What to do in this family room?
karenemilymalcolm
We are having a really hard time deciding how to set up the family room. We finally painted our 1980's house and now we are trying to decide on how to set up the space as well as to decide on whether or not we should 1) square the fireplace brick, 2) add a mantel, or 3) paint the brick. Or all of the above.

It's an awkward space. It is 16 1/2' long and 11' wide and it comes off the kitchen (the railing in the photo is right behind the kitchen table).

There is a patio door that leads to the backyard and a sliding pocket door that leads to the washroom and garage.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how we should set it up or what we should do with the fireplace would be greatly appreciated as we are indecisive people and need some help.

Thanks
Karen
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
The shape of the fireplace is ok--you might want to tile over the brick. There are many tile choices available including, ceramic,stone and glass tiles. Also a colorful area rug would help.
PyramidDG.com
September 9, 2013 at 12:31PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
Consider replacing the railing with a pony or knee wall and installing TV mount and gear stash there, opposite the FP, which will eliminate the TV stand. Leave sofa as is but replace chair with two swivel-glider style ones that can rotate to TV or FP watching position. Anchor seating with nice area rug, pull coffee table 18" from the sofa and get a round table to place between the pair of swivel chairs. Your furniture seems to say 'beach' so try sisal or imitation sisal which may be softer. Consider a complete remodel of the FP with stack stone veneer.
Kylie Chair
Shelter Island Beach House
September 9, 2013 at 12:35PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
karenemilymalcolm
thank you for the suggestions.
September 9, 2013 at 3:37PM   
I think brick is beautiful and the style and shape of your fireplace is unique! I wouldn't change anything. And it looks like you already have somewhat of a mantel. I would build on that. Perhaps you could enclose your brick mantel as in this picture?
]
September 9, 2013 at 3:56PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
Lydia (Kazza Design)
The brick and shape of the fireplace are fine. There's already a shelf at the bottom so I don't see the need to add a mantle (just another place to put "stuff"). Adding artwork would fill up that space and enhance the fireplace. Here are just some examples of colours you could use in artwork.
September 9, 2013 at 4:28PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
Lydia (Kazza Design)
If you decide to paint it go with the same white as your trim. Whether you paint it or not, definitely paint the opening of the fireplace black.....that would update it instantly.
September 9, 2013 at 4:32PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
Lydia (Kazza Design)
Don't know if this will work for furniture placement but I would get something different to use as a TV stand and put it where the couch is. The couch could go either in front of the patio doors or facing the fireplace. Place the chair accordingly depending on where you put the couch. The coffee table should be in line with the couch. Some different styles to consider.
September 9, 2013 at 5:01PM   
Lydia (Kazza Design)
More styles.....
September 9, 2013 at 5:02PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
Lydia (Kazza Design)
A rug would make the space cozier.
September 9, 2013 at 5:11PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
smileyface2013
I think the fireplace looks good as is, and will look better if you remove the railing and paint the wall one color instead of the two. (Or keep the railing, but paint all one color). Visually, the two-colored walls detract from the fireplace, which is the focal point. I agree with the others who have suggested a rug under the seating and coffee table. One other thing is that there is too much white: white tables and sofa cover. I would suggest changing the sofa cover to a solid blue (? whatever color the stripe is in the chair). Add some large pictures on the walls, and accessorize the end tables with photos, plants.
September 9, 2013 at 5:28PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
Lydia (Kazza Design)
A rug with some blue and gray......
September 9, 2013 at 5:33PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
Shape and scale of fireplace is terrific. Your walls are a terrific neutral but the brick tone turns them green - paint the brick with glossy masonry paint in the white of your trim - in one afternoon your whole room will be updated / transformed. The other option that is a bit more traditional / cottagey is to take the taupe paint in the lighter shade of your upper wall, and add water (about 2/3 paint, 1/3 water) then paint the brick. Do it fairly lightly, and the brick will suck up most of the paint so that your look will be a washed or antiqued brick look. Given the furniture I see, I think you will be happiest with plain solid white - then add a rug (west elm has an amazing one in the santa fe collection with some blue and some taupe that reminds me of your room) and voila . .
September 9, 2013 at 5:46PM        Thanked by karenemilymalcolm
What do I do with empty corner of my family room?
The corner is bigger than it appears in picture. It...
Help! What do I do about this Family Room?
I have attached some pictures from different angles.....
Just want a place that's relaxing!
Being a junior in highschool is stressful with lots...
What color furniture should I use for this two tone blue room?
My entire house was a silver gray, and I was desperate...
What to do with this toilet space
Our master bath has all this space around the toilet....
What to put next to tv
Hello. Does anyone have any suggestions about what...
Do I keep or replace these bar stools?
Going a bit more rustic in my design. Not sure that...