Advice on dining room benches
atrosas
I'm considering buying a dining room set with a bench. Can somebody give me some insights as to how much you love/hate it after a couple of years? Thanks!
Homescapes Europa Ltd
I think going in for dining room bench is a great idea. I have been using it for couple of months and find it a very handy piece of furniture. Few days back we had a garden party and as the guests were more than our expectation we moved this bench out in the garden and it was easy to adjust the dinners on that.
September 12, 2013 at 12:15am     
atrosas
Thank you! It seems like it would be handy and I have two young boys who would probably use the table if it had the bench.
September 12, 2013 at 12:23am   
atrosas
*use the table more lol
September 12, 2013 at 12:24am   
unwantedadvice
Now that I read that you have two boys, I think a bench would be fun for them! I do feel that tables with benches are geared more towards young families. Plus you can push the bench in when not in use if you need to. :)
September 12, 2013 at 12:31am   
atrosas
Very true! Yes-I'm definitely leaning more towards the bench! I feel the bench also helps in a buffet type setting where people can serve themselves snacks without the backs of the chairs getting in the way ( on one side at least )
September 12, 2013 at 12:35am   
jengregory
I have a table in my breakfast nook with a bench on one side and I love it! I can get three of my young grand kids in a space where I could put just two in chairs. I also like that I can push the bench farther under the table to safe space.
September 12, 2013 at 1:14am   
My experience is that a bench certainly has great pros (as outlined by commenters above) but the cons are that it can be back breaking for an adult - older person for a long meal. Worth considering placing the bench against a wall if ever, or at least allowing for that possibility.

Another pro is that they allow one to shake up the typical visual set up of a dining table by varying chair height and bench - which is a fun element in design these days.
September 12, 2013 at 1:16am     
unwantedadvice
I agree about benches not being too practical for adults. Everyone has to stand up and move if someone needs to get up! Same applies with an armless settee. While they look nice, I can see the cons for adults. Better left for agile kids!
September 12, 2013 at 1:28am     
atrosas
I agree! We are moving to be closer to my parents so I want them to be comfortable, but my mom is concerned about the lack of support with the bench. My young boys want the bench so I feel torn. I'm leaning more towards purchasing the bench, but I don't want to regret it and end up getting a new dining room set in a year or so.
September 15, 2013 at 3:58pm   
atrosas
Here are the two tables...the first has no bench and the second has an extra long 84" bench where 3-4 kids could fit...that's my son in the pic and he is 5'3" so the table is a great size! I love the chairs in the first table though...kind of medieval-ish :)
September 15, 2013 at 4:07pm   
unwantedadvice
I like both tables! I had a whole comment ready to submit but chickened-out because I brought up a safety issue. Now here you are posting a pic of a longer bench and more kids on it!!! I really think either would be okay, that one grandma loads three kids on hers!! :)
September 15, 2013 at 4:37pm     
jengregory
I guess I am 'that one grandma' and I don't 'load' the children on the bench as much as seat 3 toddlers comfortably and happily.
September 15, 2013 at 5:16pm     
bmwray
I used to have 2 benches with my kitchen table when my boys were little and I loved it. We never had any issues with safety. They were very flexible in terms of accommodating extra company and one often got moved into the dining room for holiday meals. The only downfall, as stated before, is the comfort level for long meals. It never seemed to bother my kids. Then again, they would get excused from the table a bit earlier than the rest of us adults who hung around chatting.
September 15, 2013 at 5:28pm     
unwantedadvice
Ouch!! I guess I had that one coming. Open mouth, insert foot. jangregory, no disrespect, was joking about it being like an assembly line in my mind.
September 15, 2013 at 5:40pm   
unwantedadvice
Oops, jengregory!
September 15, 2013 at 5:41pm   
atrosas
I think the bench is the way to go by all the input here! I'm going to go tomorrow to see if I can find chairs that I like better--I'll keep you posted!
September 15, 2013 at 5:42pm   
unwantedadvice
atrosas, thanks for the update. I am glad I didn't scare you off!
September 15, 2013 at 5:47pm   
Advice for a height of kitchen/dining room/living room
I need your opinion for the height of our living room...
Need some advice for the Kitchen, Great Room and Dining Room
I am re-doing the Kitchen and Dining Room. I welcome...
Dining room color advice
Can anyone give me some Sherwin Williams color suggestions...
Need picture advice for dining room
Are the 2 gold pictures next to the square gold mirror...
how many inches should I hang a pendent light from a breakfast bar
Breakfast bar has a short ceiling above it want to...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Door and shutter colors for old brick home
Hello. My home was built in 1842. The trim, shutters...
Need help deciding on a backsplash!
We are updating our showroom kitchen and need to decide...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...