4" Recessed LED help!!
icon23
September 12, 2013
I would like to use 4" LEDs for a remodel where there are currently no recessed housings installed. Will be using remodel (Living Rm) and new construction (Kitchen) housings.

The lights I would like to use are here: http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-4-in-9-5-Watt-65W-Soft-White-2700K-LED-Downlight-E-ECO4-575L/202899613#.UjIpMX-KHMs

The problem is that I cannot identify a housing unit that would work and is IC/T24 compliant. I have read that the HALO housings require brand specific connections.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated for this lighting rookie. IC/T24 is required for my location - Further, the housings must NOT have the GU24 connections.
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Ah! The CA Energy Gods strike again! ;-)

In our experience Halo LEDs are the best value and range of color levels. They also dim the best of all the affordable brands.
You can try Liton or Cree, but Litons don't dim as well as Halo and both are more expensive.
You can go way up the line and try Pure and Iris but those are really expensive.

Not a big fan of LEDs. I just don't think they are market ready or have had all the kinks worked out well enough, AND they are much more expensive too boot. We always look to install other allowable types and use the photo sensor switch T24 alternative. It gives you the more conventional lighting but still gives the energy savings from auto-off.

Good luck!
    Bookmark   Thanked by icon23    September 12, 2013 at 2:20PM
icon23
Yes - AND they charge us for it! Hoping someone has a good 4" solution. Otherwise I will move up the line =\

Would prefer 4" due to ceiling size :) ...They get us for that too!
    Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 2:45PM
    Bookmark   Thanked by icon23    September 12, 2013 at 2:56PM
bibsey
I am remodeling my kitchen, is 6 " cans obsolete or is it ok.
    Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 7:29PM
Fred S
Ok, I am missing something. If not a GU24 base, then what? A standard screw base does not qualify as a high efficiency luminare. I was under the impression that GU24 did. Does it need to be air tight also?
    Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 2:28AM
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I support the first comment here and agree with you on that. Nice response.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 10:23AM
Fred S
That just gets more ridiculous. I can wire nut on a medium screw shell almost as fast as screwing in an adaptor. Next thing you know, they are going to make a law that the toilet has to wipe your butt. :)
    Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:22AM
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
@FredS: I don't know the OP's issue, but in our experience:

Technically CA State Energy Code is neither pro- nor con- GU24s. The issue is whether it is a "high-efficiency" luminaire in Title24 calculations. There are plenty of low-efficiency luminaire housings out there with GU24 connections. Also, most of the LED retrofit kits (not considered a high-efficiency luminaire in T24) are GU24. As a result, the rule on the street with inspectors is GU24s are suspect. Some understand the requirement, others don't. Some care to take the time to consider your evidence that you have complied, others... not so much. Add to this Title 20 regulations regarding the illegality of sale of GU24-to-non-LED adapters and I think you can get the gist of the climate in CA regarding GU24s.

So when you are standing there in the kitchen with a choice of putting in a compliant GU24 luminaires or hard-wired orange-lead ones, debating what sort of inspector you will have, you realize it's easier to put in a hard-wired than to get an inspector to admit he's wrong on code interpretation after you've installed a bunch of compliant GU24 housings and he's got it in his head they are non-compliant and is telling you to rip them out.

I think it's nuts. It's not even an HSW issue. But that's the sort of thing we can expect when the State seeks to implement social engineering and behavior modification via something like building codes.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 11:41AM
Fred S
I assume the point of these non-standard bases is to keep people from changing back to regular bulbs? But what keeps a pair of wire cutters and wire nuts from doing that? ;) Surprise inspections? They just can't outlaw everything as fast as someone can come up with a way around it. By the way, someone should explain the difference between lumens and watts to them. It is easier to get to the 50% high efficiency lighting with the less efficient CFL than with an LED which seems counter productive to the intent of energy savings.
    Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 12:34PM
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
@Fred:
"They just can't outlaw everything as fast as someone can come up with a way around it."
Please don't give them any more ideas on this than they already have.

"It is easier to get to the 50% high efficiency lighting with the less efficient CFL than with an LED which seems counter productive to the intent of energy savings."
You save even more energy if you have an incandescent and just turn the thing off.

And that's not even getting into all the mercury in CFLs or the list of unknown environmental and physical effects of LEDs.

Please, Fred, don't get me started! ;-)
    Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 6:17PM
kitchen lighting: recessed LED cans vs led bulbs in old style cans?
in a kitchen remodel, what are the reasons to entirely...
faizabad
Need help finding ul approved retrofit LED recessed lights
I want to replace "eyeball" recessed lights with retro...
mbharrington6
What sort of recessed lights do you use? LED? 4, 5, 6:?
Hi I was wondering how you space out and what type...
intelinside1
Bedroom/Bathroom Redecorate ideas Needed!
Need to paint bedroom and bathroom....want to use leopard...
maryb56
Stock Home Depot Cabinets or the basic semi custom cabinets?
We only intend to live in this house for 2 or 3 more...
movieangel
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Build.com purchases
Has anyone ever purchased from build.com? I wondered...
bnquinn
Window treatment suggestions?
Hi Houzzers, should mention the eating area will be...
Melissa Felber