Looking for opinions and/or options for this wall display.
Barbie
Should I hang something on both sides of the shelf display? I was thinking it looked ok until I saw this picture and now I am thinking it doesn't look complete. Thoughts?
It would be better if we could see the whole wall;)
   Thanked by Barbie    September 11, 2013 at 10:00PM
Barbie
I will try to take another picture tomorrow in the daylight. My camera has a fixed lens and I can't get much in the frame! But maybe I can try with my cell phone.
1 Like   September 11, 2013 at 10:02PM
Angelina Vick
What you have going on with the shelf is cool but a little cluttered. I like it...however, I think if you add more to the wall above the couches...it's going to start looking messy.

Unless you took the frames off...and put them on either side...putting some dominant piece of art or photograph in the center of the grouping to sit on the shelf.

I like it the way it is. I would leave it.
You could bring in red to the top by changing the candle color. It would tie it to the couch more.
   Thanked by Barbie    September 11, 2013 at 10:24PM
Barbie
Here are a couple more views of the room. I am just not able to get one large shot of the room unless I use my cell phone and then the images are dark.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 12:04PM
Angelina Vick
Could show pictures of the rest of the space...to see how this wall relates to the whole room?
   September 12, 2013 at 12:04PM
Barbie
I have also ordered a rug for the room, I will add it here. I was wondering about curtains though. Right now I have very neutral curtains, basically the same color as the paint. But was thinking about adding a pattern. What do you think of these?
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 12:06PM
abbyjean
Ya know what.......I LOVE THIS WHOLE WALL! Add nothing and take away nothing. PERFECT! It has such a cottagy feel or soemthing and the simplicity is what makes it work.
3 Likes   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 12:07PM
anne dee
when someone stands up from sitting on the sofa will they hit their head on that shelf?
It's an OK setting but not for over the sofa. IMO
4 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 12:09PM
Barbie
Angela, here are a couple of other angles. I have turned our 'formal' dining room into an office. Just starting that project though. And the other angle is the front window, which needs something as well. Open to ideas!
   September 12, 2013 at 12:10PM
Thanks for posting bigger wall photo. I think I would leave it just the way you have it. Looks great;)
2 Likes   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 12:10PM
Barbie
Anne Dee... no thankfully! My husband and sons are 6'3" and there haven't been any issues YET.
   September 12, 2013 at 12:11PM
Well, anne dee has a good point about someones head hitting the shelf. Have you thought about that?
   September 12, 2013 at 12:12PM
Never mind, you just answered;)
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 12:12PM
Barbie
Margo and abbyjean... what about the curtains? Should I leave them neutral or try the patterned ones?
   September 12, 2013 at 12:12PM
anne dee
if you have ample room pics that pick up the color in your throw cushions

1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 12:14PM
Barbie
And what about the office wall? Any ideas on how to help the transition between the living room and office?
   September 12, 2013 at 12:14PM
I will leave curtains to abbyjean, I am curtain challenged. LOL BUT, I do think a sea grass wallpaper would look great above the chair rail in the office/dining area;)
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 12:16PM
abbyjean
Thanks, Margo......I was going to defer to you! BUT my thoughts are this, and just thoughts.......sometimes I might suggest curtains to add pattern to the room, but when I look at your couch, you have pattern with those pillows. And the curtains you have now do not fight with those......they are the silent person in the room, smiling and nodding and that is still a good thing.
1 Like   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 12:18PM
The good news about curtains if you buy them local. Try and if you don't like, return.
   September 12, 2013 at 12:19PM
Barbie
Margo I love that idea! I was thinking about planking the whole wall but the seagrass idea is really good!
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 12:19PM
I can see it;))))
   September 12, 2013 at 12:20PM
abbyjean
And those curtains look sooooo nice with the paint and the table right there, too. Whew......I am a nervous wreck!
   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 12:20PM
Barbie- what is this *planking*? I have never heard of it?
   September 12, 2013 at 12:21PM
abbyjean
Seagrass........that is good......great transition as it would make that space different, but still not fight......like some posters on here!
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 12:22PM
abbyjean
Know what......I see curtains in the office area......THOSE I might agree to being different and more fun to keep you awake while working. THAT would also help make it its own room. Any other colors being used in this room?
   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 12:23PM
abbyjean
Just wondering about the window and the chair and the table........shouldn't/couldn't the chair angle toward the couch with the table on the other side of it? More toward where the black chair is? I am not crazy about the black chair there. Do I see two in this area???? Black chairs? So another thought would be to put the two black chairs together by the window with the table between them and then the larger white chair over by the office area.....it is ok if it blocks that opening a bit.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 12:24PM
Barbie
abbyjean, the reason the white chair is facing that direction is because we use a tv in here. It is mostly a back up tv but we have a large family so we need lots of seating. :-) Here is a picture to what the chair is facing. I do not like what I have over here. I love the cabinet because it hides the tv but do not like whats on it. Also, the chairs are a dark brown wicker. I would love to replace them with something but can't right now. I am hoping once my jute rug gets here that they look better.
   September 12, 2013 at 2:16PM
Barbie
Margo... here is an image of planked walls. I love them but it's pretty permanent so I need to be sure.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 2:18PM
I like the curtains you have now. I would like to see a full pair on each window, hung higher and wider. The fabric will fill in that space on either side of the shelf that look a little bare to you.

Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 2:19PM
Barbie
iplay10s... so you mean adding more curtain panels so there is one on each side of the window?
   September 12, 2013 at 2:24PM
Genevieve
Empty frames are just that, looking trough them onto a colourless wall wont do it , you need to add a bit of liveliness to the room .

Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 2:30PM
Barbie
iplay10s... I moved both panels to one window. Which way does everyone like better?
   September 12, 2013 at 2:36PM
Genevieve
2 panels but I like the blue one best

September 12, 2013 at 2:39PM
Barbie
Genevieve... these are old window frames. Any ideas on what to do with them? I know my style is very neutral but I try to do a lot with texture. BUT I am trying to implement more color, it's hard for me :-) I do have an empty frame in the office area but can't decide what to do with it for sure, still working on the office and am open to ideas. I do have an World Map I want to use, I think you can see that in one of the above photos.
   September 12, 2013 at 3:05PM
Barbie
abbyjean or anyone ;-) I took the curtains from my family room and added them to the office. Yay or nay? Of course I wouldn't use the old and new curtains, was just too lazy to take down the old ones.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 3:46PM
abbyjean
I am giving them a yay........three reasons..........love the pop of color........love them with the rug........and love them with the map as they pull colors from each other.
   September 12, 2013 at 3:57PM
abbyjean
OK......make it four reasons as I am looking at the floor and see the same colors in the floor right there, too. Now I realize there is no white for the trim and that is ok. The wall color is a shade of the background color. What fun to have already had them in your home! That might be reason number five. We are getting close to Letterman!!!
   September 12, 2013 at 3:58PM
leelee
I think it looks good but you could add a slender plaque under the shelf to give it the illusion of being lower. Something like this or similar...
   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 4:01PM
Genevieve
Is there a glass in them ?

if yes that would save you some money if not have some glass and mirrors put in and use them as picture frames http://cdn.decoist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/DIY-art-upcycled-windows-frames.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qRiuGnzwlL0/UXYBM0CvAaI/AAAAAAAABfU/ArB2OF5W7Ao/s1600/mirror1.jpg
   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 4:22PM
Barbie
abbyjean... you are cracking me up. :-) The only downfall is now I have to replace the family room curtains. haha
   September 12, 2013 at 4:54PM
Barbie- thanks for showing me the planking. I have mixed feelings about it, as it looks to much like outdoor siding. Seems cold. I also *hanging head* am not liking the curtains with the rug or the map. I feel bad going against abbyjean, so, looks like you will have to break the tie:)
1 Like   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 7:23PM
karemore55
Barging in here - those curtains do look good with the rug, but not sure if this is what you would want in a den. What about something in a solid, and pull a color from the rug - olive green, for example?
1 Like   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 7:35PM
karemore55
I also love the blue and white curtains you are thinking of getting. They seem to pull the room together, especially picking up on the pillow colors.
1 Like   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 7:37PM
Angelina Vick
Good that you posted more pictures! Getting a complete view of the room changes everything. I see great ideas going here.
   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 7:46PM
Barbie
I think I might keep these curtains in the family room until I come up with a plan for the office. I really like them where I had them and I do worry it might just be too much especially being next to the living room which is quite simple. Now to come up with that plan. You all have such great ideas... now I need to make decisions. ;-)
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 8:12PM
Angelina Vick
Ya, that is the hard part.

Go little by little. Less regrets than a bunch of huge changes and shock.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 8:39PM
Barbie
I do have to chuckle though because my living room curtains that everyone loves are actually painters drop cloths. ;-)
   September 12, 2013 at 8:51PM
That's the way things go. I find a treasure at a garage sale and everyone raves, I spend the big bucks on something else and no one notices. I bet more people will now be shopping the paint store for their drapes:)
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 8:55PM
You know now that you told us they are drop cloths, I wonder how they might looks with some hand selected paint purposely spattered on them? hmmmm...
   September 12, 2013 at 8:57PM
Barbie
Do you remember the splattering rage a few years back? It was the thing to do for kids bedrooms. Oh my.
   September 12, 2013 at 9:15PM
abbyjean
Drop cloths! Note to self on that one! Love it!!!
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 9:30PM
milena2161
A collage of different art picture in any type of frame and size.
   September 12, 2013 at 9:34PM
DishonDesignGal
Barbie, I love your arrangement and really love the pair of drapes versus one. I'm thinking that you could even extend your rod so it's about 4 inches past the frame if possible. I love the neutral drapes, but would also really like a simple pattern like the one you showed - I think that's totally up to you. I love the idea of a saying or words underneath the shelf - either in wood or vinyl on the wall. One thing to think about... and is my first thought was that I would feel like that shelf would fall on my head when sitting there. I'm thinking it's because of the dark color. I would maybe consider painting it a distressed creamy white so it didn't feel so heavy above the head? I do love the pop of black, but the M does that as well. Just a thought!
2 Likes   Thanked by Barbie    September 12, 2013 at 10:04PM
Need opinion on how to maximize and/or create seating for bar/lounge a
The size of the space is 86" wide by 15'. The fireplace...
Opinions sought: Pendant and/or rope lighting for great room
We have a contemporary, octagon-shaped country home...
Need opinions and/or recommendations on cork flooring.
I would like to install cork flooring in a connected...
looking to update my bathrooms and/or laundry room
I recently had a half reno of my full and half bath...
Seeking rustic conversion
Hello. My wife and I are buying our next home. We...
Need help with living room - bookcases and fireplace
Hi, All Could use your advice on built in bookcases...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Experienced dog owners,please help !
We got a puppy ,she is 4 months old now and my life...
Bedrooms
Bedrooms have large flaring up to in there?