Ideas To Seperate Property Lines
Trevor
Looking for some ideas to separate my property from my neighbors property. We have a good relationship, but I just want to show some distinction between the two lots. As you can see from the photos my neighbor to the West planted some evergreens. When I first moved in to my house there were three large pine trees by the road and a tall Maple tree half way up the front yard that was right on the property line of my neighbor on the East. All these trees have since died and I am looking at bare grass in the front. I've been researching some trees and I like this red maple http://www.windingcreeknursery.com/RedMaple.html Please add any ideas you can think of to help separate my lot. Thank you!
sparkleenthusiast
When we had a survey of our plot, my husband put PVC with cement into the ground (very low so that you can only see if you're looking) where the wooden stakes were placed by the surveyors.

I don't know which zone you live in- but would River Birch be a good option for you? They're beautiful, have nice winter interest, and would provide some privacy.
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 7:06PM
CDR Design
-skyrocket juniper (evergreen) or

-poplar(not evergreen---they grow veeeery quickly.) They used to have a short life (10 years) but am guessing there has been improvement.

If you want to use maple, use "columnar" maple
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 7:39PM
Teresa S-j
Rather than a tree line, you could create a bed of low shrubs, ornamental grasses, etc.
0 Likes   September 16, 2013 at 9:53PM
JILL OF ALL~Kaarisa Blackwell
Lilacs make really nice hedge type dividers and provide you with wonderful flowers for the house. They fill out very quickly and even in the winter the bare branches will look great if shaped.

My personal favorite...the Euonymus bush as it stays green year round and comes in several variegated colors (white/green; yellow/green; pink/green). Would choose one that grows to about 4 feet tall and wide as they are quite sturdy and can easily be shaped into hedge or kept as individual plants...round, square, tall or short.

Boxwoods are very much the same idea...but are only green and much slower growers.

Then there are Yew trees (bushes)...similar to Cedars in that they are evergreens, but require much less water and grow much faster. Again, they can be shaped individually or allowed to hedge.

Suggest going to your local nursery to see what is available. One last thing, feed them with Miracle Grow and they will really go! :-)
1 Like   September 16, 2013 at 10:30PM
Trevor
Reply To: Aedanderson-My neighbor has a river birch and I really like those trees. I'm not necessarily looking to mark the property line using stakes. I just want to have a visual reference to differentiate our properties. I also want to fill my front yard in so it doesn't look so bare.

Reply To: Teresa S-j- I'm starting to think about doing a combination of Juniper/evergreen type of tall skinny trees along with some shrubs and tall grasses. I just got back from my local nursery and got some really good ideas. I'm a planner, so I need to draw everything out before I start spending money.

Reply To: cdrdesign - I really like the skyrocket Juniper and a few other tall skinny varieties I saw at my local nursery. Before I do anything, I want to make sure to move my Japanese Maple first as this is going play a role in the placement of my separation landscaping.

Why do you like the columnar maples? I like the look of the triangular shaped maples.

Reply To: JILL OF ALL~Kaarisa Blackwell- The bushes currently in my front yard are all lilacs. I might use a couple more as fillers once I'm happy with the tree placement.

I really like the Euonymus bush. I'm certainly going to keep this under consideration. I also saw the Yew trees at the nursery earlier today. I almost purchased these for some landscaping around my house. These are all great ideas.

Now that I'm starting to find plants/trees/shrubs I like, I need to decide where to plant them. My front lot is very long and I'm having trouble visualizing where to put everything to make it flow. I don't want to just throw up a line of juniper trees and call it good. I want to keep the natural look and make sure what I plant flows with everything else. I'll try to snap some more photos tonight.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 1:04PM
mmilos
A multi-trunked river birch underplanted with some shrubs in an island bed near your property line is probably all you need.

Make a large kidney shaped free form bed in the grass and plunk the tree and plants down. It'll help screen your neighbors garage and driveway.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 1:18PM
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I think the maple is way too big for your yard - it'll get 70 feet tall and 35 wide. If you like the red color why not go with a smaller Japanese maple ? Since your lot is rather long I think I would break it up by planting a natural screening like the one below half way and then a friendly fence - low in height ( white picket or the like ) and plant either flowering vines or climbing roses on it. If you don't like the fence idea then try to get some white flowering Japanese spirea - they make wonderful carefree shrubs that don't get too tall . The mixed border below uses small blooming trees, low growing evergreens, mixed perennials with annuals. Dress it up with some artistic birdhouses on tall poles . When you do the border go in about 2 - 3 feet from it to plant and mulch that area . You don't need to have identical borders on each side - except I think for the fence idea plantings or Japanese spirea hedges . If you use the hedges or fence leave a wide opening in the front with no gate . Below is a pic of 'snowmound' spirea which can be found at many garden centers - it's inexpensive and makes a great hedge.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 6:45PM
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Below is a pic of 'snowmound' spirea which can be found at many garden centers - it's inexpensive and makes a great hedge.
0 Likes   September 17, 2013 at 6:58PM
rredpenn
My son brought home a snowmound spirea baby, in a solo cup, from preschool 20 years ago. We planted it, and it is now huge and gorgeous every spring! I bought two more and made an informal hedge of them, and the three of them are the backdrop for some lovely peonies and alliums. All bloom together late spring and everyone in the neighborhood comments how pretty they all are together.
1 Like   September 17, 2013 at 7:08PM
CDR Design
Trevor----I had misunderstood your intention. Thanks for explaining.I thought the purpose what for screening. That is why I suggested the Columnar Maple.

I understand from what you are now saying is that your intention is not screening, but more property line definition.

Yes, definitely move that Japanese Maple. The mistake the previous owner's made was to not plan for full growth. A Japanese Maple planted right next to the house looks fine for the first few years. Then: big problem.

You are smart to plan. Even if you don't do it all now, you can always fill in, using your master plan. Draw it out. Then, there is nothing like seeing the real thing. I use garden hoses to plot gardens. You can play with them until you get the look you want as far as your bedlines.

Remember, big swooping, undulating curves, not dinky ones.

Finally, spray with marking paint.

Since your yard is so flat, adding some dirt and creating a few mounds would add interest. Use plenty of rocks. They require no maintenance and add a lot of texture.
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 1:43AM
CDR Design
Timely article for you on Houzz

0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 2:32AM
CDR Design
Timely article for you on Houzz

0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 2:32AM
Help transitioning between retaining wall and fence on property line
My yard sits lower than than my neighbor. Need ideas...
rvc122
Cost of moving gas line in my property
Do you know how much I should budget for moving a gas...
Masako Wada
wall and planter build on your property line
I purchased house thinking I have free and clear title...
spatel9806
Property Line Disputes?
Ever have any issues with neighbors and property lines?...
Need advice
Can u help me in choosing the right chandelier for...
Haifaa Rihan
Narrow entry wall that opens to large space
Just got this piece. It is a vintage piece. Want to...
Vanessa Sierra-Torres
Best Part of Living in the Western U.S.?
Do you or have you lived in the Western U.S.? What's...
LED chandelier bulb recommendations needed please
We have decided to go with LED bulbs for most of the...
slware
need help choosing exterior colors
need advice for exterior colors to go with a light...
joni1968