is one less door to manage.

mshutterbug, I don't not know if you had planned to put your folded clothes in the closet or if you already have dressers in your bedroom. I know a 12 in. deep storage is not as practical as a 18 in. so I am not sure if that storage is working for you. If you need space in the closet to store folded clothes, you could always put your folded clothes side ways. It is not the best but it could work or maybe you would have other usage for this space.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 12:41AM
OnePlan
Sorry to throw in a random question - but Victoria (fellow UK Houzzer ) was asking about software that good to use - and yours seems much better than the 'interior design for iPad' that I suggested - so could you please let me know, SuzanneM which you use !?! Many thanks !! Karen
( sorry to throw that in - but there's no other way of sending a message ) I will delete after you respond ! :-)
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 2:08AM
mshutterbug
rinqreation - yes I do see what you mean. The irony is that I really don't at all like the current 3 tiny room layout lol. But I guess I kind of understand why they chose it now. I may go back to the original thread and see if any of those ideas could be tweaked with my clarified goals in mind. Though most of them moved everything. Could be worth moving toilet etc for a better layout but I really am so tired of this project that it's tempting to go with the easiest possible path. I also like what you posted, in terms of ease of project, and I like to have the sink in same area as toilet for hand washing.

I'd like to know the program too, so if an answer is given please don't delete :)

Thanks for the input!
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 5:54AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, if you decide to move the toilet, then imo I find the most efficient layout would be by far the one suggested by DMH Design.

Karen and mshutterbug, the software I am using is called Visio from Microsoft.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 6:09AM
suzanne_m
If mshutterbug consider moving the toilet, I have a question for the houzzers: does moving the toilet along the same pipe is less costly than moving it anywhere in the bathroom? If it is cheaper, does it make a difference in cost if the toilet is moved few inches or 6 feet?

If the cost of moving the toilet along the same pipe is significantly lower than moving it anywhere in the bathroom, I guess it would be worth for mshutterbug to know which direction the pipe is running. This would probably offer different layout options where the toilet is not the first think you see when you enter the bathroom.

mshutterbug, in your drawining, the center of the toilet is at 2 ft from the left wall. Is it the exact location?
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:03AM
catieb
Msshutterbug, you may not realize it yet but you're actually down to two plans from which to choose.

Either demo it all and upgrade to DMH's plan, or stay with the layout you have and merely put in fresh finishes.

All the cut up, multi-room designs are really just versions of what you have and do not bring any value or increased function or livability to the home for the money and aggravation you would go thru to arrive at them.

Sorry to be so blunt, but if you were my paying client and had looked at as many versions of this as you have (I also read much of your previous thread), I would be telling you this based on years of making plans that bring value to people's lives. Personally, I believe you have a home run with the dmh plan. It brings basic function, lots of storage and gets your clothes out of the bathroom! You could decide if you want two sinks or one?. Cabinet over toilet? Flip closet and recess linen closet for bathroom? How to build out the closet? Do you just need hanging or some built-ins? Swing door or pocket door to enter?

Best of luck, can't wait to see where you finally end up!
3 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    September 10, 2013 at 7:17AM
suzanne_m
catieb, I agree with you. I came to the same conclusion that the layout I drew is about the same as what mshutterbug currently has with the only main difference that she has a tub instead of a shower. If the tub is not a must than I agree that she just need to put fresh finishes.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:22AM
mshutterbug
Thanks catieb! At this point, we have to do something...even just a version of what we have would be a step up LOL! The shower is not functional, and half the floor is torn out, and everything is super outdated. (see pics, which are actually pre-demo, so the floor you see in the sink area is gone.)

But I totally see your point! After having looked through the previous thread, what makes you identify DMH's plan as being superior? It's been a while since I really looked at the plans on my previous thread, but I remember thinking some were really clever and would work well. Obviously those were back when I thought I needed a separate tub and shower. I've since concluded that while nice to have, my primary goal is a clean and well organized space that provides plenty of storage (I can't stand clutter lol)!
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:25AM
rinqreation
Suzanne, moving a toilet is a dirty job either way, be it a little less complicated along the pipe, the amount of time that goes into it is merely the same, because a new junction needs to be made. Materials are not budget breaking. Labor costs will probably be the No-Go on this one.
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:25AM
rinqreation
Mshutterbug, the superiority of that plan lies in the division; no moist in the closet, no clothes in the bathroom. And accessibility and the amount of open floorspace.
3 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:27AM
suzanne_m
Thank you for the information Ringreation. I was hoping that the pipe was running along the long wall and the cost of moving it on that pipe would not be too much so it would encourage mshutterbug to go with DMH Design plan.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:30AM
catieb
There's going to be plumbing work just to change a shower into a tub. Or to move the sinks - at that point the toilet is less of a percentage cost then if it were the only plumbing change.

This couple has expertise in remodeling and are contributing to savings at the bottom line.

Msshutterbug - there were some good ideas, but none of them ever made as much sense as dmh's plan. Reading thru the other post I think I'm just picking up on reactions and responses and ultimately I believe you're saying this is what you want, you just needed to make sure there wasn't a new and improved version of this that you really, really want!

Love the blue, btw, bet you're really going to miss that!
;-)
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 7:52AM
mshutterbug
Thanks catieb! It does seem to make the most sense for what we want. Now if DMH can help me to read the plan properly or if someone can show me a simpler picture ;)

Oh I cannot tell you how I'll miss the blue :D Considered doing nothing in the bathroom just to keep that cool 70's vibe :-D

Oh the earlier question - yes, the center of the toilet is exactly 2 ft from the left wall.

We definitely would prefer some space for folded clothes in the closet as well. We do have dressers in the bedroom, but could certainly use additional space in the closet. I also like the idea of storage in the bathroom for towels and such. We have a linen closet in the hall to service all the bathrooms and bedrooms, so additional space would be very helpful.

Thanks again for the help!
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 8:16AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, this is how I see DMH Design with maybe some minor changes that DMH can clarify:

Because the toilet is exactly 2 ft from the wall, in this layout you would need to move the toilet's drain 101/2" to the left (and 6'101/2" towards the top).
The doors are 30 in. wide. This is a standard door size for bathroom. You will probably need to rotate the tub side ways when you bring it the bathroom.
Because you said you like the idea of having storage for towels, I added storage on top of vanity on DMH Desing. If you find that it makes each sink area too small, you have the option on making the vanity 7 ft long but that would mean the toilet area would be 6 in. narrower. It would be still to code but you can't make it narrower than that.

I hope you will go with DMH Design, but I understand cost and construction time are involved.

Good luck.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 8:57AM
DMH DESIGN
Mshutterbug--All great ideas. May I humbly ask, in the spirit of collaboration, and in terms of garnering some recognition for our combined efforts, for you to give all of the major contributors to this thread a highly complimentary review? I feel this is appropriate, because we offered our expertise because we all love design--that is our motivation to help you and your project get to this point. My Houzz contemporaries deserve this as much as I do----AND you get a chance to win an iPad for your efforts. Thank you for your consideration. Happy Houzzing.
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 10:25AM
mshutterbug
Sure, if you direct me where to do this :) perhaps I should wait until project is complete though?
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 10:57AM
DMH DESIGN
BTW--Suzanne_M: The vanity idea is fine. Use a 6' long cabinet, using (2) 27" vanity cabs to the outsides and an 18" middle section for a drawer in the base cabinet and your towel storage above the countertop. The other option is 24/24/24--(3) equal vanity/drawers/vanity. The door swing is originally why I had the drawer banks to the outsides. I think this is a fine solution. HH!
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 11:01AM
DMH DESIGN
Mshutterbug--My reason for asking this of you is this: None of the contributing parties were compensated financially for ideas that it appears you will use as the basis of this remodel. Outside of this format, normally one of us, or another professional like us, would have been a paid consultant on this project. I am suggesting an exchange of good faith. I feel that your positive reviews will acknowledge our efforts in addressing your needs. Writing the review is simple: Click our biz names separately, our pages comes up, and underneath, it says "Review Me." Click that and it is self explanatory from there, whether we were hired directly or not. Best wishes with your project. HH!
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 11:23AM
mshutterbug
I don't have a problem with writing a review. My understanding is this is a free community where people can choose whether or not to participate on any given project or question :) I would not have paid a professional in any event, but would have spent many hours and many drawings and probably much searching online for sample layouts before coming up with my final design (which might be inferior to what those here shared ;) I do attempt to express my gratitude to those who take the time to come here and help!
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 11:32AM
mshutterbug
I guess to make my point more clear... once I finished a project I would likely come back to share the results, as well as to give credit to any professional who had kindly helped me. For example, I got some great advice on a kitchen project, and if/when (lol) we finish the kitchen, I will definitely come back to thank again and give credit to the person/people whose layouts and advice were most helpful. It just wouldn't occur to me to write an official review of a professional who simply replied on a thread with a possible layout, unless I actually used that layout in some real and meaningful way. A review implies I have some authority on what it is like to work with that person. Now, if I used someone's layout and talked at length with them, then that would make sense to me to write an actual review. I would then feel qualified to do so. Were I a design professional, I might reply on threads simply because I enjoy design, for name recognition and exposure, and potentially to gain clients - either the person asking for advice or someone else reading the thread and looking to hire a professional.

Like I said though, I do very much appreciate the time taken by you DMH and everyone else here!
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 12:04PM
Great post. Great ideas and support. Great personalities. And, a great thank you from mshutterbug.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 12:33PM
catieb
Okay msshutterbug.....I'm hooked! Just glanced at some of your other discussions. I could spend my entire workday reading all the processes you've gone thru on this house. I'm so impressed with the work you and your husband have done to turn this old house into an up to date home! But now I need pictures!!!

Is your kitchen finished? How is the island working for you? What was your final solution? Do I understand correctly you have three children too? And one is a newborn? You two must have the patience of Job and energizer bunny battery packs.

Really enjoying your progress, and to repeat - very impressed with all you've handled. Can't wait to see how the bathroom....and everything else...turns out.
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    September 10, 2013 at 12:42PM
joanbllt
Caught this one - didn't see this variation carried out - no separate shower - but maximizes closet space
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 5:00PM
joanbllt
Or a slightly reversed version
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 5:12PM
joanbllt
or this - the closet could also have double level hanging in addition to the shelves and drawers on the sink wall.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    September 10, 2013 at 5:27PM
catieb
while this looks like more hanging - the truth is you really don't have much function in the corners. So the linear footage of rod space equals or is less than the straight shot floor plan.

I can't tell you the number of times I've redesigned a space such as this b/c having the area where you stand at the sinks also be your main walkway drives the clients nuts - they feel as if they are always on top of each other.

If they want to use the double straight shot plan and put a wall between the toilet/tub and the sinks, it is possible. I don't suggest it be done, but it is possible.
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 6:14PM
rinqreation
A more 'morning traffic friendly' version with two doors on the closet. Now I'm off this post, because it's getting as long as the other one.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    September 11, 2013 at 1:39AM
mshutterbug
Thank you so much joan and rinq for the new ideas!

catieb - thanks :) Yep, things have been crazy! We sold our home and bought this home in March. Had done quite a bit of remodeling to that home, though not even close to the scale here. Lived with my parents for 3 months (bless them!), had an emergency c-section after a placental abruption (very, very scary, but I was in the hospital at the time, thank goodness) with my third baby on 4/7, husband was on sabbatical for 2 months while he spent every day here working on the house, and we officially moved in a week before he went back to work 2 months ago. So yeah, you could say that things have been a bit busy around here :-D And, it is far more work than we anticipated, though we did anticipate that it would be more work than we anticipated ;) So really, I guess no surprise there!

There is virtually no surface that has been left untouched, and literally no room that hasn't been changed in some way. Unfortunately, at the moment, there is no room that is complete either, so the pictures would probably just scare you more than anything ;)

Kitchen is not done yet. ahhhhhh. Regarding the island, we decided to compromise on the overhang and the aisle, giving the edge to the walk space. So, we tested out some really shallow overhangs and ultimately it's about 10", which is obviously significantly smaller than recommended. However, we did so very thoughtfully. There's 45" of clearance between edge of counter and that wall. On the sink side we left enough so that I can comfortably stand and open the oven to put something in or take it out. Doesn't feel cramped at all. At this point it's hard to say for certain how it will work out, since the kitchen is not yet fully functional.

Even though it pains me to show my house in such a state of clutter, I'll attach a before and now. Even this isn't completely up-to-date, as this was taken a month ago and as of last week we now have counters in. Woo hoo! But it does give you an idea of just how different it's going to look! (btw - My intention is to paint that ugly fireplace, most likely the same soft white I chose for the ceiling and trim...no budget for a complete facelift on the fireplace...other things are much higher priority!)

And now, my kids are waking up so I guess my "me time" is about done for the day :D
2 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 7:00AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, I know you said that you wanted to keep all the 12 ft wall for placement furniture. I don't know if you have other options but in case you do, here is a new idea. It may or may not work for you but it does not hurt to show it to you. In the layout below, I reduced the width of the bathroom by 2 ft and placed the 2 ft deep storage outside. By doing so, it allows for a large shower and a separate tub.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 7:50PM
mshutterbug
suzanne_m - thanks:) the 12ft wall definitely needs to stay untouched though. Our furniture makes the most sense there. In fact, it would be very difficult to arrange it in any other way. Really, when I think about it, yes a big luxury bathroom would be kinda cool, but at the end of the day, it is just a bathroom ;) I'll settle for clean, best use of space possible, updated and functional and not shared with the kids :-D
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 6:53AM
Fred S
Hi mshutterbug, is that a recent picture of your entry, or are you still using your pen name ironically? ;) Looks like you still haven't made up your mind on light fixtures? Just to get an idea of the scope of this project, what is below the master bathroom area? You still haven't posted enough pictures to tell if there is a stairway in the house. Could it be a crawl space under the house and no basement? Just how easy is it to get at the plumbing underneath?
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 4:42PM
mshutterbug
lol Fred, you're gonna give me a complex ;) believe it or not, I actually made a decision on the light fixtures!!! Just to prove it...here's a snap of the dining room lights. I looooooove them. Don't have one of the entry light, but I promise I'll take one when things are a little more photo worthy in here :-)

Nope, no stairs. Below the master bathroom...umm dirt? ;) I actually have no idea. There is some sort of crawlspace, no basement.

M
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 5:06PM
Fred S
Nice view! Yep, I guess you will need to wait for the right light to take good pictures of the inside of the house ;). I would not worry about moving the toilet then. Whether it moves 6" to maximize the space, or all the way across the room, the cost will seem like pennies compared to the extra storage and comfort level of the room. Leaving it where it is would be the bigger mistake in my opinion, since it should only cost around $100 while doing the rest of the changes at the same time.
3 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 5:33PM
mshutterbug
Thanks! Yep...this is what I see when I look out my dining room window, when the clouds aren't in the way :) Ha! It's not the light that's the problem...it's the boxes and clutter and general constructiony-ness that is our home right now. I don't want to look at it, let alone photograph it ;)

I think you're right... if we're gonna do it (and seeing as it's half demolished, we are definitely doing something lol) we might as well make it work by moving whatever needs to be moved!

Thanks again for all the help here!
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 5:39PM
Fred S
Hmmm, I thought you were going to say it was the point and shoot camera/phone that was so hard to take a picture of the inside of the house while pointing it at the window! Taking pictures of your messy, under construction house is the price you pay for getting advice here.
;-). Ha-ha!
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 5:57PM
mshutterbug
Nope, I only blame the metering problem on my cell phone camera ;) ha! Ok well here ya go - my entry light...kinda boring, but unobtrusive and doesn't clash with anything :)

Back to the bathroom - I've already posted those ugly construction-y pics. Hopefully one day in the near future I can post progress!
1 Like   September 14, 2013 at 8:49AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, I spent so many hours and visited so many stores to get the best entry light. Guess what ...
I don't even notice it when I am come home and no visitor tell me how beautiful is my light ... I wonder why I put so much effort on it :)
1 Like   September 14, 2013 at 7:09PM
mshutterbug
Would you believe I am STILL undecided on this? We've been focused on other parts of the house, but are back to thinking about the master bathroom.... had a general contractor in to talk about it (hubby has his plate sooo full that we are seriously considering hiring this big job out!). He gave me some ideas, and I am now considering whether I want to keep the furniture and doors where they are or move them. One thing I LOVE about where our bed is right now is that it faces the big window, and we have a sunrise view first thing in the morning and a lovely view at night as well (I rolled over, picked up my iphone, and snapped the attached pics while laying in bed lol). (There's no view from the 6' window, just trees :) I also like that the pathway is clear coming into the bedroom.

However, if we move the bed to the wall next to the big window it would allow us to use the current bed wall to put a door into the closet. The first diagram shows where our bed is currently (the dressers are lined up along that entry wall). The second shows what I'm considering. The bathroom/closet portion isn't to scale, but it shows an idea for layout.

I think I will ask hubby to move the furniture to the proposed location to see how we might like it there. If anyone is still with me and willing to think about this again...thoughts?
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 11:41AM
suzanne_m
What is the length of the wall where there is the 6 ft window (from the bed's head board to the 8 ft window)?

I completely understand your hesitation about moving the bed on the east wall, the view on the 8 ft window is amazing!
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 1:05PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! That wall is not quite 13.5 ft from head of bed touches wall to 8 ft window. If I'm willing to move the furniture, and split the existing bath/closet space down the middle then I guess it's basically two 10.5 ft by 6 ft rectangles (as opposed to the two 12 ft by 5 ft that the other option offers) to work with and position the door anywhere.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 1:20PM
suzanne_m
I see in your proposed plan that you have the closet accessed from the bedroom only, is this your preference or would you prefer to have access to it through the bathroom only or through both rooms?
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 1:48PM
mshutterbug
Honestly, I don't have a preference. I really just want to use all the space in the most efficient way possible. It occurs to me that I could do a 5 ft x 10.5 ft closet and make it a 7 ft x 10.5 ft bathroom, but I'm not sure that really buys me much in terms of useable space. I'm sure I'm way over complicating this process. Seems like it really might make the most sense to keep the original plan and not move the bed. I hate this project ;)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:01PM
suzanne_m
Do you mind posting the current floor plan of your bathroom with measurements? Can you also post the link to your old discussion?
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:11PM
mshutterbug
One thing I don't love about my last proposed design is the same thing I don't love about DMH's idea (though I do really like his plan otherwise), and also something I dislike about the layout of our kids' bathroom currently. I don't like when the toilet is right next to the tub. So getting in and out you have only a small area there. I especially hate it when I'm sitting *right next to* the toilet, practically touching it (yuck!) to bathe the babies. Not that I'll be bathing them in the master bath, but the idea still applies... I'd rather have the length in front of tub/shower to get in and out. I prefer the layouts where the entire length of tub is open...more like what we are now thinking we'll do in our kids' bathroom (attached). I also like that you aren't staring right at the toilet when you walk in the door. Not sure how that would translate into the layout for my master bathroom though.

(In case I wasn't clear...the attached is our current plan for the kids' bathroom. I really like that it moves the toilet out of view and opens up the floor space in front of the tub)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:15PM
mshutterbug
Sure...here's the current floor plan. As mentioned previously, everything within the bathroom/closet box can change. Honestly, I avoid the room whenever possible. I use the mirror over the vanity because it's currently the only mirror in the house, and occasionally I don protective gear (hahaha) and clean it, but mostly I just use the kids' bathroom. The shower in the master has a crack or something so we can't use it even if we wanted to, which I don't ;)

Here's the old discussion (it's overwhelming for me to look through, so I don't expect anyone else wants to either!) http://www.houzz.com/discussions/435604/Is-an-open-closet-area-within-bathroom-a

I feel like such a dork and people around here are probably sick of my bathroom questions! And sheesh, I'm so indecisive...look at how I've gone round and round on this bathroom. Ugh and lol!

Someday I'll make up my mind and we'll get it all done and I'll share the yay-it's-done pictures :-)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:23PM
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:26PM
mshutterbug
rinqreation - yes, that's the ridiculously long post. Can you believe I'm STILL going round and round on all this? :-)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:27PM
rinqreation
It's all about making decisions. Can't change the space at hand (at least that is what I recall you said), so need to make the best of whats there. I think you've received a lot of workable ideas.
1 Like   March 19, 2014 at 2:30PM
suzanne_m
So just to make sure that no one, including me, suggests some floor plans that don't solve your issues, is I suppose that what you don't like about your current bathroom is that you want to include a tub/shower combo and you want to have more storage in your bathroom and closet, right? Is there more things you dislike in your current bathroom or more things you would like to have?
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:33PM
mshutterbug
We discussed the idea of bumping out the exterior wall, but we are definitely NOT going to do that. So, yeah, it's really just about making the most of the space. We can move the walls, any plumbing, but the door to the bedroom and where the actual closet/bathroom is needs to stay. I think at least I've narrowed in on my priorities and now it's just choosing a layout that meets them the best :)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:35PM
mshutterbug
Suzanne - Yep, I want more storage space and a tub/shower combo. Other than the cosmetic updates that need to happen, those are the two basic issues with the current bathroom.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:36PM
suzanne_m
I think that if your room is 13.5 ft deep and a bed is a bit less than 7 ft, there is a possibility to borrow some of the 13.5 ft space from your bedroom to enlarge the bathroom/closet area. By doing so, it opens to other possibilities. Am I wrong?
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:42PM
mshutterbug
Reading through the old discussion the layouts, while really great, aren't really applicable since they attempted to squeeze in a tub and a separate shower.
Actually rinqreation - I am looking back at the first layout you suggested here, which modifies DMH's. I like that it gets the toilet away from the tub....might have to think about that.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:45PM
rinqreation
Reviewing old ideas is always a good thing.
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 19, 2014 at 2:47PM
mshutterbug
Suzanne - yes, that is possible... but I'm just not sure we want to move that wall. Thanks for thinking about all this :)
I think right now my question is, do I want to split the area into roughly two 5x12 or two 6x10 rectangles... I really do prefer the idea of keeping our bed where it is, so maybe that answers my question, and leaves me with some variation of DMH's design...
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:48PM
suzanne_m
Sorry mshutterbug, I am not sure I understand when you say split the room in 2: 5 x 12 or 6 x 10. What I meant is to keep your bed on the 12 ft wall but moving it about one foot to give it to the bathroom. By doing so, you should still have about 5.5 ft at the foot of your bed which is a decent space IMO.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 19, 2014 at 3:01PM
mshutterbug
Yep, I understood what you meant... it's a good idea! But, I don't think we want to mess with moving that wall. Though it is certainly worth thinking about!

Alright - so I was playing around with my latest layout plan. I can't see any way to get the toilet at the end of a vanity or on the short end of the tub, which would be ideal...but this might be roomy enough (I know that in our kids bathroom the toilet is really super close to the tub, so maybe that makes it worse).

I feel like this is a great layout, and maybe the best idea yet. Which means I am likely overlooking something ;) Really...am I overlooking something obvious? If I put the door into the closet on that wall (instead of a linen cabinet as originally posted today) then I could keep the wall in my bedroom for my bed. (I don't mind having to go through the bathroom to get to the closet.)

Thoughts?
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 3:08PM
catieb
Sorry shutterbug, just have a few seconds.......this is roughly to scale.
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 19, 2014 at 3:11PM
mshutterbug
Thank you catieb!! I do like that a lot! ... I'm just stuck on this question of moving the bed. Moving the bed would open up space for a nice sitting area. But I feel like it would make for a clunkier entrance to the bedroom and would mean no more of my lovely view from bed (or at least not a direct view like I have now.)
rinqreation - I am looking back through that old thread, and even though it was originally trying to fit in a tub and separate shower, I found some good ideas. I was inspired by one of the layouts you (I'm going to attach it...hope you don't mind) and joanblt also share (slightly different, but similar ideas). If I made the entrance the closet portion it would allow me to put the toilet at the end of the vanity and have that next to the tub (I am not sure if I've seen actual photos of this idea...will have to look..trying to imagine how it would look in person)...
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 3:47PM
suzanne_m
What is the minimum length in feet, are you comfortable with for your closet (husband and yourself together)?
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 3:52PM
mshutterbug
Hubby is voting for my last drawing, only swapping the tub and toilet so that the toilet is not on the same wall as the bed. He feels like I do, in that it would be a shame to give up our lovely view from bed. Though I think we'll still move the furniture to test it out. He likes the idea of someone being able to access the closet while the other is in the bathroom. Though it does give up about 3 ft of hanging or shelving for the door into the bathroom (compared to having the entire back wall).
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 4:34PM
suzanne_m
This is an inspiration from rinqreation and joanblt floor plans:
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 19, 2014 at 5:15PM
mshutterbug
I like that idea Suzanne - thank you! However, it looks like the extra storage opens into our 4th bedroom. (I know you didn't know what was behind that wall :) I wonder if we could do something like that, but instead have those doors - maybe more like a built-in cabinet since I don't think it's big enough to be any other kind of door) open into the hallway in the bedroom (does that make sense? I'll take a pic to try to show what I mean by "hallway"....
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 5:29PM
mshutterbug
So in the first pic, straight ahead is our 4th bedroom, to the right is the master. Second pic shows the "hallway" right when you walk into master, and to the left is the pocket door into bathroom...
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 5:31PM
mshutterbug
What about this? Seems like there would be a more efficient way to use closet... This gives one person 5.5 ft of hanging rods and the other 7 ft, but then the middle just seems like wasted space.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 5:46PM
suzanne_m
Your layout above could work but these are the disadvantages I see:
Your vanity would be 6 in. shorter which means that it cannot be longer than 66 in. It works for 2 sinks but it is not the ideal. 6 ft and more is better.
You loose about 1.5 ft of closet and you have a lot of wasted space in the middle.
On the plus side you gain a hamper.

These are the 2 layouts I changed a bit following your comment about the storage opening to the 4th bedroom.

In the first one, I just opened it completely to accept a built-in in bedroom 4.

In the second layout, I put a door accessed from the hallway. It makes the storage quite deep but I have a friend that stores suitcases in such a storage. Maybe you can find a good use. Or you can split the space in 2. One half accessed through the door with a storage 1.5 ft deep or so. And the other half could be a book case for the bedroom 4.

While I was doing these changes, I also brought other minor changes:

I have to add manually 1/2 in. thickness to all the walls because the software I am using draws the walls 4 in. thick only and a regular wall is 4.5 in. So I did it for all of them except I forgot about the wall behind the toilet. So I added it now and this explains why the storage is now 3 ft 8 1/2 in instead of 3 ft 9 in. Also I turned the tub around so the faucet is on the opposite wall. This allows me to open the pockets doors the other direction. It fits better. I also tried to make the toilet as wide as I could so it is easier to clean around. I could add 1.5 in. That explains why the storage is now 2 ft 7.5 in wide and the closet area in 1.5 in. narrower.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 6:03PM
suzanne_m
Ok. I just re-read your comment 3 posts ago. So what you meant is basically the second layout above but make it a built-in that opens to your room. You can certainly do that if you want to.

About your last drawing, As you mentioned you would have 7 ft of rod in one side and 5 ft on the other side and less the walls 12 ft - 8 in = 11 ft 4 in. You really don't get anything by doing that since in my layout you have 2 x 6 ft 7.5 in which is 13 ft 3 in. plus I included the thickness of the walls.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 6:11PM
suzanne_m
I forgot one word in my sentence: I meant to say 12 ft less the THICKNESS of the walls - (4.5 in x 2) = 11 ft 3 in.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 6:13PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! Yep, you're speaking my language when you say "more room to clean around toilet" ... the more space I have to crawl around for that, the better ;) Iike your ideas! The idea of a built-in for that 4th bedroom isn't a bad one at all, but I'm not sure I want to get into modifying that room.

My thinking is, I definitely want a hamper in the closet... doesn't actually have to be built-in, could just be a basket, but was thinking something like a single version of one of these would be great...with some shelving cabinets built above it...
http://st.houzz.com/simgs/a86115c000dbb937_8-7085/traditional-closet.jpg
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 6:27PM
suzanne_m
In the layout below I dedicated the storage beside the vanity for a hamper cabinet and I added an other storage beside the toilet but that means you lose 1.5 ft of hanging space.

I believe you don't need those full thick walls around storage, you can find nice cabinets on the market where they are built with a 1 in. frame. You save a lot of space this way.

I also managed to give you one more 1/2 in the toilet area. But really what influences the width of the toilet area is the width of the frame around the pocket door. If you look at the pocket door in the layout, you need enough wall to put a frame. The thinner the frame around the pocket door i, the wider is the toilet area ... funny how it works, hein ...
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 19, 2014 at 6:44PM
mshutterbug
Ideally I'd like to stay away from pocket doors. I hate them! Every time my husband opens the bathroom door early in the morning I hold my breath for a moment, just hoping the banging noise of the door as it rolls in won't wake up the kids! eek :)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 6:49PM
mshutterbug
Thank you so much for your ideas Suzanne! I'm thinking I can find a better layout for the closet than my last post, without bumping into either other room...maybe shelves or another rack perpendicular to the one on the left side. If that makes sense :)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 7:12PM
joanbllt
Saw this was still active - I played with this and came up with this - but lots of plumbing moves - but a buffer between bathroom and bedroom. may have switched dimensions - was too easy
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 19, 2014 at 7:21PM
suzanne_m
I was drawing this one when I saw your last comment. What makes the toilet hard to clean in the small space of my last drawing is how deep the toilet is inside its little corner. In the layout below I moved the toilet forward. It should be easy to clean in this location.

I also added 30 in. doors. As you can see, it is feasible but it feels a bit tight when you come in and you have to make sure you don't bump into someone coming out of the shower.

I left the extra storage as is except that the storage in bedroom 4 could be enlarged since the toilet has moved forward. I will let you think of possibilities with that space if you want to consider this plan.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 7:24PM
joanbllt
try it this way
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 7:57PM
suzanne_m
This one feels more open just because I swing the door outside instead of inside.

I also use the space behind the toilet for more closet area. This gives you a total of 14 ft 9 in. of hanging space. However, I don't really like corner in closet because the access is not as easy. So in the layout below, you have 12 ft 9 in. of easy access and 2 ft of limited access. If you can have shelves less than 2 ft deep on the 3 ft wall, it would make the access in the corner easier.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 8:39PM
suzanne_m
joanbllt, I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion on your layout. Since you have a lot of hanging space in the closet, I wonder if mshutterbug would like to use some of it to have storage in her bathroom.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 19, 2014 at 8:59PM
mshutterbug
I wonder if it would work to make the storage by the toilet open into the closet area...and if the layout would still work if the doors opened inward.
Lots of great ideas - thank you guys :)
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 9:02PM
suzanne_m
Is this what you meant?

I am not liking the way the door swing inside the bathroom because when you enter you are cramped between the tub and the vanity. Also, when you walk from the toilet to the bathroom door, you need to close the door first then get in the corner between the vanity and the tub then open the door and then you can come out.

If you turn the door the other way, then it is the same situation as the layout posted an hour ago.
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 9:14PM
mshutterbug
Ooooh good points! Very true...
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 9:26PM
rinqreation
I guess this layout belongs to your bathroom too?
Plenty of storage space here, no nooks and corners, looks very organized.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 20, 2014 at 1:45AM
rinqreation
And yes, turning the shower niche from this one into a cabinet with hampers in it, is a good option too.
Or better fip the toilet and make a cabinet next to the vanity, toilet across in the niche. But make sure the toilet niche is at least 3' wide for 'easy access' when cleaning.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 20, 2014 at 1:53AM
mshutterbug
It seems there is just going to be no getting away from a pocket door if I arrange it with the closet as the front portion... that alone might be enough to sway me to back to the first sketch with the closet at the back of the bathroom. I really really don't like pocket doors. They are (in my experience) loud and lack privacy.
rinqreation - I do like that one with the closet behind the bed, but I don't think our side tables would still fit with the open doorway on the right side in that layout.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:05AM
suzanne_m
Maybe you can have no door to access the closet but, in that case, I would have closed cabinet on the right side so you have a nicer view when you walk towards your bedroom. Having pocket doors would ease the flow of your floor plan but I think one outward door can be a good compromise.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:14AM
mshutterbug
joanblt - I'm looking at your "try it this way"...maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet ;) but I can't figure out where the doorway is entering from. I like the idea of the vanity at the entry like that because it allows a full size door, but then I'm still left with the toilet running the length of the tub.

I wonder if my ideal just doesn't exist...I look at so many of the layouts and think "Yes! That's the one!" But then I look closely and realize it doesn't meet one of my criteria. So, I wonder...is there no floor plan that will do all of these things:

Really, really, really hope to achieve:
-toilet is at the end of vanity , on the short side of tub, or pointed at the tub or just nowhere near the tub (in other words, if you were to kneel next to the tub to bathe a baby (or just step out of the shower) the toilet bowl would not be so close... I don't mind if it FACES the tub, but I'd rather it not be running parallel with the tub. (Does that make sense to anyone??)
-no pocket doors!
-no using the wall where my bed/tables are for doors or walkways
-two sink vanity (two separate smaller ones would be fine too...for that matter, we COULD get away with a single sink, but given that it's a master bathroom I think two sinks would be a wiser choice in terms of home value...not that we plan to sell it, but just to be smart about it)
-maximize storage space (doesn't need to be crammed in to every possible space, I'm just saying I will gladly forgo a separate tub/shower in favor of more closet or bathroom storage space) I'd rather have a little more space to move than to have a cabinet in every corner...I'm just saying, as much as comfortably possible.
-efficient use of space

I don't care about a walk-in closet (unless that is the best way to use the space) or anything super fancy... we don't hang out in the bathroom. The contractor mentioned putting in a little dressing table in the closet for me to sit and do my makeup while my husband is shaving in the bathroom...I'm like, heck, I barely have time for a shower every day. You won't find me sitting luxuriously putting on my makeup. I just need a mirror to stand at for 5 minutes and hope to get my teeth brushed before I see little fingers poking under the bathroom door LOL! I just want a comfortable space that uses the space as efficiently as possible.

Nice to haves:
-toilet is not the first thing you see when you walk in
-convenient place to hang bath towel and a space near sink for hand towel (seems silly to even say this, but in our current kid bathroom there isn't a good spot for either!)
-a dedicated space (either on the floor for a basket or built-in) for a hamper
-some storage in the closet for extra blankets and such

Does that just not exist? Need more coffee. Ha.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:21AM
mshutterbug
This is why I'm not a designer (aside from lack of training haha)... I was thinking, ok how can I achieve those goals with regular opening normal doors and the closet at the front. And this is the path my brain took... Sigh. I give up! Ok not really.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:02AM
mshutterbug
This?? Shrinks closet to 5.5 ft, gives 36" width for toilet with maybe a cabinet opposite, a shallow 18" vanity would give 5 ft from vanity to closed door...that's about 30" clear space with door open. Then some weird empty space by tub end...maybe bring up that side of closet...
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:12AM
rinqreation
"but I don't think our side tables would still fit with the open doorway on the right side in that layout."

Willing to try?? Without the second door maybe? (it only seemed handy for two people to enter)

And the last floorplan you posted is the mirrored version of what was posted before...

I really think you're over-thinking and have been running past several good solutions already. I don't want to sound harsh, but your list of don'ts/can'ts seems bigger than the space at hand. Making a gorgeous and practical bathroom requires some taking, but loads of giving too. It's ok if you don't like it and want to adjust some more, but you're been pondering undecisive since April last year. Get some numbers on different floorplans and see what the costs might do to your decision-making.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 8:49AM
suzanne_m
One more option. This one, the closet storage is a bit scattered but may be you use the space below the toilet for out-season clothes (??)
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:55AM
mshutterbug
Well, even if I really squish the tables right next to the bed, there's only 13" of wall on either side...so, you tell me..will a door fit in that space (26" if you push them to one side)? And,
it means that anyone in the closet will be making noise moving around (without the benefit of a closed off space), which would make it difficult for anyone sleeping in bed. Seems like not a great solution.

The last floor plan I don't think is mirrored of another...but maybe it is! The change that I (thought) I made, was to shrink the closet in order to allow a normally opening door :)

Nope, no offense taken, no worries. I know I'm indecisive :) In my defense regarding the timeline...we have been very preoccupied with other parts of the house. (We didn't even move in to the house until last June/July) So, now we are back to the master bath and ready to make some solid decisions.

Yep, there are some good plans. It just doesn't seem like I'm asking too much...it really boils down to: toilet not parallel to tub, no pocket door, no door on bed wall. But it seems that the first one (the toilet) is really the sticking point in most of the workable plans. I'm playing with a totally different idea with the toilet being directly to the left of the door, tub to the right, vanity at the back left, and a 5 ft closet at the back. Seems to give plenty of clearance to everything, decent storage in bathroom, but it does make the closet smaller, which I can live with.

Thanks again for all the help! I'll figure something out and settle on it. And one day we'll have a mater bathroom we can use :-D
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 9:02AM
mshutterbug
Suzanne - that looks great! So it looks like 3 areas for hanging clothes. Toilet area looks decently wide too... Appears to be enough room for pathways. Hmmm...maybe this is the one. I really don't care if the closet is at the front or the back.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 9:21AM
rinqreation
Having the closet on the bed side of the space, the clothes will muffle the noise from the bathroom.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 9:39AM
rinqreation
Flip the closet, forget the bedside door and all sounds will be muffled by the clothes.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 9:41AM
mshutterbug
Not sure if I'm following rinqreation (but thanks for sticking with me!) You're saying on this attached layout, flip the clothes to the bed side, get rid of the entry on the right side opening to bed, keep the pocket door... in the "hall" side? Doesn't the last layout by Suzanne give more storage?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 9:46AM
mshutterbug
So, looking at it again, it's very similar to DMH's initial layout, just different positioning of fixtures. If we allow 4 ft for closet, that's 2 ft for hanging and a tight 2 ft for walking in and down to the end. Gives 12 ft of hanging clothes, maybe a small shelving at the back wall. Regular door won't fit unless we give up some of hanging.
And 6 ft x 12 ft for bathroom. With the configuration you've got, that gives 3 ft for door and trim, 3 ft for toilet width. About 42" total for toilet...so I guess that about 12" from front of toilet to edge of vanity? Then a 6 ft vanity, and the 30" tub. Is that right?

Think yeah it's down to this or something like the last one Suzanne posted. Seems like that one gives a bit more storage space, though you give up the separate closet entrance (no big deal) and the closet is a bit choppier...
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 10:03AM
mshutterbug
Thanks again guys - its' down to the one that Suzanne shared last and a version of the other one... I think Suzanne's might be the best compromise. It is less streamlined for the closet, but there's still room for both of us to have hanging clothes and even some shallow shelves, you don't have a separate door to closet and the bath/shower is on same wall as bed (noise). But, you seem to have a little more storage and it's still fairly easy to walk around.

So, there you go! Thanks :)
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 11:24AM
mshutterbug
New question!! Playing with both layouts, it seems obvious why DMH put the toilet (obviously the toilet isn't as big as I drew it..I just wanted a square to show the space needed) between the tub and vanity (the only real downside I can see with that layout...hate squeezing in to clean it or the reduced space to get in and out)... But trying to fit the toilet by the door would require shrinking closet to 4.5 ft wide.

So... if I keep it at 5.5 ft, like this...could I fit some shelves on the back wall as I've shown here? Or would that foot essentially just be added walking space and nothing more...?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 1:11PM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, can you give us the distance you have from the left wall to the center of the toilet bowl. I would like to draw this floor plan using the same software than your option on the right. It would be easier to compare the plans. Maybe you can end-up with little more than 2 ft wide to walk into your closet.

Also, if you were to go with option 2, I encourage you to put extra insulation in the 2 walls adjacent to both bedrooms. I don't know but maybe you can add extra insulation on the two walls where the plumbing is too.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 1:36PM
suzanne_m
I just saw your last layout. I could draw that one too with my software. So you will have three plans to compare with the same visual tool.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 1:38PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! Basically I'm down to these... Split up the middle with one or the other getting 5.5 (2 options), or putting the closet at the back, or the front, like so.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 2:11PM
mshutterbug
Looking at this closet guide I found gives me some ideas... Another option - I could give up my aversion to pocket doors *just for the closet* because the rolling noise could be kind of buffered from bedrooms (and if it's just going from bath to closet there's no privacy issue). I could do the split down the middle with a 12' x 4' for closet on bedroom wall (leaving 12 x 6.5' for bathroom) forgo the separate closet entrance, put the closet entrance centered inside the bathroom... Then it becomes a closet like the "10 foot back wall" (obviously without space for an island lol).
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 3:14PM
rinqreation
24" is not enough walking space. Imagine going in there with a hamper full of folded clothes. Use at least 3'. In the bathroom too. I know you want maximum storage space, but don't give in on moving space. Imagine yourself in there. Hub too. Imagine yourself brushing your teeth, while your husband is drying himself next to the tub.
So maybe re-draw the items on paper, but with 36" functional space in front of it. These may overlap, but no less. Note: from the 60" closet width, only 24" will be closet, so in that case the walkway should be fine.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 3:34PM
rinqreation
And why such a small tub? We have a 71"x32" and have a lot of fun bathing together (squeezed in) and it's very comfy on our own (I'm 5'9").
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 3:37PM
rinqreation
You don't really need pocket doors. French doors are cute too.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 3:38PM
mshutterbug
rinqreation - that makes perfect sense. From what you're describing I think all except the one with the long 5.5' closet would work... Did you see my last pics?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 3:43PM
suzanne_m
This is your 4 options below. I know that there are other comments after I started to draw them, but I did not take them into consideration at this moment as I know there will be changes to be done anyway.

These are the few changes that I took the liberty of making changes, since for me while drawing them, I could see that a floor plan would not make sense:

In options 1 and 4, I drew the vanity 22 in. deep just to give you a bit more space in front of the vanity. The vanities come generally in 24 in or 21 in. deep but you need to allow for the counter top projecting by 1 in. There are other vanity sizes but I don't think you would gain anything having them.

In option 2, I saw that you moved the vanity 9 in. from the south wall. I felt like you really meant to enlarge the vanity by 9 in. on both sides since you would gain nothing other than having a hard spot to clean with the 9 in. empty space.

In option 3, I gave only 6 in. more to the tub because it would make no sense to have only 1 ft 7 in. walkway in the closet.

In option 4, I reserved 18 in. from the center of the toilet to the wall but only 15 in. from the center of the toilet to the door. It would be easy to clean that part of the toilet since you just need to close the door to reach the back.

Just because I drew these 4 floor plans does not mean I like them all and I am sure that you will eliminate some when you see them drew more precisely.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 4:01PM
mshutterbug
Typing before your new comments rinqreation :) are French doors requiring less space than a regular door? Took your advice and redrew, showing any tight areas. Also showing the length of closet available while allowing 3 ft path. (I also like the idea of a longer tub...both because it would allow a two person bath, and because it would give more room to step out of the shower in front of toilet.) 3 very different plans (well, 3 and a half, if you consider that plan #2 has two different door options lol) ... Thoughts?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 4:31PM
suzanne_m
I like very much your first layout of the 3 you just posted. What makes it feels spacious is that you have only one large area in the middle and still being able to access everything.

Let me know which floor plans you would like to see draw with my software or if you would like to bring changes to the 4 I already drew.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 20, 2014 at 4:37PM
mshutterbug
You rock Suzanne :-) Those 3 are basically just "clarified" versions of the first 4 I posted (drawn instead of using my little moveable cutouts lol!). Oddly, I feel light years closer to making a decision. What I like about #1 and #2a is just what you've mentioned..the closet seems very open, even though it's not huge. I also quite like the idea of a larger tub. In either layout I could borrow a couple inches from the toilet width since I've got that at 36" as drawn. With 2A I could even sneak in an 18" hamper cabinet right there at the entrance (convenient access for my 9 year old, whose chore it is to empty all the laundry hampers ;) . So it would be a 60" vanity connected to an 18" hamper cabinet (does that make sense?) On the other hand, with #1, I really like that I could sneak in a 71x32 tub... that would leave me with a freestanding basket for my hamper since I don't see a spot to build one in with this layout (actually I could probably put one right inside the closet, just taking away some of one of the 4' hanging sections...
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 4:51PM
suzanne_m
While I was waiting for your comments, I drew another one. I just wanted to see what would be the compromise you would need to make if you were to have access to your closet before you access your bathroom using layout option 1. You would l lose about 3 ft 3 in. of linear ft in your closet.

I am going to draw your 3 floor plans now :)
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 5:07PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! At this point, husband and I are tied between this last one you posted (basically you just lose the 3' or so of closet space to fit the door...and the flip of it (#1). Leaning toward #1...
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 6:04PM
suzanne_m
Before I make comment on the 3 options below, I want to correct the length of the vanity in the layout above is not 5 ft 6 but 6 ft instead. Also, you don't need to reserve 3 ft for the toilet for the reason I already mentioned in my comment where I posted the 4 layout. If you reserve only 33 in. wide for the toilet, you have the option to move the toilet 3 in. away from the tub or move the door 3 in. away from the vanity.

Now, here are my comments about the 3 layout below:

First layout:
Same comment about the toilet being move 3 in. either way.

Second layout:
Not working as what you had wished, if you keep the 2 ft wide closet's door. If you access the closet only from the bathroom then the 2 ft door is no longer an issue.

Third layout:
I could not make the closet 5 ft wide on the left wall because that would mean the 5 ft tub would not fit in the bathroom.
I made the vanity 22 in. deep so you have more room in front of the vanity and in front of the tub. This way you have 3 more in. in front of the toilet. However, I believe my software does not drew elongated seat toilet so it could be few inches less in front of the toilet if you install an elongated seat toilet.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 6:07PM
mshutterbug
I think option 1 might be the winner! Yes, we can only get to closet through bathroom...but it's about give and take right? That option gives a roomy feeling closet and a bigger tub, a good sized vanity. Seems all around the best option :)
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 6:25PM
suzanne_m
That is funny, the layout #1 is exactly the same as the third layout you posted yesterday after you showed us the proposed new bedroom furniture location. You just added a pony wall which you could or choose to not have. You don't see the toilet when the door is opened but you see it through your mirror if the door is closed.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 6:27PM
mshutterbug
Wasn't that one putting the door on the bed wall? The bathroom layout is nearly the same...just a bigger tub. I think. Lol. Well I know now...this is THE ONE :)
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 6:39PM
suzanne_m
No, look at the one three layouts below the one you just mentioned.

I just want to give you a bit of warning if you decide to add a pony wall ... in order to respect the 15 in. you need between the center of the toilet and any obstacle, you would need to have a 22 in. deep vanity. Otherwise a 30 in. wide door with its frame would take too much space of the wall you have left. My software draws door frames 2 in. wide only. Even with that slim frame, you don't have much space left. You really need to be conscious about the width of the frame you will be using.

If you really want a 25 in. deep vanity then I guess you could bring the toilet 3 in. closer to the tub. I am not sure if you would like to have only 30 in allocated for the toilet between a tub and a pony wall. This would be no fun to clean the back of the toilet.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:06PM
mshutterbug
WOW. I guess I've had that design in mind longer than I realized ;) yep I'm good with a 22 inch vanity. The pony wall thought was to have a place to hang the roll of toilet paper.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:21PM
suzanne_m
You have a point about where to mount the toilet paper. However, even with a 22 in. deep vanity you would still have one side where it is hard to reach the back of the toilet. The other solution would be no pony wall and a stand free toilet paper holder.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:32PM
suzanne_m
One last comment:

Another option would be to use a smaller bathroom door.

Since you mentioned that your husband wakes up before you, I suggest that you put extra insulation on the vanity wall so it does not wake you up if your husband is using the sink. In fact, if you can put extra insulation everywhere in the bathroom, it would be even better for you and your children in the other bedroom.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 7:40PM
mshutterbug
Good thoughts, thank you! What's bugging me is I can't figure out why I decided that layout was no good... I can't find any clues in later comments. Maybe I just got sidetracked lol. Husband suggested idea of attaching toilet paper to side of tub, depending on style of tub and wall there...
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:56PM
suzanne_m
I think it is just the visual between the 2 floor plans ... It was not drawn as well, it was side ways and the double door suggested by rinqreation made a huge difference.

I am not sure how many options in material you have for a 30 in. wide tub. It is worth to check it out though. In my powder room, I have 15 in. between the center of the toilet and the vanity. The vanity is 22 in. deep. Because, it is not too deep, I manage to clean the back. I would recommend that you put a 22 in. long pony wall and have the TP holder mounted about where I showed it on the layout below. It seems close to the toilet but the fact that it is higher than the seat it is not as bad.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:15PM
suzanne_m
One last comment before I go to bed, promised:

You can check the depth of the vanity in your kids bathroom and see how much space you have for the toilet and how hard or how easy it is to clean the back. Check where the TP is too.

I am wondering if you can have different thicknesses for walls. If you can have your pony wall thinner than 4.5 in. then it would give you more options for the width of the frame around the bathroom door.

Just one more comment about the layout you first drew yesterday then never followed up on it. I think the fact that the closet was not drawn in detail, you could not see how much hanging space you had which had become a big plus once you saw it.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:44PM
mshutterbug
I think you're completely right :)
In our powder room there is exactly 30" between wall and vanity, with toilet in middle. It is a pain to clean...but you know, there's 48" wall to wall where the master toilet is currently...and I don't much like crawling around to clean there either ;) granted it is easier to reach, but still.
I am definitely going to need to look at what our tub options are. Even with a little 5" pony wall, with a 22" vanity, I think we can still really make this work nicely.
Thanks again for all your help!
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:55PM
suzanne_m
I was thinking that if you choose to have a 36 in. double door, you would have room to put a full height mirror in your closet.

I remember now that you said you wanted a space to mount a towel rack. For the tub, you could use a rack like they have in hotel. For the vanity, I guess towel rings would work.

I had participated in one discussion where the original poster is going to install cafe door on her husband's walk-in closet. She said otherwise, the doors would always stay open. The cafe doors she has in mind are not like a saloon doors ;) they are normal full length doors with special hinges so that the doors always stay closed when not in use. They have the option of staying opened by having a lock that make them stay opened but with just a little tap they can close by themselves. One other advantage with cafe door is that you can just pass through with a load of clothes without having to free a hand to open the door. If you are interested by this idea, you can check the link below. The thread is long so look at around the July 29 comments.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/564898/Need-new-master-bath-floor-design
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 6:45AM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! I definitely need a full-length mirror somewhere...good point! I am going to check out that thread because I'm having a hard time picturing the doors you mean, but I'm intrigued :) I especially like the idea of just pushing through with a laundry basket. One question on the last layout... what is the width of the tub there?
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 7:37AM
mshutterbug
Just took a peek...very interesting. I never would have thought of that. Most of the ones I'm finding in my quick online search look like they literally belong in a saloon ;) I'm hoping whatever type of doors we use for the bathroom/closet will match the rest of the doors in the house... (this pic was taken before they were painted, but the only pics I can find with them painted also have my kids in the picture lol)
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 8:02AM
mshutterbug
Ok, here's a view of them painted that also shows the detail ...don't mind the plastic iguana or the play "caution" tape. Life is never boring around here :)
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 8:04AM
suzanne_m
You already said you have kids, right? No wonder you find iguanas!

The tub was drawn 30 in. wide.

You just need to look online for regular 15 in. wide doors. There might be other things you need to consider about them but I don't remember all what have been said about the subject.

That subject along with other things about her bathroom and walk-in closets, was discussed in 3 posts. All the 3 posts are long, so it is hard for me to give you the exact location of the comments about cafe doors. You can look at them and maybe while going through those discussions, you will find other interesting comments:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/741315/Closet-design
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/669481/I-need-help-picking-materials-for-my-master

She is planning on using her current bathroom doors for the cafe doors. The only thing is she will need to add recessed door knobs to cover the holes left by the current handles.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 21, 2014 at 8:28AM
mshutterbug
I don't know if this is the exact door (seems like my husband said they were "solid core" something or other), but thinking about the entrance into the bathroom, and getting as much space as possible for tub/toilet, would there be a reason NOT to use a door this size? The rest of our doors are 30" I believe. So, besides the fact that it might look odd to have a door 6" narrower...is there a reason not to? I tried moving the pocket door so that the opening was only 24", and it seems fine. Obviously you won't be able to move any big furniture through it, but otherwise...? http://www.lowes.com/pd_373179-11813-LO373179_4294858069__?productId=3550732&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 9:46AM
PirateFoxy
The powder room in this house has a 24" doorway and it does function, but it feels and looks very narrow even just standing on it's own. (There are no other doors nearby, just open doorways.)

I'm not sure about installing a wall just to put a toilet paper holder on. I suspect the room will feel nicer and more open without a wall there. (I know there's the element of seeing it in the mirror also, but, well, it's a bathroom. There are toilets in bathrooms. As long as I don't have to stare at it from another room when the door is open, I've never been particularly bothered by seeing a toilet in a bathroom. Though I don't like to have to stare at myself in a mirror while I'm USING the loo. :) )
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 21, 2014 at 12:31PM
suzanne_m
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:26PM
rinqreation
Are you planning on living here until you get very very old? If yes, don't use doors less than 28".
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 21, 2014 at 1:58PM
mshutterbug
Thank you guys!
Ok, I feel really silly...but it turns out my measurements were off a bit. It was so long ago that I started this project, and I think somewhere along the way I padded the numbers for the interior dividing walls. At any rate, I'm off...but in a good way. I also checked with the contractor who we may be working with, and he confirmed my new numbers are correct. The space is 133" x 143". So, the 12 ft wall is really 11 ft 11 inches, and the width is 11 ft 1 in.

Suzanne - any chance you could help me with a new diagram? Basically everything stays the same, just a little roomier.

(Assuming I did the math right:)

I'm thinking if I shrink the closet to 5 ft, that adds 6 inches to the bathroom. That would still give me 3 ft pathway in the closet, but it would make my vanity 78" long. This would allow me to have a 60" cabinet with an 18" laundry hamper (I know...I'm obsessed with the dang laundry hamper lol). Even if I just did a longer vanity instead... seems like it might make more sense to keep that 6" in the bathroom since it doesn't do a ton for me in the closet... 5" for the dividing wall (I rounded up from the 4 3/4" that the walls in this house seem to be). Then that leaves 60" for the closet. (Or I could keep it as is, with basically a 66" closet and a 72" vanity/tub.

In the bathroom portion, the added width is great! (I think before I was assuming I'd split it lengthwise, and thus lose 5 or 6 inches...who knows. At any rate, with a 22" vanity, a 5" pony wall, a 30" door opening, that still leaves 76" for the toilet and tub to share.

Anyways, what do you think?
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 2:14PM
suzanne_m
We can see quite often hardware mounted on glass like you see in glass shower with bars. I wonder if there is a way you could mount a toilet paper on a glass. If it is possible then you could have a frosted glass instead of a pony wall. This would take less space. Maybe it is worth to do some research on that?
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 2:16PM
mshutterbug
I have seen those Suzanne... I'm not a huge fan of those glass walls. But I think with the extra 7" that I didn't realize was there, should easily be enough for a regular 4 3/4" pony wall, yeah?
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 2:28PM
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 2:35PM
rinqreation
Couldn't help but to throw some of my thoughts stuffed in a floorplan into this post again.

About 11' length closet space (floor to ceiling, plenty of shelves, two rods above each other, drawers, endless possibilities). An extra 17" closet for folded linen. Lots of open floorspace to get dressed and move around in. Double doors in a 39" doorway. Double sink, wide vanity, 2' tall cabinet on the side. About 70"x34" tub; soaking for two. There you go.
2 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 21, 2014 at 2:43PM
suzanne_m
That is good news! Most of the time we hear that the space is smaller than what have been mentioned before.

This is the layout with the new dimensions. If you are willing to have less space between the tub and the toilet, you could have a 66 in. wide tub.

The doors are an excellent find. But before you commit to double café doors, make sure your contractor does not see any problem installing them.
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 21, 2014 at 2:44PM
mshutterbug
Thanks ladies! rinqreation - aaaahhhh...remember that comment about me being indecisive? It's because people like you keep coming up with these new creative ideas!! :-)

Suzanne - thank you! I think I want to stick with the 22" deep vanity... I think it will be plenty of space, and then with the door snugged up to it (which ironically is exactly where the (horrid pocket) door sits now, I'll be able to fit a 30" wide doorway, even allowing 36" to account for trim, then a 5" pony wall. That would leave me room for 36" for toilet width and a 34" wide tub (rinqreation - I am totally sold on the bigger tub for two!). Right? That seems plenty roomy, and with the extra 6-12" next to the toilet (behind the tub, depending on the length) I could put some little shelves or something like this:
And I like that it gives more buffer between the toilet and tub for movement.

Though maybe those 6" are better kept in the closet? If someone is going to stand and look in the full length mirror, more room would be better. On the other hand, I could just put a full length mirror on the back of the door into the bathroom itself...
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 3:03PM
suzanne_m
I have done the changes. I put the shelves on the other side because you could have a full length mirror door where you could stand far enough to see yourself entirely. Also because it might be too tight to stand between the tub and toilet to open the shelves.

The only thing is you have to make sure that the door for the shelves can support a full length mirror ... either use a light weight mirror or strong hinges or both.

IMO, it is better that you keep the 78 long vanity if you like to have a hamper in your bathroom ... otherwise you can have one but it would go into your closet which many people do.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 4:22PM
suzanne_m
Oops, you can't have 18 in. wide shelves, because the tub would be only 60 in. long. If you want shelves then I guess they would be only 6 in. wide, let say 5 in. to allow for the frame of the shelves. Maybe this is just enough to keep small toiletries (?)
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 4:29PM
mshutterbug
Good point about the shelves. I think they'd probably not be very practical/useful. I like the idea of a mirror on that wall opposite the vanity, but I think I prefer the extra space be on the toilet end to give more room to step out. Could go either way I guess hmmm...
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 4:47PM
suzanne_m
I think I would not bother to have a 6 in wide shelves. Personally I would leave that space empty so you can mount a towel rack and not be in your face when resting in a tub.

In the other discussion that I participate, she is having a shoe cabinet with a mirror door. that shoe cabinet is located in a strategic place so she can stand far from the mirror. Maybe you could do something like that in your closet.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 4:49PM
suzanne_m
With a 72 in. long tub, I think you have plenty of space to get in. I would keep the faucet on the toilet wall and have a towel rack at the other end.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 4:51PM
mshutterbug
I was thinking about your comment about keeping it a 78" vanity. It occurs to me we could do two sinks in a 48" vanity cabinet, then my hamper on one 15" end, and a 15" shelves/drawers on the other end, with a countertop running the length. Yes the sinks would be close together but people do it (and there are even double sink 48" OTS options) and then we'd each get more space on the other side of sinks...which I'd even prefer over a larger middle area. Then we each have our own space that isn't overlapping... What do you think of that idea?
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 4:55PM
suzanne_m
This how I see it:

I agree 2 sinks in 48 in. wide space is a bit tight but it is workable if you are ready to stand a bit off of the center of the sink when you are 2 at the sink at the same time. If you do that, I would try to get narrow sinks so you get a bit of counter space between the 2 sinks.

A second option is to reserve some space in your closet for the hamper. Many people do that and plus your closet is very close to the bathroom. In that case, if you want to, you could reduce the vanity to 6 ft but then it means that the towel rack would be a bit above the tub which even if you area resting in the tub, it would not be too bad since it is well above the tub.

A third option is to go with rinqreation last plan. It offers the cabinet inside the bathroom and you don't need to cross the bathroom to access the closet. If you don't like the open concept of the closet, you could always put a wall but I suspect that rinqreation left it opened so it feels more airy and you don't have that long walkway to get to your bedroom.

BTW, the tub in my last drawing is 6 ft with a 6 in. deck and not 6 ft 6 in.

Personally, I would go with option 2 with a 78 in. wide vanity. If you use 15 in. from your closet for a hamper, you still have 15 ft 11 in. of closet plus the top part of the 15 in. since the hamper uses only the bottom part.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 6:43PM
mshutterbug
Yeah, her plan was really neat! But logistically I think it would cause problems if you have to go through closet to come in or out. I could see one of us "trapped" in the bedroom :-) I think probably I'll try for hamper in closet...and keep a nice wide vanity.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 7:03PM
rinqreation
Looking into closets like these below every time I walk into my bedroom would not bother me at all (boy, the space I'd have!!). Better than the cramped hallway and walk-in closet. Better than a closet behind the bathroom (to me is purely practical: clothed-undressing-naked-shower-dry-dress-clothed, not having to walk through a damp room fresh and dressed). Better than weird corners in my closets that will most likely be nooks old clothes dissapear in. And maybe even have an ottoman to sit on too! Yay for walk-through-closets!
(I'm acting one-sided, notice it?)

north albany master suite
Master Bedroom Walk Through Closet Custom Cabinetry
GREEN with Envy: LEED Certified Whole House Renovation
Cottage on the Hill
nc
Bathroom Entry
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 2:42AM
rinqreation
And leave out the bedroom door if you are somewhat claustrophobic. Just a doorway will be fine, because you're not looking into the space when in bed.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 2:44AM
rinqreation
And did you notice you're already tweaking details in a layout you're not even sure of? (or are you?) Shouldn't it be the other way around?
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 2:51AM
mshutterbug
You make great points rinqreation! And those are some gorgeous spaces! At one point we looked at a layout very similar to the first (only it was closed off from the bedroom hallway. Might have been catieb who posted it. It was basically a reach-in closet on either side with a path between and the bathroom at back.

With it being like this, you'd ha to walk through closet to get in or out...neat idea and great examples! But I know I like my privacy when getting dressed :) if husband or kids want in or out of bedroom they'd have to go through the closet while I'm in there getting dressed. I wouldn't like that...
You were right when you said basically I can't have it all....so I've got decide on best compromise :)
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 7:37AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, I don't want to encourage you or discourage you in any layout you want in your house. You will be the one who will use it and you know which lifestyle you have with 3 young kids which I believe is what you mentioned in the other threads. I can totally see a kid two running right in your bedroom.

Again, in the spirit on trying to see potential problems and finding possible solutions, I just want to check with you if it would be a problem with having someone locking the bathroom's door when someone else wants to access the closet? Is this a compromise you are willing to make?

I see one potential solution with having the closet at the front. Would it work with you if you lock the door you have currently in your bedroom while you want to get dress. Would it annoy your husband to have to knock at the door before entering the bedroom? Would it annoy you to go and unlock the door while undress?

Again, you know what is best for you. I just want to point out problems and solutions so you will take an informed decision.
2 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 8:22AM
mshutterbug
Yep, and the 3 young kids was one more vote against having bed on the right side wall. Husband pointed out that the bed would be the first thing anyone saw if they barged into the bedroom. We do have a lock...I'm just saying lol!

We had the closet at the back of bathroom in our old house. While not ideal, there very few instances where it caused a problem.

It would be a huge problem if someone were in the closet (or had locked it and gone in to shower. Say my husband was getting ready for work and I was in bed...one of the kids wakes up and needs me, but he's locked the closet door. How do I get out or kids get in? For our lifestyle this scenario just wouldn't work.

Now I do prefer the idea of the closet being at the front and separately accessible...if it doesn't involve affecting our walkway. With the added several inches I now know I have, I revived an old idea that is very similar. (I flipped toilet and shower just for personal preference of which is on the wall shared by our bed.

PS. Husband just saw me sketching this and said "is that the bathroom again?" Lol! I had told him Thursday that the layout was settled :-) but with a few extra inches it allows new possibilities ;)
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 8:46AM
mshutterbug
Husband prefers my last sketch because we can use closet separately...we do lose a few feet of closet space though (albeit corner space)...5 ft would be fine for him...6 would work for me, though it's certainly not as good as the other option.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 9:11AM
suzanne_m
This looks a lot like Rinqreation's last floor plan except that the closet is enclosed. I am going to draw it with my software so you see the details of the dimensions once the thickness of the wall is included. I am going to see if I can add the shelves Rinqreation had in her plan.

In this layout though, I don't thing café doors will work if you want privacy unless I could check with another user that knows a lot about café doors if you can lock them when you want to.

My only negative comment about the plan you draw above is I find sad that you get only 11 ft of hanging space with that big space being reserved for the closet. It is all about compromises. So when it is drawn you can compare with the other plans and pick the one you like the best.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 9:12AM
mshutterbug
Actually we'd lose a few feet of perfectly accessible hanging space AND some in the corners...hmmm...
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 9:12AM
mshutterbug
Typing same time :-) I was thinking French doors using those 18" wide ones...maybe that's not possible though. I agree Suzanne. There is a possibility of some shallow shelves in the non-hanging walls but it is a bummer to lose the space. It's about tradeoffs though isn't it...
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 9:16AM
mshutterbug
I definitely would want a normally closing door (and I'm assuming my idea of 18" French doors wouldn't work lol) but a 30" door put you back in the "wedge yourself in to close the door" territory in the bathroom, doesn't it? Knocking a foot off the right side (so closet becomes 5 ft total on both sides) would solve that, but then you're down to only two 5 ft hanging areas...
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 9:38AM
mshutterbug
Suzanne - to compare I'm thinking 5 ft closet space would give 6 ft I impeded hanging on each side (4 ft lengthwise, 2 ft across...if you follow...can't sketch it cause I'm on my phone). That would allow normal 30" door. Thanks again guys!
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 10:11AM
suzanne_m
This is the layout as per your last drawing except that I reserve only 15 in. on the right side of the toilet since you can close the door to clean behind the toilet easily. I also put regular 30 in. door because I did not understand your last comment about double door vs 30 in. door (?). However, I am pretty sure that a double door can lock. You see that quite often for exterior house entrance door, I don't see why they can't do it for an interior door. I can check with my friend if you can lock double café door, if you like the idea. You have the space for double door in that plan if you like but you can add 3 ft of closet on the south wall if you choose a 30 in. door.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 10:15AM
suzanne_m
If you are re-considering to have the closet in front, maybe this previous layout is worth re-considering too since it gives you more linear ft in your closet.

I could adjust it with the new dimensions.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 10:25AM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! Well, I prefer the other layout because it allows a big tub and vanity...though yes it cuts back the closet :(
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 10:30AM
suzanne_m
If you don't mind, I would like to try it with the new bathroom dimensions. I noticed that I made a mistake with the vanity. It is 6 ft not 5 ft 6 in. and you will have space for a larger tub since your bathroom is larger. Over all you would lose only 2 in. of your closet since the bathroom is 1 in. shorter.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 10:35AM
mshutterbug
Of course :) couple thoughts...with vanity against back wall, there's space for 3 ft wide tub, 6 ft vanity AND a 2 ft cabinet. It also puts the toilet in its own space with nothing next to it...
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 10:39AM
suzanne_m
I tried to put the vanity at the back like you suggested but you would not have enough space between the vanity and the space in front of the toilet.

In the layout below, it did not work completely as good as I thought because the tub was drawn 30 in. wide. It is a bit tight between the tub and the toilet and the pony wall but the tub is 36 in. wide. If you choose to have a 34 in. wide tub. you would gain 2 in. where you could use around the toilet. Personally, I find this is a good layout since it gives more closet space, given the new dimensions and the closet is in front.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 11:20AM
mshutterbug
I like that...but when I see the corner hanging space, 2 ft of it isn't really accessible, so it winds up being 5'6" on one side and 7'6" on the other. Which is 2+ ft more, but of course you give up the vanity at the back and the extra 2 ft cabinet at the end...
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 11:58AM
suzanne_m
I see your point. I must say that even if I mentioned that the corner is not that practical, it still can be used in some ways ... you may have access to about 6 in. in the corner but you could also use it for off-season clothes.

I agree though you don't get the cabinet inside the bathroom, which I know you would like very much and plus with the previous layout, you get a 36 in. wide tub. If you are ok with losing 6.5 in. of closet on the right, you have room to put double door in the closet and bathroom.

I noticed that I made a tiny mistake in front of the toilet ... it should be 2 ft 5 instead of 2 ft 5.5. I don't think that matter really but what I like to say is I realized that sometimes I make mistakes on my measurements so when you are decided or hesitating on 2 floor plans, I will double check everything. This way you will be confident that what the measurements I give is the real measurements.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 12:19PM
mshutterbug
Ok so here is my analysis between these 3 options (not sure if they'll post in the right order, but here goes)...

A. Closet at the back
-7 ft at the back 3 ft on either side, total 13 ft useable for hanging clothes
-78" vanity
-fewest plumbing moves

B. Closet at front with vanity on back wall
-5 ft on left, 5'6" on right, total 10.5 ft useable for hanging clothes
-72" vanity plus 24" cabinet (or an 8 ft vanity)
-could have full mirror on door and probably see back of self in vanity mirror
-toilet not next to anything

C. Closet at front with vanity to right
-7'6" on left (useable hanging space, not counting corner) 5'6" on right, total 13 ft useable for hanging clothes
-72" vanity, no extra
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 12:26PM
suzanne_m
If they are the 3 you are considering, I could double check all my measurements later.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 12:42PM
mshutterbug
Well on Thursday I told husband that #1 (closet at back) was THE one, that I was done sketching and considering. He said he'd believe it when he saw it lol!

But then rinqreation got me thinking about the closet at front option again... Husband would prefer this idea, but says he doesn't really care and we can do whichever I like best. So yeah, in my mind we are down to these 3. So I'm trying to visualize actually using the space and the pros/cons to each...

:)
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 1:04PM
rinqreation
B. without a mirror on a door (hang one on the wall next to the closet entry)
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 22, 2014 at 1:39PM
mshutterbug
I am liking that option too...even though it has the least amount of closet space. I am going to have to think really hard about that. I had an idea though....my crude sketching over top Suzanne's in order to just get it down before I confuse myself further.

I'm thinking it's probably a bad idea lol, cause it only gives my husband 3'6" of space to hang clothing and me only 5'. (It is very similar to the idea that you shared rinqreation, without the open space because you no longer enter through bedroom..if that makes sense). But, if I make that an 8 ft vanity, or simply a 6 ft with a 2 ft tall cabinet next to it (great place for towels!) instead of putting the hamper in the bathroom across from the toilet... in all honesty, thinking about it, there's little chance my husband will use the hamper if it's across from the toilet.

Whereas, if I put it in the closet, I could see an 18" wide (by 24" deep) built in hamper at bottom, shelves at top - like this, only not in the bathroom ;)
then next to it another 18" shelving unit. Not certain if I got the scale right since I didn't sketch it out properly. But anyways, at 24" deep, that would eliminate 24" of hanging space to a corner. I could extend shelves or something (kind of like a blind corner cabinet), but I'm not sure that would buy me much.

Anyways...just thinking about this. Just seems like in this layout, makes more sense to have hamper in closet. If you walk directly into the bathroom, that's where you take off your clothes before you shower - and drop them on the floor if you're my husband or kids :P So a hamper in the bathroom (to hopefully catch those clothes!) makes the most sense. If you have a closet to walk through first, you are more likely to take off clothes in there, walk into bathroom, get in shower. So the hamper would need to be in closet. I've never used this type of floor plan, so I'm speculating on actual practical use...but it seems to make the most sense.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 2:17PM
mshutterbug
Obviously I don't NEED a built-in hamper... could just as easily buy a cute one like this and stick it on the floor of the closet lol:

In fact, if I do go with option B. Still thinking it through. You are decisive with your vote rinqreation..what makes you like B the best? Anyways, if I do go with option B, it probably makes the most sense to keep the full 5'6" for hanging clothing and just get a nice basket to set there on the floor, rather than taking up valuable real estate for my built-in idea. Though, again, practically speaking, husband (and me too, for that matter) has more clothes that would be folded and put on shelves/drawers than hung up (as it is, they don't all fit in his dresser, but we literally have no clothes hanging up now, as they are all in boxes). Does that change any opinions? I know that in any of these I can get some sort of closet organizer so that it's not all hanging space...just again, trying to think of it in ACTUAL use, and which layout really makes the most sense for our lifestyle.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 2:28PM
suzanne_m
I am just playing around since you said you have more folded clothes than hanging clothes and also because I thought maybe your husband would use the hamper more if it were beside the tub. You could use a hotel style towel rack like I posted a day or 2 ago and you could have towel rings for the vanity. It is just a thought.

There is a empty space beside the hamper on the closet side. This might ease the access to the corner.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 3:14PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! I shouldn't have said that about not having much hanging clothing...it just confuses the conversation lol! We are going to try to pull all our clothes out and hang them in the existing closet (which is about 11 ft of hanging space). We don't use it because the floor is just subfloor and it's partially demolished so it's just kinda eww. Instead we have our clothes that we wear in our dressers. (I haven't needed access to my closet clothes because none fit me after baby lol! But I will need them soon). Anyways then we can decide better if the smaller closet will work for us... I do like that last layout too.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 3:27PM
rinqreation
Straighten out that wall with the hamper, use an undercounter sized hamper or in the storage (mine is under the sink). Tower rack or robe-hooks can now go there and the closet is better accessible. Not sure what you plan to store in the bathroom, but the vanity cabinet and upper part of the tall cabinet should suffice. Don't try to fill up every inch of your space or it will feel cramped, even when it's really not. Virtual peace, so to speak.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 3:55PM
suzanne_m
That is a good idea mshutterbug. I like the way you are proceeding ... measuring the space you need for the clothes hung and folded and listing all the advantages vs disadvantages concerning plumbing expenses, length of vanity, hamper, length of easy hanging space vs not so easy. I think one other factor you should add in your list is the privacy issue and when there is a risk of someone being locked in or locked out.

Personally, I really don't mind all those floor plans we are working on, even if some of them are very similar with only small differences. I think going through that process, you can add one good idea from one plan and adding it to another plan. At the end, it will make you confident that you choose the best plan for your needs with the least amount of compromises.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 22, 2014 at 3:55PM
rinqreation
And did it come to mind there could be two rods above eachother?
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 3:56PM
suzanne_m
You are right rinqcreation, I never wrote it on the plan, I always took it for granted but mshutterbug should add more linear feet in the closet since only a part of it needs to be single rod for long garments.

I like your idea of having the hamper under the sink, this space is so often under used.
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 4:01PM
mshutterbug
Thanks rinqreation! Yep, I assume we'll have two rods above each other, at least in part of it. I just didn't want to muddy up the conversation with that :-)

Thanks Suzanne! It does really help to see these various little changes and consider how to add the best parts of all the plans to the final one.

I do think I prefer the straighter lines of the closet without the bumpouts. I like the hotel rack idea, but since it will be a tub/shower, I'm thinking that we should keep the inside of that tub wall empty. But yes, right there on that wall would be the perfect spot for a couple of hooks or a rack.

I am certain that dirty clothes will end up in the first room that we enter, whether it be closet or bathroom portion. So, if I go with option B, the best idea might really be the simplest, and just put a basket on the floor in there.

I do still like the plan with closet at the back, just for the added closet space and the open feeling I think it has. But option B has some really appealing aspects too. I especially like that there would be a place to store towels in the extra long cabinet area. C is also nice because it has the same amount of useable closet space as option A, but the benefit of the closet at the front. I think the smartest thing to do now is sit down with all 3 plans, figure the cost, figure how much room we truly need for hanging clothes, and try to visualize walking through them.

PS. We are back in full-on renovation mode. The babies are napping (woo hoo!), I'm here thinking again about these bathroom plans, multi-tasking to figure out an upper cabinet configuration in my kitchen, and husband is finishing up the process of getting the whole house hooked up on remote lights, and is pretty excited about it. He's been showing us how he can turn the lights on and off with his phone. Doesn't really excite me, but I'm glad he's happy about it :-D
2 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 4:19PM
suzanne_m
I thought having the hamper and the cabinet in the bathroom was a bit overkill, I was just trying to suggest something where your husband would use the hamper.

I really like rinqreation's suggestion about the hamper under the sink. It should be close enough for your husband to use it. Maybe you could have 2 hampers ... one under the sink and one in the closet ??

I think having an inventory of your clothesis a very good idea. You could decide if you need to add shelves or not in the layout below.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 22, 2014 at 4:32PM
suzanne_m
After doing your inventory of clothes, if you find that you don't need those extra shelves in the layout above and if you like the idea of having french doors, you can check the last layout you drew by hand. It is plan B with double doors on both closet and bathroom.

If you like the idea of café door(s), I can check with my friend if you can lock them when needed.
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 12:37PM
rinqreation
Sure can.
2 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 1:03PM
rinqreation
But only put a lock on the bathroom door. One which you could open with a screwdriver or coin in case of emergencies.
2 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 1:07PM
rinqreation
That was comment 200! :)
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 1:09PM
mshutterbug
Woo hoo - made it to 200 :-) thanks so much ladies! I'm getting myself all confused with my layouts (probably have 200+ of those :-D
I know I'm down to 3...gotta go through my folder and make sure I know which 3.
Will be attempting that clothing inventory today too.
I like the double door idea for the closet because it would extend less into the room, but I wonder if it would feel less private? Says the one whose main bathroom (the kid bathroom) has no trim around the door and thus you can actually see through the crack if you stand next to it! But hey - it's an improvement over the *shower curtain* that was there the first several weeks after we moved in!!
On an unrelated note - do u guys know of a free software I can use to mock up some layouts for kitchen upper cabinets (elevations I guess it's called)? (Tired of sketching by hand lol)
0 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 1:43PM
rinqreation
IKEA has a nice one.
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 2:42PM
mshutterbug
Thanks rinqreation! I've used the ikea one, but it can't get as precise or do exactly what I want to do :)
0 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 2:48PM
rinqreation
When in 3d mode you can move cabinets up and down or even stack them, did you find that out too?
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 24, 2014 at 2:35AM
mshutterbug
Thanks rinqreation - yep, I actually used it to do my initial mockups. It's a cool tool :-) But I've got some non-ikea-standard sizes, and I really want to see exactly what my layout options will look like with the doors attached.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 6:32AM
rinqreation
Ask the kitchen company you'll be buying from, they might make some time for you, since you're already a costumer.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 24, 2014 at 7:17AM
mshutterbug
Thanks rinqreation!
Heard back from contractor regarding the layouts and estimates. He said this about the layout with the closet at front:

"Most importantly was the relation of the vanity cabinet to the tub. In layout 2 the vanity is portrayed up against the tub. What it boils down to is this. We can build it like that, but cannot offer a warranty on it because of probable water issues and damage. What we can do for that specific layout and warranty is shrink the vanity back from the tub by 1 foot, install a floating counter without cabinet and a partially fixed glass shower door, or put the toilet beside the tub and the vanity cabinet behind the door."

I have seen quite a few pictures of vanity butted up against tub, like in the drawing... (here's one:
)

So, it seems odd that he's saying it would be such an issue... edit: on second thought...the examples I'm finding are of bathtub ONLY..so perhaps the water issue is related to the fact that it would be a tub/shower, with potential spray etc.... hmmm...
0 Likes   March 30, 2014 at 2:00PM
rinqreation
Install a partial glass (block) wall, lower half tiled. No more splatter.
0 Likes   March 31, 2014 at 1:32AM
lucidos
Put in a corner vanity (center storage). Turn the tub, toilet opposite the tub. Small depth cabinet by the door.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    March 31, 2014 at 2:30AM
rinqreation
I understood mshutterbug would like to prevent the toilet ending up next to the tub.
2 Likes   March 31, 2014 at 11:01AM
suzanne_m
One minor change with Lucidos' suggestion to accommodate the issue with the toilet being in front of the tub is to turn the tub 90 degrees on the right wall and move the toilet where the towel warmer rack is.

With quick calculations, that layout would offer about 11.5 ft of linear rod + 3 ft of shelves. It would also have the advantage of keep the tub plumbing in its original location.
0 Likes   March 31, 2014 at 2:47PM
suzanne_m
I remembered, you said at one time that it would not be the ideal but you would be ok if the toilet was perpendicular to the tub. I thought, the minor modification to Lucidos plan would place the toilet perpendicular to the tub but no it would still keep it toilet parallel.

I was hoping that Lucidos drawing with that small change would offer you one more possibility to evaluate but I guess it has to be eliminated.

Note that I can understand why Lucidos suggested a drawing with the toilet beside the tub ... I remembered that one of the plans you had considered was the one with plenty of space in the middle in the bathroom with double door opening to a spacious closet. That one had the toilet beside the tub. :)
1 Like   March 31, 2014 at 9:34PM
lucidos
Toilet in private area.
Tub is 66x33 (can be wider)
Vanity #1 is 48"
Vanity #2 is 30"
Center storage 24 x 24
Tub storage with hamper.
His and Hers closet 4'8" x 7'1"
Closet will need a custom build. Shown are kitchen cabinets
2 revolving corner units. Three 3 drawer units.
Hanging poles above should be pull downs.

This will be your least expensive option giving you optimal space.

Toilet and tub in same location.
1 Like   March 31, 2014 at 11:08PM
rinqreation
I have become the one to tackle designs.. Guess someone needs to play that part ;) ;)
Looking at your design, I wonder how I would be able to dry my toes (I need at least 3 feet without sharp corners near). And I wonder how my hub and I would be struggling standing at the sink (bending over and such), might aswell be a single one. And I'm not keen on corners in wardrobes.
1 Like   April 1, 2014 at 12:06AM
lucidos
Just trying to maximize the space given all the various parameters. Of course there could be a double sink or a single with a large counter. As far as the closet I tossed some kitchen cabinets in there...not a closet design in the least.
1 Like   April 1, 2014 at 12:14AM
rinqreation
It's ok, nice to have a fresh breeze in a (multiple) dilemma that has received about 400 comments. Poster will get there, eventually :)
2 Likes   April 1, 2014 at 12:39AM
lucidos
She could always put one of the kidlets in the basement and steal their room :) "I'm sorry little Jimmy mommy needs your room for a closet you and the gecko will now live downstairs."
2 Likes   April 1, 2014 at 12:42AM
rinqreation
Geckos are cool, they make funny sounds.
1 Like   April 1, 2014 at 12:51AM
mshutterbug
Thanks! We actually did consider stealing space from one of the kid's rooms ;) our girls will eventually share a bedroom. For now the littlest is still in our room, but we have a small 4th bedroom that could be hers. If she'd stop waking us up in the middle of the night we'd move her to that room or her sister's room now. But having one baby up is bad enough...if we move her closer to where sister sleeps they'd likely both be up. Anyways, the 4th bedroom is too small to steal space without taking it over entirely, and we need to keep it for various reasons.
Yep - I've gotten some great ideas here. Thanks :)
0 Likes   April 1, 2014 at 6:15AM
lucidos
Hah I put that comment in very late last night as I went to bed I considered deleting it worried that you may have no humor particularly at this juncture of this project. Looks like everyone has tried valiantly to get this all sorted and in the 11th hour here you have to be pretty unwound.

Your project is at the creative thinking point now. Since,(and believe me many of us have tried on numerous projects) we can't invent space it's time to look at space saving. I suggest getting it done the most cost effective way you can, which will also be faster - less disruption and re-addressing it in a bit where you may actually be able to make an addition.

That was the thought in my plan if the tub and the toilet are left to the one wall opening for a larger closet and better sink arrangement, in due time, wouldn't be as bad financially. Looks like that is where the outside wall is.
1 Like   April 1, 2014 at 10:20AM
mshutterbug
Lol I've definitely still got humor. At this point in the project I've reached either laugh or cry stage!

Thanks for the comments :)
0 Likes   April 1, 2014 at 5:10PM
lucidos
((((hugs)))) it all works out.
2 Likes   April 1, 2014 at 7:32PM
mshutterbug
Thanks lucidos :)
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 6:40AM
suzanne_m
I don't know if you are still interested in other floor plans or if you have decided on the one suggested on March 22.

I believe a plan where you split your space in 2 lengthwise has not been revisited since you corrected the dimensions of your bathroom. I like the one below because it has one straight wall. One thing I know, you mentioned is that you want a 2 ft 6 in door for your closet. If you want to consider taking 4 in. from your bedroom, you could have that door and have a wider walkway in your closet. This floor plan is not perfect but it seems that you will have less plumbing work to do and give you a bit more linear ft in your closet.
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 1:59PM
joanbllt
I looked at this in sort of an odd way - don't know if it would work. But it gives you no toilet view from tub
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 6:03PM
joanbllt
did a minor reverse of the above - for this
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 6:18PM
suzanne_m
joanblt ... just good news ... mshutterbug told us that the space is 11 ft 11 in. by 11 ft 1 in. Much more fun to play with more space :)) The door has to be on the 11 ft 1 in. wall.
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 7:04PM
lucidos
Ahhh...ok new plan. Closet 5'10 x 8'5" Oh by the way you could do a hall entry instead for the closet. The wall will still need to be angled for walking space.
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    April 2, 2014 at 8:38PM
joanbllt
I'm going to assume interior dimensions were given - this still gives a lot of space - puts toilet off in its own corner - plenty of counter space for sinks and about 15 ft of hanging closet space.
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 9:39PM
joanbllt
or perhaps do this which lessens door and opening conflict
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    April 2, 2014 at 9:52PM
suzanne_m
Nothing luxurious but very cost effective since the toilet and the vanity stay in their original locations.
0 Likes   Thanked by mshutterbug    April 2, 2014 at 11:57PM
mshutterbug
Hi joanblt - nice to see you!
suzanne - thanks for the new ideas!
lucidos - thanks! that is really neat how you an show that view :)

alright - I'm gonna look through these latest more closely. I had decided it would be one of the two (from the 3/22 posts). But, until we actually give the go to start work, obviously I can change my mind ;) I haven't been able to put any thought at all into this because we had contractors in the house all last week...putting up the trim and baseboards. So, I had to keep the kids out of the house ALL DAY, ALL WEEK. Let me tell you, I have an 11 month old and a 2+ year old. They still need naps. We did hang out with the grandparents one day, where they were able to nap. The rest of the week...let's just say it was a long week! The contractors were super nice and said we weren't in the way at all...but it was just too stressful to be here and try to keep the babies contained. We also have had a family medical situation with my husband's father. Anyways, all that to say that I still haven't done the closet inventory or really thought any more on this.

I really appreciate all the help and ideas!
1 Like   April 3, 2014 at 6:19AM
rinqreation
My vote (still) goes to this layout:

Note: the toilet won't be the first thing you see when it swings like that.
1 Like   April 3, 2014 at 6:48AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, I wanted to show you this layout just in case you are still not 100% sure about the layout you want.

There is no changes in the plumbing but I don't know if a single sink vanity works for you and if 10 ft of closet is enough. I also don't know if a 66 in. x 33 in. tub is fine.

I thought it was worth to show it to you.
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 2:36PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne!
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 8:28PM
joanbllt
There will not be a perfect answer - and what may be the best alternative for your use at this time in your life may not fit future needs. It's probably choosing the least worse in satisfying your needs. This might work for fulfilling some of your needs the closet door could be a pocket door to eliminate door swing problems The sinks are 66" rather than 72" but may be adequate for your needs. A cabinet for linen storage or hamper can be added in the nooks created by the toilet enclosure.
2 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 6:06PM
suzanne_m
You have many options offered. I agree with joanbllt that no plan has all the musts and nice to have but I think you can look at them as which one(s) offer(s) you the most of what you like as opposed as which one(s) give(s) you the least of what you don't like. It is a subtle difference but it will make you feel good about the final decision.

That being said, I like joanbllt last layout. You get a large closet, a toilet separate from the tub and a double sink vanity.
1 Like   April 5, 2014 at 6:54PM
mshutterbug
Thanks ladies! I feel pretty good about a few of the plans. Bottom line - it's "just" a bathroom ;) it's not as if we hang out in there all the time. I have to stay focused on that fact. I think one of these will work great for us for a long time. Just gotta pick :)
1 Like   April 5, 2014 at 7:12PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
For what it's worth:
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 7:35PM
suzanne_m
Let us know which one you pick :)
1 Like   April 5, 2014 at 8:33PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Mark!
Suzanne - I definitely will :) I'm a little "ADHD" with this remodel project, bouncing from one room to another, and back again, with lots of little (and big) distractions along the way! I will keep you posted!
0 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 7:38AM
mshutterbug
I will say this...in our kid's bathroom we just moved the toilet from running parallel the tub to being opposite the tub, and it is SO much more open feeling. Stepping out of the tub/shower is nicer, and giving the babies baths too. Now in that situation it is a standard 5 ft tub, and I'm hoping for a 5.5 or 6 ft tub/shower in master, so maybe it would be less of an issue. But the change in the kid bathroom definitely has me leaning toward an option where the toilet is not parallel the tub. I know I've mentioned that already, but seeing the difference in practical use has me more certain that's a high priority :)
1 Like   April 6, 2014 at 11:50AM
suzanne_m
mshutterbug, when you have eliminate some of the floor plans and still undecided about few of them, I can draw the ones that are not done with my software and post side by side all the ones that you are still undecided. I think that way, it will be easier for you to compare every detail on each of them. Maybe it will be 1 or 2 or 3 details that will help you eliminate some more. That is if you are interested.
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    April 6, 2014 at 12:25PM
mshutterbug
Thanks Suzanne! That would be wonderful :)
0 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 12:58PM
suzanne_m
You are welcome. When you are ready, let me know which floor plans you would like to see side by side.
1 Like   April 6, 2014 at 1:06PM
mshutterbug
Quick update... remember rinqreation's idea about installing a partial glass wall to block splatter? (regarding the problem of installing the tub/shower up against vanity) I ran it past the contractor and his reply was this:
"It’s an interesting idea. The issue we’re having with it revolves around the fact that the face of the tub is not designed to have anything against it and that vanities that get installed into alcoves have a wall which provides airflow around the sides to prevent rot issues. But your wall idea does give me an idea that might work. I have a meeting with my partner on Tuesday and I asked that we take a look at your tub/vanity setup and see what we can come up with. I’ll let you know after the meeting if we might have an idea."

Anyways - we are pretty focused on getting the kid's bathroom done at the moment, but I will update you Suzanne when I know which floor plans :)
0 Likes   April 7, 2014 at 6:38AM
rinqreation
Partially on top of the tub's edge would be nice. But I hope your builder is as weird creative as me (hub and I call eachother McGyver from time to time)
1 Like   April 7, 2014 at 7:07AM
mshutterbug
Thanks! The issue isn't the enclosure, but having the wood of the vanity touching the tub enclosure as opposed to touching a wall or being freestanding...at least that's my understanding :)
0 Likes   April 7, 2014 at 8:44AM
suzanne_m
Are you planing to use a shower curtain? If yes, where and how will you keep it when not in use? Pleated on one side or closed?
If it is pleated, which side will it be? On the vanity side or the opposite side?
I am asking these questions because if you are using a shower curtain, chances are, you will need some space between the tub and the vanity unless you keep your curtain hanging inside the tub.

You could keep it on the opposite side of the vanity and you would not need the space to slide your curtain between the tub and the vanity but a pleated curtain uses about 24 in. It won't affect the access to the tub to get in but it may look a bit cramped to see 24 in. of curtain then 26 in. of tub then 22 in. of vanity.
0 Likes   April 7, 2014 at 9:48AM
suzanne_m
Personally, I would vote for a glass like in the link I gave you instead of a curtain but that does not solve the issue you have with the vanity touching the tub. I am going to look at bathrooms on Houzz to see how they solve that problem.
0 Likes   April 7, 2014 at 9:59AM
suzanne_m
You could have an undermount tub framed with a deck to put a glass of wine when resting in the tub. Then a glass beside the vanity to prevent splashing on the vanity and floor when using the shower.
0 Likes   April 7, 2014 at 10:14AM
rinqreation
It's really nothing more than a tiled pony wall with glass (block or flat) on top, solid up to just a little above vanity height, transparent towards the ceiling.
0 Likes   April 7, 2014 at 10:26AM
1 Like   Thanked by mshutterbug    April 7, 2014 at 10:34AM
suzanne_m
Make your pony wall as shallow as possible because every inch you use for your pony wall is one inch closer your left sink is to the toilet.
0 Likes   April 8, 2014 at 7:24AM
Maximize this bathroom closet/storage
We are just starting to demo a 90-year old bathroom....
kshanahan
Need help maximizing a small master bedroom closet.
We just purchased a 3br 1ba colonial in Boston. We...
sailinmaster
Need help with bathroom and closet layout
We just can't figure this out. We are trying to redo...
rpl814
Pantry - How to maximize storage-deep, off the ground, kitchen closet
Pantry - How to maximize storage Deep, off the ground,...
alexis100
Need help with interior layout of closet - mudroom - utility closet!
I need help planning the inside of a closet (exterior...
Theresa Moody
rredpenn
need help regarding floor designs of porch and lobby
ours is rectangular 250 sq ft. plot that is about...
rishabaggarwal
$10,000 budget to change paint/floor.
Want neutrals on walls of living, dining, family room,...
beeb13
Help! Kitchen Layout ... New build
Hi! We are building a new home and are not sold on...
Brenna Pearce
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22