Decorating help please!
elw4797
I've posted pictures of this room before, but I need some fresh decorating ideas! This front room, or sitting room, is the ugly step sister of my house. I am 80% there with redecorating, but I need some ideas to help me complete it.

This furniture arrangement seems to work best - I have tried every combo possible. This is a room just off the front door, one you walk through to get to the living room and kitchen. So the fourth wall is unusable space and backs to the staircase.

The paint, curtains, wall art and wood furniture are all new, I just struggle getting them to mesh. The sofa has to stay.

Grandma's chair goes and I'd like to replace it with a new chair and ottoman. Or should I put two ottomans side by side like where the coffee table would be? Or should I get a fabric tufted over sized ottoman?

This room needs some curves. Any ideas? Is the round side table too big? Should I paint the lamp pole and/or shade? Should I put anything under the double mirrors?

I also need a new light fixture for this room. This is what hangs above the kitchen table in the neighboring room, and I want to stick with a similar style (though it would need to be a flush mount or semi flush mount).

Any suggestions or inspiration pictures? This room has been a long work in progress and I'd love to wrap it up!
abbyjean
I remember this room and I KNOW how hard you are working on it. I like what you have done. Just one thing pops out at me right now.........the direction the chair is facing. What is it looking at? Shouldn't it turn and face the couch.......moved just to the edge of the curtain, where it meets the sheers?
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 10:46AM
abbyjean
Does a sitting room NEED an ottoman for feet up, or is this a room to sit and visit and watch the kids play? Maybe a storage ottoman would work in here?

No pic of light attached?

The floor lamp appears to be in the corner.......move it closer to the couch so it can truly be used.....but then also notice how there is a lamp on the console right there, too. Hmmm......two lamps on one side and nothing on the other.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 10:47AM
elw4797
Oops here is the light fixture that's over the kitchen table in the neighboring room...

Good points!! I'll turn the chair to face the sofa (as opposed to the front entry and staircase). I feel like the center of the room is empty, so maybe an ottoman would help? I'd prefer an ottoman over a coffee table because I have little ones.

And yes two lights in one side looks dumb. And the round side table has too small of things. Can you tell I'm not good at scale? :)

I also toyed with the idea of an area rug but the ladies at Pottery Barn said it might be difficult to have an area rug on top of frieze carpet.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:20AM
elw4797
I mentioned above that Grandma's chair is going bye bye and I'd like to get a new chair, possibly with an ottoman. Would this be too big or too blue?
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:22AM
abbyjean
Never too blue, as blue is your color in there and I love it! The art there is great!!!

If you get an ottoman for the chair, then no coffee table or anything in front of the couch, as there will not be room for it and the kids need a place to be on the floor, too. I actually like the idea of an ottoman for the chair.....cozy place by the window!!! Story time!!!
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:25AM
elw4797
Do you really like the wall art because I was just debating if I like it and wondering if Pier 1 would return it without a reciept. Is it too "cosmo" for the Pottery Barn feel I'm trying to get?

What should I do RE the lamps and empty round table?
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:43AM
abbyjean
Look at the art in the pic you posted and see how all the colors in your room are in that piece. THAT ties your room all together. And that is also why I think the floor lamp works.....just needs to be moved.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:47AM
abbyjean
I hate to mess up the console as you have it arranged soooooo well, but could you try the lamp on the table? The floor lamp cannot move, so the lamp would be the one for the table. I like like like the birds and the books there, so hopefully the lamp will fit/work with them.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:48AM
Nancy Walton
I don't think the round table is too big, but I would put the glass lamp on that instead of the sideboard (give that corner some elevation). You could paint the floor lamp in a blue color pulled from the artwork, with a white shade. The Pier 1 chair would look nice.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 11:53AM
Nancy Walton
I think you could put an area rug on top of the carpet...
0 Likes   Thanked by elw4797    September 11, 2013 at 11:56AM
elw4797
Focusing in on the lamps, besides moving them should I paint the floor lampbor get a new shade. This article was interesting.

0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 12:42PM
abbyjean
Can you switch the shades on the lamps in the room right now just to see what a white one on the floor lamp would look like?
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 12:45PM
Have you tried the chest under the painting and the sofa where the chest is? The round table is a bit overscale and formal. Should just meet or slightly exceed the height of the arm it is with. Looks like it came with Grandma's chair.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 12:59PM
elw4797
I tured the chair to face toward the sofa, moved the lamp from the dresser to the round side table, switched shades and here are a few more pictures...
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 1:05PM
abbyjean
OH! Guess what! I love that lamp there and I love that shade on it! It works with the curtains! And everything got to stay. WIN WIN!!!
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 1:08PM
elw4797
"Have you tried the chest under the painting and the sofa where the chest is? The round table is a bit overscale and formal. Should just meet or slightly exceed the height of the arm it is with. Looks like it came with Grandma's chair."

This is a good idea... In the past I have tried this. The sofa will fit against the other wall, however the white dresser isn't as wide and doesn't quite fill the space if I move it under the wall art. What would I put on either side of it?

Does the side table really not "go?" It looks grandmaish?! I got it on Craigs List for $40.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 1:37PM
elw4797
I'm open to buying new things. I just need ideas.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 1:38PM
Try the round table and lamp at the stairwell wall unless they block traffic flow too badly. If that is your 4th wall, why is it white?
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 2:04PM
I think the round table will be great as a table with the new chair - the chair is lonely for it.

I remember that you don't have room in the hall for the sideboard to go on the wall under the stair - or you love it best and feel it won't be a part of the room there, where I think it finishes out the room there or then you feel this room is too empty. I'm still about the sideboard on the hall wall under the stair, a big chair and ottoman katycorner opposite the round table on the back wall angle facing the window and sofa, and an upolstered bench that can sit under the window 90% of time, but get pulled out with a tray when grownups come. I don't think the pier one chair is bad, and I know the price is right, but I think you need a mid-tone color here - a lagoon blue like the stripe in the art to bridge the white piece and the dark sofa or an aqua. I'm concerned this will read too light and then the sofa keeps being the only dark thing in the room.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 2:08PM
elw4797
What if I get a new sofa? Just went window shopping!
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 3:50PM
Nancy Walton
I like the sofa on the right--for $799 is a bargain! That sofa is more formal than the leather one, may be more suitable for a front sitting room.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:02PM
leelee
How about painting the white chest a darker version of the room color sort of aqua/bluish? It would not stand out so much.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:06PM
Handsome helpmate there! You'll still want a great chair and ottoman, so use what you have - see below for how to buiild on it .. .

What do you think about this performance velvet chair http://www.westelm.com/products/paidge-chair-h215/?pkey=cchairs-ottomans&cm_src=chairs-ottomans||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
stocked in lagoon . . .

Another options would be to have an upholstery house make you a slipcover for the leather with natural linen. This would add up to a lot less than a new sofa, and you would be able to change it up for seasons.

Chair in lagoon would be great with the leather, also great with the linen . . . .or do a slipcover chair and ottoman from PB that you can add a new slipcover in future.

Sofa on the right would be great - neutral so you can change color story / add to it at holidays, terrific with the white sideboard, blue chair. You probably don't want a print sofa, since it limits you longer than the print will be fresh. Your leather is a quality piece and it is about to be fall - I say - go for a bolder / more posh accent chair -

you might consider what shifting the wall tone with just one coat to a more muted shade of blue with a touch of green in it - like ben moores http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/palladianblue or http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/heavenlyblue heavenly blue or sw quietude walls. That will help the leather seem more at home and improve the white piece too -
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:26PM
elw4797
Here's another one. And a cute chair if I got it in a different fabric.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:28PM
Nancy Walton
That chair is very similar to the one you have now--except for the channel tufting. You might want to have an upholsterer give you an estimate on restyling it (adding a cushion, removing the channel tufting, etc.). That gives you a much wider range of choices re: fabric. You would be amazed at what a good upholsterer can do...

Besides, the frame on the one you have is probably far superior to new.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:48PM
As long as the white dresser is 25% wider than the painting it will work. You can fill in with plants, floor lamp, etc. Would love to see you try this and put the round table at the stairwell - just for fun! Might get some more input by changing things up a bit!
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:48PM
Nancy Walton
I'm a great believer in recycling, I used to do upholstery myself.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 4:49PM
elw4797
The white dresser does not work on the stsircase wall! Just tried.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 5:33PM
abbyjean
OK, I am going to be your mother here and tell you to be happy with what you have and make it work in your home, which it does. Get out of the furniture stores and do not spend money you do not have to spend on this room. I remember those comments from your post before and seriously.......the brown couch is great with blue and brown leather is perfect for kids!!! I will let you shop for a chair and ottoman and call it good.

Ever think about getting out the window pane from the room before that I loved so much on that dresser????
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 5:58PM
pollmer
I like the art above the couch and the round table. Maybe you could paint the white wall and/or add a large piece of canvas art or a rug on the wall so it's not so bare.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 5:58PM
bevhugs
I like the furniture you own. I think your room just needs a little accessorizing. You need to spread the colors around the room more evenly. The only items you might want to buy is a table or a rug to balance the room. In the pic see how I just added the same pillows to the other side of couch because the contrast of white on brown was harsh, added picture frames that matched side chair, matched lamp shades and moved to empty spot by couch, and the dark wall hanging adds contrast to that side of room.
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 8:26PM
Oooh - i like the idea about changing the upholstery on your chair - the only reason to lose the channel tufting is to harmonize it with the style of the brown - take the photo from above to the upholstery guy if you want to change it. The dark wood on that chair makes it ideal because it ties it back to the leather sofa (and much nicer) . You could put one fabric on the back and another on the front - mixing prints would be delightful and help tie all the elements together.

Look at these options I found for you to consider for print layering:
front of chair - this is the right blue for your current wall color / art http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/aqua+and+teal+fabric/sensuede+blue+grey.do very durable/ nearly scrubable
or velvet http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/aqua+and+teal+fabric/banks+-+velvet+shale.do
back of chair & ottoman (this way you can "find" the right ottoman at home goods / overstock for less and add a tailored skirt that makes them look like they were a match http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/aqua+and+teal+fabric/farhi+-+robert+allen+fabrics+jade.do
see how it ties all the warm straw tones with the blue like your art?

Check out this print to marry blue , white, tan/straw tones
good for pillows for sofa (maybe back these in the cedar sensuede so they don't slide down/ off) - the white blossoms tie back to the wood piece http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/aqua+and+teal+fabric/cherry+blossoms+ming.do

These tones look perfect with your drapery fabric colors - http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+fabrics+by+color/aqua+and+teal+fabric/olmstead+seaglass.do

Maybe one or more of these fabrics will work for you . . .bless you - it was fun shopping around with these ideas.
0 Likes   September 11, 2013 at 9:48PM
abbyjean
GREAT idea to bring in more of the darker brown........love that on the white and on the wall. You could even paint that window frame you might still have.
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 6:35AM
elw4797
I have another question as I walk through the long journey of redecorating. I am going to get a new sofa, ottoman and accent chair. I have my eye on the Henry sofa and Essex tufted ottoman from West Elm. I'm not sure what color of sofa would look nice in this room and with my curtains. I can't do lagoon. How about their performance velvet in "dove gray?" I always tend to go cream, beige, tan or brown so gray is new to me. And velvet!! This is going outside my comfort zone.

If I did a sofa in gray, would I get the ottoman to match (same color AND material)? Then what color of accent chair? I'm scared to get a pattern because the chair will be in front of the window and I don't want it to clash.

http://www.westelm.com/m/products/henry-sofa-g178/?pkey=caffordable-sofas
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 9:14PM
Nancy Walton
Is the ottoman going to be your coffee table? If so, I would go for a tufted leather in a contrasting color, either a charcoal gray or black. I really like the sofa, a timeless classic. For chairs you might consider a pattern with the same blue in it, to tie everything together.
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 10:42PM
edithsmom
Sorry, elw, but why do you want this front room to look like a catalog page when you have put your effort into this room and you have made it lovely and very comfortable? Why not just get the chair you wanted (or re-upholster the older, well-made chair as Grover suggested). Mothers have been known to give good advice and abbyjean gave you hers.
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 7:47AM
edithsmom
Sorry, Nancy Walton, I mistook your good advice for groveraxle's
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 7:49AM
Help Me Please!!!! Need help decorating my Family Room
I have the ugliest Olive green sofas in my Family Room....
I need help decorating my house, can you please help me?
Please help me decorate my house. Thank you
I've hit a roadblock on decorating...Please Help
I have decided on the color scheme I like. Which took...
need paint advice for family room
im so confused! i want my house to flow but the lighting...
Dining room dilemma What do I do?
What is this room missing? Do I keep buffet lamps?...
salvage wood flooring in 1932 home
Most of my floors are wood, I already refinished the...
Why won't they ship to Alaska?
So I found the perfect saddle stools from you guys...
Eeek! Our architect is going to kill us! Kitchen Design Help Pls
We are in the planning stages of "Phase 2" of our gut...