How to remove this
prettydarncute
Suggestions on remove this trim. It's not paper, I have no idea what was used to apply this. It is raised off the wall. I want to repaint the bathroom.
You could rent a power sanders, lowes, home depot. and sand it off it will be messy. Be careful it might ruin walls. Do it lightly.
1 Like   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 13, 2013 at 3:34PM
Also see if you can wet it down and scrape off?
prettydarncute
Someone told me to use laundry softener like downey. Ever hear of this?
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 4:14PM
ReSquare Architecture + Construction
Hard to tell in the photo, but before you start on it with a sander, double check that it's not actual gold leaf...
3 Likes   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 13, 2013 at 4:14PM
Danielle B
This is raised stenciling. See instructions for removal at the following site: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-raised-painted-stencil-pattern-walls-42705.html
7 Likes   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 13, 2013 at 4:20PM
HI -- Yes, it is a kind of paper -- vinyl based - called anaglyptic - it was applied with wallpaper paste ( I hope ) and the a fuax painting technique and glaze done over . If you score the edge with a straight edge , you should be able to pull it off . Then wash the glue residue off with some liquid fabric softener in very warm water . Good Luck -- lets us know how it turns out .
1 Like   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 13, 2013 at 4:35PM
prettydarncute
I'm going to tackle this in the next couple of days. Thank you so much.
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 4:45PM
Keep us posted! Would love to hear how it goes.
1 Like   September 13, 2013 at 4:57PM
Barnhart Gallery
Looks to me like a raised stencil rather than anaglypta, which would have been a lot easier to remove. It would have been created using a dimensional stencil, troweled over with plaster or joint compound.

It's a bit gaudy with the red, but there's no way you could live with it, perhaps with another fresh color? And it's too low on the wall to add crown. I clicked on Danielle's link, but it's just for sanding down the light outline of a painted stencil, not dimensional ones. Hmm...
4 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 5:38PM
diyher
I was told the same for taking off wallpaper. I wish I knew it before I wasted at least 3 different bottles of wall paper remover. Warm to hot water with liquid fabric softener worked wonders
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 5:39PM
Tammy Sprinkle
This is definitely a raised stencil. I would follow the above instructions for removal provided by Danielle B
2 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 7:32PM
ytnty
Laundry detergent is only for wallpaper it's 50/50 detetgent and water.
0 Likes   September 13, 2013 at 10:49PM
Angel18432
If you are going to paint the bathroom why not try painting over it with the color you are using for walls, it may be a nice feature. If you don't like it, then remove. Really nothing lost. You will probably have to do some kind of primer first.
7 Likes   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 14, 2013 at 11:47AM
lucianpoulet
I totally agree with Angel18432. I think the raised stencil painted over with an eggshell finish (after priming) in the same colour as the rest of the wall should give you a very interesting detail. Good luck!
3 Likes   September 14, 2013 at 4:24PM
MS Colours Inc
You will need a power sander to cut the pattern down. You will also have to do some skimming with sheet rock mud. You may need to call a professional in your area to help you.
3 Likes   September 14, 2013 at 9:15PM
gailjoy
Have you considered painting over the top of it? My daughter did this recently with a whole room of embossed wallpaper.... looks really lovely.... she just did white but because of the texture the walls look lovely and soft.
ALTERNATIVELY as suggested try painting the rest of the walls with a softer colour - you might enjoy the look???
1 Like   September 15, 2013 at 5:11AM
Sandra Guistwhite
Please do not sand anything you can't identify! If you don't know what it is or what it has been painted with, it could contain lead or other harmful materials- wet removal is the safest DIY option
4 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 6:58AM
ciscomom
I googled "how remove raised plaster stencil" and got some answers, some of them from the ehow site. On my e-reader so I have no clue how to copy/paste the actual link.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 7:28AM
leelee
Don't sand--you'll be breathing in specks of who knows what...plus getting it on your skin.
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 7:38AM
MS Colours Inc
How do you remove raised plaster by wetting it. What chemicals makes this a safe process?
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 10:39AM
katinahat
it appears to be relatively water resistant as is. i would suggest 'breaking' the finish with a sanding block and then applying water to soften. when it softens use something large like a metal ruler or the edge of a carpenters square to scrape off the excess. this will help maintain the integrity of the wallboard.
is you soak it AFTER you've broken the paper finish on the wallboard, the water will soak the plaster and cause the paper to ripple. then you'll be looking at new wallboard!
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 11:05AM
MS Colours Inc
If you tear the sheetrock seal it up and skim it out. No need to replace wall board
1 Like   September 15, 2013 at 1:22PM
Diana Kropka
It looks like wall mud that was screed over a stencil and painted. If you can scape the surface up, you may can moisten it and scape it off without messing up the Sheetrock. A few gouges can be smoothed over with fresh mud and sanded smooth.
2 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 5:30PM
katinahat
MS your comment is correct. i was referring to the application of water to the broken 'seal' --voice of experience, i'm afraid. remember the foil wallpaper from the early 80's? that was NOT coming off for anybody--probably not primed or painted underneath. i actually had 'baggy' drywall (paper) :)
0 Likes   September 15, 2013 at 10:06PM
Sara Parker
I'd keep it at least until you find out what it is...a Unique feature for your house! Paint the walls a softer colour.
2 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 5:41AM
MS Colours Inc
There is a product called Gardz that will seal up torn sheetrock so you can skim it without it bubbling up.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 7:16AM
Renate Ruby Design
I agree that it's some kind of raised stencil and it looks like faux gold leaf over the top. Someone was "very creative" sometime in the 1990s. ;-)

I think the best idea is to have a drywall contractor come in and remove the top 24" of drywall, patch it, then repaint. It won't take them long. Sometimes the demo then rebuild technique which seems so counter intuitive to those not in the biz is the easiest way to go.
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 10:24AM
5 Pebbles, llc
We had [beautiful] fish stickers on our kid's bathroom walls when we moved in. In the end it was easier to replace the wallboard. I've seen contractors pop up wallboard in what seemed like minutes and the the tape joints are invisible when they are done. You might end up saving yourself a lot of time and frustration having someone come in.
1 Like   September 17, 2013 at 8:18AM
johsmi
I think it is interesting..why not just paint it the same color as the rest of the wall and move on? Try that first, you may like it.
2 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 6:39AM
Mark Wagila
I used a good heat gun to soften the material and it scraped off quite easily.
1 Like   September 18, 2013 at 7:40AM
inabunker
Wow, I would keep it and paint over it. It's really cool looking.
3 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 8:28AM
robinbrady10
I would just paint over it, I don't like the gold. But I think it would still be nice painted another color.
2 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 9:13AM
soozmacrae
Yes I would paint over it too. All the same colour walls too. See what its like then think about removing it if you still really don't like it.
1 Like   September 18, 2013 at 1:59PM
Alison Inge
If that doesn't work try removing the wall and melting it down into a gold chain Rapunzel style :D
1 Like   September 18, 2013 at 2:03PM
Alison Inge
Wrong fairytale Rumpelstiltskin style lol XD
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 2:05PM
It may be a product called “gilded cloth”…very in and very expensive.

What if you leave the gilding and paint the faux red treatment?

I think it is gorgeous. Add a fancy gold mirror…..

2 Likes   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 18, 2013 at 2:10PM
halleycomet
Love these things! We have an odd old "paneling" made out of--well--not wood; not the old faux wood paneling--maybe nuclear waste it IS that ugly! Was hoping this was the same thing! LOL!!!

And beware the new WALL DECOR that is stick on with NO sticky back---the cling kind--we discovered last night that a LARGE wall calendar was let our grand daughter put up in our hallway outside of her room will now NOT come down--we finally managed to get a corner up and the PAINT came off the wall! WE were not really planning to paint right this minute so I guess we have a perpetual calendar for a while longer!!!!
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 10:30PM
kathleen raeymaekers
I think if you would paint it all the same colour, it would even look pretty
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 7:39AM
nanalinny
Looks like it could be plaster moulding. Kinda like a stencil with plaster piled on top, then the stencil lifted straight off. Could you possibly like it it just painted over? Other choice is to sand it all off. Yes, lots of plaster dust.
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 5:38PM
Sharon Ullman
WOW! I love it and would leave it, but not with the red color they chose, would be gorgeous with a pale color or even pale cream.
0 Likes   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 22, 2013 at 8:09AM
dollights
I agree with ... iplay10s ... "Very in and Very Expensive".
Prime it and paint your walls a nice soft color ... That's it ... Wish I lhad it.
1 Like   Thanked by prettydarncute    September 22, 2013 at 8:46AM
rredpenn
Does my backsplash go ok with paint color
Hi Houzzers, I chose 12 of these flower square tiles...
Melissa Felber
I misjudged furniture I bought online and can't return it...Help!
Can you suggest a way to recoup my investment? I purchased...
peggyjackson3
Help - I cant decide which kitchen to get- traditional or modern
I have a huge dilemma I love 2 kitchen designs for...
Faye Bentley
Help with my basement
I recently purchased a custom couch. While I measured...
invitingspace