Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myranj

Need ideas for counter stools

Myra Jung
10 years ago
I am having trouble deciding on and finding counter stools for my island. This is my main seating area as we won't have a table. It's a small house with limited space. We have a 2 year old so safety is an issue and would like stools with a back. I am thinking something in fabric or I even like seagrass but not sure if that works. Budget is an issue as well...Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (73)

• Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi myranj, very pretty kitchen -- very clean and simple design. Nice ! :)
    Myra Jung thanked Ed
  • mveasey
    10 years ago
    Here a few options:
    Glenn barstool from Ikea, could perhaps even be spraypainted orange?
    Phoenix barstool from CB2, hopefully still available...
    Emco navy barstool...
    Good luck - awesome kitchen!
    Myra Jung thanked mveasey
  • yonube
    10 years ago
    Needs color. It will tie the Orange in the backsplash.
  • Side3
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Very nice kitchen! I just did a backpainted glass backsplash in my kitchen in a green metallic paint and I love it, so easy to clean. A local glass company can template it for you and you can use Glassprimer.com on the surface to prepare it for the paint. You need starfire glass ( low-iron) for the truest color. The paint must be urethane based to bond to the glass, Sherwin-Williams can color match anything for you. The cost goes up the more things that need to be done to the glass: tempering if its behind a cook top, any holes that need to be put in for outlets or attachment of your hood and the polishing of the edges. It installs easily with neutral cure sealant. Choose a color to pull from the granite and it will enhance the granite, not fight for attention. I did mine for $750.
    Myra Jung thanked Side3
  • Myra Jung
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    eewest, our contractor had a piece of glass cut out and the back was painted. I'm sure a tile layer could do it as well. You can paint it any colour and its easy to clean. It turned out great!
  • Myra Jung
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Darzy, we unfortunately don't have the space for even a small table although I love that dining set.
  • tanyaoz
    10 years ago
    Whatever you choose make sure they are the right height to sit comfortably under what appears to be your standard counter height. It drives me crazy when people use bar height stools! I can recommend Thonet square bar stools which are available in 3 different heights and 3 different stains. They do not have a back but are extremely sturdy and at 61cm, not too high off the ground in case of falls. Mine are over 10 years old and I still love them.
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    10 years ago
    Yes - counter height stools are what you should search for rather than bar stools.
  • sellaginella
    10 years ago
    The image is from a home built in Vancouver, Canada. I am afraid the source isn't given as regards supplier of furniture......

But already many other places would have copied this design or something similar (they always do)and you could check with furniture suppliers closest to your area. Wish I could have helped you more. The matching furniture for the living room also given below.
    Myra Jung thanked sellaginella
  • Side3
    10 years ago
    These would look good too, from Wayfair, about $400 each.
    Myra Jung thanked Side3
  • Gretchen
    10 years ago
    How about the vapor barstool from cb2? Easy to clean and comfortable. Under $200.
    Myra Jung thanked Gretchen
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I think with budget an issue and a 2 year old I would not put a child on a barstool that high for safety issue. I think I would try to find something small at ikea that you can use until he is a bit older.
  • Myra Jung thanked Amy Stanley
  • Side3
    10 years ago
    Amy, those are perfect, Great! Price!
  • imhofan
    10 years ago
    I would keep the 2 yr old in high chair until safe enough for counter stool. Recommend buying 5 stools if this is your primary eating....looks like you have room. Many great options above... I like the orange leather ones and also your idea of seagrass; but consider challenges of cleaning squished mac n cheese out of seagrass...:) Another nice color option would be grey; compliments the orange and nice with your floors and stainless.
    Myra Jung thanked imhofan
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I forgot to say that is a beautiful kitchen...
    Myra Jung thanked armygirl1987
  • tanyaoz
    10 years ago
    I think your kitchen looks fab too! I have orange as an accent in my kitchen/family room. It is quite difficult getting the tones to match so I think orange stools could be tricky and a bit of an overload. I think a bold choice e.g. aqua would add a very modern, eclectic touch. A timber framed giant round clock and some black and white chevron somewhere (fruit bowl? towels?) are the other pieces I would throw into the mix.
    Myra Jung thanked tanyaoz
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Ikea has the best price. And all you want. I like the modern lines stools have with chrome legs which would tie in your lk plus stainless appl. If they have in orange even better. Can't beat the $89.00 price. How many do you need?
    Myra Jung thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • louiselaprade
    10 years ago
    We have 3 leather stools at our island. On a cylinder pump to lower the seating height, with high backs. They are very comfortable (bought at Structube Canada). However, my rant would be that the base in in chrome and not brushed stainless steel and as soon as there is dust on it, you see it and it drives me crazy. Next time we buy new ones, they will probably be leather as this is so great to wash (better than fabric), however I would not go with that big base, I would rather buy those similar to those they have at IKEA. Try them out as many, specially those in acrylic/plastic, you tend to just slide on them, so annoying and not great with kids.
    Myra Jung thanked louiselaprade
  • Myra Jung
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was thinking of doing something bold like teal/aqua but the hubby is not sold on that. The reason for the back on the counter stools is so I can attach my sons portable highchair on it. Some great ideas, thanks all!
  • terrryg
    10 years ago
    I know you said you were short on space but when I thought of the little one I pictured this with a small table in front of it.
    Myra Jung thanked terrryg
  • kikiandkyle
    10 years ago
    I got the Carey Tobacco wooden stools from Target, my kids sit on them every day, one of them is only 3 so he is still a messy eater. I am always scrubbing them, we previously had a dining table and chair set with upholstered seats and the fabric was destroyed so quickly from all the cleaning. I wouldn't do wicker either for the same reason.
    Myra Jung thanked kikiandkyle
  • kikiandkyle
    10 years ago
    I forgot to add that they're doing them in several colors online, and they've held up for almost 2 years so far.
    Myra Jung thanked kikiandkyle
  • katedadams
    10 years ago
    Your post caught my eye, b/c I was in the same boat recently (two year old, tiny house, also our only seating). I bought these stools on Overstock:
    http://www.overstock.com/#/6751364/product.html
    Haha, the color would prob be too much with your orange (which I love!), but they come in quite a few colors AND stainless (that'd be my bet for you). These are very sturdy--heavy enough that they don't budge when my son climbs them, but easy enough for me to move. They wipe down beautifully, have no signs of damage from having cars and trains driven on them, AND everyone that sits in them comments on how comfortable they are! I also think they'd look great in your modern vintage kitchen.
    Myra Jung thanked katedadams
  • Myra Jung
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Katedadams, I've been wondering how those stools were. Glad you recommend them!
  • PRO
    mdlang
    10 years ago
    So I only quickly scanned the other comments but just in case no one else has mentioned it: It looks like your counters are 36" high so be sure to buy stools that are only 24" high to the top of the seat. (not 30"h...they won't leave enough space for your legs and you have to bend over so far to eat.) Have fun! You have a great space there!!
    Myra Jung thanked mdlang
  • ljfq
    10 years ago
    I liked that suggestion of "mix and match"! The barstools (vintage? repurposed?) could be a great focal point for the whole area and would allow you to introduce some pattern (fabric seats for the less sloppy eaters?), texture, etc. One caveat not mentioned: some swivel stools can be dangerous to little fingers.
    Myra Jung thanked ljfq
  • healthylungs
    10 years ago
    Pier one has a nice selection in all colors, washable, with backs. And you can sit in them to see if you like them.
    Myra Jung thanked healthylungs
  • Debbie
    10 years ago
    Not sure if having more children---but this is what I would use, even though he's 2, if they are young and you need them to sit quietly/safely: Inglesina 2013 Fast Table Chair---found at amazon.com...they come in many colors! (Fuchsia, lime green, orange, red, blue, black and more)...and: Regalo Easy Diner Portable High Chair , in Navy, also found at amazon.com ...hope this helps.
    Myra Jung thanked Debbie
  • PRO
    Basin Custom
    10 years ago
    We sell some pretty cool looking bar stools that i think would look really great in your kitchen! Check out these pictures of our boiler bar stool. Very sturdy metal and each rivet is hand welded! Hope you like them!
    Myra Jung thanked Basin Custom
  • Janet Greenwood
    10 years ago
    We have a Pool Table/Bar stool gallery close by. We went in and sat in all the different chairs. I believe we got Pastel Minson stools. Ours don't have arms but most stools can be ordered with or without arms and in any height. I love the open back and the cushion seat that can easily be reupholstered (easy easy!) Our stools are 13 years old and like new - not even a chip in the powder coat. Very stable - have held kids for years. So glad we went with comfort and quality - I'll never give these up and want 2 swiveling lower ones for my dinning room table! Here is a pic of one like mine, but with arms.
    Myra Jung thanked Janet Greenwood
  • Danielle Dehmler-Buckley
    10 years ago
    We bought 6 of these stools from Overstock 2.5 years ago and are so happy with how they've held up. We have two kids, have had countless adults of all sizes sit on them and have put them through the ringer. They're comfortable and sturdy, too. Good luck! http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Wasatch-Burnt-Red-Leather-Barstools-Set-of-2/1651547/product.html
    Myra Jung thanked Danielle Dehmler-Buckley
  • mamadubbs
    10 years ago
    Was reading through your post and went to Google to search for a toddler safe bar stool when I came across this article:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/blogs/theycallmemommy/toddler-safety-avoiding-a-horrible-accident

Just something to keep in mind. Your kitchen is beautiful by the way!
    Myra Jung thanked mamadubbs
  • A&R bought a ranch
    10 years ago
    I have 4 of these in black, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Modern-Bar-Stools-PU-Leather-Home-Decor-Trieste-/251322929062?pt=US_Bar_Stools&var=550272822172&hash=item3a84038fa6. They do swivel, are adjustable and the cushioning is thick and very comfortable to sit on for long periods. They also have a very similar style with arms.
    Myra Jung thanked A&R bought a ranch
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    10 years ago
    Sooooooo....which stools did you select?
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Check these out:
    http://www.onlyswivelstools.com/tpo-tem9014.html

Here are some I think will go with your counter: Catalina, Newport and Lagunas. You have a choice of many colors and finishes and with and without arms. I can see one with arms in the middle for your child and armless ones for you and your husband on either side.

I am not able to insert a pic on my
    iPhone.
    Myra Jung thanked Rosanne
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Restoration hardware, go industrial. In gun metal. See on line.
    Myra Jung thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Myra Jung
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We are going to go with these I think! We are waiting to hear if they can get us the orange and we'll get two in grey as well...might be awhile. Things take forever to come into Canada but I'll post a photo when we do get it in! Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions!
  • Side3
    10 years ago
    Love the look of these stools and the bright colors, but they do not look very comfortable, will you be using cushions on then?
  • Myra Jung
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    They are actually pretty comfortable but not sure for a long period as I only tried out in the store. The pressed wood piece prevents the seat from being too cold and hard but it is removable. I might get some chair pads for them.
  • Heather Godsey-Davis
    10 years ago
    Nice choice. Those are adorable!
    Myra Jung thanked Heather Godsey-Davis
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    Love those.
    Myra Jung thanked Brenda
  • Chris Byrne
    10 years ago
    Have you got a link for the stools you bought? (and, speaking from experience, I totally recommend cushions because you can throw them in the laundry!)
  • Sam Dewick
    10 years ago
    i'm seeing either as your bar stools! Wonderful kitchen by the way
    Myra Jung thanked Sam Dewick
  • Myra Jung
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • vwronski
    7 years ago
    A Boon Flair highchair would go so well in this kitchen and kid, if willing, can use it to roughly 4 years.
  • D Faith Schepers-Ernst
    7 years ago

You can email Faith at d.faith.ernst@gmail.com to get more information on a custom designed high counter stool specially made for toddlers 2-4 even 5 years of age. Picture available soon. We just started building these and being Patented. Safe High Counter Chairs for Toddlers, specially designed with the toddlers safety in mind.