Need help - light fixture
Pamela Carrasco
This is our light fixture above our huge mirror in our master bathroom. I cannot seem to get the bulbs clean, and I want to replace the fixture with one that is not so outdated. Trying to be frugal also. Anyone have ideas on how to update it as is or is this a situation where I would need to purchase something else? It looks so super shiny and the other fixtures in the bathroom are more of a brush nickel.
Please help!!
You could try painting the fixture and changing out the bulbs to a milk glass sort of look to see if you like that better. Just shove some plastic bags in the sockets to keep the paint out of the inside. Since you may end up buying a new fixture, you could paint it an accent color.
September 14, 2013 at 10:55PM     
Marc Russell Interiors
It needs to go. Heat of the bulbs will make any paint peel right off. Good luck!
September 14, 2013 at 11:49PM     
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
Pamela, I refer to this style of light fixture as "hollywood lights". They go when I am staging or re-styling rooms for a client, as there is nothing attractive about them.

Without a picture of your bathroom and some indication of your style, I don't have any specific recommendation; however I am attaching a few images of bathrooms where this style of fixture was replaced.

You will also note that I tend to either frame or replace the big frameless mirrors, as they also are not attractive as is.

These changes can easily be made while remaining frugal.

In each bathroom, the basic builder's light fixture & mirror have been replaced with those that work with the style I am creating.

Sources for light fixtures & mirrors - HomeSense in Canada or TJMaxx in USA, Home Depot, Target, or even Habitat for Humanity Re-Stores, which receive new fixtures from suppliers and sell them at rock bottom prices.

Have fun!
September 15, 2013 at 2:01AM     
nap_sd
If you are on a budget, consider MirrorMate. They make frames that can be attached over the builder grade mirror. They are made custom to fit your mirror and have a lot of styles. I have also used an IKEA cable lighting system to change the fixture to pendants, working from the existing j-box.
September 15, 2013 at 6:04AM     
danphelps
Had same problem. Plus, almost all replacement fixtures will require installing an electrical box/mount which "Hollywood" style didn't use. I used Rustoleum hammered metallic bronze spray paint. Handles heat fine. Then I used the same in switch plates, towel rings, etc. Three years use and still look new! You'd swear it was actually hammered metal. Oh, also replaced the bulbs with the retro, warm, unique Edison style bulbs.
September 15, 2013 at 6:39AM     
Pamela Carrasco
Thank u all so much for responding! i am decorating this master bath in a seaside type of decor with light blues and light greens and seashells. I am afraid of trying to remove the fixture and I do like the comments about the spray paint and would like to see a picture, if u have one, of the one you spray painted. Your first pic wasn't clear enough for me to be able to view the color. Will you resend??
September 16, 2013 at 10:42PM   
evamdesign
I am surprised that people would recommend getting rid of the light fixture. Hollywood lights is an accurate term as makeup artists love this light as it creates an even bathe of light on your face, minimizing shadows. Ideally you would have three sets of these lights, top and both sides of the mirror. I think updating the mirror will make more of statement, and buy the heat resistant spray paint and spray it In a brushed nickel finish. Not sure of the kind of chrome finish it has, but you could also try using super fine steel wool or scotch brite and create a brushed finish yourself without painting
September 16, 2013 at 11:10PM     
Need help with light fixtures
where did you get this outdoor light?
Need help with light fixture for bunk beds
I've had these bunk beds made for my grand children's...
Need help with light fixture height for children's bedroom
I am trying to decide on light fixtures for my children's...
Need help with light fixtures
I wanted glass,Chrystal,whimsical
bathroom on a budget help
Hi everyone, was just coming for a little advice. Being...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
color ideas for my kitchen cabinets
I'd like to paint or stain my kitchen cabinets a new...