Fireplace frustration
raycorado
Hi all,

We just purchased a bigger sofa and now want to mount our TV over the fireplace.

Budget: $300

I have 2 options:

1. Add wooden mantle over brick deep enough for TV & audio/cable boxes. Place directly ok mantle. Paint brick possibly?

2. Paint the chimney (what color?), then swivel mount the TV on chimney. I will not be able to pass the cables through the brick, so will need to run along side the bricks. I will be adding a back less shelf in front of the window so can have the audio and cable boxes.

The kitchen is the color Peppery from SW and Living area, Tan forgot exact color. I was originally thinking to paint the back area above the mantle a dark brown. However wouldnt mind considering a color to make it pop.

Thoughts? Past experiences? Color ideas?

Thanks!!
Doubtful in Dallas
Brenda
you may want to consider RF remotes -- takes the placement of the components out of the equation.
September 11, 2013 at 12:10PM     
Sustainable Dwellings
Yikes, I would paint that brick, add a mantle, mount the TV, and rid those window treatments.
September 11, 2013 at 12:14PM     
DMH DESIGN
Ray, consider suspending from the ceiling against the brick. Likely cheaper and less techical than trying to roto hammer a wood mantel into brick. You may have to hang it from a decorative piece of wood, that is screwed into ceiling joists, in terms of proper alignment/centering where no framing aligns in the ceiling? Verify if it can work prior to purchase. An option for you in any case. Happy Houzzing.
September 11, 2013 at 12:26PM     
raycorado
Thanks for the comments all. I will see what I can do.
September 14, 2013 at 10:24AM   
erinsean
I think you should remove the things above the sliding door....too distracting. I am not liking the gold paint either but can't see all the room. Do not like TV's above fireplace but in your case, putting a small mantel on and using the suspended bracket for your TV may be the way to go. What is on the wall facing the fireplace....do I see another chair there? Would your TV work on that wall?
September 14, 2013 at 12:48PM     
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Kitchen remodel frustration
I am doing a full remodel of a kitchen and adding a...
Purple Couch Frustrations
We just purchased and remodeled our first house. We...
Owner builder training saved me money and frustration
A friend of the family shared a story with me about...
Livingroom arrangement
We just bought this house and need help on the livingroom....
TACKY PANTRY DOOR
Previous owners took down the other standard door...
Help for small garden at front of house!
Hey everyone! I am having my garden area taken out...
What to do with my entry way??
I need something for kids to hang their backbacks,...
Can't find a blue-grey soapstone or slate for kitchen countertops.
Building a cottage in Maine. Has anyone seen blue-grey...