Century Club - Homes 100+ Years Old
September 10, 2013 in Other
Do you live in or love a 100+ year old home? Here is the place to connect with other people living in older homes and discuss the special challenges and benefits of century old construction.

Say hello and introduce yourself!

Massachusetts Farm House

My Houzz: Colorful eclectic style in a traditional New Orleans home

Thistlecroft
Michelle Chumsae
Hi, we live in a home built in 1770 in York, Maine. It was a stagecoach inn back in the day, and is apparently two houses (one being only one-room deep) pushed together. It's crooked and crazy, and I love it.
18 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    September 11, 2013 at 6:30PM
Looks wonderful! How long have you lived there?
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 6:40PM
Michelle Chumsae
Nearly ten years! Hard to believe. Captain Samuel Young was the original owner.
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 6:54PM
I just googled him! Out here in California, there are definitely old homes, but the east coast just has a longer history and so many more of these gems. How neat to actually know who was there first. I would get so wrapped up in researching that!!
3 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 6:57PM
Iva
Michelle, your home looks so airy and high-spirited! Really love it!

I bought a 102 years old house last year and now we are trying to give it back its bygone beauty, it was cruelly changed in seventies. It is so satisfying! It will not be the same again, but the original layout of windows has been a must.
16 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 2:33AM
Sigrid
Mine's about 100 years old, Queen Anne, with some original stained glass and original slate laundry sink in the basement. The foundation is made of stone. Wrap around porch.
4 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:35AM
@Iva Love what you are doing to restore the windows! What a labor of love.

@Sigrid Sounds fantastic! Would love to see it!
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 10:56AM
Sigrid
It's my profile image
5 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 9:44PM
bumblebee728
I don't live in a 100+ year old house, but I sure wish I did. Nothing like the charm of an old house!
3 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 10:11PM
irishraven1
My dream house is a 100+ year old home....so much charm and character and everywhere you look, you are brought back in time.
2 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 7:35AM
@Sigrid Don't know how I missed that before. Beautiful!
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 8:59AM
Adam W. Roche, REALTOR®
I love old homes, especially ones with history. Ill take a picture of my uncles from the late 1700's. It has hidden spaces, as it was a resting point in the underground railroad in the 1800's.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    September 27, 2013 at 2:54PM
Would LOVE to see that, Adam.
2 Likes   September 27, 2013 at 3:43PM
danawiehl
Hello, I live in Connecticut in a Greek Revival farmhouse built around 1820, although there is a stone carved with the date 1767 in the basement ... The very talented architect, Jimmy Crisp of Millbrook, NY designed the guest house to complement the original home.
17 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 11:25AM
Ridge Carpentry LLC
1907 Cincinnati, Ohio Been redoing it since I purchased it from my Mother, still have a ways to go but wouldn't have it any other way.
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 11:26AM
Ridge Carpentry LLC
I noticed all the houses tend to be white, that was the color under all the asbestos siding I took off and am redoing in that color. Will attach pics soon this is my Dining room redone with yellow pine raised panels and built in cabinet with some beautiful wall paper.
2 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 11:30AM
bekp
The original core of my house was built in Fargo, ND, in 1897. There apparently was a fire in 1902 and it was expanded and lived in once again in 1903. From 1929 to 1984 it was four apartments. The owners previous to us put it back into a single family home, but took many shortcuts. We've spent the last 20 years fixing hazards, structural errors, etc.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 11:34AM
bethwebber
We live in a colonial from 1792 and it has the original horse-hair plaster!
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 11:35AM
lindajean49
I did live in one 107 years old. we "restored" but did not change it. walls in same place etc. I loved the home, it was home and my husband did also. It was a lot of work. nothing was level, nothing was "standard"...which as we came to a retirement age was a burden. I sold it to someone younger who can deal with all the ins and outs. But it was my home and I had such comfort there.
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 11:42AM
Springhouse Shop & Studio
We live in a timberframed former Methodist church built in the 1840's. Still has the stained glass windows. Next door is a schoolhouse from the same decade where we have a furniture studio. They are really neat old places.
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 11:50AM
Matthew Johnson
Our two flat home in Chicago was built in 1896. It was badly mistreated over the years and in pretty sorry shape when we bought it. We're completely rehabbing it ourselves, though we're not doing restoration since we're making it into a single family home. We're blogging about the process at twoflatremade.com.
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 12:02PM
rural_juror
We rented this 1771 Colonial home in NJ that was on the town historic register. It had been restored, but still had some of the original elements and the most amazing cellar with rough log beams and the original rock foundation. I loved to think about all of the history that had happened since the home was built. My kids had so much fun living there, and although we have moved on, we still think fondly of our time in this wonderful piece of history.
(it was also supposedly haunted according to local lore!)
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 12:06PM
Nora Qudus
hello I have a fixer upper old 112 year old house, I have done only basic work so far roof, foundation and some paint on the porch...I need to look for the pictures. It is a nice house but was neglected since the 1970s. It will be lovely as soon as I can paint it. I am trying to keep the old plaster since it does not mold like the new sheet rock.
my other century home is here it is in Canada( could not afford a new house!) http://home.earthlink.net/~noramarie/
7 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 12:12PM
cclore
Our old Kentucky home was built in the early 1830s, the second home built on my husband's family farm (the first one was frame, and eventually burned). My husband and I moved in 20 years ago, and our children are the 6th generation to live here. We have enjoyed restoring it, room by room.
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 12:44PM
Charlotte Dean
We own a 110 year old cottage that our company uses as a guest house. It's for our ciients in transition, foreign missionaries home on furlough, bereaved families in town for a funeral, wedding guests who want to be with family, etc. Basically our guests stay there rent free unless they are planning to be with us long term and then they pay utilities and lawn care. The house has heart pine floors and 12 foot ceilings. It's furnished with an eclectic mix of antiques and leather chairs. It has three bedrooms and two baths. Upstairs is a converted attic bedroom with the original beadboard. We keep the house as a tribute to my mother who opened her life and her home to all in need of a friend.
11 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 12:51PM
Laurel Ennis
I wish I had the money to be able to restore a 100+ year old home in the country. I'm going broke trying to fix all the stuff on my 2000 seaside house! danawiehl you are living a dream!
4 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 1:43PM
kelno19
Our home was built in 1909, Victorian Four Square. I love it! We try to keep the character of the house when doing any remodeling or restoration. Next year we'll have to replace our front porch, but we live out there Spring through Fall.
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 1:54PM
Steve Riggs
I live in a 113 year old Victorian in midtown Sacramento, loving it! :)
10 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 2:09PM
Linda Anthony
here is our 1833 farmhouse - rural PA after deep snow last winter!
10 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 4:02PM
Linda Anthony
and now the porches & carriage shed (now garage) 1833 Farmhouse
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 4:17PM
bvdt
We love our 1890 New Englander!
17 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 5:01PM
smirules
I live in a house built in 1900, 4 layers of wallpaper and at least 2 layers of carpet to get to the original woodwork! But I love my house! I do have a 'visitor' my dog growls and barks at but I cannot see him. So far that is all he does, hope it stays that way!
10 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 5:13PM
So interesting! Does your visitor always seem to be in the same area or does it move around?
1 Like   October 1, 2013 at 5:16PM
amarada
We have an 1860's carpenter cottage that has been in my husband's family for 6 generations. Currently redoing the tiny kitchen for the second time.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 6:28PM
bethanyd
These are all so beautiful!!!!!!
2 Likes   October 1, 2013 at 6:48PM
cintirltr
We live in a home built by the town doctor in 1836. The bricks were made on the property. At 12 rooms, it is much larger than most homes of the time period in Cincinnati. Close to us is a home that is now a museum...a log cabin built only 30 years earlier.
13 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 1, 2013 at 9:38PM
Ellen Reed
So impressed with everyone's treasures!.....smiles!
3 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 4:46AM
Maddy Montemayor
This is our lovely 1820 home! So much wallpaper and carpet but we're slowly making it our own while still keeping the feel of our beautiful country home :) I love old houses because they have so much history and character!
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 2, 2013 at 6:28AM
mefor
My house was built in 1790, the barn in back is even older. I love living in older homes, they're full of character and beautifully built.
15 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 2, 2013 at 7:44AM
Gorgeous!
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 8:17AM
mefor
Thanks Emily!! :)
2 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 8:30AM
bumblebee728
Mforr, love the stone! Gorgeous! All these old homes are so beautiful!
2 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 8:48AM
Chad Johnson
I live in a Victorian era farmhouse, circa 1885. It is also the home where my great-great-grandparents raised their family. It has been out of my family for many decades, but I was fortunate enough to become its new owner in 2005. It's great living in an old house with so much character and history. I wouldn't trade it for anything. One project I am looking forward to is rebuilding the front porch. I also enjoy seeing what other old house owners have done with their homes.
19 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 2, 2013 at 10:19AM
Chad Johnson
a few interior shots
16 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 2, 2013 at 10:22AM
mefor
That's really lovely :)
2 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 10:25AM
Chad Johnson
mforr--I like your house as well. There's something about stone houses that have always intrigued me.
3 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 10:49AM
mefor
Thanks, me too. Love at first sight
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 10:50AM
Maddy Montemayor
I know that some old houses (including mine) have lots of hallways and doors to different rooms instead of having this open floor plan everyone wants now a days. I love it! anyone else?
7 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 10:59AM
cclore
Ours is solid brick, 2-story and we have had the usual challenges with running wiring and plumbing. We have tried, as much as possible, to keep the historic integrity of the house with each improvement. We had a terrific HVAC company who designed a central heat/air conditioning system for us, using the shallow closets that are stacked adjacent to the chimneys in the first floor living room and 2nd floor bedroom as passageways for the ductwork. The forced air duct continues up into the attic and across to the other bedroom, with ceiling registers to deliver heating and cooling for the first time upstairs.
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 2, 2013 at 11:40AM
Chad Johnson
I love having different areas, and spaces, that can be closed off with doors, rather than one open plan. As the seasons change I use different areas of the house. I also like having the kitchen in a separate space, to keep the noise of clanging dishes and pots and pans and other sounds isolated from the rest of the house.
8 Likes   October 2, 2013 at 11:42AM
jmgross
I have an 1812 farm house. We just painted the exterior and sanded the wrap around porch. Although, our biggest accomplishment was the kitchen renovation.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    October 2, 2013 at 12:09PM
jmgross
Here are the pictures
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 12:20PM
HI Jmgoss, looks like the photos didn't make it. Would love to see them! Are they jpegs? That works best for upload.
1 Like   October 2, 2013 at 1:29PM
bungalowmo
I love this thread!! Me...I have a 1916 brick Bungalow. Bought her in May of 07 & it's been a wild ride! :0) Been doing some slow restorations of my windows, my porch & my bathroom...so far. A dozen projects going at once, but I'm sure you can all relate.

I loved reading the great stories & intros above. Right after I bought my place, I went to the courthouse & ran a deed search & got the names of all the previous owners. I call them my Peeps! Well, I also found them ALL up the hill in the Civil War era cemetary.

Over the last 6+ years, I have had some visits from them. Nothing that frightens me at all...more just like them letting me know they're around. I want to add...I live alone, so no actual housemate was doing this.

First, my keys were always missing...then back again. Come in the back door...set them on the counter & put groceries away. Take a break for a bit, then go to put the car in the garage...no keys! Look everywhere...come back 20 min later...right where I'd left them.

2nd Christmas I lived here, started about 10 days out...I'd go to bed, lay my head down & within about 10 minutes I could hear little voices from the living room. I'd sit UP in bed...there they were. Sounded like little mischevious boys...quiet giggles. Every other night until Christmas day. Nothing since.

A few weeks ago I was cleaning on my day off. Back & forth between the living room & the kitchen, passing through the dining room each time. Then I walked from the kitchen & the wall facing me has a rather tall antique cabinet with 2 doors & each door has a latch like this http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/145/b1/b1486cad-41ea-4590-bf85-803aea1ab4fb_145.jpg They don't just open on their own. You have to tug. Those cabinet doors were both wide open!!

I stood there for a minute & just kind of laughed it off & said "Hi Peeps...wassup"?? I know they're there & I'm totally fine with it. I know they look out for me...but that's a story for another day!! :0)
9 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 5, 2013 at 1:56PM
mefor
It's great that you have a good relationship with your "Peeps" :)
They must like you
4 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 1:59PM
bungalowmo
Yeah...I have often said aloud that I am simply the current caretaker. Even though I'm paying the mortgage, this place belongs to us all & I will do my best to restore with love & only change what is absolutely necessary! Like below...bath when I moved in & during my restoration phase. This was the only room that had been changed, so I had to guess what it might have looked like originally.
6 Likes   November 5, 2013 at 2:54PM
mkritt
Almost 28 years ago we bought an old Victorian in a small town. There wasn't a day that I wasn't in awe of that house; loved it. When we decided to move to the country, we searched in vain for an old farm home. The home we finally found is on beautiful acreage, but (shudder) it was a raised ranch with none of the charm of our other home.

Twenty five years, and a lot of remodeling later, while I won't say this is the house of my dreams, it is home and our land brings peace to me (and our motley crew of rescued dogs)..but I will always remember that other house with fond, fond memories.
4 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 5, 2013 at 7:55PM
Coda Design + Build
Our client sought to renovate their home that was 100+ years old. What made it even more challenging was the fact it had been previously moved from its original location 60+ years prior. Despite a new foundation, there were many "unique" characteristics which we had to bring up to date.

Our clients top priority was to maintain the original charm and character but provide amenities and features consistent with how people live today. The way in which people use their homes today is greatly different than even 20 years ago.

Here are some photos of our work.
3 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 6:13AM
Nancy S
We've been in our not quite 100 years old house for almost 8 months. Love it, but I'm also constantly distracted by thinking about the various projects we have planned. One is to remove a patio that was enclosed in the 70s and replace it with a small addition which will look much nicer (the weird looking appendage in the second photo is what will be removed). The other projects can be summarized as undoing what was done in the 60s and 70s.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    November 6, 2013 at 7:25AM
Luciana
I don't think there's a house newer than 100 years half mile radius from where we live - and I love it. It is a conservation area and we have lists of things to respect, but it's worth it. (ours is the one with purple window frames - apparently Victorians loved purple!)

8 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 8:33AM
bubblyjock
I agree with Chad and Maddy - we prefer a house with rooms, and doors, and use different parts of the house more, or less, according to the seasons - clustering around the fire in the winter being the obvious migration.

I remember as a child visiting friends in Devon who lived in a fortified farmhouse which had missed being listed in the Doomsday book by a couple of years, so it was built at the end of the 11th century maybe 1090 or so, I guess! I remember the walls being incredibly thick - must have been 6' or so, and the ceilings were "charmingly" low. If those walls could only talk...
7 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 8:38AM
Luciana
And if you want to see the inside of one of these with some British traditional elements, have a look at this project:

2 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 8:38AM
shelleyhmln
My home was built in 1936. It is old enough to have some absolutely beautiful details, but new enough to have some more "modern" amenities. My last home was over 100 years old, but lacked much of the charm these homes have. It did, however, have a ghost and THAT I did not enjoy- it must have been THIS ghost. I love the ghost free atmosphere of my current home!
The older homes that all of you enjoy are beautiful! No new builds for me!
2 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 2:19PM
We have 15 more years to go to reach the century mark, but we have loved the two houses we've lived in from the 1920's--the first a tiny, pristine Craftsman, and our current house a brick side hall colonial.
3 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 2:28PM
lellogirl
We bought a 1920's bungalow about three months ago. This is our second old house, but the oldest house we've lived in and we are both in love with it. The previous owner was the third-generation in the house and some modernization was done, which has its good and bad points, but I am delighted most with the quirky old bits.
The childrens' rooms, I finished, but the rest of the house is a work in progress. Here are my dining room photos for before (previous owner) and after. Amazing what four days of work and very little money can do for a room.
Moving the pendant and the table to the other side has had a dramatic impact on the flow of the house.
One day we will buy a new lighting fixture we can agree on ;)
I look forward to personalizing each room, because I will never sell this one!
3 Likes   November 6, 2013 at 5:43PM
Iva
lellogirl, I think your pendant light goes very well with your table and chairs, maybe no hurry to change it… I like very much this white and blue combination together with the warm honey brown, even if in varying styles...
0 Likes   November 7, 2013 at 2:19AM
bungalowmo
I love reading the stories of folks who love their old places!

I can't wait to get back to scraping the plaster in my living room & get that finally painted!
As a friend on my old house forum always said..."Finished is all a State of Mind"!

I couldn't agree more. When I'm achy...I relax & I'm "finished" for now!! haha
3 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 6:33PM
Kathryn Peltier Design
I love old houses and I love all of your posts!
We have an 1890 Victorian house, moved to this site in the 70s (it was originally in town and was, at one time, the Methodist parsonage). It was built by one of 3 brothers who built several houses in our little town (which has grown exponentially since we moved here - we are about 15 miles east of Ann Arbor, MI) We have lived here for 23 years, but it is our 2nd old house, actually "newer" than the first, which was a brick mansard style built in 1875. We have redone the interior, of course, over the years, the most notable the kitchen, which was the cover and main article in Better Homes and Gardens Kitchen and Bath Ideas 1995. Because there was no garage, I designed and we built a 3-bay carriage style house with a second story storage area in the style of the house (thought I had a photo of the front of this but I can't seem to find it).
Victorian House Exterior
Exterior of house
Garage
Kathryn Peltier Design 1
Kathryn Peltier Design 2
5 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 8:48PM
Nancy S
Kathryn, your house is beautiful.
2 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 8:53PM
Kathryn Peltier Design
Thanks, Nancy :-) I can relate to all you are doing! We have touched nearly every surface in this entire house lol. Every time I say to my husband "You know, I've been thinking...." he backs away in a panic!!! hahaha
5 Likes   November 11, 2013 at 9:02PM
MKF
Our 1895 fixerupper! Not living in it yet. Need tons of love and $$ .
4 Likes   December 4, 2013 at 7:14PM
Charlotte Dean
Is this mostly Virginia Tidewater? Love those sconces
1 Like   December 5, 2013 at 8:17AM
MKF
Charlotte Dean, I don't really know ;( ...I lve the sconces as well. The house has a few beautiful details that we are going to try to save.
1 Like   December 6, 2013 at 3:18AM
Charlotte Dean
we saved uneven floors -- our heart pine and built on floor joists with no subfloor. In spots we can see the ground. The attic has its original beadboard and two closet doors made from vegetable shipping boxes in the twenties. Too procious not to preserve. You are welcome to come see Miss Effie's and stay a day or two if we don't have other tenants, You would enjoy touring the Shoals area to see our old houses. . .
4 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 7:48AM
granolan
Hey everyone! I would love some feedback from folks on here! I'm contemplating an offer on a 204 year old historic home. It needs a lot of work on the interior to restore/convert it back to a residential home (it's been used as office space for 40 years). There isn't a kitchen and only 2 half bathrooms. Those issues don't concern me much as I would probably remodel those spaces anyway. The house has the main entry on the right side of the house with a hallway running the entire length of the house, with the staircase in the hallway. The hallway takes up about 1/3 of each floor (it's about 10' wide on each floor). My concern is that the floors on the second and third floor hallway are really slopped towards the outside wall. The slope is about a 3" dip on the outside wall side. The foundation is solid and all outside doors and windows are still level and function really well. Friends have told me that slopped walls are just part of the historical charm of an old home (especially a 200 year old one). What are your thoughts? Would you fix it? Is it cost prohibitive? Should I just learn to love it?
5 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 4:37PM
granolan
Should have said slopped FLOORS are just part of the historical charm.
3 Likes   January 12, 2014 at 4:40PM
irishraven1
I think I would focus more on those 10' wide hallways. And actually, sloped floors do add a "whimsical charm" to the really old homes where you can almost be transported back in time! Maybe your family and friends will get a kick out of that thought....(while they're walking at a tilt into the walls! LOL!) Seriously, the house looks beautiful! Please keep as much of the historical essence of it as you can, especially in the quirky arena. Makes it fun!
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    January 13, 2014 at 7:51AM
tjcandle
I love it
I own a home built around the 1780s
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    January 13, 2014 at 8:13PM
thiamom
I have a 1920 house..."the Dutch cottage"...designed by an architect for himself. It's quite unique and I love it. I've lived here 21 years and my grandmother lived here for 14 years before me. At any rate, life is full of changes, and my house is currently on the market. It certainly helps to hear all of your love for old houses. One realtor said "who's going to buy this house? No one wants houses like this anymore! Everyone wants new!"
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    May 2, 2014 at 2:24PM
I adore old homes. I far prefer them to new ones. :)
1 Like   May 2, 2014 at 2:54PM
bungalowmo
thiamom...I think you need a new agent!

It's very apparent that there are many many people who love old houses. In just this thread alone, look at all the different styles, sizes & time frames there are. There is a lid for every pot & your home will find the perfect buyer!

I guarantee it!

We'd love to see pics! I think we're a bunch of "wavy glass voyeurs" at heart.... :0)
1 Like   May 26, 2014 at 1:07PM
tjcandle
r
1 Like   May 26, 2014 at 1:31PM
thiamom
Bungalowmo...if you want to see pics, my house is listed on historicproperties.com. Just go to Midatlantic region 2 and then pricing between 500-700. It's the Easton, Maryland one shown on the right hand side, a couple down.
I really appreciate your words of encouragement, thank you.
2 Likes   May 26, 2014 at 1:52PM
bungalowmo
You bet! That's a nice looking property! I do wish they had more photos, but at least we got to see a bit. So is "Bob" the agent you spoke of above? If he doesn't like old houses, he shouldn't be selling them.

When you find an agent with the passion that some of us have & likely lives in an old place... that's the one to hire! I think Bob needs another Job.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I swear, I know more about home styles & ballpark build years than some agents do. Example...down my street....clearly 1900 to maybe 20 classic foursquare. Listing....1940 Colonial.

Yeah....they're sorta alike.... (rolls eyes)
0 Likes   May 26, 2014 at 5:42PM
bungalowmo
tjcandle....that's a big place from what I can see...and a nice big yard too! :0)
1 Like   May 26, 2014 at 5:46PM
thebe
I live in a home built in Missouri in 1904 during the worlds fair. I love everything about and hate that you're told at every turn things are not the normal size. I've done a lot of renovation without changing the floor plan - it is marvelous - but my challenge is trying to heat and cool the 2nd and 3rd floors without disturbing the architecture. I'd be delighted to here if others have had this challenge and what they did.
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 11:56AM
Sara
Hello everyone! My husband and I recently purchased a Victorian built in 1892. We want to strip some of the wallpaper from the plaster walls but aren't sure what the best way to start this process is...any suggestions/helpful advice would be so much appreciated! Thanks :)
0 Likes   September 21, 2014 at 4:27PM
The First 100 Year Old Energy Star Home: Before and After
This (as far as Energy Star could tell us) is the first...
Anders Lewendal Construction Inc.
We have a 100 year old home and need help with the 2nd floor balcony
We are thinking of removing the windows and turning...
Debbie Gibbons
How would you amp up this 100 year old homes curb appeal ?
I am looking to amp up the curb appeal of my 100 year...
maureen
Odd looking Fireplace in my 100 year old home.
Hi All, I have a 100 year old four square with a very...
nonamd
We are remodeling the kitchen of our 100 year old home. There are many
We have a commitment to the footprint. I love the cook's...
rozy4
Bathroom design concept..
A few different design options (true-to-life images)...
VANGUARD development
Kitchen counter help
We are planning on painting the cupboards white, installing...
raybran
Facelift and ideas required!
Looking for suggestions to exterior. After 20 years...
Roger Burns
window treatment
I want to get Solar Shades for my new modern home....
Linda G
Before & After Photos
Here’s another project we began working on recently....
Vanguard development LA