Need a new paint color for family room that opens to new kitchen
jojo9
We would like to keep it neutral and have it compliment the kitchen. We will be installing white wood blinds, new pillows, decor and pictures.
How about going a few shades darker on the same color strip card as your kitchen paint? You seem to have enough light in the family room to take it darker.
September 11, 2013 at 7:31am   
jojo9
Thank you! I'm just not sure a blue gray would go well with everything. We used Rhinestone Sherwin Williams in the kitchen.
September 11, 2013 at 8:15am   
calmsea
This is a beautiful room with abundant and tasteful natural light. This seems to be the perfect color and often yellow is difficult to get right. This looks like an after photo not a before photo.rejoice!
September 11, 2013 at 8:59am        Thanked by jojo9
jojo9
We put this addition on 10 years ago and that is when it was painted. I do still like it but I feel it just doesn't flow well from the kitchen. It really needs to be painted so I figured we should change the color now because it may be another 10 years before we tackle it again
September 11, 2013 at 10:08am   
abbyjean
No name for you, but wondering if a beige/tan would look nice with the furniture in the room right now??? It is a safe choice and will work for ten years, too!
September 11, 2013 at 11:11am   
Sheryl Stevens
Sherwin Williams has a color I dearly love. It is Universal Khaki. It is a warm beige without the pink or yellow hues that distort a pure warm beige.
September 11, 2013 at 11:17am     
abbyjean
THAT color sounds perfect.......warm beige!!!
September 11, 2013 at 11:22am   
jojo9
I will have to check it out. I have a swatch of khaki shade which is nice but not universal. Sounds good! Thank you!
September 11, 2013 at 1:01pm   
jojo9
The color is very pretty but looks very green in this room.I think because there is so much light. I'm not quite sure but thank you for the suggestion.
September 12, 2013 at 9:03pm   
karemore55
The trick in getting colors to flow from room to room is to make sure that each color you use is the same value on the paint chip. So find other colors that are on about the same row on the color board at the store, and they should be about the same value on the chip too - for example, the third tone down or whatever. Otherwise, you get this jarring effect as you pass from room to room. You can go up or down by 1 or 2 tones on the chip, but try to stay pretty much on the same row on the color board.
September 12, 2013 at 9:17pm     
jojo9
Well our new kitchen color falls in the lightest shades basically an off white "Rhinestone" That room does not have much natural light and we tried 5 colors going lighter and lighter till we decided this was best. Everything looked very dark in there. But this room is very bright and the colors look so different I do want a nice flow since they are very open to each other.
September 12, 2013 at 9:26pm   
karemore55
It is possible your family room would look good in the blue-grey also. You might have to tweak it a bit - go a shade darker, and just a bit over on the color board toward the greens. It would be worth bringing home some paint chips and exploring that. There appears to be a bit of light blue (or green-blue?) in your chaise, and there's no reason why gray can't work with the dark green sofa. If it is also a hot room, the grey will cool it down a bit, at least psychologically! Otherwise, since the yellow that is in there is so pretty, maybe you just need to lighten it up to a honey tone, something that harmonizes with the pale grey.
September 12, 2013 at 9:45pm        Thanked by jojo9
jojo9
I was thinking of trying Wool Skein by Sherwin Williams
September 18, 2013 at 7:43pm     
karemore55
I think Wool Skein would be a great complement to the blue-grey in your kitchen. Nice and soft, very warm so will work with the greens in the family room. Yes, go for it!

Btw, my apologies for not responding sooner. I'm having troubles with either my iPad or the Houzz site and I'm not getting notifications whenever there a new post on discussions. So I'm kind of in the dark, trying to keep up with things. Hopefully, it will resolve itself soon. But I think you've resolved your color dilemma!
September 18, 2013 at 11:33pm        Thanked by jojo9
jojo9
I narrowed it down to 3 choices Wool Skein , Trusty Tan and Believable Buff but I think I will try Wool Skein first!
September 19, 2013 at 6:46am   
One important thing. Don't hang drapes on those beautiful French doors. Leave bare. On nice interesting windows. Use only woven shades on each window or go roman shade. I see rods were up at one time. That would ruins your look. Also remove all small items from walls. It doesn't matter what color you use, it's the accessories, that make a room. If keeping chain lock, paint it white to match door. The main attraction in this room is the windows. Show them off. I would also stay away from beige for walls. Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams, have wonderful colors, and good paint ck them out. This is a big area, so color will make a big impact.
September 19, 2013 at 6:57am      Thanked by jojo9
jojo9
I have looked at all of sherwin williams colors because we will be using their brand but I really am uncertain other than what I had mentioned in colors, what would flow nicely from our newly remodeled kitchen?
September 19, 2013 at 7:18am   
jojo9
Any Ideas?
September 19, 2013 at 8:04am   
karemore55
Jojo9, Thought I should clarify - does new decor include new furniture, or will you be keeping the sofa and chaise?
September 19, 2013 at 10:54am   
karemore55
Jojo, This is a C2 color called Vex, so you would have to get the paint chip, then drape it over to S-W to find a similar color. But I'm wondering if a soft beigey-green is the way to go. I think it would look lovely with the olive tones of your sofa and, to my eye, looks about equal to the Rhinestone color for intensity. I think it would be an easy transition on the eyes.

September 19, 2013 at 11:41am   
karemore55
Also, I played around with the colors you are considering (not with a fan deck - just on my iPad), and it appears Wool Skein would be your best choice if you go the taupe route. The other colors looked like they had a bit too much yellow in them and, again, just didn't look soft enough to work with Rhinestone. This one might work - it's S-W Lemongrass. It has a lot of green in it, but if it looks good next to the Rhinestone, I think its a very interesting color that probably looks different throughout the day - very complex. If it seems a little dark or saturated next to Rhinestone, just go up 1 or 2 shades on the paint strip.
September 19, 2013 at 11:46am     
karemore55
Just posting Rhinestone so you can see these two side by side.
September 19, 2013 at 11:47am      Thanked by jojo9
jojo9
Thank you! I do like the lemon grass and actually was considering painting our powder room off the kitchen or my living room which is in the front of the house that color. Yes I feel the same about the Wool skein for our family room just second guessing myself. We are keeping the furniture for now but will be replacing it hopefully not to far down the road.
September 19, 2013 at 12:10pm   
karemore55
Jojo, I think the Lemongrass would be neutral enough to accommodate many different furniture choices. Alternatively, you could just paint the FR two shades darker than the Rhinestone. I'm pretty sure it will be fine with the colors of the sofa and chaise. The safest choice would be Wool skein, but perhaps the least interesting choice?
September 19, 2013 at 2:03pm     
karemore55
Whatever you do, please post results! It would be very gratifying to see the after pics!
September 19, 2013 at 2:04pm     
jojo9
I tried figuring out what would be 2 shades darker than rhinestone but it comes as a single color not on the fan which I have. I usually don't play it safe when it comes to paint color I just want it to compliment our Kitchen for. the rooms have a nice flow!
September 19, 2013 at 2:25pm   
karemore55
I had that happen once with a Gray that I used, and felt it should be a little lighter in the kitchen, but it was a stand alone color also. Why do they do that?? Well, let me know what you decide to go with - I'm curious!
September 19, 2013 at 4:14pm   
karemore55
Jojo, Just to confuse you more - Lucent, Rice Paddy, Ancient Marble, Sea Salt.
September 19, 2013 at 5:10pm   
karemore55
Have to keep posting rhinestone so it will be easy to compare with the other colors without scrolling up and down!
September 19, 2013 at 5:11pm   
karemore55
The more I look at these colors, the more I'm losing interest in Wool Skein.
September 19, 2013 at 5:11pm        Thanked by jojo9
jojo9
Yes they are all pretty! Who makes these colors?
September 19, 2013 at 5:23pm   
jojo9
Found them!
September 19, 2013 at 5:30pm     
howellmsue
jojo9 I have Believable Buff in my family room, and just like yours it is very sunny. I have windows facing south. Believable Buff comes off as almost a gold in my room.....I wouldn't use that one.
September 19, 2013 at 6:03pm   
You can take a chip to any pant store and he can match it. Lemongrass looks a lot like you have now? Color on computer do not show true color. The only way you can see a true color is on your wall, with your lighting. Put on wall next to color in kitchen. The one gray with green undertones may work, but any of us just looking at it on computer, will not get the true pic. Buy no more than 3-4 samples, after that it gets to confusing.
September 19, 2013 at 7:31pm   
Ancient marble looks good. Above.
September 19, 2013 at 7:32pm   
Rhinestone, with. sea salt. Looks good. If kitchen is already Rhinestone, and you like it. Why not just use that?
September 19, 2013 at 7:34pm   
Castle Rock REalty
Benjamin Moore colors Monroe bisque or minced onion. Try them. One is on the beige side the other transforms itself, my girlfriend has it all over her house and it looks different in every room.
September 19, 2013 at 7:45pm   
jojo9
I tried the Wool skein and it definitely is not the right color.
September 29, 2013 at 8:44pm   
karemore55
Oh, that's very - taupe, is t it? Doesn't look too exciting. Was this just a sample pot?
September 29, 2013 at 9:24pm   
jojo9
Yes it was the sample . I have not had much luck with the samples in the past so I am not sure if they just are not as true to color. It looks like a light gray/green but not very pretty.
September 30, 2013 at 4:13am   
karemore55
Did you bring home any other sample pots, or are there other paint chips that look like contenders? Or are you back to square one?
September 30, 2013 at 8:59am   
jojo9
I think I am back to square one! I really like the colors you had suggested and they are right on the level I thought would go best but I am thinking that I need to go a little deeper in color for this room.
September 30, 2013 at 9:47am   
Castle Rock REalty
how about one accent wall with a deep red. I see that your chaise lounge has a burgundy or some red( can't tell for sure) but maybe pull some colors from the fabric on your chairs
September 30, 2013 at 9:55am   
It's just trying as many as it takes to get a great color. You can custom paint also. If you see a color in a book, etc take to paint store let them mix for you. It might take 10 tries before it's right. We can suggest a hundred colors, but you have to get and put samples on wall.(yes samples are same) Stay in your Rhinestone. Tone. On chip card, the colors they match with it. Always a good way to go.
September 30, 2013 at 9:57am   
karemore55
I'm just tossing out more colors so that you can go to the S-W color board and see where on the board they are. I'm looking at the greyer tones along the bottom of the yellows and the greens. I don't see the brighter colors working, and definitely not pastels, so keep looking along the bottom few rows of each color group. If the color looks OK next Rhinestone on the paint chip, you've at least got a contender. Then, as travisinteriors says, it's just a matter of trying until you get the one. To complicate things even more, I have often found myself second-guessing my choice while I'm painting, but once the two coats are on and all the furniture is back in the room, I realize my choice was fine. I do see yellow-greens or green-yellows being your best complement to the Rhinestone though. Perhaps someone else feels differently though.

So, some more to try (I put them next to Rhinestone so others can see what they think): Hearts of Palm, Sequin, Wheat Grass.
September 30, 2013 at 10:39am   
karemore55
And a few more: Ancestral Gold, Harmonic Tan, Ecru.
September 30, 2013 at 10:40am   
njbc
I am having the same problem choosing a grey for my new kitchen..it flows into my family room that is painted Olympic winter wheat..Love that color..have it in every room..but with new white cabinets coming I wanted something different...welcome any suggestions.
on Monday at 7:21am   
need help in picking paint color for open concept kitchen family room
House is open and we do not know how to blend colors...
Need help for open kitchen/family room paint color
I need help with what shade of neutral paint to use...
Paint colors for open space family room, kitchen and sun room.
We are 3 weeks from moving into our brand new house,...
Long narrow L shape condo balcony
I got a corner unit with long and narrow L shape balcony...
Paint color and decorative pieces to go with bedspread! Help!!
Hey everyone! I need your help! I bought a new quilt...
White Chandelier?
I'm in need of a white chandelier. I was ready to...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...