Asbestos in Floor Tiles!?
Theresa Joy
My husband just told me that he read that there is asbestos in these floor tiles but that it is not a danger because the asbestos is contained within the tile and it's not free-floating particles. From what I read any asbestos anywhere is a danger ..... ?!?
Rockin' Fine Finish
Asbestos particles is the danger as the tiles wear is also a danger I'm assuming the tiles are installed ?
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 7:11PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
They are broken is see now the asbestos is airborne now you need to have it abated
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 7:12PM
Theresa Joy
Yes my husband was breaking them up with a crow bar :(. It didn't occur to me until few days into it ... Hes been doing it about an hour a night for three days ... About 40 sq feet ... Ill get the tiles tested tomorrow .. But Im guessing they have asbestos since most of the tiles between the 40's - 80's had it. We stopped work and removed the tiles from the home. Washed the floor down with soapy water ... I just hope we were not exposed to enough to hurt us. I can not believe this did not occur to me sooner!
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 7:36PM
sharnz_alesha
Well ive heard that if u breath in to much you can die so if i was you i would get a builder to check it out for you
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 8:26PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Asbestos will cause cancer but its exposure over a long time but with saying that have them tested and professionally removed and disposed of
2 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 8:41PM
madhayes
Are the tiles 9x9 or 12x12 inch ? 9 x9 more likely to be asbestos.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 8:45PM
Theresa Joy
Yes unfortunately they are 9x9.
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 8:55PM
madhayes
I'd get an expert to handle them.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 8:59PM
Theresa Joy
I just hope we were not exposed to enough to damage out health. The tiles had no fine powder or dust, they are a hard rubbery substance .. I will get them tested tomorrow.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 9:24PM
There is a cheap test for it. Find out first. Danger is much less for removal of vinyl tile than for other types of asbestos insulation . . . risk is still there, but because the asbestos was built into the plastic mix, it is somewhat more encapsulated than the ceiling tile or insulation uses. Don't stress - but do use a pro from here.
2 Likes   Thanked by Theresa Joy    September 16, 2013 at 9:27PM
Ironwood Builders
Theresa, Vinyl asbestos tile (VAT) and transite, concrete asbestos shingles, are allowed to be removed by homeowners and disposed of in the common landfill. There are some precautions you should take. Close off all openings to the area with 6 mil sheet plastic and duct tape, wear a full "zoot suit" with hood , gloves, booties, respirator and eye protection. Wet the area you are removing (small areas at a time) and chip the tiles up, spraying with a hand held mister as you go. Double bag and "gooseneck" your waste in heavy "contractor" garbage bags. Using red tape, twist the top of the bag to form a neck and tape off, then bend a loop in the neck and tape again. This lets the waste disposal people at the landfill know they are dealing with a low level hazmat. Buy or rent a HEPA filter vacuum and use it! A LOT! Long term exposure is not necessary to contract mesothelioma. ANY exposure to friable, airborne asbestos particulates can lead to the deadly disease...the caveat is that some people are more susceptible to contracting it. VAT is pretty stable and that is why homewoners are allowed to demolish it and dispose of it. Contractors must be specially licensed, certified and insured to touch it.
6 Likes   Thanked by Theresa Joy    September 16, 2013 at 10:08PM
dreacorator
I have a similar post up now, I'm curious Theresa Joy, what did you end up doing?
0 Likes   April 1, 2014 at 2:00PM
Basement flooring to cover asbestos tiles---tile or concrete?
Hi, we have old asbestos tiles in our basement that...
cxg2
how to finish a 150 year old store floor after asbestos tile abatement
After buying an historical building we found 3000ft2...
uberngruber
Asbestos tile ? Possible black mastic HELP!
We moved into our house some months ago built in 1960...
fallcp123
Asbestos tiling
We covered our tiles directly with laminate flooring,...
janelutes
Small house - entry into living room
Recently renovated my approx. 850 sq. foot house and...
Josh Lardinois
Mini Bar
HELP!!! Any ideas on a split mini bar. I'm thinking...
superrman
I need help with making my ideas cohesive
I love several types of styles, rustic, mid-century...
April DuBose
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Need help finding a budget friendly carriage style garage door.
We are building a house and are trying to find an attractive,...
youngdc