Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Have you ever had mice?

Emily H
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I don't mean the pet kind. Have you ever had an infestation in your home? How did you rid yourself of your uninvited houseguests?

Lockette's Inspiring Home · More Info

Comments (107)

• Alison Inge
    10 years ago
    Try peanut butter
  • Debi Weiss
    10 years ago
    If you take a cotton ball and soak it with peppermint extract and place it in the area that is the problem.
    Emily H thanked Debi Weiss
  • beachcatt
    10 years ago
    I am really enjoying these mouse-capades stories! Who would think this could be so entertaining? Certainly better than cable TV!
  • magspag
    10 years ago
    High pitched emitters seem to work for my rat problem. Had one chewing electrical wiring. Replaced twice and blocked adjacent hole to no avail prior to plugging device in. 6 months later still good.
  • Diana Summers
    10 years ago
    I'm sitting here on my laptop listening to the sound of a live one in a sticky trap! Yuck!! I like the old fashioned mouse traps instead because they are killed instantly with no suffering.( But my husband has to set them cause I am a sissy.) Mice carry disease, so I have no intention of catching and releasing. I Ieave sticky traps here and there just in case...and today I'm glad I did. I can't employ a cat because I have a lab who would eat IT for dinner.
  • msti802
    10 years ago
    Our problem is that we feed the birds which also attracts the mice. My husband adds peanut butter to a few traps and places them strategically under the deck to catch those critters headed for our basement. Once or twice the traps have disappeared mysteriously. Here's a pic of a thieving squirrel twenty feet up in one of our oaks, dragging the already snapped trap to his acorn cache.
    Emily H thanked msti802
  • JoAnn McDougall
    10 years ago
    We have mice occasionally, but they are usually pets our Abyssinian brings home. Unfortunately they are in various stages of health, but due to her motherly instincts and her desire to look after her new fuzzy pet, they do not get the chance to invade the walls before they get "tonged" from her grasp... Yes the barbecue tongs so I don't have to touch them... And back to freedom or a place my mind doesn't like to go...RIP Stuart Little
    Emily H thanked JoAnn McDougall
  • kgeorge2012
    10 years ago
    Cats...
    Emily H thanked kgeorge2012
  • patch87939
    10 years ago
    We have 5 cats and a dog. No mouse would survive. And truth be told, the reptile population around our house seems to keep the rodents at bay. However, don't ask me about the snakes in the kitchen.....
    Emily H thanked patch87939
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The idea of my cats catching a mouse and then crawling in my bed. Oh. My. God.
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @patch Well, now I have to ask you about snakes in the kitchen. EEK!
  • madhayes
    10 years ago
    Ours came in through a minuscule opening next to the A/C line. We found the opening by turning off all bsmt lights ( daytime) & looking to see where light was entering. Per exterminator's advice, fill the hole with steel wool-- they don't like to chew it. Use " regular" traps baited with hard salami. It worked for us. And if you have birdseed -- keep it in a container that seals securely, sweep up any that may drop. Mice love birdseed.
    Emily H thanked madhayes
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    We've had one small mouse, and we caught it with peanut butter in a no-kill trap. We actually drove it into the country and released it in a field, as we didn't want it coming back. Our previous house occasionally had bats in the attic, and one August (which is either mating or migration month--I can't remember which) one mistakenly came down and got stuck flying around the house, unintentionally terrorizing us. Our rather prissy little dog at the time (a sheltie who acted as if she were a prom queen) surprised us all by leaping high into the air and catching it mid-flight like a frisbee. She then dropped it onto the ground (unhurt) and stood over it growling until we could come take care of the situation. The poor bat was terrified, so we put it in a box and drove it many miles out into the country and released it near an abandoned barn. Needless to say, our dog was quite the heroine of the hour.
    Emily H thanked feeny
  • lauren617
    10 years ago
    We've had some mice coming into our house the past few weeks as the first few cold nights have arrived in New England. Like many people with cats, I only know they are here because our cat "tells" us. She has brought us live and dead gifts a few times sinced we moved into our new, old house. We patched up what we assume is their main entrance: A very obvious hole by our kitchen porch. We first patched with that yellow spray foam and they promptly chewed through. We finally got it sealed by stuffing it with layers of steel wool and outdoor caulk/sealer. Now that their access is closed off, it's just a matter of time before the cat gets them or they go into one of our have-a-heart traps...if they were smart, they'd know which option to take! We also got a few of those plug-in high frequency noise makers to put on the wall where the previous hole was and in areas where the cat was focusing her hunts. We went through a few days of 2 kills/catches a night, but now, it seems like we may have gotten ahead of it and the cat has been curled up at the end of the bed during prime hunting hours.
    Emily H thanked lauren617
  • lauren617
    10 years ago
    Also, to everyone using sticky traps: they are totally inhumane! If you have to kill them, do it quickly. Mice will often chew their own legs off to get off of those traps. Or, they starve/thirst to death slowly. TERRIBLE. They should not even be legal.

Don't make another creature suffer because you're too cheap or too scared to us a quick-kill or no-kill trap. I BEG YOU: Don't use sticky traps. I think they even have quick kill traps that have everything contained in a black box so you don't have to see the dead mouse. So much better than sticky traps.
    Emily H thanked lauren617
  • Marrie Grady
    10 years ago
    Mice carry diseases and are very destructive. They are almost as destructive as termites. Sorry people I am not going to live with mice and I use poison that kills them in my basement. They die and I sweep them up and dispose of them. As far as other critters in the attic, moth balls work to keep all critters out. They hate the smell. Roaches and flea's I use good ole fashion Borax. I have borax sprinkled through out my basement to get rid of any roaches that may want to come into the house.
    Emily H thanked Marrie Grady
  • patch87939
    10 years ago
    Emily, snakes are a fact of life in Florida, along with the rest of the reptiles and amphibians that seem to be everywhere. And my kitchen door is opened constantly with kids and critters going in and out. As snakes make their way along the cool foundation of the house they will slither in the house. Fortunately the kitchen is as far as they usually get before they are discovered. It is disconcerting but usually they are harmless and it isn't often....once every few years and just enough to keep us wary! Cats usually keep the creatures out of the house though thank goodness.
    Emily H thanked patch87939
  • njcook53
    10 years ago
    I have caught over 30 mice this summer. I finally went with the a Mouse Electronic Killer, you bait it and they step on a plate and get electrocuted. I have tried almost everything, except poison. Our cat is a "catch and release" cat - likes to play and gets disappointed when something in the mouse breaks. I think this is the most humane way to get ride of the stinky, poopy, peeing little critters. I hate them! And I am also sealing up the places I think they get into. Peppermint oil doesn't work for long, peppermint gum doesn't work for long, nor does Dial soap etc. etc., and the "you won't see them" traps or glue traps I don't care for. Look on Amazon for Victor Electronic mouse traps.
    Emily H thanked njcook53
  • beachcatt
    10 years ago
    I had the "eeeeek-ing" rat story, above, but I also have a snake story. Yes! Snakes got into my house! Double-eeeeek, aaaack and ewwww!
  • liquidsunshine13
    10 years ago
    hmmm - you know you're a parent when you buy baby rats to feed your child's pet snake - the next thing you know you can't stand to feed the rats to the snake and they all (snake & rats) escape into the house - then a rat that has turned into a pet gets sick & you take it to the vet and the snake has disappeared forever. oh my...
    Emily H thanked liquidsunshine13
  • beachcatt
    10 years ago
    Hi Patch 87939; I live in Florida too and back when we were newlyweds (much younger) we had snakes in our house too. The first time I found them, they had hatched or whatever snakes do, into my laundry basket. I picked up the first t-shirt to throw into the washer and baby snakes were slithering around everywhere! The next time, I got up at night to go pee and as I sat there half asleep, in the dark, something FELL INTO MY LAP! I started screaming and flipped on the light and there was a five foot red rat snake grinning at me! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! I jumped up, it fell on the floor between me and the door and I made a leap, toes pointed in perfect form like a 150 pound prima ballerina and sailed out of that doorway into the bedroom and kept running with my husband yelling in the background "Rat snakes aren't poisonous!" I STILL turn on the light at night when I make a midnight run to the bathroom and that was 30 years and 15 remodeled houses ago!
    Emily H thanked beachcatt
  • marjmullins
    10 years ago
    The electronic plug in's actually work. They keep the chipmunks out of the garage and mice out of the house. My parents used them for years. No critters. My aunt never had mice until they were replacing water pipes on her street. She became very frightened of a mouse that got in the house and was very bold. I brought her 4 for her first floor (you need one for every room). My cousin and I pluged them in and the mouse went crazy--it ran in circles around the room. We all went out to dinner, when we came back NO Mouse. Have not seen it in 5 months. It must have found it's way out the way it came in. It is hard to believe, but it does work. Didn't bother my aunt's dog, I would be concerned if you have small animals-guinea pigs, hampsters, ect. My mom's neighbor's cat didn't seem to care when she wandered over the to garage.
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    Weird that I saw this discussion today as I just saw a mouse run into my garage this afternoon. I might have to invest in some if those plug in thingies. Providing they don't force the mice into residence in the house. Lol.
  • PRO
    Janet Bludau Fine Art
    10 years ago
    Can't say I have but I absolutely LOVE these decals or whatever they are of the mice on the stairs!
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    Wow! I have these exact mice on my stairs too! Hee hee
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    The mice are from Martha Stewart at Michaels
  • jannsolo
    10 years ago
    After some landscaping work disturbed several rodent nests at the house we're remodeling, within a week, they were IN the house. It was nervewracking in the extreme. As I investigated what to do, it came down to paying $100/month (after a much higher initiation fee) forever or live with them.

I won't bore you with what didn't work. What worked was a Ratinator, a live-trap recommended by a country store nearby. After a few days of leaving bait in it with the doors open, we closed first one door then another. On the third night, we locked the two doors and by next morning, we had three "visitors" to dispose of. The Ratinator comes with a plastic tray deep enough to soak the cage.

Within a week, we caught numerous invaders and chased them into the garage, basically. Now we're cleaning out the garage. At some point, we'll chase them out of the yard and back into the nearest canyon where they came from. It's a hilly area. Everyone here has stories of rodent infestation. We have tiny pets, poisons are out of the question. The snap traps never caught a thing. The Ratinator doesn't fail. If we have a night without success, we've learned to leave the thing open again for a day or two. We did this earlier this week and after two days caught the largest rodent I have ever seen except in Manhattan during a garbage strike!

Honestly, I had qualms and felt bad for some time before I realized how destructive and dangerous they were. We lost electricity to half the kitchen and we've now found damage elsewhere. They could have set the house on fire with us in it. It's them or us. I'm doing what I must.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    NOPE !!!
    Gobi peers out his cat portal · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    My daughter has lived on military bases on both coasts for the last 10 years. They have had problems with the little critters in each place they have lived. Once the mice ate the wiring in her brand new car. The mice were coming from a vacant unit next door and after some very heated "negotiations" the military took care of repairing the car. Another time (while I was visiting. Yikes!!!!) she told me she had "A" very bold mouse that would run across the kitchen floor anytime of the day or night so watch out. Yes, I saw the mouse often! She tried all methods, both humane and inhumane, to get rid of that mouse, however it outsmarted her for weeks. Finally, she called the property management company on base to handle the problem. When it was all said and done, she didn't have "A" mouse, she had HUNDREDS and was seeing only one at a time! I was so happy I had returned home and wasn't there to see the carnage! I hate mice.....
  • User
    10 years ago
    Cats and dogs are the best answer In my humble opinion. Our cats brought us "presents" for years. Not just mice, but shrews, snakes, frogs, you name it. When our first cat got older she was either unable or too lazy to catch critters, so she started bringing us magnolia leaves. She left two little teeth marks in the leaves and that's how we learned why a single leaf would appear on our outdoor mat. We had a pacifist Sheltie that lounged around watching birds and squirrels pick food out of his bowl just feet away and eat it in peace. The dog we have now however has dug up the backyard of our new house trying to catch moles. Once a week or so she is successful. We figure she catches them often enough to earn her keep!
  • clpickett
    10 years ago
    This is timely for me. Just this morning my husband saw the cutest little mouse in the toilet (!!!) while he glanced down, mid-poop! Sorry, but it's a 100% true story! We're not quite sure how it got there. We're on our own private septic system. Better than the black snake he saw a few years ago. We'll be buying some mouse traps the next time we go to the hardware store.
  • Bisi Okusami
    10 years ago
    @abcdefg1234567, your 'Rat' story got me in stitches. You narration got me rolling in laughter that tears began streaming from my eyes. The imagery of the whole scenario played in my mind. It was hilarious considering that if that happened to me, I would have required a 'shrink' for a very long time. Rats and Mice are my 'pet hates'. I used to have mice in my house until I had a renovation in my kitchen and instructed the contractor to SEAL all holes and BLOCK all voids with Rodent resistant material. I now enjoy my home but, I know that the breeding 'buggas' run around in the loft space and void spaces between the foundation and partition walls of our 90-year old semi-detached house.
  • beachcatt
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your nice comment bissy10. I'm glad I could make you laugh. When I met my husband I knew ZERO about remodeling houses. I had no idea there would be so much drama in my life just from learning and working on "the worst houses in the best neighborhoods". Rats, snakes, "electrocution" , flooding, sleeping on the floor in the living room for months until there was a decent bedroom to move into. One house we sold was, unbeknownst to us, turned into a cocaine factory with the DEA looking for US.......aaah! True love! You never know what you're going to find when you tear something out. I know what you mean about sealing everything up!
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    Tried everything.....The only solution to permanently get rid of mice/rates is to get a cat.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Always have puddy tats. Even used to get them written into leases when I rented. Trained each cat with mouse toys and praised and rewarded them when they " killed" the toy.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Me Uggh. Me like mice for hors d'oevres.
  • kimedge
    10 years ago
    Apparently if you have rats you won't get mice and vice versa. I used to have a cat who loved the attic and she'd spend all day up there mouse-keteering and that would be the end of them for another year.
  • Beth Bevington
    10 years ago
    Yes, to high pitched emitters. We keep them in a motor home and one in my dining room. Doesn't effect the other animals, but, seems to disturb them enough to leave and not come back.
    Every now and then my cat brings one in, just to play with.
    Now, they leave quickly. No pain, and they live
  • gurukaram
    10 years ago
    A whole house remodel finally took care of our rat problem!
  • PRO
    Daybreak Workroom LLC
    10 years ago
    That staircase is just great! 3 in our present Pride and there is at least one rodent/day on the front doorstep. That's just one of the reasons we love them. :)
  • gurukaram
    10 years ago
    My cats were useless in regards to rats - exterminator said most rats are too fast for cats, but i think my big boys were never trained by their mom.
  • gurukaram
    10 years ago
    Rats will move in and kill off the mice!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    No, but understand they're quite a delicacy if properly prepared! Cats love them!
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Interesting that people say the high pitched things work for them - someone plugged one in without my knowledge when I had pet rats and as far as I could tell my rats didn't care at ALL. (I made them unplug it when I found out anyway, since I didn't want to be tormenting my rats if they could hear it, but there were no signs of distress or trying to get away, so I'm not convinced they do much.)

Before we had pet rats we had a mouse problem, and even had the landlord call in an exterminator because although I felt bad about using bait, nothing else was working. Only the bait didn't work either. Happened to get pet rats, and someone told me to put the used litter from their litter tray (in the cage) around the house in places we knew the mice were. So I tried that (put it out in plastic tubs with no lid like you get with yogurt and that sort of thing) and lo and behold, the mice vanished. I believe the idea is that since rats will kill mice, if it smells like there's a rat around they relocate. Ended up having a couple of friends get litter from me for the same purpose, felt really weird parceling out used litter. :P

(Don't get pet rats just to get rid of mice, though. Find someone who'll just give you some stuff from cleaning the cage. Doesn't have to be stinky to us - rodents have better senses of smell.)

I think the key, particularly using stuff like the high pitched emitters or the mint oil, is to make sure you're doing as much as possible to be uninviting, also. Those things are just not going to be enough to put off a mouse family if otherwise your house is like the mouse Ritz, y'know? I mean, you'd put up with annoying music playing to get really good free food probably, why wouldn't the mouse?
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    gurukaram, your cats are too kind :)
  • gurukaram
    10 years ago
    Hmm, kind is not the word that I would use to describe them, lazy maybe..luxurious to be sure!
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    They're adorable.
  • mkritt
    10 years ago
    I've already commented on this story but...

Just the other day I was sitting on the sofa, peacefully watching tv, when my rather large puppy jumped over the back. He ran into the kitchen after Lily the cat. At first I thought he was just running after her, but then he ran into the dining room acting like he does when he's grabbed something he's not supposed to have. I ran in after him and pried open his mouth, and sure enough, a tiny mouse was sitting at the back of his throat.

I was literally holding open his jaws, shaking his head, to dislodge the poor little thing. Of course, all the commotion brought my other three dogs and Lily over to see what was happening. So, once the mouse dropped out of Ty's mouth, without thinking (or else no way) I scooped the little in-shock fellow up in my hand, ran out the door, and deposited him over the fence.

He sat for a second, and then bounded off, hopefully never to return...
  • Tera Lambert
    10 years ago
    We live in the country so we have to watch for them all the time. The best thing to get rid of them is D-CON! Follow the directions on the package.
  • Greg Bixler
    3 years ago

To those advocating against Sticky Traps, ive just used a set of 4 sticky's to catch both a Rat and then a mouse that have been living in my kitchen avoiding my two cats who wait hunting for them all the time. The rat has ran through the house even through their long cat tunnel in living room. When the cats became aware they chased it through the house 3times i cornered it under a desk, then it slipped away until one day with the slider open i litterally ushered it outside with only a determined glare and a sweater to pounce on it if tried anything, it leaped in the air next to the fireplace landed and looked at me realized i would move slow if it moved slow... it thought about escaping but its only option was under the couch where sides were blocked and its been trapped under on several occasions with both my cats hunting it under where they can reach but it hid deeper where they can't and waited them out for hours,,, they are out/indoor so they would leave and rat stayed...happened many times until i ushered the thing out. But i kept Knala inside who was going to catch and eviscerate in in the Garden tho i did not want her brining it in again as she does not kill most of her prey and leaves most unharmed(Lizards) as she lives with a Bearded Dragon. I foolishly left the door open some nights later and the rat had been waiting and Waltz its lucky butt back inside to live.... Cats very clearly notified me it was under refrigerator so i used 4 sticky Mouse traps, upon returning home it was flopping about Lucky as can be as my cats came i very soon and would have annihilated it. It did bleed from a toe as it had struggled but calmed down as i covered it then slowly helped unstick the cute thing, last one was a team effort of using me pulling its tail while she pulled using her hands and pushed with a hooked toe to land in the enclosure i set. Now she lives in my room above Zorro Dragons Dubia Roch Colony. My 3rd Grade teacher breed rats and gave them to her student to keep as pets, i had one for 4 years as a kid and fed my corn snake live mice for 17 years so i see them as much as pets, or pet food as i do as pests. They are remarkably aware and cute little buggers, worth noting Scabberina(she my pet now :3) is far smaller than the male rat i had as a small child who as the time felt like smol pupper. Quite a ridiculous adventure with comical senses ive only seen in Mouse Hunt or Tom n Jerry... The mouse who i only just caught today using the same 4 recycled mouse sticky traps was entirely unharmed(no injured toe) as i audibly witnessed the moment it got stuck and promptly calmed it down then helped into enclosure with food n water. This Mouse has had so much facetime with me as its been living between stove, behind cuppord wall and refrigerator for 19months+ coming out to clean used dishes or find crumbs, highly intelligent tiny thing only my silent lava corn had a chance of catching on the fly, which is where this mouse will end up after its lived out rest of its life. I love Aĺl animals will always put my life at risk to help another good person no matter what species as Humans would never have been able to sustain their evolutionary path in life without that deep unconditional empathed universal kindness engrained into human soul. This may seem an exaggerated level of wholesomeness but meta-Physic spiritual morals aside this conscious understanding of life is practical on a fundamental degree of practical higher functionality as the whole point of life, even through opposing force is only to create systems that perform the most work with the least amount of effort. (Manly P.hall,Alan Watts, JBPeterson) MeaningWave is recommended music for any folks out there. Asolutley every thing in this life carries meaning down to the finest details only until we realise and respect that truth constantly from every angle do we wash our minds of the associate hate and fear that other corrupts minds instill through the life we grow through. Feel for yourself, unify thoughts and emotion and be free to make your own choices through love. Stay true your values that you help form between you and nature's sacred truth's don't be fooled, don't compromise. "There's a war going on and the prize is the soul"~Prince "most people are good(they have to be)...i know it sounds corny, but love is the answer"-Elon Musk