Shades of Sunday: Paint your home exterior lately?
Jeannie Nguyen
September 13, 2013 in Other
Happy Shades of Sunday, Houzzers!

We want to know if you have painted the outside of your home recently. Share your before and after photos and let us know why you decided to go with that particular color! Make sure you tweet along with us on Twitter too. :)

Twitter: @houzz https://twitter.com/houzz

dmu78
We updated our home's exterior in two stages. We chose a neutral color for the siding. We originally intended to add some sort of stone to the brick but in the end decided that painting it a darker, complimentary color would be ver effective and much less expensive. I shared many before and afters here: http://inspiredlivinghome.blogspot.com/2013/09/exterior-updates.html
September 15, 2013 at 9:04AM     
Janell Kaufman
Went from sunny yellow to bright blue. Here in the Pacific NW we enjoy bright colors to make up for the grey skies so much of the year.
September 15, 2013 at 9:37AM     
Janell Kaufman
This image shows a bit of the yellow on the front while the South side has gotten it's blue covering.
September 15, 2013 at 9:42AM     
solraven
@Janell, Very pretty!
September 15, 2013 at 10:07AM   
B Phelps
When we bought our house, it was off-white with gray trim. Very monotone. We like a Mediterranean design, so we chose a warm yellow and a chocolate brown that gave us a feeling of comfort and familiarity. The front door is a deep, warm blue.
September 15, 2013 at 9:49PM     
solraven
That's a lot of garage! Is there a house attached?
September 15, 2013 at 11:23PM   
shakerjaebs
We've been living in our 1925 house for almost one year. The exterior has been a bone of contention for our family - it just looked a little crazy! The board and batten was painted to resemble a Tudor (We live in a community filled with Tudors from the early 1900s) and the shutters were not original. We debate about the actual style of the house all the time - English Arts & Crafts, English Cottage, etc. We're just not sure. We are trying to stay true to the original features of the house, though.

We chose a gray with a dash of beige for the body and a very dark brown for the trim. The house has two different types of wood shake in addition to the board and batten.

We're still working on it -- as I type, my painter is outside. I'm posting a drawing done by the original owner/architect, then a before pic, and a current pic.
September 16, 2013 at 8:43AM     
schulzc532
We are still in the process of painting our 1838 victorian... My husband thought it would only take 2 weeks! Needless to say removing ALL the old blistered paint, sanding, repairing damage, caulk, primer, and two coats of Benjamin Moore Aura paint.... It's been a month and we are still on the front gable! :-) It should be beautiful when it's done and worth all the work. I've attached a before picture, an in progress shot, and a photo of where I got the idea for the colors.
September 16, 2013 at 11:01AM     
schulzc532
Inspiration shot
September 16, 2013 at 11:03AM     
Mia
Our shotgun went from boring to bright!
September 16, 2013 at 12:33PM     
armygirl1987
Front door for me
September 16, 2013 at 12:40PM     
Robin W
I need to paint the outside of the house, but it'll have to wait until next year. Silly Canadian winters coming up...

Now I need to decide on a color.
September 16, 2013 at 1:36PM     
gobbitt
We have a 1880's hip-roofed Victorian. Going to go from an icky no-colour-really light grey vinyl siding with standard ickier white aluminium trim to a cement-board plank in dark smoky blue (the colour of the Lake Ontario in the summer sun), Benjamin Moore 840 "Kensington". Trim: silver blue, BM 1619. And all the gingerbread in cream.
Wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with the prepainted cement-board product as well as with the paint-infused engineered wood plank siding? Some tell me to stay away from the former especially in our cold, wet geographical region.
September 16, 2013 at 3:51PM   
schulzc532
Gobbit -post pictures!!! :-) I've never used the cement board siding myself but several people on Lake Huron here in Michigan have it on their homes and it seems to hold up fine to me. No color fade or splitting that I can tell.
September 16, 2013 at 4:18PM     
Dawn Reeves
@gobbitt .... we used pre painted cement-board plank (Hardieboard specifically) on the top half of our home (first home pictured in these comments) and have been very happy with it. We are in the greater Chicago area and have very cold winters. It's held up well and has been on the home for five years now.
September 16, 2013 at 6:30PM   
pennsylvaniapatty
When we first bought it, the house was a dull tan. Now, people stop and take pictures- although it's not everyone's cup of tea.
September 16, 2013 at 6:37PM     
gobbitt
@Dawn Reeves: thank you. Your house looks very smart. Love the use of different exterior textures and materials!
Here are photos of my house: what it looks like now (yawn) and what I'd LIKE it to look like (yowzer!).
Love to hear if you all have any other ideas....
September 16, 2013 at 6:49PM     
B Phelps
Here's a panoramic image of our newly painted house. One of the challenges was finding colors that worked with the prevalent use of brick on the front of the home.
September 16, 2013 at 7:50PM     
schulzc532
@ Gobbitt- I love your house! The front porch details are beautiful!!! And I like your choice of those smokey blues for the final colors. I think it will give you the "wow" factor and still look sophisticated. I can just see red or pink roses in the front yard.
September 16, 2013 at 8:06PM   
solraven
Monterey, your home is a car lover's dream! Beautiful ranch. They are truly my favorite.
September 16, 2013 at 8:25PM   
B Phelps
@solraven, The original home owner was an auto repair shop owner. He installed a full size air compressor, steel workbench, and added the detached garage. It's 24 feet deep and includes a waiting room and workshop area totaling about 1300 sq ft.
September 16, 2013 at 8:49PM     
Linda
Here's before and after pictures of my front porch...after we took off layers and layers of paint, we found details we had never noticed before. The house had always been painted with just a single paint color in some version of tan but I decided I wanted a green door to tie in with the green tile roof. The painter said "just trust me..."He was right and I ended up with a two color paint job which does a great job of highlighting the trim work.
September 17, 2013 at 9:09AM     
gobbitt
@schulzc532: very kind but it's no painted lady. I'm trying to "tart it up" though with colour and trim.

Thank you for noticing the front porch! It used to also have a matching double storied side porch. Unfortunately, that was tied to the back of a pickup truck and pulled down the street by a disgruntled lover of a former lady owner. No idea what was done with it...

We will be trying to recreate some of this house's former looks over the next year or so.

Readers: can you recommend a roof tile colour to go with the blues please? Thanks.
September 17, 2013 at 2:39PM   
Linda
@gobbitt - Love the story about the porch...sounds like a good redneck stunt to me!

What colors appeal to you? I see most roofs tending to either browns or grays and I prefer gray. I'm not a fan of the colored roofs like blue, green, and dark red because you are stuck with that color scheme forever because not many people repaint and reroof at the same time

For the last two roofs I had put on, I went with a mid toned grayish brown color called weathered wood. One of the attractions of that choice was that there are granules of many different colors so lots of choices for paint and trim colors. Depending on colors, that roof might appear to be more gray or more brown. I had wanted a medium gray, but my choices were either light gray or a charcoal gray. My favorite colors tend to be blues, greens and grays so t deliberately stayed away from the orange/tan/brown mix which is quite popular in my area. I had one of those put on a while back because I was keeping the existing cream and dark brown paint colors. It looked nice, but just didn't appeal to me
September 17, 2013 at 5:15PM   
gobbitt
Hey@Linda - dark or light grey?
September 17, 2013 at 5:45PM   
Linda
Where are you located? Unless you're in a really warm climate or a desert, I would go for the darker color before going too light. There's a house near me that just had a really light gray roof put on a dark red brick house...it just doesn't look "right' to my eye. My neighbor has a large 2 story Victorian done in a slightly brighter shade of blue than your inspiration picture and he has a dark charcoal gray roof. A strong color on the house needs a balanced color for the roof otherwise, the roof ends up looking like a huge awkward piece of trim.

My best advice for choosing a roof is the same as for choosing paint colors...drive around the neighborhood and see what catches your eye. Don't just look for what you like, also look for houses you don't like so you know what combinations to avoid. I'm often found wandering the neighborhood checking out architectural details and trying to determine why some combinations make one house appealing but similar features used in different ways just don't work on other houses
September 17, 2013 at 7:41PM     
gobbitt
Linda, you're probably correct in that a darker grey would look better. What I would LOVE is a dark grey metal roof tile but that increases the cost of our reno by 75,000 dollars. Our summers are pretty hot, so I DO wonder about cooling costs, but, yes, I can see a dark grey going quite well with the smokey blues. We are near Lake Ontario in Ontario.
September 18, 2013 at 11:31AM   
tsc1111
I am smack dab in the middle of doing it. Only have 2 weeks to finalzie colors before painters come. Here are the befores. I hate choosing colors. I'll agonize for weeks on this!
September 22, 2013 at 9:04AM     
tsc1111
@dmu78 Amazing transformation. Would love to know what colors you used on the exterior.
September 22, 2013 at 9:08AM   
Dawn Reeves
@tsc1111, I'm happy to share the colors. However, I'm out of town and don't have access to them at th moment. I will have to get back to you later this week!
September 22, 2013 at 7:30PM     
Dawn Reeves
I must have to user IDs, one o lone and one on my iPad app. Dawn Reeves = dmu78!
September 22, 2013 at 7:31PM     
tsc1111
Hi @dmu78 @Dawn Reeves sorry to bug you, was curious if you were back :) Sorry, snow is coming soon and I need to make some decisions!
September 29, 2013 at 6:49AM   
Dawn Reeves
@tsc1111, I'm stopping at Benjamin Moore today for samples. I will get the color values, one of the colors was custom.....
October 1, 2013 at 8:56AM   
tsc1111
@Dawn Reeves Oh, don't go to all that trouble! I was interested in the siding color. Not a big deal. I can take the pic to my store. I just thought if you had it handy!
October 1, 2013 at 9:03AM   
Dawn Reeves
It wasn't trouble at all. I was there picking up samples for a client. All my purchases r in their Yates so it took less than a minute. The siding color is Benjamin Moore river gorge gray, 1537.
October 1, 2013 at 11:03AM   
tammytalbot
What can I do to make my home look updated? I would like southern traditional/modern ideas. Thank you.
July 26, 2014 at 9:51AM   
Shades of Sunday: Share your Paint Makeovers
Happy Shades of Sunday, Houzzers! Today is going...
Shades of Sunday: To Dark Paint or Not to Dark Paint?
Happy Shades of Sunday, Houzzers! Let's jump right...
Shades of Sunday: Need help deciding a paint color?
Happy Sunday, Houzzers! Our daily Twitter themes continue...
Shades of Sunday: Have you used Nontoxic Paint?
Hey Houzzers, how has your holiday weekend been? Hopefully...
Shades of Sunday: Too Many Paint Chip Samples Leftover?
Feeling the heat lately? Grab a cold drink and join...
Re-do Seat Cushion
I just bought this chair on Craigslist. I love the...
Keeping the Utility Bills on the down-low
Imagine a world where your rent included payment for...
Most hideous gift you've received for your house?
Friends and family always have the best intentions,...
Bedroom remodel
Hi, need ideas for this room. We're keeping the floor...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...