Traditional Fireside chairs .. Need a swivel system ?!?!
OnePlan
Hi fellow Houzzers !!!

See, even us pros need help occasionally ...

I'm putting fireside chairs into a design ... When you'd be sat in the chairs, toasting your toes, you'd need the chairs facing the fire - obviously... But when the chairs are empty, aesthetically they'd look better turned facing the rest of the room ...
My dilemma is this ... Client wants two traditional heavy 4 leg leather wing chairs - He doesn't like Victorian style castor feet, as too 'girly' - he wants 'Man size' chairs !!
So, too heavy to lift and shift each time for non 'Man sized' person ! ( at this point, I should mention that this particularly awkward client is my husband, and I'm the lightweight who will have to move the chairs !)
I've looked online for swivel mechanisms - found nothing that I can buy in small units (ie 2 not 100 or 1000 ) is there anything in 'the rest of the world' that I can get to solve this , that's inconspicuous!?!?!
I'm hoping that there's a simple solution somewhere that I just haven't found yet, as I'm tucked away in the UK. Maybe there's something available, off the shelf, in Lowes or Pottery barn that you all know about - please let me know if there is ?
... Many Thanks in advance !
Karen at OnePlan :-)
OnePlan
Just to add - its to go in a very old english cottage - that's why it needs to be traditional - we are talking beams and old oak floors etc etc . So ideally, needs to be something that no one would notice... I keep thinking of my hairdressers chairs, where you step on a lever and it lifts and turns ?! Hummm I'm sure there's a solution somewhere !?!? Thanks again!!
September 14, 2013 at 12:25am   
Fred S
Are these casters manly enough? One would think you would at least post a picture of the chairs you are considering ;) I thought no pictures was a newbie move. LOL
September 14, 2013 at 4:09am     
September 14, 2013 at 4:21am     
OnePlan
thanks Fred ...
here's similar chair

don't think casters will be discrete enough :-(
also we might scoot across the room when trying to sit down !
September 14, 2013 at 5:00am   
Fred S
I really just felt like posting something inappropriate ;). Can't think of anything for a skirtless chair.
September 14, 2013 at 5:12am     
OnePlan
I think I'm going to have to fudge something with one of these (photo) and a block of wood the same height as the legs ... unless anyone has any better ideas ?!?
September 14, 2013 at 6:46am   
Fred S
Won't that show under the chair? I know you can get full swivel bases for chairs if you remove the legs. If you don't remove the legs, it won't swivel on the base unless the legs are off the ground. Here is another fine solution to getting the legs off the ground when you want to turn the chair ;) OK, maybe not.
September 14, 2013 at 7:50am   
September 14, 2013 at 7:58am   
Fred S
You just have to loose the legs :(
September 14, 2013 at 8:00am   
OnePlan
I was thinking a block in the centre that's the same dimensions as the metal plate on the swivel and a smidgen taller than the legs and add felt to the bottom of the legs ?! the swivel plate I posted is about 8" square !?!,? guess that might put extra strain on the chair as weight wound be on centre not the four corners as designer ! whaaaa !! this is annoying !!!!
September 14, 2013 at 8:25am   
Fred S
Are you putting these chairs on a rug or a hardwood floor?
September 14, 2013 at 8:32am   
OnePlan
hardwood
September 14, 2013 at 8:38am   
OnePlan
whoops hit the wrong button!
on an oak floor - are you thinking of a 'lazy Susan' type thing - as that's what I was hoping might be available off the shelf in the states ?!
September 14, 2013 at 8:40am   
geoellen
Is the above picture a lazy susan component? Im afraid the wood and the hair dresser chair are all going to stick out like a sore thumb.I politely suggest you help your "client" man up.The chairs themselves are large and manly small casters cant change that. If he stomps his feet and pouts(lol) try www.suspa.com they make similar cylinders to the hair stylist.But not sure how their site works to find what you need,maybe have to contact them for ideas on which product they make that would work best in this application. Good luck-happy hunting
September 14, 2013 at 8:41am     
OnePlan
thank you !! he's hard work !!! lol !! if he was anyone else I would just say ' that's not possible ' !!!
September 14, 2013 at 8:46am     
Fred S
I can't think of anything that won't stick out like a sore thumb that swivels. I was thinking more along the lines of my first picture of the table saw. The wheels don't touch the ground until you tip the saw like a furniture dolly. If you put some sliders on the back corner of the back legs (underneath and out of sight, but not quite touching the ground), then you could just tip the chair back a little onto them and pivot the chair fairly easily?
September 14, 2013 at 8:57am   
OnePlan
I even thought felt pads might let me push them around - but the floor isn't totally flat so that won't work !
September 14, 2013 at 9:00am   
Fred S
Forgot pic twice. They make these in different shapes.
September 14, 2013 at 9:03am     
OnePlan
that might work if I put a rug down !! good thinking !!!
September 14, 2013 at 9:04am   
Victoria
You can buy that sort of thing in B&Q
September 14, 2013 at 2:08pm   
OnePlan
Thanks victoria , found some on Amazon too, but rug idea has now been dismissed as will get filthy from the fire place - so going to ask a manufacturer I know to see if they can make something with mirror cladding or matt black ( will experiment ) that will go under the chairs like I thought originally... they've done something similar to hide water pipes in an island on legs for me before ! either that or will just have to move the chairs each time by lifting them !
September 15, 2013 at 1:55am   
Undermount sink questions
We've got an undermount sink installed in out granite...
Need help with my entryway and living room
I'm totally clueless when it comes to decorating. We...
will two styles of sofas work in a small den?
We have a den/tv room with a small contemporary leather...
Guest bed drama! Advice for twin XL pop up trundle
I'm looking for a twin XL bed frame that is high enough...
How to select a ceiling fan?
Hi, We are in the process of choosing ceiling fans...