Initial kitchen plans, help please...
Victoria
Hi, we are building a new house. Kitchen is room at top left in picture attached, dimensions are in millimetres. Triangle poking out is a breakfast nook with banquette seating. There will be double doors to adjacent lounge, possibly concealed behind book cases or kitchen cabinetry. Smallest room from bottom of kitchen is a pantry, to the left of it is a laundry/utility room, to the right is a shower room. Windows and doors can not move apart from the laundry door which can slide to left or right a bit.
I don't know where to start with layout but need to think a bit as we need to arrange drainage and services layouts. I am going to use a local kitchen designer and am seeking some suggestions to take to them as a starting point. I'd like to consider concealing pantry door in cabinetry.
All (polite) suggestions welcome... :-)
Victoria
I am in UK, not sure why it says US, my error I imagine.
September 17, 2013 at 10:24AM     
shelleyuk
Oh Victoria, bookcase doors! I am drooling.

Sarah Beeny would query whether you need a double garage....
September 17, 2013 at 10:24AM     
shelleyuk
Mine used to do that, you have to change it on the website on your profile page. I haven't worked out how to do it using the app.
September 17, 2013 at 10:27AM     
Victoria
I know, I know, expensive storage... Probably put a ping pong table in it!
September 17, 2013 at 10:27AM     
mefor
Is there room in wall to do a frosted glass pocket door? A modern frosted glass pocket door, not an "oldy worldy" pocket door. Very clean lines. Plus shared light between spaces, although diffused.
September 17, 2013 at 10:30AM   
OnePlan
scope for a fantastic supersized island I think !!! :-)
September 17, 2013 at 10:31AM     
Victoria
For which opening mforr? We don't really want to have obvious doors between kitchen and lounge as we don't plan on opening them often. The lounge will be used by my husband and I as a hiding place from our children:-) Only open on holidays and high days!
September 17, 2013 at 10:33AM     
shelleyuk
Karen will be able to give you better tips but as you know we've just been planning our kitchen (for weeks).

I started with making a list of the things I really wanted to include. In my case I wanted a large induction range, lots of glass fronted cabinets, space for an American style fridge freezer and an appliance garage so that I didn't have to have the microwave, toaster and food mixer out cluttering the worktops. Do you have an essentials list?
September 17, 2013 at 10:35AM     
shelleyuk
The boys don't need to go into the living room, you have the perfect kids space in that little tiny room next to the utility room!
September 17, 2013 at 10:36AM     
OnePlan
Yes - good idea to add your wish list to this post ! And any existing things to keep too
September 17, 2013 at 10:38AM     
Victoria
Yes. Here we go:
Island or peninsula with sink, dishwasher and built in recycling bin.
Drawers not cupboards on base units.
Units to reach ceilings.
Eye level built in oven.
Lots of worktop as I am a messy cook
Not twee, no twiddly bits.
Not so modern it hurts.
A place for everything to live in to avoid clutter.
Large hob.
Second sink if possible.
September 17, 2013 at 10:40AM     
shelleyuk
Is the window opening on the back walls window or doors to the outside?
September 17, 2013 at 10:45AM     
mefor
Victoria, I meant for the pantry area, I assumed it was a separate little room?
September 17, 2013 at 10:48AM     
mefor
And for laundry. :)
September 17, 2013 at 10:50AM     
shelleyuk
Do you have photos in an ideabook?
September 17, 2013 at 10:51AM   
shelleyuk
I like this concealed pantry

September 17, 2013 at 10:53AM     
September 17, 2013 at 10:54AM     
Victoria
ShelleyUK, I have both those in my idea book! Exactly what I have in mind.
September 17, 2013 at 10:55AM     
Victoria
Here is idea book, some of these are a bit twee for me but you'll get the gist.

September 17, 2013 at 10:57AM     
shelleyuk
We have practically identical ideabooks - although I'm going to live vicariously through you since my kitchen makeover is a budget job from IKEA not a lovely custom built creation.
September 17, 2013 at 11:12AM     
Victoria
I may yet be barging you in the aisles, depending on how the budget goes...
September 17, 2013 at 11:13AM     
Victoria
I can put cabinets in any variety of configurations, just not sure which would make best use of the space.
September 17, 2013 at 1:03PM     
shelleyuk
I am assuming that the window at the back is just a window and not french doors, is that right?
September 17, 2013 at 1:36PM     
Victoria
Folding sliding doors to top left corner, sashes in triangular bay.
September 17, 2013 at 1:38PM     
shelleyuk
Right I'll do some scribbles but I warn you they won't be pretty!

intial thoughts are:

1. you won't want base units going all the way to the back wall because your folding doors will be hitting them all them all the time.

2. If you are not having the base units going all the way to the back wall you might want to incorporate the corner where you currently have the entrance to the utility room. Perhaps think about moving the door to the utility room next to the pantry door.

3. Are you having two sinks or just the one in the island? I agree with Karen that a super sized island would be great in the space. I'd put the sink facing your folding doors.

4. What shape table are you having in the breakfast nook. Circular? You will want to make sure it doesn't clash with the island. I would think about a rectangular island running parallel to the back wall run of units.
September 17, 2013 at 1:49PM     
mefor
Sorry to interrupt the flow, ladies. Just wanted to post a few pics of the type of pocket doors I meant for pantry and laundry. Space savers as they don't swing into either space. :)
I mean a single door, but posted a double as well just to show a different style. Also a mirrored option.
September 17, 2013 at 1:54PM     
shelleyuk
Hi Michele, interrupt away! We'll need victoria to confirm but whilst I think the pocket doors are a great space saver they might not work here since we tend to use solid block walls downstairs in the UK rather than stud framed walls and so there is usually no pocket for the door to slide into.
September 17, 2013 at 1:59PM     
Victoria
This is true.
September 17, 2013 at 2:01PM     
mefor
I understand ladies, I was thinking a false wall, but I would probably be right in thinking you wouldn't want to give up 8 or so inches of kitchen space. Though it would only be a false wall as far as the door needs to roll in, not the whole length of wall :)
September 17, 2013 at 2:17PM   
OnePlan
Hi ! I'm wondering if you might consider WM and TD stacked where the internal door to garage is ( so next to an outside wall to vent ) - block up the door there, to kitchen too.... if you then use what you described as the 'pantry' as a direct walk through to kitchen... you could have an access door within this passageway on the left (opposite the back door), and if you split the utility/ laundry and pantry between ie utility on garage wall and pantry on kitchen wall - this would take out an extra door in the kitchen - so allowing you kitchen running around a corner up to the passageway ... Does that make sense ?!
Or is the laundry/ utility/ back door a doggie area too - as if it is then it's not idea for pantry too ?!
If a doggie is to be considered - then have the access to the pantry directly in the kitchen ie put a wall 2' into the laundry room and access it via doors that look like tall cabinet doors ( allowing space for coats and boots still by back door .) will give you a walk in pantry from inside the kitchen that might be more practical ?!
September 17, 2013 at 2:28PM     
shelleyuk
Did warn you it wouldn't be pretty.....

This is roughly what I was thinking although the doors to the pantry and utility are messy and need some thinking about. I'd want little two seater sofas and a woodburner near to the folding doors but there might not be room.
September 17, 2013 at 2:31PM     
shelleyuk
Cross posts but Karen's idea is great and solves the messy utility/Pantry doors. Presumably you need a Cat flap somewhere?! We put ours through the garage wall.
September 17, 2013 at 2:33PM     
OnePlan
The more I look the more I think that the small pantry you have been allocated isn't really practical - as it's too narrow to have side shelving - so just deep shelving at end - not ideal ! If it were wider it might work better - but would be better as a walk through I think ...
September 17, 2013 at 2:36PM     
OnePlan
I've printed your drawing and 2' is too deep - in hind site I'd leave that room ( still accessed from the side entrance in passageway ) but use it all as laundry / utility - and have a long back of tall cabinets along the bottom kitchen wall, including a faux door to passageway all the way up to the hall door ! This will give you plenty of tall pantry storage within the kitchen and tall housing for oven etc and can have base cabinets coming off and going up to the second window - then have an island (landscape) and then secret door ( maybe in bookcases all along that last wall ) into grown ups lounge ?!
September 17, 2013 at 2:49PM     
Victoria
I hear what you are saying, in fact I have already bought the stacking kit for WM and TD.
We are having heat recovery so no need to vent as all warm air is extracted. No dogs but 3 cats and idea of separate pantry preferable. Is also that it is a colder storage space. I can make it wider by borrowing space from laundry.
Please ignore current cabinet layout shown as it is purely indicative.
We thought we would move laundry door towards pantry door so we could run units into corner.
September 17, 2013 at 2:52PM     
Victoria
Cross posted
September 17, 2013 at 2:53PM     
Victoria
I considered that layout, and worked it up roughly in 3d and I just thought it looked a bit empty. I don't want the whole room to be too kitcheny if that makes sense.
September 17, 2013 at 2:55PM     
Victoria
Very rough as was fiddling things around afterwards.
September 17, 2013 at 2:58PM     
OnePlan
I'm pooped ! So calling it a day ! But before I go - this is very basic outline of idea ... Having read what you just wrote I'm two steps behind I think - but will post it anyway
September 17, 2013 at 3:08PM     
OnePlan
Right I really am going to bed now - one more idea to think about before I go ...
September 17, 2013 at 3:16PM     
Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
Hey Karen @ One Plan..sorry I missed you! Wanted to let you know the kitchen designs you sent my clients were fabulous! They loved them. And they couldn't believe the price (: Kitchen designers here wanted 3X as much and probably would have spent half the time! Working on getting you a second contract before you catch on and raise those rates LOL. The exact detailing you provide is going to make the build- out simple. Any chance of getting you to move to this side of the pond?
Drop me an e-mail first thing!
joe
September 17, 2013 at 6:07PM     
OnePlan
Hi Joe - fired one off now as am having an early start ! Glad they loved them !! might just catch you if you are working late !

@ Victoria , Just looking over these ideas and think I need to rethink as was tired earlier - so not accurately taking into account the scale of this room ! You can do so much more with it ! It's not fair on you, for me to give you snippets of help when I'm tired ! Sorry ! If you want to book you some proper, day time, design time - you will get better results ! I'm not sure of your timescale - but I'm booking jobs now for middle of October !
September 17, 2013 at 8:11PM   
shelleyuk
It is a big room which is why I'd put something else in it. Have you considered Karens idea of changing the breakfast nook into sofa seating (nice to have the boys in the same room whilst you're cooking even if they are engrossed in horrible histories!) and then putting a table by the folding doors. That would make it a great multi function room.
September 18, 2013 at 12:13AM     
shelleyuk
If it helps at all this is a picture of our current kitchen just about to be ripped out. The length of our kitchen is about the same as the depth of yours (yours will be double the width of ours). We have a peninsula rather than an island but you can see that there is plenty of room for a table and chairs (or relaxed seating if you are attached to your breakfast nook)

We live in our kitchen. There is always someone sitting at the table. http://houzz.com/discussions/539781
September 18, 2013 at 12:18AM     
OnePlan
just a quick thought ... see still thinking about it while I'm working ! put WM & TD in the small space close to plumbing in shower room and have pantry in larger walk through space too keep area cool - could have pocket door to keep panty separate ! ( ie cats not helping them selves )
September 18, 2013 at 1:40AM     
OnePlan
forgot to add the sketch !
September 18, 2013 at 1:41AM     
chloeraymond1990
Victoria I will look at this later today and get back to you with some ideas
September 18, 2013 at 1:43AM     
OnePlan
hey - my coffee just kicked in 3rd of the morning ) - so forget pantry in big laundry room as if you come in from the car via the garage you will need that room as laundry / coats / football kit / school bags etc etc etc !! I would strongly suggest you have a pantry in the kitchen - save your legs all that walking every day !! make the laundry bigger to include the pantry space and have boot and coat racks in there too ( like US mudroom) and have a built in all singing all dancing pantry in the kitchen !
September 18, 2013 at 1:56AM     
shelleyuk
I don't think you'll need it since your kitchen is large but if you're a stockpile obsessive like me (snowed in one too many times and watched far too many zombie films) you can always have extra storage cupboards in your garage for tins and dry goods etc.
September 18, 2013 at 2:22AM     
architectrunnerguy
What's the room at the upper right?
September 18, 2013 at 2:23AM   
Victoria
Sorry for my absence this morning, I am at work so it makes it a bit trickier to keep tabs on what is going on. I will read and update shortly.
September 18, 2013 at 4:06AM   
Victoria
Architect runner guy, that room is our lounge. Oneplan, Sheeley, love your comments. On our original designs we didn't have a pantry and I have lusted after one, may have to bite the bullet and lose it, would make design simpler. I will try to attach my laundry/ utility/mud idea book.
September 18, 2013 at 4:10AM   
Victoria
September 18, 2013 at 4:13AM     
budliza
we are remodeling and adding onto a home. we have lots of pieces that we want to incorporate into our home. For example, we have old mail boxes from a local post office that we want to some how turn into the base for our kitchen island. any thoughts/suggestions?
September 18, 2013 at 4:22AM   
Victoria
Budliza, I think you will get more responses if you start a new thread detailing your ideas and add some images to illustrate them :/)
Happy Houzzing!
September 18, 2013 at 4:47AM     
Victoria
Face looks a bit odd! :-)
September 18, 2013 at 4:47AM     
Melody Martin
Victoria and OnePlan, I love the first rendering that OnePlan did utilizing the narrow area as the walk-thru to the garage, and then the laundry room on the left. If those are shelves across from the washer, dryer, and utility sink, that is great! Would love to see a double oven (maybe in the corner, to the right of the sink in your 3D sketch?) especially if you like to cook. Ok now, here's MY favorite idea, which is what many new homes here in the US are doing. They are making the kitchen, eating, and "lounge" area (family room) all one open space, and it is being received VERY well! If it's not structurally possible to take out the whole wall between the lounge and the kitchen, then maybe leave the support there, but making it a sort of half-wall, with bookcases up the supporting columns, and maybe a 2-way gas fireplace in between; or vice versa, with the fireplace in the middle as the support, with half-wall bookcases on each side. I'll check for a picture... Victoria, LOVE the pic of the laundry/mud room. If you have Pinterest in the UK, check my board for "My Right Hand, Right Mind" under Melody Martin. It's a collection of pics to combine laundry/hobby/craft/mud/catch-all room for keys, shoes, backpacks, etc. I SOOO want a space like that! PS - what do "twee" and "twiddly" mean?
September 18, 2013 at 6:28AM     
Victoria
Thanks Melody. I don't actually want to open the space up any further as I'd like to have a more formal lounge. Lovely pictures.
Twee- excessively sentimental, sweet, or pretty
Twiddly-fussy, overly ornate
September 18, 2013 at 6:49AM     
Melody Martin
These look funny...the top 2 are one home and the bottom 2 are a separate home.
September 18, 2013 at 6:50AM     
Melody Martin
Ha! We must have been typing at the same time. And you're welcome. And thanks for my new words! ;)
September 18, 2013 at 6:51AM     
Victoria
My 3d image is very rough, app didn't have just a stove top or a built in double oven to allow me to show them in position.
September 18, 2013 at 7:47AM   
Melody Martin
I meant to comment on that 3d image...that was great!! How did you do that, and so quickly? I SOOO need to know how to do that!!!
September 18, 2013 at 8:48AM   
Victoria
Used an app called interior designer for ipad, don't be fooled, I had done it previously, not in between posts!
September 18, 2013 at 9:01AM     
Victoria
So far I've had some really useful suggestions. Just wonder if anyone else wants to contribute?
September 18, 2013 at 1:11PM     
Kevin
Don't give up on your dream for a pantry and separate laundry! This is a huge space. In this layout the pantry is roughly 2.5m x 1.5m, but it's a cabinet (this saves you 100mm of wall space). Putting it on the wall with refrigerator and oven keeps the cabinet face flush across the entire wall. You could do really great things with the doors of the pantry and refrigerator to add character. In this design I think the pantry doors work best as sliders.

It's nice to have a window over the sink. Because you don't have a nice center window it makes more sense to put it in the island, where it can face out through your banquette window.

The diagonal island give multiple "chefs" plenty of room to move around and prep. An extra prep sink could be put on the end of the island or under the window to the left or right of the range.

In your laundry, include counter tops for folding. Coat closet and shoe cubby takes advantage of space that's otherwise unutilized.
September 18, 2013 at 3:19PM     
Kevin
Maybe incorporate a small (400-450mm deep) built-in bench at the end of the "cabinets/counter" area of the laundry to provide a place to put on your shoes. You'll still have 1m+ of workable counter top next to the washer.
September 18, 2013 at 3:50PM     
Italian Interiors
Looks like its laid out for a basic l shaped kitchen with island. Sink typically goes under sink (if not in island) and range on wall perpendicular to it. Fridge can go on end of the longer wall, watching its proximity to entrance ways.
Along the back wall between the laundry and pantry could be a good place for tall pantry units if you would like more storage space, but again being weary of appropriate clearance for movement. Bit seems fairly straight forward, you're kitchen designer will know what to do about layout- it's more about thinking about what is your vision or how you might like to use it
September 18, 2013 at 3:52PM     
Victoria
Thanks, I have bitten the bullet and given up on the idea of a walk in pantry :( Instead I will have 1 or 2 pantry cupboards incorporated into the main kitchen. The wall between laundry and kitchen needs to stay straight for structural reasons, but thanks for the suggestion kevjvek, it has given me things to think about.
September 18, 2013 at 10:42PM     
OnePlan
Hi Victoria, if you have time, if you concentrate on how you want your furniture placed in the formal lounge room, can you add it to your design, as this affects where the opening into the lounge can be - which affects the wall space in the kitchen on that side - also if you can add ( somewhere doesn't need to be on a plan ) the depth of the laundry, as can add the entire space, in to the pantry recess too now - so can see that would be just under 4m long - so looking good size to get everything in that you want in there, including laundry folding surface and baskets and coat/ shoe/ boot area like in your Ideabook...
... There's room for a dining table as well as an island and the corner sofa area in the window area, especially as you don't want it to feel too kitcheny !
Did you want the dining in the window area or soft sofa area there ?!
Maybe if you change the folding sliding door opening to the left ( so stacks on the right when open) this will allow full run of kitchen on that side with a straight island in front of it - or even an L shape island ( see my pro page for an L shape island example) ... Alternatively ( if there's water above ie a bathroom?!? ) there's scope to have about a 3-4m run on the formal lounge wall if you have the opening near the entrance door or near the seating - but if you wanted to doors central (say 2000mm wide, so in proportion to room better ) then that side might be better suited to the table and chairs / sofa etc ...
A lot of outside influence affects the way we can use the room - so need a general idea of where plumbing will be upstairs and, as I already said, the flow through to the formal lounge will have impact on the door placement etc ....
It's like a rubrics cube - you can't just do the top yellow !!
Looking forward to seeing how would will set up the lounge ! With the indoor and out door fireplace !! ( nice touch !!)
September 18, 2013 at 11:07PM     
Kevin
Yes, the deep pantry would require an extra 2.5m header running above. It squeezes your laundry a little, though there's still a full meter of width between cabinets and wall...enough for one person to move around easily. If the header is cost prohibitive you still have a lot of storage space available in the kitchen itself. At 7.5 x 6.5 it's really very large.

I love the banquette and diagonal bump out, by the way. Very nice element that will create a cozy nook and bring in lots of light.
September 18, 2013 at 11:34PM     
Victoria
Karen,
Very basic lounge layout attached. Want the doors to lounge central on the adjoining wall. Plumbing is above utility/laundry, there is a soil pipe between external door and door to garage.
Kevjvek, I need to house 3 cats in the laundry so am not willing to shrink the width further. There are lots of amazing pantry cabinets I have seen, either custom or off the shelf, in the UK which are standard depth. Thanks for your compliments on the breakfast nook, the room is east facing so is great in the morning.
September 19, 2013 at 10:17AM     
Victoria
We can change the way the folding sliding door stacks, or it can stack externally. If we have sofa in the nook I'm not sure where I'd put the TV.
September 19, 2013 at 10:19AM     
Victoria
Laundry/utility is 2m deep.
September 19, 2013 at 10:23AM     
Victoria
Karen, I got the idea for the exterior fireplace on the back of the lounge fireplace from Houzz. I like to give my architect a few interesting things to think about...
September 19, 2013 at 10:48AM     
architectrunnerguy
Any chance of eliminating the wall between the kitchen and the lounge with the exception of a couple of space defining columns? The rear of my house is exactly like yours to even the 45* extension in the back with even the same kind of window seats in there. I know different cultures live different ways (I'm American) so that may be too open for you but in my house it works great and LOOKS great too!
September 19, 2013 at 11:32AM     
Victoria
Thanks for the suggestion, I want the wall to allow us to have a separate area from the children to relax in.
September 19, 2013 at 11:39AM     
Victoria
Room is already 24+ ft wide by 20ft should hopefully have room for all we need.
September 19, 2013 at 11:41AM     
Kevin
OK, one more walk-in pantry idea...if it doesn't work for you I promise I'll stop ;-)

If you float the refrigerator and oven out from the wall 400mm and put cabinets behind them (accessible from the sides, of course) then you can put a walk-in style pantry in between. This eats up 400mm or so of floor space, but the kitchen is so large that it doesn't seem like you'd miss it. Your laundry/mudroom then gets even larger because it soaks up the space you originally allotted for the pantry.

I assumed you're using a 42" cabinet depth fridge. If you're using a standard size then you could fiddle with things a bit.

I've also included an option with an island that's squared off.
September 19, 2013 at 1:06PM     
Victoria
Thanks kevjvek! That's a really original idea we hadn't thought of.
September 19, 2013 at 1:14PM     
Kevin
Incidentally, the pantry here is a little shallower (1.1m versus 1.5m) than the previous version. You could always pull the fridge/oven out further to increase the depth. Of course you'd have to slide your island out to match.

The island as shown (including butcher block) is a respectable 3.9m x 1.4m
September 19, 2013 at 1:16PM     
Victoria
It's very important for an island to be respectable :-)
September 19, 2013 at 1:18PM     
Kevin
Naturally.
September 19, 2013 at 1:19PM     
Kevin
Thinking about your TV conundrum: you could put in a 300mm-deep bookcase on the lounge wall next to the nook. TV goes in there, you just need to make sure to leave enough wall space to accommodate the lounge door in it's open position.
September 19, 2013 at 1:39PM     
kathy
What a beautiful place this will be - I do like the sunny(hopefully) corner area - but I have a few thoughts/questions:

First - in these last plans of Kevin's, add a door to the bathroom - access for the kid playing outside who just 'has to go' -without going through and muddying up the kitchen.

What are the 2 rooms 'below' the adult lounge - towards front of house? Is one of them a dining room? I think I remember a comment that the middle one will be kids' play room? Is that correct? So only main tv viewing room will be the kitchen? Do you want to watch tv as a family?

The reason for all these questions: you have a beautiful 20' x 24' space - but it seems to me that the balance between kitchen work space and dining/sitting room/tv room is off. If this room really is your only dining room, you have allotted storage and prep area for dishware/food for dozens of people, but no place to seat them.

And if it's the only family sitting place - where do you sit altogether to talk, watch tv, read - none of these layouts have room for an easy chair or two. I guess I'm not sure how big the nook is - how much seating you could have there - either as sectional sofa or dining table and chairs. But even so, it can only be one or the other - you still need space for the other function (sitting or dining).

All this is just my opinion of how I see the space - no criticism intended -just want to make sure you've thought it all through.

But I sure hope you post pictures when you are done - because I'm sure it will be beautiful!
September 19, 2013 at 9:02PM     
Victoria
Thanks for the time you have spent looking at the plans Kathy. The kitchen will only be used for casual family meals, we also have a formal dining room. We will use the lounge to watch TV as a family, the children have another TV / cinema room upstairs. The room between lounge and dining room is a study.
Undoubtedly we will spend a large amount of time in the kitchen, but it is not our only space so it does not need to cater for large numbers of diners or TV watchers.
A friend of mine made a comment that the kitchen shouldn't look as if it was an apartment with everything in one space, and I kind of know what he meant. I'd like a small area for relaxing and a nook for breakfast. The area for benches is over 2m each side so should sit enough people. I may yet change it for a sectional, but ideally I'd like to avoid all sitting in a row at a breakfast bar. I like to be able to look my children in the eye when we are dining.
September 20, 2013 at 12:00AM     
Victoria
I also don't want too much kitchen. I'm reluctant to install expensive cabinetry which sits empty!
September 20, 2013 at 12:05AM     
OnePlan
good morning !!
saw these - thought if you had them as a feature in the formal lounge - you could use the reverse side ( ie the bit in the kitchen / family room ) as a blackboard for menus and declarations of undying love for Grand Designs etc etc !!!
will also irradiate the interference from door swing ! these are country style - can be more formal if panelled style and painted when teamed with panelled style painted walls either side (painted the same - so give effect of one long panelled wall )

September 20, 2013 at 12:17AM     
kathy
Ok - that makes more sense!
Yes -sitting around the table with family is much nicer than sitting in a row of strangers like in a cafeteria. Also, being able to look your children in the eye is very important - gotta keep them wary of the mom glare:)
September 20, 2013 at 7:43AM     
kathy
I'd still be leery about the amount of storage you have planned. You have 20' on cooktop/window wall, approx 13' on frig/oven/pantry wall plus sink dishwasher island. That's a lot imo. Have you counted how many linear feet you have now and what more you need to plan for? That should be the first step in determining how much cabinetry you need.

Now I could see the last 4-6-8 feet of the stove wall being a desk - homework for kids, kitchen laptop for recipes/bills, etc, charging stations for phones, maybe the tv fits here?

I think I'd rather see the lounge wall empty - with art - but no more cabinetry.

Thinking outloud - can the island be L-shaped? Then you could have a matching banquette area. you decide which is table and which is comfy seating.
September 20, 2013 at 8:09AM     
Victoria
Kathy, thanks again. The wall was shown with worktop purely for indicative purposes by the architect. If I have a large island I am more inclined to have tall units elsewhere.
An L-shaped island has been suggested and I am seriously considering it.
September 20, 2013 at 8:14AM     
Victoria
Just wondering if anyone else with suggestions is online? All ideas welcome!
September 20, 2013 at 1:29PM     
Kevin
Consider an island with seating on two (or three) sides: http://woodworkscabinetry.com/#kitchens_14
September 20, 2013 at 1:57PM     
Kevin
Also, I have a kitchen with 16ft of cabs, plus island, plus walk-in pantry, plus cabinets over fridge and ovens. At least for me (a bit of an avid cook) it's not too much cabinetry/storage. In fact I often wish I had more drawer space.
September 20, 2013 at 2:01PM     
mefor
I quite like the idea of L shaped with built in banquette seating for family table, then you can have casual lounge seats in the glassed area.
September 20, 2013 at 2:01PM     
mefor
Similar to this Victoria :)
September 20, 2013 at 2:05PM     
Victoria
I just wonder if I'm so messy I'll spill stuff from the top go the island on to the seating!
September 20, 2013 at 2:18PM     
mefor
You can have a slightly raised bit in the back of island, sort of a shelf, that way no one can see if the worktop is untidy.i have one on my island, so you can't see the island worktop from breakfast room , but the rooms are open to each other. About 7-8 inches tall plus a soapstone top to match the countertop. It's great :)
September 20, 2013 at 2:53PM     
mefor
It's quite good to put the electric in too. Outlets, or points I guess you'd call them.
September 20, 2013 at 2:54PM     
mefor
You should make the island a bit deeper than those ones I posted, so that the raised bit doesn't take away from the workspace.
September 20, 2013 at 2:56PM     
September 20, 2013 at 3:19PM     
Victoria
We call outlets sockets.
September 20, 2013 at 3:20PM     
mefor
Yes, but perhaps not so deep for the raised bit. This took forever to find, my kitchen near the end of construction, see how narrow raised bit is? You obviously don't need to go so traditional, but I live in old stone house so it fits.
September 20, 2013 at 3:44PM     
kathy
]

Hi Victoria

This photo is not quite your style -lol- but it shows the banquette back raised in comparison to the island. No splashes and room for your electrical outlets
September 20, 2013 at 5:01PM     
kathy
[houzz=Cumrew]

Another photo - this one showing another way to combine island with a table.

Because you have room for a long island, you could even do a drop down of the counter to standard table height,

[houzz=Israelevitz]
[houzz=West Chop Residence Kitchen]
September 20, 2013 at 5:14PM     
Victoria
Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. I prefer the idea of a banquette in the island as I can build in the seating and have storage under.
September 20, 2013 at 10:59PM     
Victoria
This is also good.

September 21, 2013 at 12:15AM     
Victoria
And this one...

September 21, 2013 at 12:16AM     
Victoria
Using the limited capability I have tried to take some comments I have received both from this discussion and elsewhere and adapt the plan I posted before. What do you think?
September 21, 2013 at 1:17AM     
OnePlan
Less walking too and fro this way ! And the higher wall creates a nice way of averting people's gaze from the mayhem behind ! So in the bay ... Maybe a couple of snuggler chairs and a lamp table ?
Or a low corner sofa !?
Or collection of tub chairs ?
September 21, 2013 at 1:19AM     
OnePlan
Suggest if there's no water upstairs for sink where you have drawn it - have the sink area on the wall backing on to the laundry and the cooking area on the two window wall ( for easy extraction ) this will keep your plumbing costs down
September 21, 2013 at 1:21AM     
OnePlan
Something along these lines perhaps - if plumbing ok to do then add a prep sink in island too?! And dependent on height of windows - add glass small wall units above to link to the tall units. If not enough room - then consider shelves across the windows so you can grow herbs on them .
September 21, 2013 at 1:49AM     
Victoria
We were tweaking at the same time...
September 21, 2013 at 1:55AM     
Victoria
Because of issues with layout in laundry, we have decided to move door to end near shower room, original pantry entry.
September 21, 2013 at 1:57AM     
OnePlan
Is that issues that the builder has brought up ?! Or layout wise ?!
September 21, 2013 at 1:58AM     
Victoria
Layout
September 21, 2013 at 2:08AM     
sugaapple
Hi, I'd like to contribute one teensy little thing to the discussion. Did my kitchen over 3 years ago and dropped a small fortune on a Miele speed oven. It's a combo microwave-convection oven- broiler with full capabilities for each function. It eliminates the need for separate micro and provides a second oven. Best kitchen buy ever. I've never regretted it. Sorry if I sound like an ad but I love that thing.
Also, spend some time thinking about exactly where
/how you use your kitchen equipment and how that will affect drawer size, numbers and depth. Measure even your cereal boxes to make sure they will fit in the selected space.
Make sure you communicate very clearly with your builder. I ended up with my kitchen bar being several inches too high for my short person.
Best of luck on your designing
September 21, 2013 at 2:21AM     
OnePlan
Layout can be fixed ! - well usually !! Lol ! Am adding an ' out of the box idea' don't know if I should as it's a bit out there - but gives you a coats area in the laundry bit and the big pantry that you like .... It's a work in progress so über messy !!
September 21, 2013 at 2:25AM     
Victoria
Oneplan, I'm slower at this than you...
September 21, 2013 at 2:37AM     
Victoria
My husband is keen to avoid a corridor effect as you enter the kitchen.
September 21, 2013 at 2:40AM     
OnePlan
I've been doing it for 28 years !! I'm much slower than you think !!!
September 21, 2013 at 2:46AM     
OnePlan
It's one of those projects where you really need to spend time getting all the facets just right - too complex to do over a thread on here I think .... Happy to do you a discounted rate to design the kitchen and laundry / utility / mud room as a multiple ... You can shop around with your own set of plans and truly compare like for like that way, also might give you direct access to Howdens if you take your own set if plans and item lists in !
September 21, 2013 at 3:04AM     
Victoria
Thanks, the thread was simply to get ideas and different view points. My husband gets discount at Howdens too. Don't think they do in frame kitchens though. Would you PM me details of your pricing so I can look at it?
September 21, 2013 at 3:20AM     
OnePlan
I can't contact you - as there's not a way to do it in Houzz - but you can email me ?! And I can email you back with the info - Houzz mail doesn't allow attachments ! So standard email works best ! :-)
one.plan@virgin.net
September 21, 2013 at 3:38AM     
Victoria
Just a thought, I know I said windows etc can't move, but what if I lose the window near the folding sliding doors? It's a north facing wall and will have a fence 1m away so won't let in much light. May help with runs.
September 21, 2013 at 11:40PM     
OnePlan
If the room is tall and as it's north facing with no real view I would suggest one long shallow window all along the top for morning sunshine into the room and general daylight the rest of the day!
September 22, 2013 at 1:26AM     
Victoria
Great idea, but unlikely to make it past our very strict planners. Love clerestory windows.
September 22, 2013 at 1:49AM     
Victoria
This is also a beautiful idea, my windows aren't this big, but would still work. Would also disguise lack of view.

September 22, 2013 at 2:24AM     
September 22, 2013 at 2:24AM     
Victoria
Don't you just love Houzz?
September 22, 2013 at 2:25AM     
OnePlan
An idea for Windows on north wall ?!?! ( and a bump too !)

October 6, 2013 at 2:15PM     
Victoria
Thanks! Great idea, keep them coming people :-)
October 6, 2013 at 10:24PM     
shelleyuk
I like that picture (although open shelf cleaning can be a PITA if you have lots of stuff on them)
October 7, 2013 at 1:01AM     
Paint suggestion?
With newly stained concrete floors we are trying to...
New place for 2 "sotto specchio"
I got 2 "sotto specchio's" unfortunately I do not know...
POLL: Who's the messy one in your house?
Even in a house full of neatniks, there is ALWAYS one...
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...
Need help choosing nightstands
I have an gorgeous full size antique oak bed in the...