Should I paint the bricks?
123cali2
Hi,
I'm thinking of painting the brick a dark grey as we are putting a feature wall behind it? What do you think? Will it devalue the house getting rid of them? It's just so outdated!
sullywest
Yes
September 10, 2013 at 9:07pm   
abbyjean
I think a dark gray wash would be better than dark paint. I usually am not in favor of painting brick, but I am making an exception here.
September 10, 2013 at 9:09pm   
Barbie
No I would not paint it.
September 10, 2013 at 9:53pm   
Robert
I would not paint the brick. I would buy a mantel that covers the top and sides and paint it white to match the trim. Also remove the tiles from the base and expose the brick underneath. It will look awesome.
September 10, 2013 at 10:03pm     
Danica Michelle
I don't think it would devalue the house. I like to paint everything so maybe I am not the right person to respond--but I do think a dark grey would look super modern and fresh! If you want to be safe with it you can water down the paint so the brick can still show through or use a concrete stain in the color you want. If you do paint it and someone complains when you are selling the house there are products to make it look like brick again.
September 10, 2013 at 10:07pm   
If you want to paint it I say go ahead! I think a simple tile would look sleek and it's not too expensive to cover.

September 10, 2013 at 10:07pm   
sellaginella
Natural things should be left as they are and taken advantage of I think.
September 10, 2013 at 10:08pm   
aropp87
I like painted brick, but the brick you have is unique and interesting (vs the standard regular brick), I would leave it, but I would do something knew to the mantel. Maybe a dark wood top.
September 10, 2013 at 10:14pm     
mveasey
I think the stone looks pretty tired, it is probably not a natural product, but man made. I always like Darzy's opinions: paint or cover this one.
September 10, 2013 at 10:15pm     
Thank you mveasey! We do think alike!
September 10, 2013 at 10:19pm   
Janie Pollard
Painted brick fireplaces can be beautiful..choosing the right color can be a difficult decision..you have a very warm tile so choosing the right color to offset that color can be tricky..here is a link to Houzz painted brick fireplaces that should give you tons of ideas that would work for you http://www.houzz.com/painted-brick-fireplaces
Looks as though you will have to copy and paste the link :-/
September 10, 2013 at 10:55pm     
heather_11
I'd get someone to plaster coat it and then paint it. Painted bricks can look just like painted bricks! It wouldn't cost much to plaster it and would modernise it. Then you have a blank canvas
September 10, 2013 at 11:01pm     
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
I skin tired old brick fireplaces with slate, marble, travertine or granite. Cheap and effective!
September 11, 2013 at 2:20am     
sellaginella
Fire places.
September 11, 2013 at 2:26am   
Sheila Robinson
The brick is fine however I suggest you define the hearth and mantle Use a black matt. finish slate 30mm and go bold with a reclaimed rough timber mantle maybe 150mm..correct proportion and natural finishes will work every time.
September 11, 2013 at 2:55am   
Cynthia Celenza
The brick is great but the mantle looks a little lost to me.
September 11, 2013 at 4:17am   
ahelton142
I think the brick is fine . Need larger mantle . I would either go with a wood stained mantel or painted to match trim but definitely larger. I do agree that maybe you should uncover the brick on the hearth.
September 11, 2013 at 4:32am   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Of all the ideas you received I think that making a new surround out of wood( traditional or more modern) and removing the tile would be in your best interest. You can paint the wood any color you like. This will be the most timeless solution that can be easily updated as styles change without much expense.
September 11, 2013 at 4:45am     
Rick Alexander
The fireplace has been painted a darker gray using a darker version of the wall color. The mantle has been both thickened and extended beyond the front and sides of the brick. The mirror was lowered to read as a part of the mantle as opposed to floating above it. If nothing else, the altered photo should help somewhat in visualizing your options.
September 11, 2013 at 7:37am     
cathieg
I have never seen painted brick that looks appealing to me, so my vote goes with covering it with stone or the like.

September 11, 2013 at 9:17am   
Deanna Herrera
It needs a more prominent mantle. I would not paint it. I would add a gloss sealer to make it look "wet." the foot piece looks a bit off. Perhaps re tile that.
September 11, 2013 at 9:23am   
Sustainable Dwellings
It is awful. You need a new surround. look around this site. Stay with the style of your home though.
September 11, 2013 at 9:41am   
llouallen
I have never seen painted brick that didnt peel off and require reprinting. Over time it start to look tacky. I would use a concrete or brick stain and an enhancer over that to create a faux look that won't just cover it up.
September 13, 2013 at 6:20am   
Marilyn Wilkie
No offense but this is one unattractive brick fireplace. It just does not look professionally done. Also, as is, the mantle is too wimpy. It would call for a large massive slab in order to be in keeping with it's rustic look. I am going with those who suggested a new wooden surround, probably higher than what you have here. If you have the budget another choice for me would be a cultured stone which you could do yourself. Great ideas abound if you use the search function on here.
September 13, 2013 at 6:30am   
dbellisario
I like the brick. I would clean it first and add a bulkier mantle before painting. plus I don't think your wall color helps the fireplace. paint the wall a color that enhances the fireplace. if after that you don't like the results then paint it. there is no going back if you paint the brick first.
September 13, 2013 at 6:36am   
No…..great bricks and a great color. As suggested, it needs more surround.

There are some ugly brick fireplaces out there and yours definitely is not one of them.
Timeless Appeal
Living Rooms
September 13, 2013 at 6:41am     
dbellisario
iplays photos reminded me. I would also look at adding more mortar to the bricks. right now its pretty deep and would probably soften the look a bit by doing that.
September 13, 2013 at 7:15am   
Rick Alexander
A solution if you align yourself with those who think a complete remake is the only way to go . .

In my own 90+ year old home , I began with an unremarkable mantle with a brick surround. If you look closely in the first photo you can still see a vestige of the brick that survived. I built the columns and the mantle using MDF so cost was not an overwhelming factor. The crown was added during the process of adding crown to the entire room. The "marble" mantle is faux finished MDF.

The whole process was additive, no demolition involved other than removing the old wooden mantle/surround in about 5 minutes.

I ended up with viable DIY solution involving less money and more physical labor. In the realm of more money, less work, I very much like the solutions provided by iplay10s.
September 13, 2013 at 7:36am     
Trying to decide if I should paint the exterior brick.
Long story short, my husband and I bought my childhood...
Brick floor has no grout. Should I paint, white wash or carpet it?
What could I do to soften/warm up this room. This floor...
Should I paint or stain the exterior brick on our house?
We recently had our roof replaced and I'm not sure...
Living room size : 30ft * 13ft. Which Air Conditioner do u prefer?
I have a living room of the above mentioned size. Now...
This or That: Nonstick VS Stainless Steel
Which do you prefer? Vote for your choice below...
Vertical or horizontal tongue & groove for my bathroom
Hi Houzz-ers We're remodeling our small "master"...
Can I start kitchen renovation with lighting and do other work later?
I bought a condo in Oakland California. I don't like...
House listed- need opinions what else to do1!!!!
Pictures taken before finished- what else has to be...