Ugly brass front on gas fireplace.....
mrstucci
Hi-we have been in our house about a year and we are finally going to get rid of our 5 different floorings and get new laminate. My dilemma is our see through gas fireplace-I don't like the brass trim nor the hearth, etc. and it will need to be updated before the new floor goes in. So I need some ideas. The small book shelf next to it (shelves on the kitchen side only) can go. We have dark brown IKEA shelves in the family room. The couches are dark brown leather. The walls are off white. There is white tile on the top of the mantle. Looking for ideas and inspiration.....!! Judy
studio3600
Simple solution is to paint the brass. I did this to mine.
September 16, 2013 at 8:40AM     
I would rework the mantel. There is something about the way it juts out and over on each side that is distracting. I would keep the mantel within the fireplace itself.
September 16, 2013 at 8:46AM     
Judy M
I spray painted my old brass one with heat resistant paint. We masked off glass portion with newspaper. But a razor will remove any paint from the glass.
September 16, 2013 at 9:07AM     
Get rid of screen and gas logs convert to fire and Ice. You take gas vent lower it to bottom of firepl and add white crystal type Rock over it. When lit it looks like fire on ice. Very nice and a great update . I like the mantel looks mid century modern. Not dark on flooring stay in tones like mantel. Add area rugs to define areas . I hope you are taking wood into kitchen. Then I would stain oak cabinets darker add brush nickel pulls on ends long. Art above mantel in bold colors, with dark frame. Hang low 6" above mantel. Paint a soft gray. And go yellow accessories . In pillows a yellow, gray, black print. A gray throw on sofa to break up brown. Get a cabinet to hide stuff and wires. You need backsplash in kitchen. Are you redoing in granite?
September 16, 2013 at 9:20AM      Thanked by mrstucci
Remove everything from mantel. Add art in color n dining side clock to small need 24x24 at lest. Nothing on hearth. If it can be removed do it. You can get faux fronts for firepl in stone, ck on line.
September 16, 2013 at 9:22AM      Thanked by mrstucci
On firepl instead if 24" go tall 24 but not to wide 18-20" a gold tone sunburst mirror would work on dining side 24" would work. TJMax has nice ones great price.
September 16, 2013 at 9:25AM      Thanked by mrstucci
nancyann0277a
Totally agree with Margo re fireplace mantle. Looks out of portion. Also I would paint the gold on the screen black.
September 16, 2013 at 12:35PM        Thanked by mrstucci
Barbie
Yes, paint the brass with Rustoleum High Heat spray paint. Here is my before and after. Made a huge difference in our room.
September 16, 2013 at 12:44PM        Thanked by mrstucci
OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
I agree with Barbie all the way! Good luck!
September 16, 2013 at 2:46PM     
Maguire
I agree with Margo too that the angle on the mantle is too severe particularly with the angled wall over the FP. Maybe straighten the slanted walls and filling in the hole over the little bookcase, there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. Then add a cabinet below where the shelves are now and shelves above on the kitchen side.
To really update it you may want to think about treating it as two separate FP from each side and frame it in as such, removing the hearth and extending the wall on the right another foot or two, depending on how wide the opening is now.

September 16, 2013 at 3:07PM   
mrstucci
Thank you all for your comments. The first thing we will be doing is spray painting the brass like you did, Barbie. I want a mantle and the one that's there has got to go! Depending on what color of flooring we decide on will determine what kind, texture and color of tile or whatnot we get for the hearth. As for the comment from travisinteriors, I do plan on doing something with the cabinets-darkish stain and I like the idea of the brushed nickel hardware. Bold art work is one idea that I like. Would love to get granite and a backsplash for the kitchen. The flooring we get will extend into the kitchen, dining, living room, family room, half bath, laundry, etc. I don't want REAL dark flooring but I am not going with a light color either. I hadn't thought of yellow and gray as color accents. I have some teal-like pillows that look nice with the brown too. Thanks again for the comments!
September 17, 2013 at 5:04PM   
mrstucci
Oh, I meant to say that the stuff on the short wall next to the fireplace won't be there much longer-we are going to move the printer into the pantry once we get an outlet in there and the modem and hard drives are going on a shelf in the entertainment center once we get a cable outlet (for the modem) installed. That will make a big difference!
September 17, 2013 at 5:07PM   
Fred S
There are other ways to loose the shiny brass that are not so monotone as painting it all black.
September 17, 2013 at 8:33PM   
Stephanie Martinez
What was your method here?
March 10, 2014 at 8:11AM   
Fred S
Are you asking me?
March 10, 2014 at 10:45AM     
hanna1984
Bluing is a chemical process, Fred. it's easier to paint!
March 10, 2014 at 11:25AM   
Fred S
Clearly, you have not used those products on brass or guns. I, on the other hand, have. That sample I posted earlier is not out of a book, it is one I made. It is as easy as clean, then wipe on. No runs, no drips, no errors. It is waaay easier than painting and will never peal or burnish if something scrapes against it like paint will.
March 10, 2014 at 11:54AM     
hanna1984
Actually all my experience is with guns. Over 40 years worth. That's why a gunsmith blues our barrels or we just live with it. If you know of a new product or process for gun bluing please let me know!
March 10, 2014 at 12:05PM   
We want to hear more about Fred's process or product! Paint never seemed to be a perfect solution to these old brass FP's to me.
March 10, 2014 at 12:17PM     
Fred S
That is why I said "those products" , as in the ones pictured. I don't think they are as good as a professional job for guns out in the weather and humidity, but they work great for fireplace surrounds. Type in something like 'steel fireplace surround' in the photo search.
March 10, 2014 at 12:19PM   
hanna1984
So, they are just wipe on, wipe off?
March 10, 2014 at 12:23PM   
Team Reba of RE/MAX Metro Realty
I was going to mention that, yes, you can do the heat resistent paint but it often does turn hands or anything that touches it black after the fact. I like this idea of the wipe on finish that is discussed above and will keep that in mind for anyone I work with who is buying a home and wants to update some features like this one. Or, if they want to do it as prep for selling.
March 10, 2014 at 12:28PM   
jn3344
Fred, so your sample on the right, (and the right of the right) which product is it? I want to try it when the weather warms up a bit.
March 10, 2014 at 12:30PM     
Fred S
Both pictures from Sept 17 are the same piece in different light. The grade of brass will make some difference. The left end of the piece is 44/40, and the right end is aluminum black. I usually rub the brass down with 00 steel wool or finer first to get the best look. Then just wipe it on. Sometimes, I rub it down with steel wool after as well if I want a muted or matte look. Just experiment on the back side first. You can rub it out with steel wool and apply it a second time if it turns out with a few uneven spots. It is hard to impossible to mess up.
March 10, 2014 at 12:50PM     
Fred S
One bottle should do a couple fireplaces, and costs around $7.
March 10, 2014 at 12:58PM     
hanna1984
Team Reba, thanks for the heads up on black paint rubbing off. I was all set to paint ours black as we have a few pitted spots.
March 10, 2014 at 12:59PM   
sage0807
So glad I read this thread! I hate the brass on our fireplace too! Great, seemingly simple solution!
March 10, 2014 at 1:00PM   
hanna1984
Fred, how does it look with pitted areas? I'm not sure ours is actually brass. It has an "antique" brass finish. Will this stuff take that finish off?
March 10, 2014 at 1:02PM   
studio10001
As to the mantle, I think your fireplace has much nicer lines without one. I would darken the whole thing to a slate colour with matching slate hearth, and remove all the oak - bookcases included, in favour of a log stack.
March 10, 2014 at 1:13PM   
Fred S
The left side of the sample would probably look better with pitted, mostly because the right is more monotone. Check the back side of the louvers to see if that is brass. I am not sure on the antique part. I think most of the polished brass louvers are solid brass and most antique finishes are applied over top of solid brass, but I don't think I have looked that close. Usually, if there is a clear finish, it is thin and weak and easy to rub off with steel wool. That is to say about the same amount of surface prep you should be doing for paint anyway. I think the antique finish would not be any different. If it is just brass plated, that may depend on how thick the plating is. I tried to color some copper pipe straps and found out they were a cheap plating really fast and it would not work. Door knobs have a more durable coating than I have seen on a fireplace, and take a little more patience. I take everything apart as much as possible first. I guess you should try a spot and see. If you are going to paint it anyway, it won't hurt. If it is solid brass with a thick pitted antique coating, the worst case may be that you need to start with 220 sandpaper and more patience.
March 10, 2014 at 1:54PM     
Barbie
I am the one who posted pics of our brass painted with high heat spray paint. It has been a couple I years since I painted it and it looks as good as new. It does not rub off at all. Just an FYI!!
March 10, 2014 at 4:50PM     
hanna1984
Thanks, Fred. :)
March 10, 2014 at 6:58PM   
fixitlouie
do not modify the logs if thay came with the fireplace...many gas fireplaces are tested and ul listed to function with there logs only!!!
March 11, 2014 at 9:31PM   
Stephanie Martinez
Thank you everyone this helps so much. And Yes, I was originally asking you FredS sorry I should have been more specific. :)
March 12, 2014 at 8:06AM   
Fred S
Since we are also talking about black spray paint, and just in case the pictures are deceiving, even the darker right side of the sample looks more like a dark oil rubbed bronze in person than black.
March 12, 2014 at 11:14AM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Good fireplace paint does not come off. You can find it at you local fireplace professional's store. We use color #1990 Satin Black for most of our work, but other colors are available.

This is the label you are looking for:
March 12, 2014 at 2:25PM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
. . . and I agree with the with the other comments about the disproportionate shelf and chamfered hearth. If you are interested in updating your look, you might try something like this before you re-do the floor:
March 12, 2014 at 2:29PM   
zazylife
Barbie,
Can I please know which brand high heat spray paint you used? thank you
March 24, 2014 at 9:12PM   
Dawn Desorcy
I just purchased paint last night for this exact project. I'm going to try nickel, though, instead of black. The brand I got is Rustoleum...colors other than black must be new in high heat paint because I've been looking for nickel for a while now! Hoping those doing new paint will post pictures! Loving the changes already posted.
March 29, 2014 at 8:21PM     
hanna1984
I'll be waiting for your results and pictures, Dawn. Hope it works great for you! :)
March 30, 2014 at 6:04AM     
Jolene
I also spray painted nine with high heat spray paint. I even sprayed the oak handles. It has healed up great.
March 30, 2014 at 6:50AM     
roundwindow
Fred thanks, I'm so excited to work on our ugly dated brass doors.
April 6, 2014 at 7:59AM     
Dawn Desorcy
Just about done...edge still needs to be painted, but I haven't gotten a chance to finish that yet. The plan is to brush on black high heat paint since it's a pretty small area. So far, I love the change - very pleased! Hoping to see more before & after pics! :-)
April 6, 2014 at 8:15PM     
Suzanne Foley
Fred, Could you use the rub on for other brass items? Like shower surrounds and faucets instead of the paint? Which product did you use on each side of your sample? They look great!!
April 30, 2014 at 9:27AM   
Fred S
I believe the blued part is on the left and black on right (top two products) It may not be the best for something that gets cleaned with chemicals once in a while. I read that a housekeeper ruined a patina on a copper powder room sink on here using standard bathroom cleaners. If you don't mind it looking a little rustic, you can re-apply it if that happens, or find a really durable clear coat to protect it. (like car paint)
April 30, 2014 at 5:53PM     
silvermist13
So, Dawn Desorcy how did you do that? I loves these ideas. I think I will do it this weekend.
June 25, 2014 at 3:20PM     
ohrelax
Thanks so much for this great info! I, too, will lose the brass this weekend. Is it best to use black spray Rustoleum or to use a brush and paint it on. Do you just tape newspaper over the glass and brick? What else is good for this grateful novice to know?
June 25, 2014 at 4:33PM     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Please do not brush.

Anything that can be removed and taken out to the garage, do it. Bifold doors are easy to pop out, as are most louvers.

Mask off anything you don't want paint on, sand surfaces with 400 grit wet-or-dry paper and spray a couple of light coats.

Satin black, not gloss, not flat.
June 25, 2014 at 6:21PM     
Dawn Desorcy
silvermist13, the metal front of our fireplace comes off completely, so I took that outside, taped off any areas to remain black and sprayed on the silver high heat paint. (Actually used tape and newspaper to cover larger areas). Then I did brush on the tiny trim edge (probably less than 1/4 inch wide), with black high heat (Rustoleum) paint. None of our local retailers had any finish other than satin (I think?). And, to be honest, the trim is not perfectly done, but it looks pretty good. Apparently high heat is one coat only (for the brush on stuff), so keep that in mind, too. I covered way more than necessary when brushing on the black paint, but it made for easy clean up (and no black on the tiles to clean up!).

Good luck! I can't wait to see the before & after pics!
June 25, 2014 at 7:13PM     
silvermist13
Thanks! I bought my paint and hope to give it a go this weekend!
June 25, 2014 at 7:36PM   
silvermist13
So, this may not be as easy as I hoped. We can't get it off the fireplace, and I don't know how to paint the hinges so they still work and are uniform. Any ideas??
June 27, 2014 at 8:56AM   
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Don't worry about painting the piano hinges. They'll be fine.

It looks like the door and brass frame might come off together in one go. Did you look inside for signs for attachment?

If that doesn't seem possible, just mask of the glass well, put something down to protect your brick and go for it. You'll want to paint the doors inside and out.
June 27, 2014 at 9:56AM   
silvermist13
Ok, I will carry on......my hubby is the one who tried to get it off and he couldn't do it so I don't know what the problem is...it would be so much easier. Thanks for the tips!
June 27, 2014 at 10:23AM     
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Obvious question: do you actually use the fireplace enough to justify keeping it? I imagine removing it entirely in favor of a low wall and a cabinet that will allow you to hide that mess of wires to the left.
June 27, 2014 at 11:32AM   
silvermist13
Ugh! Don't even get me started about all the wires in my house! Focus on the fireplace, not the wires :) My hubby actually just cleaned up those wires (after me asking for at least a year). We are actually selling this house so we don't want to spend a whole bunch of money but if we were staying I would totally redo my fireplace.
June 27, 2014 at 11:46AM     
silvermist13
So, I completed it! I still have a couple of touch ups but I like the look of it. I would recommend that if you can remove the door/frame and spray it outside do so! The fumes are nasty. Otherwise, wear a mask and maybe some goggles. Thanks for the tips :)
June 28, 2014 at 9:01AM     
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Good job!
June 28, 2014 at 9:10AM     
Dawn Desorcy
Looks great, silvermist13!! You did a great job!
June 29, 2014 at 9:21PM     
Tile Floor---??Grout color
Installing a 12x12 black and white porcelain tile floor...
Big Fat Problems with Brand New Kitchen
We are at our wit's end. We need input and ideas! MAJOR...
Need Help with a bathroom vanity
I am looking for a single vanity that is less than...
Wood bathroom decor
Hi all. This is a very small bathroom in my new home....
Exterior design question - cobblestones or not?
Cobblestone border or edging border? If cobblestone,...