Need help with the front of the boring house we bought..

bepipeSeptember 12, 2013
We have since poured a 13x13 concrete pad in front of sliding door and built a brick retaining wall. We plan on having some dirt and sod brought in for the front yard but need help deciding where to go from here. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lazzell Design Works
Is that the front door in the center, under the windows?
    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 12, 2013 at 1:33PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
We are running a special for 2D full color renderings like this one ,will show you all the changes you need and want.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 12, 2013 at 3:38PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Before.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 3:39PM
HI -- That is a massive frontage . You need mostly landscaping - lots of landscaping and lots and lots of trees . A forest of trees . Ask your local garden center for what kind of trees would be best . Some evergreens and river birch and aspens and lindens and ornamental pear or maybe some fruit trees . Make a plan and plant the trees first and then add lower growing bushes and such after if your doing this over a few years . Get a plan drawn up by a landscape designer - the garden center might have someone on staff . But that house needs some shade in front for sure . If your adding anymore accent walls - do stone and not try matching with the house brick . There is already too much brick .
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 12, 2013 at 3:52PM
Dar Eckert
I would consider a pergola or deck at the top of the first level.
Points North · More Info

Pickering · More Info
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 4:11PM
sstarr93
This is a pretty cool brick house! I agree that the garden could use some work, but you also could work on the finish detail, and really bring out the beauty of the design.
The windows look undefined, and should be set off by either brickwork (I can see the brick sills in the clear photo), or quality window trim (not the white aluminum ones here). The window trim should be a dark bronze/grey, and thick enough to read from a distance.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 12, 2013 at 9:14PM
bepipe
Lazzell, yes the double doors are in the center under the windows.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 5:57AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
If your ready to see your new back yard ideas give us a call . We are running a special for this month on drawings $130.00 to $150.00 Regular piece $250.00 you can get two versions of the original concept, you can add a gazebo, stone walls, trees, paint, and more where else can you bring your dreams to life for this affordable price.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 13, 2013 at 7:50AM
Rina
I realiise it's not something to be built with small change, but I would love to see a reflecting pool here. (I've had to guess at where your retaining wall might be and what it might look like.) Planting around the pool would of course be required. I like the planting that Everything Beautiful has done.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 8:02AM
Circle Goods Reclaimed
It might look cool to wrap that chimney in something more substantial would be a subtle but noticeable difference this house will look beautiful at night with the right lighting and maybe a creative upgrade on the door rather than a plain white one.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 13, 2013 at 8:44AM
mcbriec
I think this is a lovely house but the plain Jane front door does not do it justice at all, and looks tiny in relation to the whole facade. If this were my home, I would replace the current door with two high quality glass doors to fill in that space in a symmetrical fashion. The reason for using glass again is that since the façade is so high, if you use wood doors they will look extremely puny as they will stand out from the rest of the high wall of glass.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 13, 2013 at 10:20AM
sellaginella
A little bit of paint and a little effort put into the garden and all is well. Actually a lot of paint and a joint effort to have a nice lawn plus a few fruit trees ought to do the trick for a start.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by bepipe    September 13, 2013 at 10:36AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
No obligation just promoting my drawings.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 10:46AM
bepipe
Everyone thanks for the comments, Mcbriec--the front doors are sliding glass doors. It looks like a white door in the picture but they are blinds that are hanging and pushed off to the right side that makes it look like a white door. I would love to get rid of the white blinds but I have a neighbor over on the hill opposite of my house that likes to get the binoculars out. I'm in the woods literally the last house on the drive on 8.5 acres.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 11:37AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
A drawing can help you first decide if what you want will look right without having to spend a great amount of money .

It must be hard for you American guys to work on such old English designs.... The ideas have gradually culminated into what really would look good on the house. Ourfarmhouse - these are absolutely great ideas, and thanks Everything Beautiful for getting the jist and putting the ideas onto the house image - nothing like seeing an actual design on your own home.

We've got an architech working on it, and he's keen on the iron-wrought idea... but we're not sure. Basically toss-up with this and Everything Beautiful's design (2 above). Going with a four-pannel door, but would like to incorporate some glass somewhere! Possibly a panel above with the house name engraved on it??
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 1:53PM
The Color People
It always astounds me that everyone wants you to spend a ton of money building this or that architectural dream. I figure if you are rolling in dough you would have already found an architect and landscape architect.
I'm assuming you are like the rest of us and money always tight with a new house. One simple paint solution is to paint the fascias/gutters in a dark red brown that ties with the brick color. It will make the brick more interesting and bring down the scale of that gable.
The rest is like mentioned above judicious landscaping. I think it would behoove you to hire a professional. It will really pay off over the coming years. Just like those trees at either end to balance the height in the middle, plantings by the base and dealing with the whole front yard will solve the visual problems you have with the house.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 2:11PM
RosemaryR
Engage a landscape designer to get an overall plan that you can implement as time and budget allow.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 2:36PM
New front doors tall and bold color. Lots of big trees and big plants. Add a slab and add rail s for a front porch look. Add nice out door furniture.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 2:42PM
On the slab go across the whole front of house. Make it big for entertaining.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 2:43PM
sellaginella
For privacy why not have something like this at your front door? Having a pergola means lots of greens right near you and plenty of privacy. In the evenings a quiet sit out too.

If you have a handyman in the family, it can be done though not perfectly. Even having an arch and sending a flowering creeper will help you to maintain some privacy. I have a few Ficus benjamina trees in large tubs to solve the kind of problem you have. Only to a certain extent though. Toms can always find a way.
    Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 8:20PM
celerygirl
some simple ideas
    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 5:15AM
leelee
You need some trees planted in natural groupings and some beds to break up the expanse. I take it this is the back yard?

It might have been better to build a rock retaining wall to give a rest from all the brick but it's not too late to bring in some rock for interest.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 5:34AM
Rina
Hi leelee -- that brick retaining wall was something I made up just from bepipe's comment that she had built one, as that looked like the place where it was needed. Don't know what the wall is built of. See my note with the picture. Mea culpa for any confusion I caused -- and to The Color People for putting forward an extravagant idea. I just think ideas cost nothing, and the silly ones may lead to others that are much better. Nothing wrong with a brainstorm.

By the way bepipe, I wanted to mention that "boring" is not the word I would apply to this house. Majestic is. The reflecting pool popped into my head because I started thinking about Versailles.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 6:11AM
ahelton142
Landscaping will make huge difference and I think wooden double doors at the front entrance would look great !!!
    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 6:18AM
Dar Eckert
If money were no object, I think adding gables over the single story sections of the home would help to balance the height issue between the sections. Adding more interest to the entire façade.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 7:17AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
When ever your ready we can draw it up for you.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 1:09PM
My front entry is boring, boring, boring - please help!
My front door area is a snoozefest! I have two sidelights...
jensie
Boring grey brick house needs help!!
We just bought this house. I love the house, but not...
katepiazza1
Boring house front, need help please!
I know the plants are all wrong and I am thinking of...
busylizzie
Boring Front Yard before and after!
My front yard, right in front of my house, was so boring...
Kimbrali Nemsdale-Gilman
The Front Exterior of my House is sooooo boring! Please Help!
I just bought this house in October of 2013. I Focused...
mosolly
Gable Detail Inquiry
Hello, We are working to complete our new house. One...
clwoodard3
What to hang over sofa/ behind TV wallpaper
Hi all :D So here is my living room which is somehow...
rose_jm
Painting over the fireplace: is it too small?
Please help me decide! Should I find a bigger painting...
irenale
Gable Detail Inquiry
clwoodard3
Saarinen Marble Arabescatto Table - Glossy (shiny) or Satin finish?
I am looking to get a Saarinen Marble Table. The Arabescatto...
alexbc