need help fixing a color disaster
sanam83
so we painted our formal living room yellow and it turned out to be pretty dark and not pleasing to the eye. I used some black wall frames to mellow it down. Can you suggest me how to make it look better. I need to get a rug what color and design should I get. Also should I add any more furniture. I have a dining space too on the other side of the room which is also yellow. What kind and color of dining set would look good? Please help :S
sanam83
by the way the curtains that you see are on high ceiling around 20 plus feet
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 6:45PM
Honestly? Everything in your room looks great, except the yellow walls. Rather than spending money on items to try to tone it down, why not simply repaint.
17 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 6:46PM
howellmsue
Agreed, nothing is going to tone down the yellow walls except for a new coat of a different color yellow.
8 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 6:49PM
Like this….

P S, lower your wall art to eye level.
7 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 6:50PM
sanam83
its a hassle going through the whole thing again since the walls are very high. and another 500$..:((( btw what color do you recommend if i change it may be next year or so.. any suggestions for rugs?
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 6:51PM
Anne
Repaint.
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 6:51PM
howellmsue
What color yellow did you paint the walls? Maybe we could help you pick something a bit less intense. Also I would move those arched pieces on the window wall down so that they line up with your other piece above the chairs.....and this seems nit picky, but turn the dark square on the coffee table so that it face into the corner of your sofa (for contrast). :)
3 Likes   Thanked by sanam83    September 10, 2013 at 6:51PM
sanam83
yeah i can turn the coffe table around.. :) i think this was some sunshine shade by behr.. what yellow do you reccomend.. or maybe any other color
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 6:54PM
Sasha Retana
Get a color consultant! They look at everything in your home and recommend a color. Usually charge a flat rate. Best $125 I ever spent! Philadelphia cream by BM is a nice mellow color, Hepplewhite ivory as well.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 6:57PM
Sasha Retana
They look white or beige on a swatch, but they're yellow.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:00PM
howellmsue
Benjamin Moore's #293 (showtime is the name of the color) would be nice.... or #319 Dallia, again Benjamin Moore.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:01PM
howellmsue
The other colors in your room are saturated, so I think you need to choose a yellow that reads true and clear, just not so intense as the one you picked.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:01PM
Isn’t there a rug on the floor now?

That yellow, IMO, needs to be changed. No rug is going to fix this dilemma.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 7:09PM
lisette15
I would go with a creamy color, now that you tried yellow, I dont think you will ever be happy with that color (I thought yellow was passé anyway, maybe not! What do I know.....)
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:14PM
pegonia1
BTW, everything on the walls is hung WAY, WAY, WAY TOO HIGH!!!!! I would feel like I was living in the 'land of the giants'.....
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:17PM
sanam83
Ill have to wait for some rime to get color changed again. Will definitely check out suggestions made. The wall arts are high coz my walls are very high
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:21PM
sanam83
U only see half the walls in the picture
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:22PM
lisette15
Yes, I agree with pegonia1, wall decorations should go with the furniture not with the ceiling!!!
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:24PM
sanam83
Hmm i hav to fix tht now. Thnks for the input
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:25PM
JWinteriors
People tend to take yellow, red and blue too literally. They need to be subdued to be livable. Yellows should have orange added to tone it down...nothing looks more cheery than a buttercup yellow. This primary yellow is too shocking. Needs to be redone. Check out Napery or Compatible Cream from Sherwin Williams.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:27PM
pegonia1
In most cases (rare exceptions), it does not matter how high the ceilings are, the pictures, wall decorations, etc. should all be at eye level. The center of the hanging should be approximately 60 inches from the floor. If placed over furniture, they should be 5 - 6 inches above the furniture. Right now, they are out in neverland......
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:28PM
studio10001
There are a few things you can try to knock down the value a bit - blue- white light bulbs being the easiest and cheapest. My monitor shows green undertones ( check the can, it is sometimes used) - if so, replacing the acid green chairs could also help. By making the drapes cream,( and doubling them, as well, would erase one wall's worth of yellow) you create a larger block of neutral color to ground the selection (which would be helpful to the space even if you repaint), and lastly, you could apply an overglaze,which would deepen the colour.
That said, you seem to embrace colour- if not this particular shade - and might also consider this an opportunity for art display. Large pieces, in a gallery display and surrounded by large expanses of white where applicable, would break up the mass of colour, and create a stunner of a focal point.
I think cream in the dining room would coordinate nicely with some of these other ideas.
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:40PM
Amy Wax
I think you have 2 options.. If you stick with the yellow I think you need to pick an accent color to break it up. You can choose a rich purple or darker teal to balance the bright yellow. There are a few color themes in the Color911 app that have bright yellows you can see if one inspires you. Another option would be to paint one wall.. And not the whole place. If you paint one of the walls a creamy white not too bright.. it will minimize the intensity of the yellow and also minimize your additional expense. There are many color themes that offer you bright yellows with other colors in the app. I've attached one. If this doesn't inspire you check some others... Good luck!
3 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:45PM
sanam83
So i hav to get a lighter wall done for sure. I will look into lighter cream shades.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 7:56PM
sanam83
What do you guys think about the rug on the left suggested above?
2 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 7:57PM
sellaginella
I think if you color the curtain wall either white or brown maybe you can get some kind of relief from all that yellow. I would personally prefer white. And that wall is not going to take up that much paint since the windows are there. The white chair should be under the black frame. I think a change of curtain could do much to improve the situation. Here are some yellow rooms.
1 Like   Thanked by sanam83    September 10, 2013 at 8:06PM
Next Level Interiors
It will be difficult to tone down the yellow. The wall space is so large that I think you need re do the paint. I would get a color consultant to come in, and your paint store may have one or be able to recommend one. The rest of your color scheme in other rooms needs to be taken into consideration when choosing a color for this room. It is difficult to do it virtually and without looking at the rest of the rooms and furnishings.
It also looks like your panels cover part of the glass on the window. Cant see how they are mounted but I would get a longer pole and move them out to frame the window instead of covering it. Wall art should be lowered. Good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by sanam83    September 10, 2013 at 8:14PM
sellaginella
A few more ideas for you to put your thinking cap on and make your own decisions regarding color choices and changes without spending much. .Yellow is not such a big disaster if your eyes can find some relief by a few changes. In my eyes the two green chairs do not go with that yellow. Maybe you can find something else in your home to replace them. I am not a pro but I still thought I should give my two cents worth too. Hope my ideas have been helpful.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 8:18PM
lisette15
Maybe if you would try to put your sectional on that big yellow wall, lower and center your wall decoration with the sofa and put your 2 greenish chairs in the window, that would really tone it down, the carpet?.......hum...no!
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 8:21PM
sanam83
I can surely move the panels on the side n lower frames too
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 8:33PM
studio10001
Re. the chevron:The rug has a difficult green to place next to your chairs. Computer monitors are inexact tools, and you may be happier shopping locally for your new rug; it lends the added advantage of allowing you to choose the perfect new cream paint shade before the rug arrives at your door. Best of luck on your project.
0 Likes   Thanked by sanam83    September 10, 2013 at 8:40PM
Sue Geddes
Would bringing in grey help ?
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 9:11PM
sanam83
I dont know how grey would look. The picture looks great though :)
Studio10001 ill take some suggestions from u settin up my bedroom n kids room. Can i get ur email id if its ok
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 9:18PM
sjkingston
Don't feel bad. We've all had our paint mishaps. After two houses of using a creamy yellow, the paint store mixed up a color similar to yours and my contractor applied it. It came out screaming yellow and it felt like you were inside an egg trying to break out of the yolk. You'll need to get some samples of creams with a yellow undertone and try them on large pieces of white paper with white edges. Since we don't know the light in your room, it's hard to suggest color's although Benjamin Moore's Calming Cream might be soothing after your egg yolk yellow. Once you choose a shade, save up and have it repainted. You'll be glad you did.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 9:18PM
Glad Burgio
We had a similar situation with our home. We were out of town when the contractor painted our Tuscan yellow walls. What we did was repaint every wall that was shaded. Another words, if a wall does NOT get any sun, paint it a lighter yellow. This will be less costly than painting all four walls not to mention less labor. I have RED as an accent color- sofa and roman shades, yellow and red tablecloth in the adjoining dining room. I love the combination with our medium dark wood floors. Your dark accents will look better against a lighter yellow as well.
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 9:39PM
uzi abid
If you dont want to change paint right now , just replace curtains with sheer white , put sofa on big wall add black and white rug and pillows on chairs .add a big white canvas art on sofa wall. you can also put white trims on wall to down yellow .
3 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 9:41PM
uzi abid
...
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 9:45PM
sellaginella
Lots of greenery, houseplants will help a lot. If you are a gardener that's no problem. Otherwise it is aritificial ones plus a real bowl of flowers of course. I used to have a lot of plants inside the house and having the light on all night gave them enough light to grow on their own. A non gardener cannot do it I know. Just trying to help you out without spending much. Wall papering one wall too could help but there again, expenses!
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 10:01PM
Caitlin Crosse
Change the color of one wall in the room (I suggest the wall with the window), or panel it with some wood - even add patterned wall paper. Do the same in the dining room. It will tone everything down without having to change it all.
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 10:06PM
lisette15
Yes, this looks great! What I would do if I were you Sanam, I would remove all those little pillows and replace with BIG black and white pillows also remove those curtains and replace with white ones, recover your chairs with black and white fabric and I still think your sofa should go on the big wall and also add an area rug in black and white! Yes, that's it, you can go to bed now, you won't have to repaint if you go with this design and it will look spectacular, look at the above picture! GREAT!! Sleep tight hahaha!
0 Likes   September 10, 2013 at 10:11PM
Lana S.
I would change the curtains to really pale beige / white ones, on the heavy fabric side - they would instantly brighten the room up. I think some of the other suggestions of painting just one wall, or wallpapering just one wall, would do really well. However, I would not do the window wall (as there I'd put the above mentioned curtains) but the wall to the left. I would re-paint it to a soothing beige/cream shade. Overall, the yellow you have chosen is really powerful but it is used and it can really be a statement paint in a room when toned down. If you look at the pictures others have uploaded you can see that in most yellow rooms, white and creams tones dominate highly to offset. Good luck!
1 Like   September 10, 2013 at 11:26PM
nwduck
If you look at most of the pictures posted, the yellow rooms have a great deal of white, just like your seating. In addition to the placement suggestions, what if you just spray painted your two arched pieces by the window, and the rectangular piece over the chairs in white? With the addition of some other white pieces on the wall by the chairs, it might tone it down considerably. A couple of tall greenery pieces (live or otherwise, depending on your skills), and it might look much softer.
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 12:09AM
Missy Neworleans
does anyone ever use a glaze anymore? brown tea glaze applied with roller or plastic bag may add interest and texture. IMHO
0 Likes   December 6, 2013 at 5:46PM
Mean Design
By putting black accents against the yellow, you are actually making the yellow even more obvious. If you're not willing to re-paint, keep things kind of monochromatic. Also, lighting can help how a color is perceived.
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 6:38AM
decoratinglady5
I think I would repaint..that yellow is too much,sometimes that is what it takes to solve the problem
1 Like   December 7, 2013 at 7:05AM
Missy Neworleans
tea stain, glaze applied with sprayer and texture with plastic, sponge, rags
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 1:56PM
LB Interiors
Choose a softer color or a new softer color and repaint. There is nothing that will work for covering up most of the walls with things, that will be less bright because the amount of this color is all over the perimeter of the room on such large surfaces.
0 Likes   August 24, 2014 at 2:23PM
dollsandgifts
I am very tardy to the party, but have you considered re-painting the bottom half of the wall? Much less expensive.
0 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 5:32AM
Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
Another color selection is necessary for this room...walls are neon bright and just needs to be repainted. The pictures other people are showing are very nice but your color is not those colors...I love yellow too!
0 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 5:39AM
Need help fixing paint color choice
I copied my SIL's paint color in the kid's room. BM...
mommy2twins
Orange brick flip disaster! Need help
We have a orange house that needs help... Need help...
ABC Seamless of North Texas
Need Help: Disaster Kitchen
My husband and I recently bought our first house. Originally...
couve2013
We need help in a bad way, after a national disaster !
We are hard working people and thought after 35 years...
Mike Cook
Help needed with disaster bedroom / office
Hi Everyone. This is my first time on "houzz" :) so...
ultramel123
wood ceiling suggestions
We are redoing a 1930 grange hall into a residence....
Gretchen Maurer
cabinet door dilema
Hi we are working with a charity organization and therefore...
Danika Davis
Need advice on the entry and stairs walls
Please I need help! How can I decorate or paint the...
becky4444
Echo in downstairs half-bath
Hi. I moved into my townhome about 5 months ago. ...
sherrie622
Help my wall!
I was given these framed images by my grandfather who...
dolphinbaby