Need help with my kitchen
Marjorie Caparas
As you can see in the picture the kitchen is so dull, I'm thinking on changing the cabinet colors and so is the wall and add some better lighting. I can't afford to buy a new cabinets so I thought of just painting it. Any suggestions? Please help.
Sustainable Dwellings
I think it is great kind of industrial... you need flooring and a colorful runner in place of that one.
September 11, 2013 at 9:42AM   
Perhaps add some colors in the back of the open shelves and also change the wall color.
September 11, 2013 at 9:43AM     
Deborah Vanderzel Designs
Wallpaper the doorway wall, something bold and geometric, you can use a strong color such as yellow or permison, then take that color and paint the inside of open cabinets and ceiling
Have fun with it
Cheers!
September 11, 2013 at 10:16AM   
hazecole
I think new flooring too. Perhaps use those new chrome like panels on the walls and the backsplash keeping in industrial feel.
September 11, 2013 at 10:27AM   
Marilynne Pryor at Coldwell Banker
New flooring could get expensive since it seems to run into the other room. But definitely a great paint color on the walls and the inside of the cabinets would be a great improvement.....and not expensive. Yellow or persimmon comes to mind. Good luck
September 11, 2013 at 11:09AM   
Tessa Lander
Have you entertained placing glass tiles as backsplash? - turquoise blue or kiwi green????
September 11, 2013 at 11:26AM   
Kathryn Peltier Design
I actually like the dark (black?) cabinets! I think you can keep them and still achieve your goal. What I would do is paint the insides of the open shelves and tile the wall above the backsplash. Or, better yet: could you take that existing backsplash out and do all tile? I would tend to replace the floor rather than paint the cabinets. Is that a possibility?

Look at this kitchen, but try to imagine the green being the backsplash with the dark cabinets. A black and white floor could be great, or you could go color on that, too. It just depends on how much color commitment you want.
Kitchen

Here is a kitchen which is more monochromatic. Nice, but I do think you need brighter color since it looks like a space with much less natural light.
Sask Cres Kitchen

Another idea would be to split the cabinet color between base and wall. That WOULD brighten it up.
toronto kitchen

Using a bright, glass tile - I would suggest a low-contrast mosaic - would add some reflective properties plus give you color.
September 11, 2013 at 11:35AM     
rupert2002
I actually like the kitchen very much. The floor looks like it is in good condition and easy to keep clean.
It is a neutral color so why waste money changing it out. I would just put some mirrors custom cut inside the cubbies of the cabinets. Or color backed glass. This would give it a punch of color, and pizazz.
Perhaps a nice back splash as well, coordinating with the mirrors or glass. Also, some pretty and useful
Accessories on the counter. A pretty planter with a low light plant or vase with flowers?
If you want to make it more impressive, maybe a more designer faucet would give it a boost.
September 11, 2013 at 2:02PM   
rupert2002
Also, painting the wall a soft color and hanging a piece of artwork with those colors in it could make a statement. You could put custom spice racks on the wall which would be decorative and useful in a small galley kitchen. I have beautiful brushed stainless steel handcrafted ones with a fluted edge in my galley kitchen on the wall. The spice bottles add color and it is practical,and functional as well!
September 11, 2013 at 2:14PM   
PatioProductions
Painting just the upper cabinets would go a long way like in the Toronto Kitchen Katheryn submitted above. However I would first start with the cheap fun things. Paint the inside of the cabinets that have no doors a fun green then buy some nice white dishes and display them here. Hide the food in cabinets with doors. Nice dishes can really make a kitchen feel like home! Then change out the runner on the floor to something fun and finally get some nice wooden utensil holders to place on the counter and get some wooden kitchen spoons and a funky whisk : )

My guess is that if you went on a shopping spree at west elm, Ikea, target and bought a bunch of inspiring kitchen utensils and decorations and 1 bucket of paint and you would be happy with your kitchen again.

Remodeling is drag... trust me. 1 weekend shopping is a blast!
September 11, 2013 at 2:17PM     
Sam Joefunkie
Hi, here some small tips. You should stick with 2 colors max 3. Your flooring looks good. So try to change d cabinet color to lighter colors e.g peach or white. So your table top will remain Black, so it can contrast with your cabinet. Your back wall above the table top try to change to lighter same as cabinet color. Below your top cabinet, try to fix light so it will brighten your table top. Now your cooking stove is above d table top. Try to build in your stove on your table top and clear your table top. So ur kitchen will look tidy and bright.
September 12, 2013 at 9:21AM   
SCHARLY DESIGNER STUDIO, Inc
I thing a flooring and light job, will be the first things to do..
September 16, 2013 at 1:43PM   
Sue Jackson
Would vinyl plank flooring look right in a kitchen and adjoining bedroom?
September 25, 2013 at 6:23PM   
Need help for my kitchen (my dad's kitchen)
So want to get a kitchen renovation.. What colour do...
What doesn't need help?! My bathrooms, my kitchen, my laundry room.
My house is from 1979 and it totally looks it. We've...
Need help with my backsplash in my kitchen.
I have flat paneled Benjamin Moore "Chantilly Lace"...
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
the window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
What to do w this front door?
Our door has three square panels and it feels like...
Home sick in Louisiana
All I see is brown stain - I have many questions re:...
Need advice for hanging shelves
I'm creating a coffee station in our hallway. it is...
Minimum space requirements
Outdoor, attached, veranda with built-in kitchen (grille,...
What shall I do with my backyard?
Dear Houzzers, I really appreciate your valuable...