Dimension

susstruSeptember 14, 2013
I layered theses prints to try to add some dimension to this lat wall---does it look odd?
fianou
yeah... a little. I like the arrangement, but i think it would work better to be arrange quite close but not overlapping. i think it would work better to have the larger picture on the lower corner. the little ones are kind of lost, and if you flip it around i think the eye will be drawn to the larger frame then up and in to the smaller one.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 5:04PM
abbyjean
I actually think it is very clever and I like it a lot......what is bothering my eye is the symmetry being created by the matchy matchy tables and lamps and star fish. I wish the area under the pics could look different. The lamps are too tall and skinny and not really useful. Could another pic even be propped on the table to the right, under the high part of the grouping? There needs to be more bulk on the table to ground the art work.

The narrow pic on the wall behind the patterned chair is too high. Wish it was on the other side of the fireplace.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 14, 2013 at 5:07PM
pegonia1
Yes, it looks very odd. Also, the TV needs to be lowered approximately 5 - 8 inches, the long rectangular picture on the right wall needs to be lowered approximately a foot and the layered pictures........I don't have a remedy!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 14, 2013 at 5:08PM
HI -- Yes , it is interesting so keep it -just getting a little matchy -matchy but it looks pretty good so far --maybe just lower the bigger picture on the right wall behind the chair . Just so it keeps the eye moving . I also think the TV is just a little too high .
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 14, 2013 at 5:20PM
susstru
Thank you everyone for your advise. Should I remove one of the shelves? The room is pretty small--entry to the right, dining alcove to the left--kitchen behind the couch. Room arrangement is limited and everyone wants to be facing to tv and fireplace.
    Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 9:54PM
Cindy Sherman @ Sherman Kitchen & Bath Design
The first thing I notice is that you have arranged the pictures and the accessories to draw into the room {triangle}-- rather than up and out to expand the room. The pictures should be arranged diagonally up, not down. The shelves may become more interesting with some books and other stackable items to gain some height and interest.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 14, 2013 at 10:10PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I too would like to see the TV lowered. I would also like to see more solid, perhaps painted furniture pieces flanking the fireplace. I would take the 2 smaller prints & put them under the picture that's over the chair. That would help to tie in that space over the chair. The lamps are too puny for that space. For lighting & to give dimension to the fireplace wall, I'd install lighted sconces that can be dimmed. I would lower the remaining pair of pictures to just a few inches above the new painted chests & install the sconces over the pictures. My other suggestion is to not clutter up with small items. The mantel does not have to be decorated with a TV over it. Always think of the scale of items do decorate with...larger scale items create real interest.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 14, 2013 at 10:54PM
susstru
Would it be better to "bite the bullet" and pay to have book cases made to fit that space on either side of the fireplace? If so, stain them the same color? I am not really a big fan of all this stained moulding---I prefer white. However, I can't seem to picture it in this house---and it would take forever and or / lots of $$ to do so. Obviously, I am a color phobe too. Everything is black, brown or white or glass. I like little pops of color, but nothing ever seems to look right.
    Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 8:48AM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Well, yes. That would be ideal to have custom bookcases flanking the fireplace. And I can totally see the fireplace in white to really make it stand out...or creamy....or charcoal....or something fun...red??? Your fireplace can be a different color & keep the trim natural. The fireplace is your accent & focal point. I like the wall color a lot actually...but I am concerned about the room starting to look too heavy, so your cabinet maker needs to keep scale in mind & keep the trim light weighted. You do need a bit of color in there...what about an area rug??? Putting a rug over carpet isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it can work great. Just a change in the throw would make a difference...maybe a faux fur??? And what's happening on the other side of the room???
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 15, 2013 at 10:57AM
susstru
Other side of the room
    Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 1:59PM
Angel18432
I do like your idea and that you "dare to be different". I would do it on one side only and the other way around.
Smaller one overlapping larger one - small at top, large at bottom.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 15, 2013 at 2:04PM
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Ahhhhh....bigger than I imagined!!! I see opportunity to repeat the accent color of the fireplace over there in the drapery!!! Okay...I know you're a color-phobe, but try it!!! Love the chandalier. Is your paint color Favorite Tan by SW???
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 15, 2013 at 4:05PM
abbyjean
If you decide to get rid of the itty bitty lamp on the table by that fun patterned chair, that lamp in the corner by your table would totally work there! It would make more sense for it to be by the chair than by a window.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 15, 2013 at 4:17PM
I'm not a fan of the overlapping pictures. I think the space looks a bit cluttered--too many small tchotchkes, nothing that really stands out--and the overlapping pictures contribute to that look.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 15, 2013 at 4:25PM
I think the whole tableau would look better simplified:
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 15, 2013 at 5:06PM
abbyjean
I think if you get rid of the table to the right of the fireplace and put the floor lamp on that side of the chair, it will fill in the wall under the pics there perfectly. Find something small to put beside the chair for a cup/glass/book. Leave the table on the other side, but put something taller on the top under the pics there to close in the gap between them and the top of the table. Is there room for one of the tables behind the couch at all???
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 15, 2013 at 5:10PM
susstru
Fire place wall is Affinity 345, the other walls are a custom gol-brown (07b0113) taken from Ben Moore 1100 strip. There is another wall in BM baby turtle. The curtains are Robert Allen in a Fennel pattern
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:21PM
sstarr93
Remove the TV and put it in another room.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 17, 2013 at 5:24PM
susstru
There is no other room :)
Lv Rm, Dn Rm, 1/2 bath and kitchen on this floor.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:34PM
susstru
Does anyone have any pics where just the fireplace surround and book cases are white, and the rest of the trim, doors are stained?
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 5:39PM
susstru
Oops, the color is not AF 345---it's AF 355...
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 9:50PM
catieb
Is there any reason why you can't put the TV to the left of the fireplace?
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 17, 2013 at 10:19PM
susstru
I tried the tv on the right when I first moved in, and it just didn't work---it was $$$ to install over the fireplace with all the electrical and cables, so it stays. I also, have no cable length to lower it (all of the cables run outside through conduit and come back into the house behind the shelf on the left).
    Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:19PM
mcbriec
I love the layered look you've created and think you have lots of talent. Like others, I find the matching pieces flanking the fireplace too matchy matchy and insubstantial. I would find two different heavier looking pieces for those spots and edit what goes on top, perhaps using some larger organic modern things like driftwood or coral, both of which would maintain the color scheme.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 18, 2013 at 8:44PM
Melanie Hon
I also don't like the glass tables the way they are positioned. They make the room look narrow. I would start by removing the glass table from the right, and the small table lamps. Maybe get a small round wooden end table next to the polka dot chair and a floor lamp for that corner. Or a nice fern. The pictures might not be that odd after you get rid of the symmetry. It's just hard to tell right now. And I agree with abbyjean and pegonia that the picture behind the chair is too high.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 18, 2013 at 9:07PM
susstru
Thank you everyone for all of your help. As far as relplacing the glass tables, what sizes, shapes or colors would work well?
    Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 10:10AM
susstru
Okay, here is my re-do. I am still trying to get rid of little stuff, and not buy more stuff. I still need to lower the picture over the chair, and find a new more modern floor lamp?
    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 3:31PM
susstru
Here is the other side where I would like to replace the floor lamp.
    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 3:33PM
susstru
When I look at the photo of the left side of the room, it still looks to busy :(
    Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 3:48PM
abbyjean
I would take the lamp off the table next to the fireplace since the chair has the floor lamp. Will you just prop the picture you have ON the table under the pic that is hanging, where the lamp is now? Wondering if it will fill in that area ok.

I really like the leather chair and ottoman tucked in to that other corner.
    Bookmark   Thanked by susstru    September 21, 2013 at 5:37PM
Help Locating Turquoise and Yellow Moroccan Tile
Saw a program with the perfect turqoise and yellow...
happynons
Need help with window treatment and mirror
I just recovered dinning room chairs and painted walls....
Anna D'Arco DeLeo
Is there a "design trick" to arranging Moroccan tiles?
We are busy renovating a "fixer-upper" home we bought...
katierawbs
Kitchen backsplash ideas!
New kitchen in a very old house is finally coming together....
travallie