Concrete Floors vs. Carpet vs. Other materials in Bedrooms
ísARK Studio
September 9, 2013 in Polls
Hello Houzzers!
We're interested in hearing your opinion regarding concrete floors in bedrooms. When we are doing speculative projects we realize it might not be for everyone, especially in bedrooms. so we would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Kind Regards,
isARK Studio
Do you prefer concrete floors in bedrooms?
Do you prefer carpet in bedrooms?
Do you prefer (another material: wood/tile/cork) in bedroom?
Or does the material not matter beyond ease of use/cleaning in bedrooms?
Wood flooring would be my pick.
September 9, 2013 at 4:50PM     
armygirl1987
I live in South Florida and tile is very common here. I recently had laminate and just removed it due to issues with toilet and small dog. I installed porcelain tile and is quite happy with it.
September 9, 2013 at 4:56PM   
Patrick Peyton
Wood flooring with decorative area rugs to personalize the space is my choice.
September 9, 2013 at 5:03PM   
armygirl1987
Porcelain wood looking tiles.
September 9, 2013 at 5:08PM     
ísARK Studio
I guess I would love to clarify and ask for any additional general thoughts you have on concrete floors, specifically in bedrooms. For example, wood floor or tile is not an option and budget is a factor. What's the word on concrete in the Houzz eyes?
September 9, 2013 at 5:09PM   
armygirl1987
I have never seen concrete so not sure if I can give a opinion on that. Do you have any pics to show.
September 9, 2013 at 5:23PM   
ísARK Studio
Hi Angela,
Here's a few links from other Houzzers but we can't really find many bedroom pics. We personally really like the look but it's great for us to hear what others think too. We find it to be a labor intensive process but it can be less than wood or tile, especially in new construction. I think it also lends itself more to a modern home. What do you think?
Black & White Apartment

Living Spaces by SUITE New York

andrew pogue photography

Basement Concrete Floors Naturally Look Modern and Amazing with Sealers and Wax

And a great ideabook on concrete floors:
Ideabook: 5 Benefits to Concrete Floors for Everyday Living
September 9, 2013 at 5:38PM   
Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
My personal preference would be wood flooring with area rugs, but in my own home, we still have carpet, because it's what was here when we moved in. It's soft, quiet when I am coming to bed late, and my pets like it for sleeping. If budget is the issue, I'd take an LVT (luxury vinyl tile) floor over concrete - it absorbs sound better, is softer to walk on, not as cold to walk on, and looking more appealing. It's also well priced. I have an LVT floating floor - no glue, no grout, no fumes, and it has a sophisticated look, and is easy care, especially if there are pet accidents like my cat's gift this morning.
September 9, 2013 at 5:40PM     
0825sam
Agree with hardwoods as first choice. But to answer your question, I wouldn't be opposed to a cement floor. I could see it in a modern or rustic/industrial home. I would put antique rugs over it for an eclectic look.
Is it freezing in winter though?
September 9, 2013 at 5:43PM     
armygirl1987
Personally other than the basement one it is not my thing. I hate shiny floors. Here is my recent porcelain wood tile.
September 9, 2013 at 5:45PM     
Scott Design, Inc.
Will you have radiant heated cement floors? Will you be using pigments and patterns?
September 9, 2013 at 7:11PM   
ísARK Studio
Hi Scott Design,
I guess it was more of a hypothetical question for bedrooms in general but that's definitely something to think about. We have specified wood, tile and concrete before- it usually just depends on the style of the home and preference of the client. I think concrete can be done in a number of ways but in our area I would never spec radiant because it is rather warm most of the year so the coolness of the concrete is actually more refreshing. We've never done a pattern but have experimented with stains and waxes as well as natural honed. I'm not sure we would ever do a pattern for a bedroom though. I think area rugs are important for any hard surfaced space though.

We do have one mid-century modern home we're remodeling and we removed the existing carpets and found a beautiful and visually interesting slab. The bedrooms have still yet to be decided upon, which is one of the things that got us thinking. This is a speculative project so we're able to experiment more and wanted to see what people thought in a poll. I guess on this project the main spaces are going to be honed and tinted wax concrete and then the bedrooms are undetermined.
September 9, 2013 at 7:34PM   
melwishes
In a shared space (eg, entry, kitchen,living) it looks like a decor feature. In a bedroom it looks like you ran out of money.
September 9, 2013 at 7:48PM     
hme75
I think concrete flooring can be beautiful with the right finish and in the right climate. I'm in MN, so I just can't imagine anything but carpet during our long cold winters. In a different climate I would consider concrete.
September 9, 2013 at 7:54PM   
mimi0110
We're building a new home with a modern minimalist look and we will have concrete floors throughout the house, including the bedrooms. I think concrete is fine.
September 9, 2013 at 7:55PM     
pegonia1
I love the look of concrete floors and would love to have them through out. I have them in my bathrooms. My concerns would be the coldness in winter if I lived in a cold climate, which I don't. And the kitchen, where a lot of standing is required.....what affect/toll would it take on the body????
September 9, 2013 at 7:56PM   
Sustainable Dwellings
I chose stained, polished concrete for the main level of our home. It was not cheap, at all. I also selected beautiful area rugs to soften the look and feel where needed. It looks gorgeous.
September 9, 2013 at 7:58PM     
mimi0110
Wear Dansko shoes. I just bought my first pair yesterday.
September 9, 2013 at 7:58PM     
ísARK Studio
Hi Melwishes,
That's an interesting thought- do you mean it looks like you ran out of money if there is concrete in the bedroom or if concrete was everywhere else and then it wasn't continued into the bedroom? Appreciate your take on it.
September 9, 2013 at 7:59PM   
mimi0110
So, where do you buy "beautiful area rugs"? I'm just curious. Do you think Costco is a good place to buy rugs?
September 9, 2013 at 8:02PM   
Sustainable Dwellings
My concrete floors are heated in several zones, very comfortable in winter.
September 9, 2013 at 8:02PM   
Sustainable Dwellings
Never been to Costco. I do get discounts in several places, and, I have invested in custom designed rugs for our home.
September 9, 2013 at 8:04PM   
vbarton
We just finished pulling up carpet and painting concrete in most of our house. We love it in the main areas but find it can be a pretty hard on the feet and legs. For that reason we decided to leave carpet in the bedrooms. (An interesting side note: our dog hates it! She definitely gravitates to the rugs and carpet.)
September 10, 2013 at 4:34AM   
Lightlink Lighting
I usually like aged hardwood floors but stained and polished concrete can be beautiful, especially with a tribal carpet over strategic parts. I'm amazed how few homes use carpets like this even in large rooms. It's floor art.
September 10, 2013 at 10:20AM     
Newport Harbor Home and Garden Tour
I would prefer a softer more lux look and feel for a Master bedroom especially.
September 10, 2013 at 4:35PM   
smileyface2013
I could not image concrete in a bedroom, except in a urban loft setting. I also don't like tile in a bedroom, although this is very common in florida. I like the idea of hardwood in a bedroom for allergy reasons, however, I'd still want to put carpeting on top of the hardwood, for warmth and for muffling sound.
September 12, 2013 at 5:56AM   
indianpatti
I would not like concrete floors in my bedrooms ... doesn't fit the comfy, relaxing feel that I like. Wood or carpet.

Looks great in the living room or kitchen though.
September 12, 2013 at 6:02AM   
What is weird is that the carpet is leading in the votes, yet no one admits in the comments that they like carpet LOL, so let me be the first to shamefully admit * I like carpet in the bedroom* there I came out ;))
September 12, 2013 at 6:05AM      Thanked by ísARK Studio
Judy M
I don't mind carpeting in bedrooms but I prefer wood with area rug.
September 12, 2013 at 6:10AM   
cynamonc
I like the concrete floors. I have seen them scored to look like tile and this looks nice too. I have seen them look just like travertine, it's beautiful. We are building a home in Florida and will be putting them in house throughout. You can always add a plush area rug in the bedrooms that can be changed out every few years to give the room a new look and warmth. I hate carpet. I like hard surface floors and area rugs.
September 12, 2013 at 6:11AM   
ísARK Studio
Thanks for your thoughts everyone! It's been very helpful. I personally had never associated lux with carpet but it seems to be more about comfort than anything else- which is a great thing to remember for the bedrooms.

Happy Designing/Remodeling/Reimagining!
Taryn
isARK Studio
September 12, 2013 at 6:20AM   
josepurr
We have Texas ranch style home with stained and scored concrete in main living areas. Although it's beautiful and relatively easy to keep clean it does not offer the sound absorption that hardwood floors do (if u have surround sound tv be warned) and there is huge difference in comfort-it's very hard on your feet compared to wood or carpet. I have to wear my comfy shoes indoors. It's nice in Texas that the concrete floor stays cool in summer. I would never do carpet again in main living area-just invest in good area rugs for comfort & sound issues. As far as bedrooms go we went with carpet and I'm happy with that decision. I want to be able to be comfortable going barefoot in my bedroom and I don't ever want to have to mop bedrooms. Vacuuming is much easier:)
September 12, 2013 at 6:21AM   
Andrea D.
I would never pick concrete here in NH but its extremely durable, soft, economical, environmental, and you can customize color. A fluffy area rug would take the coldness out if it. This could be the future of floors; who knows?
September 12, 2013 at 6:25AM   
Andrea D.
Rugsusa.com has the best selection and prices.
September 12, 2013 at 6:26AM   
thewhovian2000
I would love concrete everywhere with area rugs.
September 30, 2013 at 10:58AM     
Flooring choices - Vinyl plank vs polished concrete vs other
We removed wood-grained laminate flooring due to a...
Carpet vs wood floors for bedrooms (resale concerns)
Trying to decide whether to put wood floors vs carpet...
Carpet vs. wood floor in bedrooms?
Do buyers prefer carpet or wood floors in the bedroom?...
What is the percentage of carpet vs wood flooring in bedrooms?
Just a question, looking for opinion or statistics!...
What eould you do in that room?
Room is 16 x 15 Walls on the sides are 48 inches high Total...
Replacing windows on our 1950s house!
We are doing some exterior renovations to our 1950s...
Front entry is boring
This is the front entry of our home. We think it's...
Help, I've fallen into beige and can't get out!
Beige. It's a nice neutral color but I'm at the point...
Need help deciding on a backsplash and wall color for kitchen.
My cabinets are dark cherry with black stain(I think,...