What Color Shutters for French Country look on Stucco/Stone House?
baseballmom94
I'm trying to pick a paint color for our shutters and front door of our house. I don't necessarily need to change colors...just need a fresh coat of paint. I gravitate towards French Country design on the interior. Should I color match the brown shutters/front door or choose a softer brown or greenish/gray color? We would prefer Sherwin Williams colors if possible. Afraid to make a huge mistake but don't want to pass up an opportunity to make a positive update.
I think blue/gray shutters works nicely, particularly with your French country desired look.

September 12, 2013 at 9:11PM        Thanked by baseballmom94
lucindalane
Your house is very lovely, and I think that blue shutters would help with a French Country vibe. Your house has some very definite Tudor features-which really doesn't run that counter to the French Country style, as I would say that the two style are "kissin' cousins." Also, French Country has a lot of curvy features, like arched windows, and your house is pretty linear, with the exception of the round vents. Your landscaping is very formal, which is also the kind of landscaping that Tudor homes had. Also, your shutters are just those decorative ones. They would look better if they were like the ones in the photo in the previous post. French Country is much more informal, so if you really want to go for the look, you need to make the environment more informal, IMO. Just adding some pretty flowers planted in a more "free form" fashion would help with a establishing a more casual ambiance. I believe that the color and landscaping can help you achieve a more French Country look.

September 13, 2013 at 1:27AM      Thanked by baseballmom94
baseballmom94
Thank you, everyone for your kind replies. I did think of the blue/gray color but don't think my hubby would go for it! Also, Lucindalane, just wanted to mention that the photo of our house was taken in early Spring. We actually have a lot of Russian Sage (similar look to the purplish/blue plant in the photo you posted) so it does have more of a freeform French Country look all summer. And I always have pots of flowers out -- just not in the photo I posted. I'm considering the idea of a greenish/gray color or just going with a softer brown. I love the more French-looking shutters in the two photos posted! Not sure we want to actually get new shutters but it's a consideration!
September 13, 2013 at 7:08AM   
trebinje
This color on your shutters would add French Country charm. No one seems to know for sure what color this is, but speculation is it's one of these: BM Wythe Blue, BM Stratton Blue, SW Drizzle.
September 13, 2013 at 7:34AM   
I'd focus my yen for French country on the interior, as this house has a ways to go to appear to be that style. Paint the shutters in your favorite of the above suggestions, but don't expect the home to morph into a French country house; it just isn't. Put your efforts into the decor for that look.
September 13, 2013 at 7:42AM   
anne dee

inspiration pics for ideas
Arch angle shutters' color reference Timberlane Shutters colonial blue/blue topaz
September 13, 2013 at 8:14AM     
lucindalane
Maybe your hubby can be convinced to go for something that at least has a "bluish" tone to it. Perhaps you could shop around and just add some outside 'French Country" adornments for the yard-maybe a little mini courtyard somewhere in the front?
September 13, 2013 at 8:43AM