Hate exterior of house! Please help
swooden
We recently purchased this house and are almost finished with the interior remodel. Now, I need ideas for the outside. The exterior of the house is missing something. I would like to add some charm and curb appeal. The landscaping is awful. At this point, I want to rip out everything. I like the red tree but unfortunately it is blocking the front door which i don't like. Not sure where to start or who to call for help. Any help from the Houzz community would be appreciated. Thanks, Stacey
mmilos
I think the best money spent is to hire a local landscape designer to draw up a professional plan and provide a plant list that's suitable for your area.

Painting the siding a darker color (less contrast with the brick), perhaps a greenish gray or rusty red, but complements the brick and roof will help make the house look less chopped up and more cohesive.

Thin out the plantings near your front porch and give focus to your front door.
2 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 10:07AM
swooden
Thank you for the advice. Painting the siding is an interesting idea. I had thought about bricking the entire front but that would probably get expensive.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 10:24AM
jroll2lo
How about adding matching shutters to the windows without shutters? I agree with you about the red tree. I had a similar situation where the previous owner had a young pine tree blocking the front door. Good luck with your renovations!
1 Like   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 10:38AM
In Two Design
I agree about balancing the front of the house by adding shutters to the windows without. I would also consider having the tree moved off to the right and more forward so that its not blocking the front door. Adding a pop of color to the front door, if the style of the door allows, would add some life. And again, adding additional landscaping to add color would work well.
2 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 10:50AM
sellaginella
If you like the red tree you could uproot it using the root ball system and plant it where you want. Best to do that during the rainy season. Judging from where the mail box is, the extent of garden is not that much. It is not a difficult task to get your garden going. Some rough ideas which will not take that much effort.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 10:54AM
icesk8r
I think the other windows need some kind of shutter, or even window boxes perhaps, to balance it out. The landscaping needs to be cleaned up but nothing terribly involved I don't think.
1 Like   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 10:56AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
It's all off balance .I have always wondered what are they thinking when they select material like this for a home . Nothing wrong with the materials just how they used it.No coordination weighs to the right.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 11:07AM
sellaginella
Instead of hating, you will love your exterior if you can get something like this done to cheer you up.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 11:18AM
Dar Eckert
I think this is intended to look like Georgetown townhouses. I have seen similar style in apartment buildings in our area. As far as your façade, I would add a pergola over the garage and add window boxes under the upper and lower windows on the right in the photo. Painting the siding sage green would look very nice. My idea is to to continue the townhouse idea and treat the different sections of the house in complementing but different details.

Here's an example of Georgetown townhouses I'm sure there are better examples but you get the idea.

Hemingway's Cottage
Duke Street, Alexandria
2 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 12:29PM
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I think your house is lovely but do like your idea of making it all brick. Why not just get some estimates on doing this ? Another idea is to paint the siding a blue gray as in the photo below. I like the windows without the shudders ( :-) better. I cannot see the entrance due to the red tree and would suggest that you have it transplanted to another area. I can barely make out evergreen shrubs near the foundation. CanFront Entrances you make a better photo after and if you move the small tree ?Magnolia Residence 03
2 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 1:14PM
The Color People
it seems like so many people have issues with the looks of a house that is painted like yours. It has a white part and a dark part. It can never look whole or beautiful because it is cut in half. Paint the siding a mid-tone to dark color that goes well with the tones in the brick. Don't worry about matching the brick color because you never will. Leave all the trim and porch white- or better yet off white to eliminate the strong contrast the white creates. Paint the garage door the siding color too. Shutters and front door the same color to balance the house. Color can really be your choice because so many color go with this brick, but if you keep the black that is fine. Then you can address the landscaping but the real problem is that you house is a layer cake.
2 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 2:17PM
echoblack
I think making it all brick, or all siding would make the outside nice. Same with the trim and shutters. I think it has a great potential, but there are to many different things going on.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 2:28PM
leelee
Wood shingles over the right part of the house where the white is now. Replace the black shutters with wood the color of the shingles. The shutters need to be wider than the one there now. Cut down the tree in front of the door.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 2:45PM
leelee
Paint the garage door dark grey to make it recede. Here are the type of shingles that would look nice.
1 Like   Thanked by swooden    September 13, 2013 at 3:01PM
Dar Eckert
I think the roofline bothers me the most. There should be an additional gable over the window above the door. That would balance the roofline. Three small gables on one side would balance the large one on the other.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 14, 2013 at 7:09AM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
If your ready for your new look on your home give us a call were open.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 14, 2013 at 1:16PM
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
The drawings above are just samples of what can be done in a 2D drawing as are the one below .
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 15, 2013 at 11:36AM
Dar Eckert
Here's what it could look like with an additional gable.
1 Like   Thanked by swooden    September 16, 2013 at 6:58AM
Tasha Marie
Wow! If you are like me than a lot of these responses are not going to work because they are WAY out of my budget! I have a great home that needs a lot of curb/color appeal which I am also working on and I too will post on here. I agree with one The Color Peoples post... PAINT! You can really make a difference with this home by simply painting your siding. If that is a lot to ask right now due to money or time then I say, pull ou that bush and add in some colorful flowers and perhaps shutter all of the windows as others have suggested but maybe black isnt the right color...? Your home has potential... I just dont know your budget. I LOVE to look through Pinterest to get ideas. IT REALLY HELPS! Others have such good thoughts that are not expensive.
1 Like   Thanked by swooden    September 16, 2013 at 7:20AM
lucindalane
I agree with Dar. I don't think that your house is going to look balanced as long as there is that one gable over that one window in the middle. Now, you could either add another gable like Dar has shown, or have the other gable removed. I have no idea whether one would be more expensive than the other, but both would require some adjustment to the roof and trying to match the shingles, if that's possible-and I'm sure someone out here can tell you more about the technical side of that. I don't think I'd add any shutters, as that would only emphasize the imbalance more, I believe. You can paint the house a darker color, and that will help camouflage it, but only up to a point.
It may only be possible right now to do the camouflage, if your budget doesn't allow for any further adjustments, but it will be a big plus for the outside appearance if you can eventually tackle the problem.
0 Likes   Thanked by swooden    September 16, 2013 at 7:37PM
nwduck
Also agree with Dar on the middle section roof line. I'd do whichever was less expensive (which I think may be taking off the single gable in the midsection). That may actually tie in more with the shed roof line of the porch. The red tree probably looked cute when it was smaller, and more "airy". As a first run, I'd try pruning it to open it up more, so it looks less like a shrub...rather like you see Japanese maples...if that's appropriate for the type of tree. If that didn't help, just take it out. Moving it might be more expensive than purchasing a different tree for a revamped landscape. I'd focus on making the area around the porch a colorful, inviting landscape, painting the door and adding accessories as you like.
1 Like   Thanked by swooden    September 16, 2013 at 8:17PM
LOVE the house HATE the exterior color.
Currently, the house has a brown roof (not changing...
dcapellan
Please, please, please help me paint the exterior of this house.
The house is getting new windows stark white. The color...
danalawson
Help!! I hate the front exterior of our new home!!
We had planned on building a new custom home in the...
myleemoo2
need help with exterior facelift - I HATE this brick color!
I am looking to update the "curb appeal" of my home...
gardyj
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows
Family Room
I need guidance on wall art, area rug, and throw pillows....
jschlemm
how to keep down dust in my renovations?
Does any one have any advice as we are living in through...
deezerdee
Need help deciding where to locate a gas log fireplace.
I am thinking either at the very end of the house in...
ltrnmom
Need Ideas
I would like to get ideas for a glass block walk in...
fisherlady53