Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: What would you do with $10,000?

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
If you had $10,000 to spend on your home, what would you spend it on?

Vote and tell us what you would add to your home. To enter the drawing for a pair of your very own Houzz slippers, post a comment with the Top 3 changes you'd like to make in your home and you could win a pair of slippers sent right to your door!

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 9/22/13. One winner will be drawn at random.

Comments (966)

• Lyone Fein
    7 years ago

1. Have the wood floors refinished.

2. Deal with the deteriorating mortar in the basement walls.

3. Waterproof the basement walls and floor.

• User
    7 years ago

Landscaping. My entire rear garden needs leveling, sod , trees pruned and gardens planted. Not to mention fill dirt around the new buried pool, replacing the screen on the screened porch etc. etc. etc.

• Ben Hart
    7 years ago

Finish the main floor (new hardwood floors, tear out the mantle around the chimney, patch, repair, and paint).

• J.M. Downey
    7 years ago

Complete basement renovations.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Redo my front entrance: change the huge door, redo the balcony, stairs and ramps, plant some small trees.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Redo my front entrance: change the huge door, redo the balcony, stairs and ramps, plant some small trees.

• PRO
    Intex Design and Construction
    7 years ago

We may be a little biased since we do construct luxury pools, but the indoor soaking tub is essential after a long day on the job site! So many great designs coming out of indoor pools and residential spa like bathrooms.

• Bev
    7 years ago

Definitely renovate the bathroom!

• PRO
    Studio H2O
    7 years ago

Renovate the bathroom with a soaking tub! This was the bathroom remodel in the "Butterfly House" (Los Angeles)

@SH2oDesign
    www.studio-h2o.com

The Butterfly House · More Info

• Jenny Chism
    7 years ago
    I would finish the details on my home... paint the porch and trim, add rock to the drive and landscape, complete the new room trim, replace the garage door.
  • User
    7 years ago

donate to charity to bring smiles across the way ,priceless

• PRO
    The Lighthouse Candle
    7 years ago
    I would buy a painting either by John Shinnors or two Brian McMahon
  • PRO
    The Lighthouse Candle
    7 years ago
    I would buy a painting by either John Shinnors or Brian McMahon...probably 10000$ would only buy a Brian McMahon
  • mjkjrobinson
    7 years ago

I would fix the roof and deck!

• templeofm
    7 years ago

I'm not sure how far 10000 would go, but I would buy replace a lot of my furniture, buy a new bed, and paint my upstairs living room. I would hire an interior decorator to help me make some decisions.

• ozhaawa
    7 years ago

new wood floors ,wiring,windows fix basement so will not leak do lot work out side also

• jerimcclure
    7 years ago

enlarge mudroom and laundry room

• Susan Nordberg
    7 years ago

Our deck needs some rethinking and the surrounding plantings. If there was any money left, a comprehensive design of the garden would be the icing on the top!

• Lynne
    7 years ago

I recently inherited my parents' home, and am currently remodeling the entire interior. It is a costly project, more than I expected, so unfortunately I do not have the funds to touch the outside. If I had an extra $10,000,00, I would love to paint the wood siding, and beef up the window trim to give it more emphasis. Then, if I could still afford it, I would love to enhance the hardscape; re-do the path to the front door, maybe with flagstone, and add some window boxes. Then, maybe even spiff up the back concrete patio with brick. That would be perfection!

• PRO
    The Joshua Tree Vanities
    7 years ago

Add Hardwood Floors -or- Renovate a Bathroom

• mjkjrobinson
    7 years ago

I need to fix my roof!!!

• kyethra
    7 years ago
    10k won't do it for the kitchen I want, but it will put in a patio and I could at least get part of the yard leveled, if we stay here. But then a patio/floating deck would be good if we move. And any left can go to a new patio door.
  • User
    7 years ago
    I would decorate my living room. It is very plain right now. I have so many ideas and I want it to be a space that I want to spend time in.
  • Leslie Davis
    7 years ago

I would move our laundry from the unfinished basement to the main level of our home.

• User
    7 years ago

New, quality windows.

• downtheshore
    7 years ago

re-imagine undersized front & rear porticos OR hardwood flooring for second floor OR replace end-of-life roof with a cool roof

• zandjtmom
    5 years ago

Good fences make good neighbor.

• zandjtmom
    5 years ago

Good fences make good neighbors.

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    Epic hot tub setup
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    5 years ago

Take a nice vacation.

• User
    5 years ago
    There’s always so much I’d like to do. Not sure what the ultimate decision would be but:

1. Paint den bookshelves, new couch, side table, window treatment.

2. Pergola for back deck. The type with movable louvers. Some new outdoor furniture.

3. Update of bathroom
  • diyher
    5 years ago

Andrea, when I saw your comment, I thought wait, did I already post a comment here, because that is what I want to do next, then I saw your name as the poster and not me lol

• Susan Nordberg
    5 years ago

Re-do the front steps to the house.

Take off the old deck and plan a great one with tiers.

Hire a landscape architect and go through with the plans.

Create a small walkway from the driveway to the deck in the backyard.

• Mary
    5 years ago

Professional cleaning top to bottom, remove popcorn ceiling, organize the closets, and paint. Could I do all this myself and for a lot less? Absolutely. Am I going to? Probably not.

• HU-148311963
    5 years ago

House recently renovated but I would replace the roof and maybe paint interior of garage.

• Donna Pollock
    5 years ago
    I would take up the carpeting and add wood flooring. Then I would redecorate my living room with new furniture and paint, etc. And if anything was left, the dining room would be next.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    5 1/2 years. That’s a lot of slippers. And you may have collected a lot of addresses. But not mine.
  • Elaine Ricci
    5 years ago
    Revamp landscaping, replace porch steps, level floors, replace vinyl flooring in kitchen and master bathroom with ceramic tile.
  • Elaine Ricci
    5 years ago
    Also change front walkway from brick to stone, and edge out back patio with stone.
  • pennycollins
    5 years ago
    New Windows and french door to sunroom
  • juliA
    5 years ago

put it up for a roof replacement

• PRO
    Creative Design Cabinetry
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Replace cabinets before the counter tops. Almost weekly i see or get a call about fixing, painting, refacing some junk cabinets locked in with new counter tops.

• PRO
    essentials inside
    5 years ago

Master Bedroom Bathroom Remodel

• sealavender
    4 years ago

1) Renovate hall bathroom; I despise the desert blush tile, tub, and sink

2) hardwood floors - maybe LVP in kitchen

3) get rid of remaining popcorn ceilings in bedrooms 2 & 3

• mjkjrobinson
    4 years ago

Hey my husband did our roof, just awesome! Now onto the kitchen!

• sainsworth3
    4 years ago

Redo my kitchen cabinets

• kc10
    4 years ago
    I would have a small deck built to give my parents safe, easy access to the outdoors, and expand my own deck with any leftover funds.
  • tripledip3
    4 years ago

I would rip up all the carpet and the builder-grade tile and replace with wood-look porcelain tile. Our humid climate makes hardwood floors iffy, plus I like being able to mop tile and keep it really clean since we have pets.

• Michelle Gable
    4 years ago

I would love to reside our home. It’s the original clapboard from 1917 and its time has come. I want to restore the picture perfection while increasing its efficiency.

• PRO
    Cabinetry by Cales, Inc.
    4 years ago

Hi Michelle,

Are you looking to remodel your kitchen?