Family room help. I hate the layout, but, cannot get rid of couch.
mmpadrnos
We do plan on getting a bigger tv and shorter stand. TV and stand were in back corner by fireplace.
Have you tried hanging the TV over the fireplace? If that would work, perhaps you could add a second set of shelves to the right of the fireplace to give your room symmetry. Then your sofa could face both the fireplace and the TV.
September 12, 2013 at 2:28pm        Thanked by mmpadrnos
mmpadrnos
The couch is wider than the width of my family room!
September 12, 2013 at 2:31pm     
mmpadrnos
to the left of the bar stool is my entrance into the room. It is only 3 ft wide
September 12, 2013 at 2:32pm   
Is it a sectional that can be broken up into pieces? If you can do that, move half to the left and half to the right of the fireplace?
September 12, 2013 at 2:32pm     
I think your idea of a long, low narrow console for the tv is a great solution.

September 12, 2013 at 2:33pm        Thanked by mmpadrnos
jaindl
Can the couch be divided into sections, or is it one unit?
September 12, 2013 at 2:38pm     
I'd make the investment to relocate TV to the wall on the right of the FP. This will totally open up your options with the sofa and other furniture.
September 12, 2013 at 4:14pm     
mmpadrnos
Darzy, this is our plan to do now. thoughts on mounting? We have a picture wall.
if you wish... look at the picture wall and tell me what i should have done!
September 12, 2013 at 5:30pm   
mmpadrnos
Jaindl, it is one unit essentially. Believe me, it was one of those .... hmmm, wish we would have thought this thru kind of purchases!
September 12, 2013 at 5:31pm   
mmpadrnos
We do like our current picture above our fireplace. I am not sure, I want that big of a tv that may be needed for that space.
September 12, 2013 at 5:33pm   
nycitygal11
Art over the fireplace is way too big. If u mount the tv over the fp, it will clear out the white stand, which is taking up space. Move art piece in its place and relocate picture wall.
September 12, 2013 at 7:51pm     
sellaginella
In my opinion, there are too many items here. Maybe moving the bookshelf somewhere else might give the place a roomier look. Wall mounting the TV also will take away another item. I don't think every empty wall must be filled up with artwork and mirrors etc. Less clutter and more room will make the home owner more comfortable. Also, dark color walls can make any place look smaller than it is. White or a pale color expands the area at least visually.
September 12, 2013 at 8:12pm     
Renee
You can't leave the couch where it is and mount the tv over the fireplace. How will you relax and watch tv? If you have to keep the couch, take everything else out including the curtains. Paint everything white. Wall mount the Tv on the wall across from the couch with a long thin cabinet underneath for components. Get rid of the ottoman and the armchair. Put a simple coffee table and, if there is room, small leather chairs facing the couch so you can have a conversation across the table. Get smaller barstools. Smaller artwork over the fireplace. When you can replace the couch, the layout will still work.
September 12, 2013 at 8:22pm        Thanked by mmpadrnos
milena2161
I will get rid of the tv console and the ottoman, also the small night table? next to the white console needs to go. The tv definitely needs to be on the wall. Maybe on top of the fireplace makes it difficult to watch from the sofa, being perpendicular.
September 12, 2013 at 8:32pm   
sellaginella
Milena, TV does not necessarily have to be on top of fireplace. You can wall mount it where it is convenient for you to watch TV. There are no hard and fast rules on decorating a home. Each home is special to the owner and his or her wishes must come first but with coordination that would please the eyes of the owner and the beholder. I think TVs are mounted on on top of fireplace because most have the most comfortable seat to watch TV facing the fireplace. If you cannot move your couch, TV must be where you can watch it from your couch.Curtains must hang properly ; that's a must for everyone. Pictures must not be crooked and hang at eye level not too low or not too high. There are some basic rules on some things but one need not imitate others about mirrors or art work. If you like a soft painting of a landscape, do not go to hang mod art just because someone else is doing it. You are a person in your own right and what you like matters, specially to you. This goes for all who request help in decorating their homes. If colors clash, someone can tell you about that and professionals are here to help you to buy what you want if the need arises. But if everything is done to other people's tastes, your own individuality is gone. Or else, you can tell a decorator what your own individual needs are and they can help you to do what you want tastefully. No offence meant to anyone specially to all Professionals who are doing a good job of work.. Sometimes reading some comments I too get utterly confused. Non pros can supply ideas and pros can tell you what to do in your own home to your own taste. I have a reason for saying this which I will put off for a later date if I am still here. The genuine will be in for a very nasty shock. One small hint. Beware of dangerous hackers. Do not let this long commentary interrupt your decorating ideas because this site is just for that and I enjoy interior decorating and landscaping and that is exactly why I am here. And no doubt so are many non-pros. And to enjoy each others company too, naturally. But there is some food for thought. And this does not apply to this website only. They are everywhere. Had to say this somewhere. Informed Houzz as soon as I joined.
If these bugs persist, I always leave. Took your time and space without permission. For that, a million thanks.
September 12, 2013 at 9:17pm     
milena2161
Thats what i said that it needs to be on the wall because on top of the fireplace make it difficult to watch.
September 12, 2013 at 9:23pm     
LB Interiors
I would get the new stand for the TV but not too wide. Get another tall bookcase plus the current one for each side of the TV. Flank the fireplace with two low cabinets. Place two large vases with tall branches on the cabinets. That will open up the fireplace wall. This will widen the width of the room. Let the artwork be the star. I think you will like the feeling of more space in the room that this will tend to give. Gives a good balance for that wall. Maybe you can use the tall bookcase in another room.
September 12, 2013 at 10:35pm   
mmpadrnos
LB interiors, thank you. However, and others have said this too, the bookcase next to the fireplace was a built in that came with the house! We just added shelves, it was one big open space, likely for the previous owners TV.
September 13, 2013 at 10:14am     
LB Interiors
Thanks mmpadmos!
September 13, 2013 at 10:17am   
leelee
It's up to you and what you need but more bookcases will just make the room look smaller and more cluttered. Paint the walls a less "heavy" color and remove some of the items on the walls. The picture over the FP might be a bit too large and it has too much going on. Your room is fairly small with lots of furniture so try to streamline the look.
September 13, 2013 at 10:45am   
icesk8r
The sofa is too big for the room but since it's there you have to deal with it. I would definitely get rid of the ottoman. Get a smaller and narrower place for the TV as others have said against the current wall. I feel like the artwork is much too large for the space it's hanging in as well. A mirror over the fireplace could help to make the space look larger.
September 13, 2013 at 10:50am   
mmpadrnos
Renee, what is wrong with the curtains? Because I hung them at the ceiling?
September 13, 2013 at 12:49pm   
Judy M
A light color item (like the bookcase) against a dark wall will make the item stand out, which adds to the overstuffed, crowded space.
If sofa is too large then other items need to go away.
So de clutter as much as possible and use one color as much as possible.
Less contrast in colors.
September 13, 2013 at 1:02pm     
Shelton Interiors
I think what is wrong is an imbalance on the FP wall with the two competing vertical shelf and art, and then nothing on the other side. I would agree with an earlier post to put the TV between the window and FP, and the sectional on the other wall. That would allow you to look out and make a more welcoming setting as you enter the room. Place the large piece of art over sectional on wall. Definitely get a smaller TV stand that blends in more!
September 13, 2013 at 1:54pm        Thanked by mmpadrnos
RosemaryR
Agree w/shelton interiors
September 13, 2013 at 2:11pm   
Third Dimension Design, LLC
I would recommend you build a media wall unit around your fireplace.
September 13, 2013 at 2:19pm   
travisinteriors
Lets start with de cluttering the walls. You have too much going on. Picture over firepl is to big. Need a pic of opposite wall and other end of room.
September 13, 2013 at 2:23pm     
travisinteriors
Could TV go over Fire pl?. And components on that bookcase. You need to remove items from that too. Then could you float sofa facing Firepl? Move chair where TV is now. I think the red walls are too bold. A dove gray taupe would work better. You would have to remove more furn out. This room is small. For a big sectional.
September 13, 2013 at 2:27pm   
travisinteriors
Your TV would fit over FP no need to go bigger. I just read post about sofa being too big. Even if you could remove just the end unit and put where. tV is now. Would it work if you float? Then you would remove leather chair. Pic over FP now could go on wall where TV is now remove all small pic. 3 ft is all you need for walk way.
September 13, 2013 at 2:33pm   
travisinteriors
Is that bookcase built in?
September 13, 2013 at 2:33pm   
travisinteriors
I see bookcase built in.
September 13, 2013 at 2:34pm   
leelee
Look how many boxes you have in the room. The curtains should be hung at the ceiling but they should go to the floor. Instead the give the look of two more boxes.
September 13, 2013 at 2:36pm   
leelee
Paint all the walls a lighter color like pale gray. Remove all the art on the wall with the TV. Get white wood blinds for the windows. Remove curtains. Find another place for the picture over the FP. Replace it with something softer looking and make sure the top of the picture is not as tall as the top of the bookcase.
September 13, 2013 at 2:40pm      Thanked by mmpadrnos
leelee
Remove any fake plants
September 13, 2013 at 2:41pm   
I like the piece of art over the FP, but it seems too large - note that it is higher than the window frames, and also door frames, I assume, and it towers over the built-in bookcase. Any possibility that hanging TV on the right wall would enable the sofa to move to the other side of the space and the art to hang on the present TV wall? For future reference a sofa and two swivel chairs will make you swoon when you see how easily arrangements work out with them.
September 13, 2013 at 4:30pm      Thanked by mmpadrnos
Renee
To me. The curtains are too heavy and dark for the space. And, they are drawing my eyes down to the couch. I would like to see a cleaner, straight look over the windows. Maybe a straight light colored shade? I am assuming you need to shield light to watch the TV. I think if you brighten this room up, hang the TV and get the thin console under it, and remove clutter you will be in business. That couch may be huge but it sure looks comfortable.
September 15, 2013 at 8:52am   
LB Interiors
Since the bookcase is built-in, maybe add floating shelves on the right side, a low cabinet below, to balance the fireplace wall. Paint the light color of the bookcase.
September 15, 2013 at 1:21pm   
LB Interiors
You can visually lighten the fireplace wall, without repainting any large walls, by painting the wall, the bookcase color on the wall behind the shelves. That will lighten the entire space.
September 15, 2013 at 1:23pm      Thanked by mmpadrnos
I need help with my living room/family room layout!!
It has been difficult because the room has so many...
I need help with the layout of my Family room
Twelve years ago we moved into our current house and...
Pls help with living room layout; cannot decide.
Cannot decide how to place the sofa in the living room: -...
I need help selecting a couch for my family room
I just recently renovated my kitchen and family room...
Need suggestions for updating china closet
Just painted dining room SW sand fossil, replaced light...
Layout issues
With the layout of this room, I am struggling to redecorate....
Light Bulb Type for Moroccan Filigree!
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a beautiful filigree...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...