Kitchen cabinet color ideas
woolylam
We are working on our kitchen and I love the original cabinets but want to strip them and repaint. Since opening up to the dining room that is olive I am not as crazy about the white cupboards. I am thinking of doing the lighter olive in the dining room on the cupboards, but am not sure. We will be doing the darker olive on the rest of the windows to match the one window we have done. We also plan on bumping the kitchen into the adjoining porch to push the fridge and pantry back so that we can put a lower radiator in front of the window the stove is currently in front of and putting the stove where the radiator is (behind the pantry). Any ideas on the cabinet color? I love vibrant colors and our livingroom is a pumpkin orange. The kitchen has one north window and 2 east windows so it has morning light but is darker in the evening.
comrades
Have you considered chalk paint? This is a green tone may be the look and ease of application you are looking for.
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 8:40AM
Or a light blue tone to compliment the rest of the colors that is happening in the room.
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 8:44AM
woolylam
I do like cobalt blue accents in the kitchen. So blue was a thought.
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 9:21AM
woolylam
I just realized there isn't a pic of my kitchen curtains on there. So here it is
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 9:23AM
woolylam
Oh and the floor is going to be the oak flooring that is in the rest of the downstairs when we get around to pulling up the linoleum. We don't work very fast on our house since it is usually just the two of us doing it. :)
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 9:28AM
woolylam
comrades have you used chalk paint before? That is an interesting idea.
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 9:30AM
Luv Romantic
Here's a couple of shots of what it might look like. By the way I love the color of your living room. Looks like someone else is not afraid of color. ;-)
6 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 10:38AM
studio10001
No need to strip. Sand, then wipe,and you're fine to go.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 12:30AM
woolylam
I need to strip because there are bubbles under current layers of paint. Not sure if its from painting over grease or what. I won't strip everything just the fronts. I really like the idea of the chalk paint.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 4:46AM
Genevieve
The bubbles are caused because a different finish was used on top of the old paint and no primer was used under the paint so the paint had room to form air bubbles that eventually look like a very bad sunburn .
Scrape them off, give the walls a good sand down ,wash the walls down with TSP and rinse with clean clean ,wear rubber gloves for this , use a primer and good quality paint ,for walls with imperfections use a flat /eggshell paint these finishes hide imperfections of the walls . I would paint it a sage green .

Salisbury Green, Benjamin Moore

for the cabinets and trims

first crush CSP-310

for the windows I would choose a striped fabric ,like this for example
http://cozycrookedcottage.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/country_kitchen_broad_stripe_blind_custom.jpg

Plant some Rosemary if you don't have some already and create on of these http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JhwjlatZDrs/UKbzFUbQ-HI/AAAAAAAAB0M/BWhkZlP70fU/s1600/DSCN2447.jpg
6 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 5:29AM
Genevieve
I was thinking that a topiary picture would give your kitchen a fresh garden feel
http://artexpressionsltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/topiary.jpg
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 5:51AM
woolylam
Genevieve I just made my valances and love the color- the pics of those are posted down a couple from my initial posting. I also have a framed poster on the wall by the window that has the colors of the curtains in bold flowers. I should take a picture and post that too.
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 10:15AM
Nancy Walton
I would make a skirt for your sink to match the valances. You can attach with velcro for easy cleaning.
2 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 10:41AM
Nancy Walton
I would not paint the woodwork olive, it will cut down the available light and darken your kitchen.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 10:43AM
Genevieve
You did a good job on the valance ,the fabric look nice and so are the shades ,I think that they will look great if you decide to go with the sage green.

Paint the shelves in the First Crush too .
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 11:47AM
Nancy Walton
I just noticed you already painted your woodwork, so disregard my previous comment. I also just noticed your stove in front of the window--can you find a wall to relocate it to?
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 12:19PM
Genevieve
Nancy I just noticed that too ,
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 12:26PM
woolylam
Next step in the kitchen is to push the fridge and pantry into the attached porch. This will allow the stove and radiator to be swapped so we can put an exhaust above the stove (which will not be white). We are looking for a shorter radiator to put in front of the window. The only cupboards are the ones with the wood countertop.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 4:24PM
woolylam
I thought the olive would be too dark for the window trim and shelves but we love it. I just think doing the cupboards in that dark of a color would be too much.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 4:25PM
woolylam
Nancy, I am WAY too messy of a cook and dishwasher to have a skirt under my sink. When we finish pulling up the linoleum and have the wood floor it will look nicer. :)
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 4:27PM
brickln
I think the baseboards should be painted in olive as well. I really like Genevieve's colors, but for your bold taste, I'd go with black base cabinets and oxblood tops, antiqued or distressed with creams, greens and/or blues showing through. It would look sharp against the yellow and green on the walls and with oak floors.
And I love your kitchen- thanks for keeping it original!
4 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 5:44PM
woolylam
brickin thanks for the ideas. We are plannning on the baseboards in olive. When we redid the electrical in the dining room (taking down the chandelier) we found a light olive paint on the ceiling! Also inside the cupboards is a similar yellow to the wall color we painted. My husband and I have had many discussions on this kitchen- he would prefer new cupboards but I so love the feel of the old ones (plus its cheaper). So we have agreed to keeping them. I think it will take us quite a while to finish it since we are in the middle of painting the outside of the house and insulating and drywalling the new garage. We have lived here for almost 6 years and have to remind ourselves we need to have fun too. :)
0 Likes   September 14, 2013 at 9:08AM
CHRISICOS INTERIORS
Hello, suggest a toned down version of the white by adding a glaze to a white cabinet. This works well as a neutral color, let's the space remain light and airy, and coordinates well with your color scheme. A cabinet door with detail and crown details provide the needed nooks and crannies for the glaze which is basically a brown or wood toned stain. Talk to your kitchen cabinet supplier or designer about the details
0 Likes   September 14, 2013 at 9:14AM
jackandchas
You can make your own chalk paint! It's just as good and it is waaay cheaper! 1c latex paint 2 1/2 Tbsp Plaster of Paris 1 1/2 Tbsp cool water... Mix water and paster first, then add to paint. Also, we used Sharkey Gray on ours and love it!
0 Likes   September 14, 2013 at 10:10PM
Chalk paint is not a great finish for a kitchen though - I have used the real original stuff and you wax it in, it isn't for hard wearing surfaces like a kitchen. In a kitchen you need to be able to scrub the cabinets clean of food and gunk. Stick with a high gloss paint.

Here's a vote for what you have. I think the yellow and white is what makes the green cheerful / work.

Blue cabinets add too many different tones here - it should be your accent color rather than adding another color on the cabinets. I think you will be happier in long run with an off-white - you have lovely cabinets and I'm usually a big fan of green kitchens but then you will have too much green. Since you really want to head that direction, try a pale white tinted green - it will still work with the cheerful yellow walls, but will give you a new look - head in that direction. Test sw chamomile - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6399-chamomile/

I think your yellow and white is part of why the olive works as well as it does
2 Likes   September 14, 2013 at 11:35PM
Phyllis Fox
When we refinished cabinets in our cabin I wanted an old feel. Also love the color green. Counters were a Corian with a matte finish that replicated SoapStone- earthy green and cabinets were distressed in khaki colors that had green under towns.
My surprise was by taking out working window and making it glass only brought so much more light in and our switch to schoolhouse lighting made it pop.
The painting is tedious but well worth it.
1 Like   September 15, 2013 at 6:09AM
Phyllis Fox
oops hadnt switched out light fixtures in those shots yet:)
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 6:19AM
Kimberley Bell Interiors
I am all about continuity; from pics it appears to be a pretty small kitchen which is PERFECT for a punch of cabinet color. Don't think spacious; think culinary cozy! Hit those cabinets with olive trim green or move up the paint swatch a shade or two if you prefer a bit lighter to ensure a smooth shade transition. The trim green looks fantastic with your counters and will give you a cohesive look so kitchen flows with the rest of your home.
1 Like   Thanked by woolylam    September 15, 2013 at 6:30AM
woolylam
I think that is why when we opened the kitchen up I wasn't as crazy about the white. I have two tone olive in the diining room and autumn colors of pumpkin orange in the livingroom and hubbard squash gold in the office. The kitchen was way to light and bright compared to the rest of the house. (I do have the green in touches in the livingroom too. I have never been totally happy with the brighter yellow in the kitchen in this house since it doesn't read autumn as much. But when we painted the trim and shelves olive it made me love the yellow. Now we just need the rest of the trim done. If you want to see the dining room and living room pics click on my name. I have uploaded them.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 7:44AM
Interior Connections
I suggest you paint the bottom cabinets a lighter shade of the green trim and leave the top cabinet white. If you leave the top cabinet white, then you can leave the baseboard white, which keeps some continuity. Or paint all of the cabinets more of a cream color. Add a multi-color glass mosaic back splash to incorporate a different element other than wood and add some colorful accessories.
1 Like   Thanked by woolylam    September 15, 2013 at 7:58AM
ljfq
To me, if the cabinets are a color, but appliances/sink are not, a smaller kitchen looks very "chopped up". I love white cabinets and find they make any accent color look awesome. You seem to love color. How do you feel about change down the road? Remember, you can easily repaint walls but not cabinets! White can be easily toned down with the addition some natural materials, like wood, for example, so it does not look start, it just looks fresh.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:09AM
ljfq
Oops. I meant STARK in that last sentence.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:10AM
swissgirl
I would color wash your bottom cabinets the green of your trim. I would color wash the top cabinets the gold yellow of your wall. And then, to tie it all in, I would create very thin "mouldings" on both top and bottom doors with the colors of your valance, adding in a white line to tie in the appliances. Think quarter inch stripes of the valance colors (creating rectangles on the doors) and the white. There seem to be three colors in your valance, plus the white, you would end up with a 1 1/4" "moulding". Make sure you bevel the corners. I would use fat magic markers and a square ruler. Then polyurethane each door for easy cleaning. This might sound time consuming but you could do one door every time you have a spare hour. Good luck!
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:57AM
Mishket Leah Reichman
how about a soft baby blue? i think it will go well with the colour of your walls... and will work great with olive green...
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 9:09AM
Mo
Not sure if you care for this look but I am really liking the 2 colors of cabinets in the kitchen. The lower cabinets being the darker color and the upper a light color. Say a cobalt blue on the bottom and a butter yellow on top or some such combo.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 9:48AM
jboncaro
I would go with the darker olive for your cabinets. And since the blue Royal Copenhagen plates won't match your kitchen, you can just send them to me. I collect Royal Copenhagen and will give them a good loving home with their relatives.
1 Like   September 15, 2013 at 10:33AM
woolylam
jboncaro - very funny! :) And if you look down from my original pics a couple comments you will see my curtains which do have a dark blue stripe in them so you are out of luck! :) But nice try. Those were my grandmothers and I would not part with them.
2 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:00AM
jboncaro
I can understand why you wouldn't part with them. My collection started when I inherited some blue fluted Royal Copenhagen pieces from my mother, who inherited them from my Danish grandmother. Since then I've added pieces and the whole collection will go to my daughter.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:16AM
Amy Stanley
I actually love the vintage white cabinets- I would paint the pantry next to stove the same olive as all the trim and leave the cabinets white- I love the idea of taking your curtain material to a skirt for your sink- I think you will have way too much green if you do your cabinets green as well right now the white ties back to the sink and appliances-
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:19AM
Nancy Walton
To reiterate, the sink skirt would be attached using velcro, so could be taken off and washed when needed, Woolylam...
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:40AM
woolylam
Another thought I had after some of the comments is to antique the white cabinets by scuffing and doing stain over top. I actually will not have the pantry cabinet after we are done with the bump out. We are going to build one into the wall (like a shallow closet) and use an old solid wood door for the door of the pantry. And we are getting new appliances so probably not staying with the white (although I haven't decided color I don't think we will do stainless.)
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:43AM
Nancy Walton
If you are keeping the white sink, I would go with white appliances, always in style, unlike colors which come and go...(Harvest gold, avocado green, coppertone, etc.)
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:45AM
woolylam
Here's some backsplash tile I would love to incorporate something similar in the kitchen.
4 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:48AM
Nancy Walton
WOW, COOL!
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:50AM
annehuscroft
What about cream cabinets? A nice compliment to your existing color palate but not overwhelming.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:53AM
woolylam
Nancy, I wasn't going to keep the sink when we were thinking about colors and actually that sink is going outside in a planting cupboard to wash fruits and veggies since the surface is damaged and it is so low for washing dishes. But I found a bit smaller old one that can be raised 5" and is not as long so that I can put a dishwasher to the left of it. So now I am sticking with a white sink so have been rethinking appliance colors again. You are probably right about sticking with the white appliances then. Sigh. I have been thinking on this kitchen for five years now. I want to stay true to the architecture of our home and we have been taking it slow for that purpose. The house its kind of arts & crafts/cottage so its been a fun adventure. Also if I went with a tile like above with the white grout lines that would pull that in. We know the first step is to finish painting the window trim. Also the replacement window that were put in prior to our buying the house are white so there will still be a touch of white on the windows.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:54AM
Cynthia Heinz
As a DIYer I'd keep the work simple. The yellow on the walls doesn't coordinate with the items on the open shelves. Think I'd tone down your living room color a bit, put that on the walls, leave the lovely dark olive on the trim and add that fun bright back slash as a punch of fun, eye catching focal point. The oak flooring warm colors would look great with a pumpkin look on the walls.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 12:21PM
studio10001
The white is important to keep this colourful without becoming chaotic, so I think what you are suggesting is a good balance. I was looking at mosaics for you without great success - absolutely love the backplash photo YOU found!
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 12:22PM
Cynthia Heinz
Oh, and extend the dark olive to the lower cabinets and the open upper shelves!
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 12:23PM
Cynthia Heinz
Softer olive on the top cabs
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 12:24PM
Amy Stanley
You can paint the old door to the pantry the olive too- that back splash is awesome and I think the white on the cabinets with the white grout would all tie together.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 12:26PM
brickln
One of my favorite articles on blending old with new:

0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 1:18PM
ruthie21
I would consider a rust color for the cabinets.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 1:32PM
woolylam
brickin - I love that one too. I'd love to have that stove too. Vintage ones unrestored aren't too bad around here but hubby is afraid they might not be safe. And the new models are WAY out of our budget (which mostly consists of our slave labor) :)
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 1:40PM
nursenina
Instead of stripping cabinets, I used a crackle glaze that looks really cool. I used a tan coat on the bottom, then crackle glaze, then white paint on top. The tan shows through the crackle and looks really old and cool. I did an old medicine cabinet that way and it looks so good I'm going to do the oak sink vanity the same and just replace the sink top. It has glass bridge handles. This should be cheaper than buying a new sink and vanity and will fit in with the old timey look I have going on in the bathroom. I may texture the walls and will paint them a yellowish gold. I'm trying to do it all on the cheap.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 2:01PM
amjbauman
I think the color you painted your window trim would look really nice on your cabinets. Since you found the color in other areas of the house while working on it I would say the house is telling you to use it.

I think that your idea of moving the radiator and stove are great, but I have one question. Is the large pantry a newer cabinet? It looks like it may be. If so, I would uninstall it and put that in the corner, move the fridge down next to it and put the stove where the fridge is. I understand why you want to get the stove out of under that window, but I think you will feel strange cooking in that corner while boxed in by the pantry.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 5:05AM
Phyllis Fox
Richards Brand, color- Bayberry Wax is a Historic color and I have used it many times. You can have any store pull up the recipe to make a sample. It looks darker on but works well.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 6:19AM
Christina's Interior Finishes
Great ideas! Definitely do the necessary prep work as stated above--probably the most important step. I like the Salisbury Green, maybe with a deep mustard glaze in the corners and crevices-- Benjamin Moore's 'Autumn Bronze' would be good. I always use oil based paint on the cabinets that I paint for clients. Best for longevity.
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 9:24AM
ljdemarco
I recommend using chalk paint. Stripping of the cabinets is unnecessary and different colors, tones and techniques can be used without visible brush strokes in the finished product.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 1:26PM
woolylam
I believe stripping of the cabinet doors is necessary for the condition they are in (can't see in the pics). I dislike the bubbles and have used a soy stripper which works well. These cabinet were painted two-tone celedon and cream when we bought the house (celedon green walls). I didn't like it- made the room seem bleak to me. So we painted the cabinets white (even over the bubbles because I at least wanted it to look clean) We have lived in several farm houses and painted cabinets. Not that big of a deal to us. :) I just don't want to do it again. So I really want to get it right this time.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 10:55AM
woolylam
The pantry is free standing and we will move it into the enclosed porch to use as a coat closet. The new pantry will be built into the porch - as will the fridge. So the stove will not be boxed into a corner. Hard to describe. Our upright freezer is in the porch on the wall that the stove will be on in the kitchen. So we are only bumping the fridge and pantry into it.
1 Like   September 17, 2013 at 10:57AM
Leave cabinets. I like the cottage look paint walls same as dining room. Can you take some cabinet away and put stove to right rather than sitting in front of that pretty window. Never cover a window. You have a very charming home. I would move stove, then get window covers that have white and wall color in a roman shade.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 11:01AM
I would add a cabinet where you have open shelves. To give it balance. Just saw green dining rm. not my fav. I would paint both ares a latte, then put color in your window covers.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 11:05AM
Valance not working you need roman shades to give it a updated look. Remove clutter this is a very small space. Is very busy. With small items around. Keep walls bare.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 11:06AM
woolylam
Sorry travisinteriors, but the dining room we chose the paint and love (it was a beige- which we did not love). The shelves were installed last winter as well as the valance (which I made another to go on the window by the stove once it is moved) We LOVE those elements. Wanted a cafe look and the valance helps with that. We are planning on moving the stove from the window. Our budget allows for pretty much paint at this point. The rest is hard work (we have the materials to do the bumpout for the fridge and pantry. Eventually we will purchase different appliances, but for now only paint. :)
1 Like   September 18, 2013 at 10:26AM
woolylam

This is similar to the color I am thinking
2 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 10:34AM
shower dimensions
We are custom building a home. Shower will be 5'8...
How does everyone feel about clear glass pendants?
I'm so torn because I think these would look good over...
Need advice on furnishing and decorating a small home
My new home for my two boys (8 & 12), our small dog...
Need Help For Couch
Hey everyone, Actually I am in dilemma with which...