Need help arranging furniture/decorting living room
newcomla
September 11, 2013
My husband and I purchased a sofa with chaise, two swivel chairs, a coffee table, and a rug. I think we messed up. We're open to returning the coffee table and exchanging the rug for a larger one. Any tips on how to make this room look pulled together? What other furniture/accessories should we add? We have a bar cabinet and fireplace are just beyond where the rug ends.

Aggie dba Aggie Designs
I like what you purchased. Keep it. Put the sofa on the other wall, put a floor lamp in the corner by the chase, and use the coffee table as an end table at the right end of the sofa. Get a large square ottoman and a two wooden trays (to match the coffee table), put it in center. Get another large chair more similar in shape to the sofa and put it where the chaise is now with a end table and a lamp. The two swivel chairs can face this whole arrangement with another small end table in between them.

Get pillows (2 small ones for swivel chairs), 4 for the sofa, 2 for the new chair, and a throw (s), Accessorize with coffee table books, candles, and a potted...drumroll...orchid.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 2:53PM
abbyjean
I love what you bought and that the chairs are swivel. I am wondering if you should switch directions with the rug so it does not just shoot straight out. Try to get the front feet of the chairs on it, too......hope it works with the direction switched for the chairs to both be on it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by newcomla    September 11, 2013 at 3:13PM
abbyjean
Now you need accent colors......how about a teal and coral for pillows and a throw???
1 Like    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 3:15PM
abbyjean
Maybe a table between the chairs for a glass/cup/book. Round table. Those were good suggestions. And yes, a lamp, too, somewhere in this arrangement.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 3:16PM
LB Interiors
I think your sofa and chairs are great!. I would return the rug for same size or a bit larger but, one that is patterned with your favorite colors. Use the rug for inspiration for all the pillows, accessories and window treatments. Place the rug with the long side at the sofa.
Some ideas
Portera- (PRT-1011)
Carpets and Rugs
Multi
Loloi Willow WW-04 7'10" x 11' Ivory Rug
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 3:28PM
LB Interiors
I think a glass and chrome or silver coffee table and much larger would be nice.

3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by newcomla    September 11, 2013 at 3:29PM
LB Interiors
An end table between the two chairs

2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by newcomla    September 11, 2013 at 3:41PM
leelee
Good basics. Yes, the rug needs to be bigger and don't be afraid of "a little" color and pattern. I wouldn't go too wild--keep it classic and timeless.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 3:52PM
Marilyn Cameron
I totally agree with 1st.comment.Switch couch to other window.
    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 3:57PM
Nicole Lee
yes, switch the couch to the other wall. keep the furniture! it looks great! maybe a little table for in between the two swivel chairs and then add a throw and some accent pillows for drama and some color.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 4:09PM
LB Interiors
I would keep the sofa in original photo placement. I think you would like the main piece of furniture to face the fireplace. I don't think the sofa on the larger window wall will be centered enough and allow enough space to position chairs correctly on the other window wall. The alcove is not wide enough. The sofa in the alcove would look and feel cramped. I think. MO
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newcomla    September 11, 2013 at 4:23PM
I agree with LB- the rug you chose is a snore:) get something with a pattern and some color. The room needs some life.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 4:52PM
Sustainable Dwellings
Love those rugs LB interiors! I also like your sofa/chaise. I would select another coffee table.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 4:56PM
LB Interiors
Thanks guys :)
    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 5:35PM
Gretchen Maurer
try the chaise on the other side hugging the wall and moving the swivel chairs on the end or other side but yes feet on the rug....color or pattern is needed for sure, accessories, pillows floor lamp (down light) since there are so many wonderful windows and less room for art you need a punch in the rug and pillows, table runner, center piece, glass vase beside the fire box on the tile........
    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 5:57PM
Gretchen Maurer
My back ground is beauty and fashion....look in your closet what colors and texture jump out? there's your start
    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 5:59PM
alevis
What a fun room to play with great space and love the windows. Furniture is great it just seems unfinished needs pillows.
Get a bigger rug. i like a rug that grounds a space with borders of black or red maybe? and with some color pattern. Then go with those rug colors to get pillows. Oh and its always good to use two same then one different pillow three total. I'd add a tall chrome light in the corner next to the couch. A small chrome table like this one( see picture) I'd put a book on that table maybe a small plant. I like your coffee table but I think it's shape is wrong for the space. Maybe a round glass would be nice. If you don't have accessories I've always found magazines placed on a coffee table stacked like a fan or just like steps looks great and adds interest. Maybe you have a coffee table book? Again but three of something on the table. Grouping of three. Great room
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newcomla    September 11, 2013 at 7:07PM
sunnydrew
Have you tried this: Turn the rug direction, leave the sofa as is, put the 2 swivel chairs opposite the main part of the sofa or L- shaped in corner diagonally across from chaise end of sofa. The wooden curved coffee table is nice, but get something else to use in between the 2 chairs. try to get at least the front legs of all on the rug or get a bigger rug. As other have said- add some color and accessories. It looks like a comfortable space.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newcomla    September 11, 2013 at 7:28PM
Find a rug you love that has pattern and color - it will be fine.
    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 8:40PM
panazza1
1. Get a wider rug. Add contrast. Like a white & blue pattern rug.

2. The chairs should be 2 legs on rug and the other 2 on wood floor.
    Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 10:12PM
newcomla
Thanks everyone!! We switched the rug the other direction (works much better) and will be returning the coffee table for a large square table. We've also decided on two end tables (one square in the corner of the room, one small round metal table between the swivel chairs) We will be purchasing some colorful accent pillows, a lamp for the corner table, and some accessories to liven things up a bit.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:36AM
abbyjean
Sounds wonderful! I would love to see the room when you are done......playing! You have the fun stuff to do now.
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:47AM
LB Interiors
Anxious to see your new finds! Happy shopping!
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:34AM
newcomla
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:08AM
Rachel @ Ethan Allen
Window treatments need to be more impactive. People are always over looking that opportunity for them being a design element.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:14AM
abbyjean
Thanks for sharing. Enjoy! I know I would as it is just lovely!
    Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:15AM
need help decorting/paint ideas for my new living room
help me place my furniture~ couch,loveseat,2 chairs,...
angiepar14
Need help with living room furniture arrangement
The living room is 18' x 20'. I have attached a copy...
Nadine Gendron
Nadine Gendron
Need help arranging living room furniture
I have a 13 x 21 foot living room Dining room at...
gkmu
Need Help With Living Room: Colors, Windows and Furniture Arrangement
I have a living room that is 17L x 13W. Ceilings are...
Ruth
tub/shower
Should I use Kerdi membrane or Redguard between cultured...
xjbrian1
Help with kitchen rug and drapes to coordinate with family room
You were all so kind to help me with my family room,...
nikkiwit
Modern Linear Fireplace Manufacturer
Does anyone know which one Spark or Heat & Glo is best? There...
lovedesign2
Need help for my family room
I intended to put hardwood floor from entrance throughout...
wenlee1612
Do these pillows match??
Help! I'm not good with matching. Do these yellow pillows...
schillinger