How can I arrange this odd hole in my family room.

525630September 17, 2013
The TV has to go on top of the fireplace and there is a hole inside that hole where all the wire goes for the DVD player and other stuff...Looks so terrible... Any ideas what o how can I arrange that space? By the way we are in the process of painting a big art piece for this huge wall.
Essentia Interior Design
Maybe some nice timber shelves to match the timber on the base and fireplace! You should have enough room for you DVD etc and a top shelf for display! could even put mirror tiles on the back of the top display shelf!
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:38AM
Amy Cali
I'd close it up with some sheetrock, tape, spackle, sand it, paint voila it was never there
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:42AM
mmilos
Since your TV is now over the fireplace, those surround speakers aren't really functional for your application. I would replace the system with a surround soundbar mounted under the TV. Have a custom shelf built to house your DVD/receiver. Fill the alcove with cut birch logs - to make it look like firewood storage for your fireplace. They could be arranged neatly and give a natural element to the modern decor.

Eyremont modern · More Info

Or have a custom cabinet screen door made. Maybe something out of a decorative mesh to conceal the space, but allows IR remote signals to pass through.
3 Likes    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:49AM
soberg
By "odd hole", you mean the corner structure? That appears to be a pre-flat screen TV niche as it is obviously made to hold a large CRT set. It is now obsolete and also awkward. I would demolish the whole thing and make the corner just a plain featureless corner again. Assuming no surprises, this is a very simple project for any contractor. By normalizing the corner, you can put the proper focus on your fireplace.
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:52AM
Kreative Interiors
This odd hole can look so good if you paint its slender wall beige or a color complementing your floor and white for the hole's inside. Put a nice feature accessory in it like a bust. Since the hole had electric switched I would totally use that toy advantage and buy a spotlight to throw light on the feature accessory on top, hope the pictures will give u an idea. And oh on the colored slender portion of the wall you could hang frames
1 Like    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:59AM
Kreative Interiors
Paint and spotlights in wall recess just to give you an idea
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:05AM
If I read this post correctly, this *hole* has function, as it houses the equipement for the TV. I would just put a set of doors on this opening and open when needed;)
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:11AM
indianpatti
I like Mmilos idea ... add an interesting door to hide them ..
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:13AM
JILL OF ALL~Kaarisa Blackwell
I might try standing those two gorgeous vases in it and hang a very tall, brightly colored abstract painting (to tie in with your pillows) above it to create a real focal point. Then place a plant (in pillow colored pot) on the right side of nook and a end table and lamp where the vases are now at end of sofa. Would also suggest a glass coffee table, and larger brightly colored, patterned rug.
2 Likes    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 7:16AM
525630
Thanks to all of you! All of your ideas were interesting and helpful. We definitely need the space to keep the DVD and receiver. I promise to post pictures as soon as we are done with this proyect.
    Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 8:05PM
Carlita Villena
Need help with odd-shaped dining room/family room
Open area in front of french doors needs "something!"...
rlane3
I can't decide how to arrange my family room.
We just moved into a home and have been doing all sorts...
emilyburesh
How do I make my family room more cozy?
Our space is 28' by 14'. The off-white couches must...
nasafemme
Need help with placing furniture in this odd shaped Family Room
We recently bought this house - the pictures are from...
waltermelon76
What to put in open space dining room?
Struggling to figure out what to put between these...
tinab174
Colored ceiling in all white bath?
We have until Monday to decide how to paint this room....
domesticimpostor
what goes with a teal couch??
I have this light teal couch and love seat and have...
theruts
Need fireplace design ideas. + any other advice
Need to build our fireplace mantle and wondering what...
svgas
Extending size of living room next to FL lanai...How to handle tile?
Plan is to move sliding glass doors back into the covered...
bmjabber