How to make my house more versatile? Its complicated..
dbsgdec
I'm single and taking care of my old folks. So, even though i love an airy, open, spacey house, the fact that my parents are living with me means that there are lots of visits that makes me want a closed section from the livingroom. The new house I'm buying for us has an open concept, but now i'm in a deep dilemma. I want the house to be open for our day-to-day life, but closed during relative visits. Any ideas?
dlbconductor
If you can make do with three bedrooms, make Bedroom 2 into a sitting room (love seat or recliner, tv, library bookshelves, office) with the only accessible door or opening in the Master Bedroom. You may need to reconfigure where the door from the main living room opens in order to have space to put an opening between the two rooms. A sliding door into either room will easily solve the problem. To keep the sitting room more private, I recommend putting a sliding door from the main living room into the bedroom.

This will give you a retreat from company, family, and guests. As long as there is an opening between the Master Bedroom and Bedroom 2, the entry from the main living room into the suite could be from either the bedroom or the secluded retreat.

If your parents are using the Master Bedroom, then combine Bedrooms 3 & 4 into your bedroom/retreat.
1 Like   Thanked by dbsgdec    September 16, 2013 at 2:28AM
Robert
I do agree with dlbconductor advice. I think you should also select a pleasing natural or neutral color such as tan, camel, navy, dark green, or black, for upholstered furniture pieces to give new look to home. Don't be afraid to experiment! Find what works best for you in your present situation.
1 Like   Thanked by dbsgdec    September 16, 2013 at 2:45AM
dbsgdec
Thank you, Robert and dlbconductor! That's a brilliant idea! I can picture the sitting room, already. What about the kitchen? Since the living room flows right to the kitchen, and i'd want a brighter house, i prefer not to have a divider that would block the lights from the two front/back windows. I'm wondering since the light source came from only those side, would the house have light-glares. I'm thinking - a glass foldable wall between the livingroom and the diningroom. Do you think that would look too cluttered?
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 3:07AM
dlbconductor
Keep it open and free. Use a different floor treatment between the living room and dining room. If you had light colored wood floors throughout, put a rug in the living area and leave the dining room wood floor uncovered. Choice of rug to be determined by choice of style and furniture. In general, since outside light sources are limited, keep everything light and airy.
1 Like   Thanked by dbsgdec    September 16, 2013 at 6:06AM
dlbconductor
The thought just occurred to me that your house might be a perfect candidate for solar tubes. You could install one in the dining room, flooding that room with natural light. Depending on the other rooms, additional solar tubes could be installed. It would be worth the effort to get a consultation from a dealer.

With solar tubes providing some natural light, the use of a glass paneled art screen might be possible between either the living room and dining room or between the dining room and the kitchen. An open fretwork screen in a light wood or light paint color could also be considered.
1 Like   Thanked by dbsgdec    September 17, 2013 at 5:37AM
dbsgdec
I've been thinking of having that too ^^ is that what we call 'sky light'? I'm wondering if my roof type is suitable for it. Will definitely try and get some advice from a dealer. That could totally solve many problems, even more so now from what you hv pointed out. I hope it will be within my affordability. Here's my roof type.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 7:16AM
Brenda
sky lights and solar tubes are two very different animals. google "solar tubes"
0 Likes   Thanked by dbsgdec    September 17, 2013 at 7:26AM
dbsgdec
@Brenda oh! i just did. never seen one before. since the roof over the dining room is the highest, maybe it is not suitable? wonder where i can find one around my area. what a curious animal! the solar tube, i mean.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 7:31AM
Fred S
Or this.
1 Like   Thanked by dbsgdec    September 17, 2013 at 10:45AM
Help! How can I make my house look more attractive?
Should I paint it white with black or red door? Shutters...
leberg09
Suggestions to make the front of my house more contemporary/modern?!
I have a house built in 1952 with 6" bevel siding....
jsherwin
Make my old house look bright and more updated
We bought a house that was built in the 30s. It has...
jdoroh
Show us your Christmas tree!
Only 2 days left until Christmas, and we want to see...
Jeannie Nguyen
Kitchen Nook
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
need help to change my living room
i need a new look,maybe paint the walls, new curtains...
alphons3k
Kitchen chairs
I like Ethan Allen's "Adam" dining table in black (http://www.ethanallen.com/en_US/shop-furniture-dining-room-tables/adam-dining-table/336703.html)...
woodlands123
My new build
I am planning on a white kitchen in our new home. Can...
Gwen Tindill