Outdated Kitchen needs your HELP!!
bmevans2004
I need some Houzz help with my outdated kitchen. We have done some work to it, but wanted to make sure the sale on it went thru before we put anymore money into it. It was a horrible green flower wallpaper...we stripped the wallpaper and painted it and replaced the light fixture over the table, but that is it.
We are on a budget, but I know we want to replace the awful green carpet with tile and replace the fridge and wood looking dishwasher. It's actually all in very good condition, just outdated. I DO NOT want to paint the cabinets, because that seems like more than I want to tackle, so I need other suggestions.
I plan on changing the cabinet hardware, replace the sink and faucet, change the window treatment and replace the ceiling fan. Those are small things that I think will make a big difference along with the flooring and appliances, but I just don't know what would look best.
I would love to tear out the range vent because it makes the space seem closed in, but I'm thinking it may have to stay. I would call this area an open concept with our main family area is on the other side of the vent and this is the area we spend most of our time in, so I want to have something nice to look at.
The laundry room is to the left of the fridge and I want the flooring to flow in there as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Brandi
smileyface2013
Actually, it's a pretty decent looking kitchen. If I could make only one change, it would be to remove the hood vent over the cooktop. It will have a huge impact if you could remove it.
September 9, 2013 at 5:36pm     
sstarr
Well, you can lighten up the room with paint; I don't think the dark red is attractive here.
You can swap out the little spindles on the cut out wall on the right, or better yet, remove this wall section as it doesn't appear to be structural.
You can get an updated hanging fixture.
You should really remove that range hood, and replace it with a (relatively inexpensive) stainless one from Ikea.
But the thing that draws my attention the most is the floor. Replace that before you do anything else.
September 9, 2013 at 5:38pm     
bmevans2004
I would love to remove the hood all together...Im not sure of the cost to do that, but need to check into it. It's just an eyesore and would really open the room up if it was gone!

I agree with removing the wall, but again not sure of the cost. I'm husband says he would have no problem knocking it out, but doesn't know how to fix it!

I painted the top red because you can see a little of the dining room on the right of the fridge and that one wall is painted the same color.

The light fixture is above the table has been replaced but I don't know what to put in place of the ceiling fan.

The carpet is horrible...if its all I could afford to do, it's the first thing gone! I only put the area rug in there to try and cover the green squared carpet. I want to have it tiled along with the same tile into the laundry room. The carpet will be GONE!

What color would you suggest then? I don't want to vary it much since the family room has that red color as an accent color.
September 9, 2013 at 6:06pm   
bmevans2004
This is the wallpaper that was in there before and it was the entire kitchen...top of cabinets, under the cabinets and even the light switches!
September 9, 2013 at 6:09pm   
It's not a bad kitchen, spacious and fairly good looking, but I really think the red needs to go. I would paint the soffit the same color as the wall with the kitchen table. And for tile I would get a color close to the color of the wall, Use the largest tiles you can get. And I'll add to the chorus saying the range hood must go.
September 9, 2013 at 6:30pm     
bmevans2004
You all know best, so the red will be repainted and that an easy fix. But why does the red look so bad? I need to know so I can get better at this stuff!

It really is a nice, well built, spacious kitchen...but it was built in 1985 and never changed. It needs new life put back into it!

Another question...if the red is repainted and the tile is a close color, won't it look boring in there?
September 9, 2013 at 6:35pm   
Spa Parts Place
I am going to spray my kitchen cabinets black, Is it better to use a water base polyurethane or oil base to protect the paint and get that High Gloss finish look.
September 9, 2013 at 6:40pm   
sstarr
The red looks bad because it is too dark, and brings the tone down overall. Use cream or greige to modernize the look.
Use plaster webbing and spackle to patch the wall after you husband sledgehammers the spindle wall. I did an entire room when converting a kitchen to a dining room; the holes were big and everywhere. It can be done.
Tape, spackle, sand, spackle, sand, repeat.
September 9, 2013 at 6:44pm     
bmevans2004
That makes since about the red or a dark color making the room seem heavy...Thanks!

I'm thinking we could handle lots of spackle...if it would help the room so I won't hate the kitchen anymore.
September 9, 2013 at 6:49pm   
Have you looked under the kitchen carpet to see what is there? I don't expect hardwood but maybe tile?
September 9, 2013 at 7:00pm   
bmevans2004
No we haven't looked but I'm sure it's not tile or hardwood. We ripped the carpet out of the bathrooms (these people loved green carpet) and it was plywood or whatever you call the sub flooring.
September 9, 2013 at 7:06pm   
cathieg
It really is quite a nice kitchen you have and with these few changes it'll look fabulous. The first thing I noticed when I looked at the main photo is three paint colours. The red, especially as it is along the soffit, seems too heavy. With the red in the adjoining room you could still use it in the kitchen as an accent colour without having it on the walls. Introduce it in your accessorising. I would paint the walls a warm neutral colour. Do you know someone who could help with the wall removal and repair? Perhaps a local handyman? They may be able to advise on the vent removal as well. If the vent removal is impossible I would paint it the same colour as the walls (as long as it's a light shade) and it will be less imposing on the space. Some crown molding would give the room a nice finished look as well. Do you like having the fan in the kitchen? If so replace it with a new one that matches the new light fitting. Otherwise I would seek advice from a lighting professional regarding replacement.
September 9, 2013 at 7:10pm     
bmevans2004
I probably should of asked for help before painting the red, but it seemed like a good decision...lol! After looking at other pictures on here tonight, I do understand and think a neutral color all over would look better. Should I paint over the yellow too? I would like to have some kind of back splash but up in its place.

I've been asking around for reasonable local handymen with good recommendations. I'm sure we could find some help. I'm just afraid the vent may be more expensive to remove than I think or once we remove it, that leads to another fix of something else and then I can't replace the floor!

In the 9 months we've lived here, I've never turned the ceiling fan on...I'm not even sure where the switch is! I would rather have some kind of lighting in its place.

I never thought about painting the vent though...anything to make it less noticeable. If I'm cooking, you have to bend down to see the tv in the next room. Is a vent something you need to have? Honestly, I don't even cook that much...lol!
September 9, 2013 at 7:22pm   
bmevans2004
Also...can anyone tell me from the picture what kind of wood the cabinets may be?
September 9, 2013 at 7:25pm   
smileyface2013
I would guess that the cabinets are oak. I just realized that your floor is carpet! I couldn't tell at first! Yes, the carpet needs to go too. You can save a few hundred dolllars by ripping the carpet out yourself as well, assuming it's nailed down and not glued. As others have said, use large tile, at least 18 inch, and have it installed "on the diagonal." You can probably turn the fan on by pulling on the chain, lol.
September 10, 2013 at 4:15am   
ahelton142
I would definitely paint walls a lighter color. This kitchen as far as cabinets and hardware looks like mine when I moved in to our new home in match. We didn't want to paint cabinets either however I did want new countertops and hardware and could not afford countertops then. I painted my countertops which look just like yours and Iove them. Here is a pic of what they look like now. I still plan on new appliances in stainless steel. Just paint on walls and countertops will make huge difference. I put a before pic in also
September 10, 2013 at 5:03am     
ahelton142
They also have some really nice linoleum that looks like tile and hardwood out there.
September 10, 2013 at 5:07am   
Cabinets To Go
It does not look like much needs to be changed with your kitchen. The wood tone you have looks great! We have many different samples and examples of kitchens and remodeled kitchens and cabinets. Feel free to check us out!
September 10, 2013 at 7:31am   
cathieg
I'm not sure of the regulations where you live but I think a vent is a requirement. As it is the biggest issue, maybe you could replace it with something less obtrusive like this

Your kitchen could be a work in progress and you can tackle the changes one at a time as you can afford to do so.
September 10, 2013 at 8:07am     
cathieg
September 10, 2013 at 8:13am   
bmevans2004
Thanks for all the suggestions...I really appreciate them! I know just changing a few things will make a big difference. Top stuff on my list is:
Replacing carpet with tile
painting over the red
replacing the cabinet hardware

Then I can check on the hood removal...I really liked the picture of the hood Cathieg showed, if I have to keep it. New fridge, dishwasher and sink next and then the countertops.

Any suggestions for the window treatment above the sink? Now it has very old metal blinds that need to go in the trash? Is it cool to put some kind of shade up or do I need to put back new blinds?

Brandi
September 10, 2013 at 10:04am   
ahelton142
Roman shades !!!!!
September 10, 2013 at 10:14am   
cathieg
I agree a Roman shade would look great. However, you would need to consider how much of your view will be obscured when they are stacked, as you will need to mount them in the reveal (inside window frame) due to the soffit. It wouldn't be ideal to have them cutting through your line of vision, as that looks like a nice outlook from your window. You may need to consult a professional. It would be a great way to introduce some of that red.
September 10, 2013 at 9:06pm     
bmevans2004
The roman shades looks view nice and I thought about them but hadn't really researched how they should be mounted on the window. It is a nice view and I don't want to cover it up, but it would creep me out not having something there at night!

Thanks for the picture!
September 11, 2013 at 4:32pm   
ahelton142
I did inside mount on mine ! I won't lie I bought mine at lowes lol all I could afford right now but I love them !!! They do have a great selection !
September 11, 2013 at 7:18pm   
Granite Transformations
I think 12x12 tile flooring would be the right place to start. I'd then consider painting the kitchen to a warmer earth tone- Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore is a nice color.

Try to update the appliances, my recommendation is stainless.

I actually think the cabinetry is fine. I would consider updating the counters, but besides that I think you can remodel this space on a reasonable budget.

You might want to consider our granite counters, they can be installed without demo. Learn more here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/

Hope this helps, good luck!
September 11, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Crogan Inlay Floors
My favorite flooring material is linoleum. It is affordable, durable, easy to clean, and green.

Forbo Marmoleum Dual Tile

Marmoleum
September 17, 2013 at 6:47pm   
oinco
I think your kitchen is a pretty nice place to start from, so I am sure success will be easily had.

If you fried food a lot, I'd worry about the vent...if not, nice lighting will make you happier in its' place.

If you wanted to make your budget stretch a bit...maybe just paint the refrigerator black for awhile, very easy to do with the specific refrigerator spray paint, and it would look more in place with the oven....

I would be tempted to ditch the folding table and put a wood "kitchen bar" top where the dated wood spindle wall is doing you no good. You could do an Ikea or local millwork butcherblock for pretty reasonable dollars.
That would help the flow into the other red room and open up the kitchen-esp if you hang out right close most of the time.

I think replacing the hanging light with something recessed or flush and finding as flush as possible model of ceiling fan would be nice as well.

I am not sure that you would be getting a big bang for the buck with replacing the cabinet handles, and those add up pretty fast. I can't really see them close enough in the pics.

Keep us updated!
September 17, 2013 at 7:30pm   
bmevans2004
6 months after originally posting this, we have finally started remodeling this area and I love the new look!

I've taken a lot of your suggestions and e have a contractor doing the work. It's not finished yet,but should be next week.

So far we have:
Replaced carpet with tile
Repainted all one color to match the family room
Tore out wall with spindles
Removed vent hood
Spray painted the brass cabinet hardware
Replaced ceiling fan with a dome light

Left to do:
Replace fridge with stainless steel
Put lightening where vent hood was to match the others
Finish painting wall where wall was removed.

I wanted to thank you all for the ideas and keep you posted!

Brandi
February 15, 2014 at 1:17pm   
Need help with outdated kitchen prior to moving in. Help!
I was thinking about painting the cabinets White Dove...
Need help with this outdated kitchen
New cabinets are not an option at this time. What...
Need design help for my outdated kitchen!
Not a great picture, but to the left of the workspace...
Need help! Am I outdated when designing new kitchen for new home?
We are building a new home. I have chosen gold color...
Need help with my outdated kitchen (1989) and laundry room (1989)
We built our house in 1989. At the time, it was a...
Cabinets
Hi everyone I wanted to get some thoughts on these...
Turning wasted space/room into mud room? Please help?!
Hey y'all.... the hubby & I are about to embark a new...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Blinds, cell/blinds, curtains?
Not sure what to do with these 4 windows. I was thinking...