Need help with furniture arrangement in living room.
deborahjarman
Open concept with a doorway off the house entry that requires a diagonal traffic pattern. Things that must stay; the library wall and the large screen tv. Would also like to keep the baby grand if I can make it work. I don't like how the entertainment center is so dark, leaving a black hole at the end of the room. Would like to have the fireplace be more of a focal point, but not sure how to arrange furniture to accommodate television viewing and a cozy area by the fireplace as well. Would appreciate any suggestions.
deborahjarman
Tried to post two pictures, one from either end, but only one showed up. Here is the other end of the room.
September 16, 2013 at 1:11PM   
FRED HOFFMAN ARCHITECTURE
Hi, This is a warm room with lots of inviting things. But I think it has too many elements which make it too crowded. The large screen TV next to the charming fireplace does not work scale-wise. If you are willing to sacrifice the piano to another room. It will open up your space. Hire a professional designer for a consultation. It will be worth the $.
September 16, 2013 at 1:23PM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
Thanks Fred. I agree too many things going on in this room. Unfortunately, this is the only room for tv viewing and also the only room in the house that can accommodate the piano. I'm thinking the piano must go... sadly.
September 16, 2013 at 1:26PM     
FRED HOFFMAN ARCHITECTURE
You think fast and that's a good decision. Do not hate us. I like the large book case. Center it on the wall. ...loose the other tall one. joan krieger hoffman partner FRED HOFFMAN ARCHITECTURE
September 16, 2013 at 1:41PM        Thanked by deborahjarman
Keep your piano! (Good therapy and if it makes you sad to remove it, keep it!) How about trying this...rotate the rug and loveseat by the piano to face the fireplace. If you can, rotate the other loveseat a bit facing the tv better. Remove the side table there so the floor lamp is next to the sofa. I'd remove hutch part of the tv console since the scale is quite large for the wall. Move the FP tools to the other side of the hearth so it's not right next to the tv console. Garden stools for your coffee table would provide a place for drink glass when you remove the end tables from the space.
September 16, 2013 at 1:46PM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
Joan, I don't hate anyone, I appreciate the feedback. The large bookcase is actually centered between two taller ones. I like the library wall.
September 16, 2013 at 1:57PM     
deborahjarman
Darzy, I really do want to keep the piano if I can make it work. It is a digital baby grand and I'm excited about Christmas music playing throughout the house during the holidays. I found an antique carved sideboard on craigslist that might just work as a console under the tv mounted on the wall. That wall is 104" and the sideboard is 84". Perhaps painting it a light charcoal chalk paint and then framing the tv on the wall to look built in might minimize it? Will play around with angling furniture, but tough, as my husband is the proponent of the 70" television and thinks seating should be oriented centered on the tv.
September 16, 2013 at 2:03PM   
How about removing one of the sofas and put two accent chairs there to angle toward the tv? Or, better yet, one comfy chair and side table angled towards the tv in front of the sliding window. Relocating the reading chair by the left bookcase may allow space to angle that loveseat to face the FP yet comfortable enough for one to watch tv. Do you need to seat more than 2?
September 16, 2013 at 2:03PM   
deborahjarman
I ditched the large dark entertainment unit and replaced it with an antique tiger oak sideboard as a media cabinet. I think it really opened up that end of the room (despite the large TV that my husband insists on). I've also found some deco chairs that I love the shape, not so crazy about the fabric. Thoughts on how these might fit better in the room either flanking the fireplace or as seating for watching television rather than the large sofa? I would have them reupholstered in a charcoal mohair to pick up the grey tones in the fireplace brick.
October 6, 2013 at 10:30AM   
Since the piano is digital, it won't be affected by drafts or temp changes. I'd angle it where the sofa is at the window by the FP. Turn your rug the other direction and put the larger sofa with its back to the bookcases. Eliminate the smaller sofa in favor of the deco chairs facing the TV with their backs to the wall that appears to be an opening to the kitchen???
October 6, 2013 at 10:38AM   
deborahjarman
Thanks! Didn't think about putting the piano by the window next to the fireplace. Will give this arrangement a try when hubby gets back from playing golf. Off to pick up the deco chairs. Thanks again!
October 6, 2013 at 10:45AM   
Look forward to seeing the arrangement.
October 6, 2013 at 10:59AM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
decoenthusiaste - I tried the piano on the window wall next to the fireplace and it stuck out way too far, totally blocking the view of the fireplace and obstructing the walkway through the room. I searched on Houzz for options for placing a piano and there was a photo of a baby grand in a kitchen nook. We have a nice bright nook with a table that we don't use since we have a dining room and bar stools at the kitchen island. Would the piano look silly in this nook adjacent to the kitchen? It is 14' square with a bay window looking out to the woods. I'd obviously need to replace the country rooster chandelier with something a bit more grand... Your, or any one elses thoughts would be appreciated.
October 8, 2013 at 9:49AM   
Nancy Lamb
Deborah-I think you may on to a great idea moving the piano to that beautiful nook with the view. It seems it would be an inspirational gathering spot as well, perhaps add a few bar stools for piano bar seating.by moving the piano, It would open up the counter area and the library wall. You could add a small library table to go with your floor lamp and chair in there, for a nice reading spot. Have you tried angling your sofa with the same angle as the fireplace, and a sofa/library table could go behind it?
To see how the piano might look first without physically moving it, make a template of it out of butcher paper or even newspapers taped together and place in the space. Some music stores have some already sized templates for customers to place before moving.
October 8, 2013 at 10:48AM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
Thanks Nancy. The piano is actually not that hard to move, as it is on carpeted coasters. do need to wait for hubby to get home from golfing to help me move the nook table though, as it is 5' diameter and weighs about 200 pounds! Will post pics after I get it in place.
October 8, 2013 at 11:16AM   
Looked for your thread to update last night and didn't see anything new. I think the bay is a great spot for the piano.Search Photos for piano chandelier to see some ideas on what you might replace the rooster with. How did the deco chairs work out? Let's see them too.
Just another thought now that we see more of your space. Do you have anywhere for the microwave other than the baker's rack? They are pretty tired and '80's today and it is taking up a pretty large footprint.
October 8, 2013 at 11:52AM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
Just moved the piano and I like it in the bay. Still need to work out how to arrange furniture now that things are opened up. Hubby still off playing golf, so need to wait for my "muscle" to get home before I can move the rest of the stuff around. Here's a pic of the piano in the bay. I agree the baker's rack needs to go and the microwave needs another place to live. We just bought the house after cruising on our boat, so had no furnishings and just bought a hodge podge of stuff on Craigs list to get by until we decided what we wanted. As such, it can all go away and be replaced with something that works better for the space we have. Exceptions are the big tv, the piano and the library wall. Will post pics later when I play around with furniture placement. Thanks!
October 8, 2013 at 1:20PM     
Great location for it - now for a new chandy!
October 8, 2013 at 7:05PM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
This will be fun. I'm a nut for vintage lighting. Here's the one hanging in our dining room.
October 8, 2013 at 7:46PM   
And more fun to shop for than just standard big box stores!
October 9, 2013 at 9:02AM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
What do you think of this one?
October 9, 2013 at 9:07AM   
Galilee Lighting
some ideas for lighting...for our detailed catalog by email contact us Sales@GalileeLighting.com
October 9, 2013 at 9:17AM   
That one is pretty but seems more for over a dining table.
October 9, 2013 at 10:06AM      Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
Found this 1950s chandelier on craigslist. 24" diameter x 21" high plus 13" chain. Bottom of fixture would be 36" above piano when closed, and about 12" when top is open. Thoughts? The sofa is being delivered today and deco chairs are at the upholstery shop getting a deep copper textured chenille. Will post photos of new layout when they return in about 10 days. In the meantime, thoughts on the chandelier? I've looked at new ones and really want something unique and vintage. Thanks!
October 25, 2013 at 11:09AM   
Very nice find. If the price is right, try it. Generally you add the width and length of the space and that gives you the inches of width the chandy needs to be. However, this is a special space and a special use area so go ahead - you will love it!
October 25, 2013 at 11:13AM        Thanked by deborahjarman
deborahjarman
It's $400, all original and in working condition. Thanks for the feedback. Nook is 12' x 12', so I guess that makes 24" just right... Never knew that formula, good to know! She's holding it for me until tomorrow morning, as I'm held hostage at home today waiting for delivery of sofa. And, yes, I do love it!
October 25, 2013 at 11:17AM   
deborahjarman
OK, back at it after several diversions. Holidays, endless out of town guests and major disappointment with the new bamboo flooring failing in this and three adjacent rooms. After much thought and enjoying one last holiday with the piano, it has moved on and is no longer in the mix. New sofa and deco chairs have been reupholstered. Pretty clean slate to work with, so very open to ideas. Nothing is carved in stone, with the exception of the library wall and my husband's 70" television (Arrrghh). I enjoy fires in the fireplace in the evenings, at least this time of year, and the view out the windows to the deck, gardens and woods are also very soothing and something that I would like to focus on. I know... tall order to have three focal points! Will have to rip out the flooring and start over, but can't do that until a determination is made by the manufacturer as to whether it is a flooring failure or an installation issue. Thought it would be good to gather ideas and a plan while I'm playing the waiting game on the flooring. Also would welcome ideas on an alternative hardwood that would work with the maple kitchen cabinets; or whether to paint them, perhaps a warm light grey? Yes, I need a lot of help here! Thanks in advance to all who are able/willing to offer help.
January 27, 2014 at 9:01PM   
Sorry to hear about the floors - a real bummer! Glad to see you're ready to move ahead though. Would you consider painting the library wall? Now that the new chairs are in, I think the orange tone is a problem. Here are some suggestions from Sherwin Williams and I think the Bolero would be beautiful there.
January 28, 2014 at 6:49AM     
deborahjarman
Hi deco! Yes, the floor issue is a total bummer. The library wall is actually a deep copper and coordinates well with the copper antique chandelier, copper tones in the granite and the rug. Not opposed to choosing another color if you think it's a problem, but it is really not as orange as it appears in the pictures. There is also a very large natural cedar deck off this room that also duplicates the copper library wall.

Darzy recommended that I start a new post on the room, as so many things have changed and the original post was five months ago. She thought I would get better advice if Houzzers were not confused by what "was", rather than what "is" going forward.

Have not yet made a new post, as I know you and a couple of other people got frustrated with me with duplicate posts in the past on my piano nook... Thoughts on whether to keep this alive or start fresh???

Thanks! Deb
January 28, 2014 at 10:38AM   
Both new and old threads will be at your page for reference back if needed. Start a new one but give it a new title, include the flooring dilemma. You should get a totally new shot at ideas.
January 28, 2014 at 10:46AM      Thanked by deborahjarman
thedarlingsbecca
I like the library wall very much! In the photos, it looks as if the middle book case is too low as compared to the two taller ones on either side. Also, the shelving on the bookcases on each side looks equal in height, but the middle bookcase shelving is not spaced the same. It makes the middle shelving appear to be drooping or too low. Would it help to add some "legs" to the middle bookcase to raise it up a bit? Not all the way to the top of the wall, but enough to offset the difference in shelf heights?
January 29, 2014 at 2:16AM   
deborahjarman
Deco and Becca - I have started a new thread on this room to avoid confusion over things that have already been changed (furnishings and no more piano). Please feel free to come on over with your ideas! Becca, my husband and I were just discussing last night that the two taller book cases look odd and will probably have them modified to remove the large open shelf below and bring them into scale with the center case.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/827830/m=WW91ciBwb3N0IHdhcyBzdWNjZXNzZnVsbHkgYWRkZWQgdG8gdGhlIERpc2N1c3Npb25zIHNlY3Rpb24u/Furniture-Arrangement-and-Flooring-for-open
January 29, 2014 at 9:10AM   
Need help with living room furniture arrangement
Attached photo shows floor plan. Enter Living Room...
Need help arranging living room furniture.
To the left of the window is the front door and the...
Need help arranging furniture in my living room.
My living room has two large doorways which face each...
Need help with living room furniture arrangement.
Should I put the sofa against the wall or leave it...
What color will you NEVER find in your house?
It's usually pretty easy to tell the colors that people...
Tub reglazing
We have a master tub we don't really ever use sure...
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
A Big Blank Wall!
This is my living room. We just moved in this summer,...
Bedroom flooring
We have an open Eichler house and recently laid tile...