Kitchen outlet covers
bananet
When renovating a kitchen with new cabinets and backsplash, how important is the color of all the outlet covers above countertops?
abbyjean
VERY! It needs to coordinate with the backsplash. It will stick out like a sore thumb if it does not and take away from the look you are trying to achieve.
September 14, 2013 at 4:18PM   
Jenny Youngblood
super important-- that is why I refused to have any outlets to destroy the look of my beautiful backsplash, so I had all the electricity outlets moved to under the cabinet electrical strips. So now you only see backsplash.
September 14, 2013 at 4:28PM   
Blue
Jenny is right on. If you're renovating, move the outlets to a strip under the cabinets, then use trim to hide them. This is a much higher-end look but doesn't cost much more, if you do it while you're renovating. Wish I had done it.
September 14, 2013 at 4:30PM   
riosout
Although some in my family are saying: if the toaster will always be there, why not have the outlet BEHIND the toaster, even though it is in the field of tile backsplash? Ditto the espresso machine. Otherwise you have unsightly cords snaking up to the outlet beneath the cabinet.
September 14, 2013 at 4:34PM   
Blue
riosout, I guess I agree with you then. for appliances that are ALWAYS left out, then that makes sense. But honestly, is there some reason why toasters aren't "built in" to a cabinet space or a "toaster drawer" in the oven? I don't like the looks of all kinds of appliances on the counters, but definitely agree that function trumps form. I'm off to the drawing board to invent a new oven with a toast drawer. I hope someone beats me to it, because I'm not an engineer!
September 14, 2013 at 5:09PM   
abbyjean
I do have a few small appliances on my counter that are used daily, but I make sure no cords or outlets are a problem. The coffee pot is in front of the outlet and I have tied the cords so no one can see them....a big pet peeve of mine. The toaster has to be out, too, and it is also near an outlet and very little of the cord is showing.
September 14, 2013 at 5:12PM   
Blue
I keep an electric tea kettle on the counter and hate it, but I use it every day. I don't drink coffee so I keep that in the cabinet. Toaster is in the cabinet too because it is rarely used. I wish all kitchens had appliance garages.
September 14, 2013 at 5:22PM   
pegonia1
My appliances that I use everyday are on the counter with the cords hidden as well - Abbyjean, cords are a huge pet peeve of mine as well. The rest of the appliances are in an appliance garage.
September 14, 2013 at 5:24PM   
abbyjean
And I am not talking just in the kitchen.......I have to hide them in every room and i go nuts when I am in homes or see pics with CORDS! Oh, no!
September 14, 2013 at 5:27PM   
Blue
Oh my gosh, I hate it too --- BUT, I've had a "temporary situation" where I have an electrical item hanging on a wall and the cord hangs and dangles. It's funny how you get used to the things you see everyday. I am so embarrassed every time someone comes over for a house tour though. I have to say "this is temporary until I have the outlet moved". But sometimes I don't even notice it anymore.

Sorry about hijacking the topic! We clearly have opinions about seeing the cords!
September 14, 2013 at 5:46PM   
Danielle B
My husband and I had the electrician run the outlet inside the upper cabinets. This requires adding a false bottom to the lower shelf inside the cabinet. The cabinetmaker made the false bottom snug enough that it won't move, but it is not fastened, so we can access the outlets if we need to. This way, you don't see the outlets, and cords don't get in the way on the counter. Ensure that your appliances have long enough cords to do this.
September 14, 2013 at 6:23PM   
MS Colours Inc
To hide the outlet covers on backsplashes we paint them to match the surface. You may want to see our painted switch plates in our projects.
September 14, 2013 at 8:55PM   
Need help updating the exterior of a brick ranch
Hello. I am hoping that some of you will have some...
Wall and Window HELP for Dining Room!
I am looking for suggestions on what I should put above...
Looking for ideas to address the wall behind a corner wood stove.
I would love to have some kind of stone and mantel...
Window treatments for two story room
My living room is at two story "open to above" ceiling...
Poll: Keep or replace old kitchen?
Hi everyone, this is the old kitchen that exists in...