I need ideas for a dark wood paneled wall in living room.
cfouraker
We are remodeling a house on the beachside. It has wood floors and a dark wood paneled wall. I need ideas to lighten up the living room without tearing down the paneling.
James Fink
Sand it, prime it, and paint it.
September 15, 2013 at 7:41AM     
Paint them white, use a good primer.
September 15, 2013 at 7:41AM     
dogbrother
Hey there! Just did ours at the house we just sold and I agree with the others, prime and paint. Just be sure to us a flat white ;) Good luck!
September 15, 2013 at 7:45AM     
Oh, I would not use flat, something low sheen such as eggshell but at least it is washable.
September 15, 2013 at 7:47AM     
november21
Hi, we just bought a house that also has wood floors/paneled walls and I feel there's just too much to paint. If you only paint one room, wouldn't the rest of the house need to be painted ? What I'm thinking is put bright colored, large paintings on the wall or large mirrors, light colored furniture, curtains, accessories, etc. Large area rugs also can help. Just some ideas :-)
September 15, 2013 at 8:07AM     
november21
If you do paint, though, I agree with using washable paint.
September 15, 2013 at 8:08AM     
cfouraker
Originally, I wanted to paint the white wash/driftwood look, but my technique didn't turn out.
September 15, 2013 at 8:47AM   
cfouraker
The stairs need help, too! What can we use to replace the metal on the risers because there is a light under the staircase that could be used as a nightlight?
September 15, 2013 at 8:55AM   
abbyjean
It looks like your floor decided to run up the wall. Whatever color you are choosing to do the other walls....or if keeping that color......use it on this wall, too. Do not worry about the paneling grooves as they will add texture to the area and that could be a plus. Lucky you only have one wall instead of all of them!!!
September 15, 2013 at 8:57AM   
abbyjean
You don't need the radiator openings in the risers? I was going to suggest taking them out and replacing with the same in a fresh new black or brown......or painting these.
September 15, 2013 at 8:59AM     
debbiconti
Beautiful floor. Contrast that with a primed and white painted wall with a low sheen. Your room will be inviting, cozy, lovely.
September 15, 2013 at 9:00AM     
cfouraker
We removed the window a/c unit in the family room. There is a hole to the outside (boarded up for now). I'm thinking of a decorative window something like what the front door has.
September 15, 2013 at 9:02AM   
abbyjean
You are totally flipping this flop. GOOD FOR YOU as it will be your special place. GREAT idea with the window!!!
September 15, 2013 at 9:04AM     
With not much to go on, have you considered making that a much larger window or another full door? You can't have enough view on the beachside')
September 15, 2013 at 9:12AM     
cfouraker
Another issue in the bathroom...We have access panels to the pipes in the bathrooms, but how should we cover the opening? It has a clothes hamper in it right now and we were going to put up removable shelving.
September 15, 2013 at 9:13AM   
How about a louvered door panel
September 15, 2013 at 9:16AM     
cfouraker
Thank you so much for your responses! It is my first time on houzz. I should post "before" pics so you can get the full effect! We bought it in Dec and couldn't move in until June. It is still like one step above primitive camping though!
September 15, 2013 at 9:20AM     
dogbrother
What I meant was low sheen, but said flat by accident (got jumped on for that one fast enough - YOUR WELCOME FOR THE HELP)!
You know that in case one did use flat paint, they DO make them washable now - update your info, this isn't the 80's anymore.
September 15, 2013 at 9:32AM   
dogbrother
Margo C. you're an old HAG who comes to these forums just to correct people, get a life and get off the comp.
September 15, 2013 at 9:35AM   
mcbriec
Re paint sheen, Margo was giving great advice. I have used flat paint in tester samples in 2012 and it was amazing to me how utterly unwashable it was. It was like trying to clean sandpaper.

I really liked the driftwood sample you attempted. Did you think it showed too much wood grain? To me, the color washed paneling is much more interesting than solid paint.
September 15, 2013 at 9:43AM     
mcbriec
Dogbrother, Your hair trigger temper is kind of scary. You have some really serious anger management issues as well as very poor grammar.

Margo is an invaluable contributor here with tons of great ideas as well as a terrific sense of humor--qualities you clearly lack.
September 15, 2013 at 9:47AM     
momsy
For the access area by the shower: if you can get to Ikea, they have some nice shelving. Billy is a line of bookcases they make which would work.

Install it flush with the face of the opening and put moulding around the opening to make it look custom. Put a piano hinge on one side of the moulding. If you need to get to the access panel, the moulding can be opened, and the shelves pulled out or pushed back.
September 15, 2013 at 9:54AM   
samsamyd
As to the paneling, if it was stained with an oil based stain, you might have to shellac it before priming so that the stain doesn't bleed through....tip from a pro painter I hired once upon a time. If you'd like to keep some of that paneling, try a mural (you might have to fill the divets between panel board before putting it up -- but then the rest of the wood might look like framing on a wall sized picture...who knows.

GREAT idea for the window ... love the stained glass and you'll love the rainbows on the floor if sun comes in that window.

As to the bathroom, you're on the right track, removeable storage and hamper are practical and useful and will look good next to shower (convenient, too!)
September 15, 2013 at 10:02AM     
Scott Design, Inc.
If you don't mind losing the texture of vertical boards, then consider putting sheetrock over the wood paneling. Adjust the molding around the door, reapply the baseboard and you're done. Then on to the next project.
September 15, 2013 at 10:50AM     
OLD HAGS need love too;)LOL...
September 15, 2013 at 11:06AM     
Thanks mcbriec for having my back;)
September 15, 2013 at 11:12AM     
Scott Design, Inc.
Hang in there Margo...remember, what goes around comes around!
September 15, 2013 at 11:19AM     
dogbrother- could you or anyone send me a link or a brand that does sell washable flat. I am not being sarcastic or funny, I would like to know and get my head out of the 80's ;)
September 15, 2013 at 11:28AM     
sjforker
Painted paneling is beautiful ... tons of texture and color with great lighting. I have painted all rooms in my house ((12 total) twice. Last three times have used Pittsburgh Paints Grand Distinction (it is a prime and paint in one) and I get "Ceramic Flat Enamel". Washable, durable and looks great. Says you only have to do one coat but I always do two for best effect. I would not paint a bright color but keep it neutral. The tone from all the texture and separations will be enough and flat will not accentuate flaws.
September 15, 2013 at 11:41AM     
sjforker- sounds like a winner!
September 15, 2013 at 12:00PM     
nighthack95
September 15, 2013 at 12:21PM     
nighthack95
I like painted risers on steps. Also since it looks like these steps meet with a dark floor, you might try a light sanding on the steps and then stain steps dark to match floor with painted riser.

Here's a pic but steps are lighter wood

September 15, 2013 at 12:26PM     
linlac
Margo, most paint stores are now carrying washable flat paint. Lowes is called matte finish and is scrubbable. Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, Duron all have similar products.
September 15, 2013 at 12:44PM     
Thanks linlac - guess I need to keep up;)
September 15, 2013 at 12:52PM   
craljh
how about covering the opening in the bathroom with the same curtain as the shower curtain? You may have to cut it down. Don't go anywhere Margo.
September 15, 2013 at 1:01PM     
cralijh- I am googling * where do old hags go to retire* lol
September 15, 2013 at 1:12PM     
Ashe Design
I guess you could use the same old primer, and paint or even wall paper for that matter,but if i could be so humble to say,why not try something new,you can do so much with a blank wall,you can use decorative fabric from last years season,metal, tree leafs for that matter, the point is , no one will know, but you, and your the only one that has to like it, and you never know you might just start a new trend for 2014,
September 15, 2013 at 1:15PM   
Judy M
We have painted two homes with almost all paneling (near the beach) and used a good shellac primer before actual paint.
The difference is incredible.
September 15, 2013 at 1:16PM     
Judy M
@Margo, this old hag is gonna retire to Vegas, in case you need ideas. :)
September 15, 2013 at 1:17PM     
LOL- I was shocked at first to open my computer and have *OLD HAG* yelled in my face. A bit embarrased too, but the skin tightened, and I decided to embrace my inner hag and run with it...
September 15, 2013 at 1:21PM     
Check out dogbreaths, I mean dogbrothers thread LOL
September 15, 2013 at 1:22PM   
Patti Martin
This was all dark paneling which we primed and painted. We used Kilz sealer/primer and a waterbased eggshell paint. It's been over ten years and nothing has bled through.
September 15, 2013 at 3:07PM     
abbyjean
We could have a Hag House.....think how full it would be! We would have our own handshake and password and everything! AND NO BOYS ALLOWED!
September 15, 2013 at 4:08PM     
craljh
silly girls :)
September 15, 2013 at 5:27PM     
jen046
Oh my! Very amusing and horrible all at the same time. Margo, let you hag-flag fly! I'm right with you!
September 15, 2013 at 7:54PM     
craljh
so cfouraker ... what yah gonna do ?
September 15, 2013 at 8:17PM   
September 15, 2013 at 8:20PM     
slidell
Sand the floors and use a pale semi-transparent stain (grey, sage etc) and time and paint the wall the same color.
September 15, 2013 at 8:24PM   
2dogssashatess
are you sure you want to paint the wood? If it is only one wall, I think it could be a lovely feature. is the room bright generally? Personally I think I would paint all the other walls white and leave the wood. I do not know what plans you have for furnishings but the beachside/coastal feel is often white/cream, pale colors, so if you have pale furniture against this wall as well as some nice art, it will look dramatic and lighten the feel of the room. if you have some light rugs over the wooden floor, again you will lighten the room.
September 15, 2013 at 8:35PM   
bumblebee728
Dogbrothers, Margo is not an old hag! She is helpful, talented, and has a genius sense of humor! All she did was disagree with you about a paint sheen, for goodness' sake...
September 15, 2013 at 8:44PM     
OH, bumblebee, I do not believe my name AND genius have ever been in one sentence;)) I like it!
September 16, 2013 at 5:54AM     
bumblebee728
Margo, are you blushing? It's true. Please don't let them stifle you, be 'unstifleable' :)
September 16, 2013 at 7:27AM     
regina5697
Dogbrother, seriously? If you haven't noticed we all seem to respect one another's opinions and ideas. If you haven't caught on to that yet, I suggest you practice more reading and less contributing first. Margo rocks.
September 17, 2013 at 12:07AM     
karemore55
I have been reading the threads of this interesting conversation and feeling a mix of amusement, horror and grave concern - not unlike my feelings during a federal election.

Anyway, could I just throw in one more idea? I get the white panelled walls - we have a billion pictures out there to prove how fabulous they look. But, what if instead of white, you paint them - ta da! a pale blue-grey? It would be just a little different, very oceany and driftwoody. Just an idea.
September 17, 2013 at 12:34AM     
Judy M
True, the was some have to be white. You can choose any color like you would if painting Sheetrock.
Paint is your friend.
September 17, 2013 at 3:57AM     
Judy M
Oh man auto correct.

"It does not have to be white"
September 17, 2013 at 3:58AM     
craljh
keep getting posts here but nothing from cfouraker in a couple of days.
September 17, 2013 at 11:36AM   
cfouraker
I am here! Just taking it all in! I will paint the paneled wall a blue-green color, as an accent wall with some artwork. Hoping to get tan furniture for living room and a light rug. All of the walls in the house have to be painted and I've chosen a creamy white paint (ivory porcelain). I really like the stair risers idea to be painted, also. Great ideas from everyone! Love the pictures! I'll keep checking, busy at work and at remodeling. Whew!
September 22, 2013 at 9:34AM     
Need help with backsplash
Any backsplash suggestions for white shaker cabinets...
Exterior paint color
White? or Dark color trimmed in White? Siding is...
Circle stains on my new quartzite!
Picture doesn't really do it justice but my new quartzite...
Do lamps go w bedroom set
Hi would these lamps match old Fashioned cherry wood...
Question re: Flow - Keep the same style throughout house or not?
Hi there, We are in the process of redoing our basement....