Need help to identify this table
maxtschalabi
I have purchased this table, because I loved it. I have been trying to find out what it is, and what era it belongs to? by the way all the metal work is solid brass and the table is very heavy
Nancy Hehmann
Maybe it is time to go to Antique Roadshow?? Great looking piece!!
September 13, 2013 at 11:33am        Thanked by maxtschalabi
Cabell Design Studio
Hello maxtschalabi,

Your table could be an antique or it could be a new reproduction coming out of China or the Philippines. An antique dealer would be able to provide potential clues for you and answer some of the questions you have about it. Regardless, it has been created to imitate the neoclassic style, which is evident in the marquetry wood top and the general shape of the table. The brass 'ormolu' also provides several neoclassical motifs; the gadrooning on the table apron, the caryatid legs, the floral swags and the sphinz/griffin with scrolls.

Best of luck!
Elizabeth Cabell, ASID, CID
Cabell Design Studio
September 13, 2013 at 11:50am      Thanked by maxtschalabi
felixgrantham
Doubtful an antique would be in that good of shape. Very likely a reproduction. Look at the bottom of the drawer to see if it has any markings that might help determine it's provinence.
September 13, 2013 at 12:05pm        Thanked by maxtschalabi
HI -- I pretty sure it's not an antique or even old for that matter . Looks the same as the furniture my east Indian friends have . So I think it is furniture that is made in India .
September 13, 2013 at 12:21pm        Thanked by maxtschalabi
It lookssss like the real deal to me from your pictures. I am going to take a guess at French Empire, middle 1800’s. Research that era and see if you can find something similar. Notice the swags and the brass mounts on the sides. The stretcher even has that brass vessel.

Hopefully, an expert will chime in with an opinion. If it is authentic, you have an unbelievable piece.
September 13, 2013 at 12:33pm      Thanked by maxtschalabi
Aggie dba Aggie Designs
Unless you are taking snapshots in the vaults of Louvre, this is in no way an authentic...
http://www.louvre.fr/en/oeuvre-notices/writing-table
September 13, 2013 at 12:46pm      Thanked by maxtschalabi
maxtschalabi
i had the table refurbished by a specialist. that's why it looks so new. i have read the comments and i am certain that this table is coming from either Italy or France. having said that I am going to dig into mid 1800. let hope I find something...
thank you all
maximillian
September 14, 2013 at 2:58am     
I hope you do, too. Sometimes you have a find.

For years, my grandfather had this bowl in his workshop…some kind of pottery, brownish, glazed with these yellow mustard squiggles. He threw nails and screws and his tobacco can in there, and surprisingly, it was never damaged. When I was cleaning out his house, I had an auctioneer come to see if there was anything of value. He took the brown dish, along with some other pieces. Do you know that the dish, called ‘slip ware”, fetched $2800.00 at auction?

Keep us posted and good luck.

Take a look at the Skinner Auction Appraisal site: http://www.skinnerinc.com/services/#tab2
September 14, 2013 at 9:54am   
need help identifying end table
Does anyone know the style, manufacturer, model and/or...
Need help identifying table material
What is the material for the table top? Love your...
Need help identifying table lamp
I found the attached lamp searching for ideas, however...
Great room is dark - should I paint ceiling?
My great room is large 15 X 20 but dark. My husband...
Help me find a dining fixture for vaulted ceiling
Please help me select a dining room light fixture for...
Help with sunroom off of kitchen
Hey guys!! We just bought a new house and I love the...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...