Need rug and curtains and any other suggestions. Help!
nocken
Have been trying to find a rug and curtains for this room. Not sure how to tie it all together. Also, it just seems like something is missing. What can I do to make my family want to plop down and love this room? If it is hard to tell from the pictures, my colors are teal and peridot green (which is so hard to find!).
motownmom
I think the room is lovely as it is, and agree it needs a rug.

As for your family loving and plopping down and staying there, I guess it matters the age of the family members. My "baby" is 18 now, and when younger, her attention span for conversation was more limited. We have a living room (no tv) and a family room (with tv). We spend more time in the family room watching tv than we do in the living room with no tv. But, we do have great conversations in the living room, when we choose to.

You might want to consider getting a long bench style table to put in front of the window, and put a chess set and maybe a deck of cards on it. Also, maybe a floor magazine rack, or small bookcase behind the sofa with books and magazines to read. Since this room is currently set up just for conversations, adding elements of "things to do" may get them in there for family time wihout a tv.

Everything "out of the ordinary" I have needed to find I have found by googling. I just googled "Peridot rug" and got tons of matches. Check Overstock.com and amazon.com. Also, join Joss & Main, they have tons of rugs all the time in those colors.

Even if it is not an exact match, anything in the green or teal family will look good.
September 14, 2013 at 8:14am        Thanked by nocken
nocken
Thank you for the great ideas! I am definitely going to get a bookcase for behind the sofa. I was thinking a sofa table but your idea is so much better. Also, the bench style table is a great idea. Our family is not into chess, but cards would be ok. The family also likes to do puzzles and I was trying to figure out a area for puzzling. I found a rug and I got a round ottoman coffee table to cozy things up a bit. I will post pictures as soon as I get the final touches put on. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
September 15, 2013 at 6:45pm   
Need Ideas for Dining Room
Looking for ideas to finish off my dining room. We...
Need help picking brick to go with an orange roof!!
We are keeping the stone & the roof isn't that old,...
Pendant light
I'm looking for a pendant light to hang over the table....
Advice on wood paneling please!
I have never worked with wood paneling before but I...
Update red brick fireplace
What would you do to update this fireplace quick and...