What color should I paint my bathroom?
kozkay
Hello All,

Recently purchased a house and am busy remodeling and updating before we move in.

The bathroom is something I want to attack in a couple years but in the meantime I will definitely be painting it and am looking for advice on paint colors to go with the blue and white tile floors.

I plan on painting the wood colored trim white to match the beadboard.

So, looking for suggesting on wall color, ceiling color, moulding color (on top part of the wall), and anything else.

Pure Home
Hi kozkay,

I found a perfect neutral gray color for your bathroom. This will look great with your bead-board/wainscoting and will contrast well with your white trim. Let me know what you think! I can post examples of this color for your review. Hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Michelle C., IIDA
Purehome.com

4 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:32PM
Pure Home
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 5:36PM
kozkay
How do you think this will look with the blue floors? I was thinking a grey, but am worried it will bring out the blue more. Thoughts?
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:37PM
industrialing
a glam grey will do (with a hint of blue!) I think also gut move the lighting and change the flơr to bambơ
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:38PM
industrialing
*floor and bamboo
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:39PM
krystalfaul
I love the flooring you have in your bathroom. I'd go a light blue above the bead-board. This is a cute and quaint bathroom, I think that accenting the tile floor with a lighter color above will really help pull the look together. Contrast is important in such a small space. Picking a theme helps too. I am in love with nautical right now.
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:40PM
Lori
How about white trim, turquoise walls, and lime green accents? Maybe even a lime green ceiling if you're feeling a bit livelier.
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:55PM
Barbie
I agree with the gray. The right color of gray will compliment the floors and work well together. Using blue on the walls will just intensify the blue floors.
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 5:59PM
Pure Home
I love the blue floors [I hope it stays!] and would be perfect with the gray. Gray is cool-colored neutral. It compliments the blue. You can tie the gray and blue together by accessories, shower curtain and bath rugs! This could be a weekend project and your bathroom can be remodeled in no time!

Michelle C., IIDA
Purehome.com
1 Like   September 12, 2013 at 6:05PM
Jane Antonacci Interior Design
That blue floor is a shade of blue that can work with other colors, like a buttercup yellow, a great coral color the right green. Think about Italian pottery, like the photo below. Your blue is used in all of these pieces. I would definitely paint the ceiling the white to match your bead board, as well as the trim. The biggest change will come from the painting the trim out to white. I also love the blue floor, so try working with it. If you like the idea of a brighter color, let me know and I can specify something. I think the pale grey would be pretty dull with the vibrancy of the blue.
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 6:15PM
Pure Home
The blue would be a lovely accent color and have the rest of the bathroom gray and white. Here is a shower curtain I think would be perfect against the gray walls.

0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 6:15PM
leelee
I vote for buttery pale yellow. Not sure about the wood trim...is it in other rooms as well? It doesn't really work...would you be willing to paint the wood trim white?
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 6:48PM
lucindalane
You really have a pretty well preserved period bath there that others are striving out here to emulate. I don't know, but I would think that that floor-if original-might be pretty rare. I'm not a pro, but I have been researching and studying the Craftsman style-which is the style of my mom's house which we might finally get to restore, at least to a point, hopefully, and would say that your medicine cabinet definitely is a Craftsman style. So, I hope that when you do remodel that you will pass it along, with other things you might consider salvaging, to Habitat for Humanity or some other place where someone can put it to use in their own home.
As for your current plans, depending on how bold your own personal style is, I think that the gray would be nice if you like understated style, and the yellow would definitely give it some pop if you like the bold stuff. Personally, I like both gray and yellow, and those colors on that Italian pottery are just lovely, and if you used some of those in the bath, it probably would really brighten the place up.
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 7:12PM
kozkay
Love the idea of incorporating some yellow and green, but I think the yellow might be too much for me on the walls. Perhaps some accents or with some art. Thanks for all the feedback. I think I can grow to love the blue tiles, just not enamored with the current look. @leelee, yes I would like to paint the wood trim white, I think that will be a huge change.
2 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 10:01PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
The blue in your floor is a very clear blue. I believe it is best to keep with clear colors for this space. A clear, unmuddy yellow will lend itself to a nautical or Country European look, so a pretty painted chest would look great to the left of the sink.

But oh...I just saw that you aren't fond of yellow...perhaps a shower curtain with some clear colors in it will inspire you to choose a color from it to pull it together, or from that little painted piece that I suggested.

White trim will definitely help you like the look!!! Best Regards...
0 Likes   September 12, 2013 at 10:15PM
kozkay
Any suggestions on what to do with this trim/moulding?
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 9:47AM
kozkay
You have to expand the photo to see the moulding up above
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 9:47AM
leelee
The wood trim will just disappear if you paint it white enamel. Right now it's chopping up the small room but you can pull the room together with white on the trim work.
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 10:21AM
leelee
You might consider painting the picture frames white, too.
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 10:22AM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Definitely white for the trim. btw, the pictures are too small for that space.
1 Like   September 14, 2013 at 5:20PM
David J Gill
You could paint the trim.... the bathroom could be the right place for painted trim even if the trim in the rest of the house is natural. But, it seems that if you show a picture on Houzz with natural trim you will get a multitude of emphatic instructions that you must paint it and if you have painted trim you will get a contrary multitude of comments lamenting that it has been painted. If you like design, renovation, restoration, remodeling etc. you enjoy change hence the Houzz bias for change. So, let me be the contrarian and say maybe not painting it is the best thing to do.

Someone else (Jane Antonacci) made the really great comment that the blue tile is a shade that goes well with other colors like yellow and green. I think the wood color has a similar quality that will enhance and be enhanced by color on the wall.

You have a really nice period bathroom. Go with it, don't attack it. I hope you bought this old house because you like old houses so I would suggest changing out the modern items in the room with vintage fixtures or vintage style fixtures like a VINTAGE pedestal sink, light fixture, plumbing hardware, door hardware, towel bars etc. These things aren't hard to find on-line or at local businesses that sell architectural salvage. Something for you to think about.
1 Like   September 14, 2013 at 5:55PM
Design Results
Hi there, try playing around on this site below, you can choose colors and really see how they will look. http://m.sherwin-williams.com/mt/www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/try-on-colors/

I would advise you to leave that beadboard white and paint the trim white so it blends in. Choose a nice light blue for above. Morning Glory by Benjamin Moore is a good color, but there is no way of getting the right match without putting it next to your tile. Blue is tricky, different tones can clash (just as combining whites can make one seem yellow or blue so match your trim color to the breadboard. Obviously get a good quality white lid on the toilet - again watch the match on the whites. My last bit of advice to you would be to paint the color on poster board (Ben Moore sells little sample jars), and tape it up to see if northern/eastern/filtered/incandescent light etc affects the color. At the end of the day the color should please you. Personally gray walls don't put a smile on my face.
Best of luck,
Daryl
1 Like   September 14, 2013 at 6:30PM
Maine Susan
Grey seems to be the color now... as Daryl above says, it does not do much for me. I do like shades of whites as a calm, comfortable room, even in the bath. I LOVE the floor... and most of the rest; whites would work with all. IF you like more color the Italian colors in Jane's post above would be beautiful... and you could leave all the natural wood as is! Food for thought, you could start with the yellow above and the bead board, crown molding the same white... leaving the natural... it is a start, and then IF you still wanted to paint the trim, go for it. I like the step by step, easiest way first then being able to add... not easy to strip molding if you decide you wish you hadn't painted. As an antiques lover... old anything... I go with the least damage changes then progress... please post pictures when done! I also agree with an above post the wall decor needs to be bigger and leave some walls blank. I would not use a rug, or change it to white or something other than blue. The slight tweaks will make a huge difference. ;-)
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:09AM
Maine Susan
If you removed that small table it would make the room look larger. You could add a shelf between sink n mirror, and also shelves on wall past sink for towels, TP, jar of ? and whathaveyou. IF you need more storage use something w/drawers but not very deep and or very tall where the existing table is. I would think it would be a done deal not needing anything major at that point... DONE is good!
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:21AM
Barbara Krai Interior Design
Play up color of the floors by painting vertical stripes on the upper walls in a coordinating softer blue and white. This will help raise the low ceiling and keeps the vertical lines of the beadboard. The blue and white stripes repeat the combo on the floor and is so much more interesting than a solid color!
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:21AM
Maine Susan
These are photos of my last pantry/laundry room redo... I painted the stripes freehand, kinda water painted with a guide string to keep it vertically straight but not worrying too much about perfection... more artistic, it looked great! It is so hard to give advice on such when we really don't know what the rest of the house, or an owners preferences are...
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:30AM
Amy Wax
I would love to see the wood stay wood... the painted white trim is very traditional but if the wood you have is finished nicely with a low sheen finish to it, it is more of a unique look. Painted white trim with white tile is predictable ( and a bit boring) whereas the wood you have is warm and gives your bathroom a sense of style.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 8:32AM
What color should I paint my master bathroom?
What color should I paint my master bathroom? My master...
What color should I paint my bathroom?
A wedding guest of mine painted this beautiful piece...
What color should I paint the walls in my bathroom? Making down the wa
Pls notice the tanish tiles on the wall..also marble...
What color should I paint my bathroom??
What color should I paint my bathroom? Any other design...
Ask
Small space between the ceiling and the cabinet
Please help me decide which set-up for my living room
Here are the things I like/don't like about each set-up: Set-up...
Fireplace
I have a huge stone fireplace which when built the...
What is your overall opinion of this kitchen?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/19411686/Wood-Mode-Brookhaven-Products-traditional-kitchen-houston...
Backsplash for busy granite
What type of backsplash goes best with busy, flowy...